这就是问题的关键
That’s really what it comes down to.
(厄尔)我不久前参加了一个航运会议
(Earle) I attended a shipping conference not long ago
会议组织者开场说
where the organizers started the conference by saying,
“如果我们在50年前
“if only we knew 50 years ago
就知道我们今天所知道的关于海洋中的声音的事情
what we know today about sound in the ocean,
我们就可以设计出不仅更安静
we could design propellers
而且更高效的螺旋桨
that are not only much quieter, but are more efficient.”
”设计一个更安静的船
Designing a quieter ship
将会提高燃料效率
will result in increased fuel efficiency,
降低船主的成本
which is reduced cost to the owner.
我们谈论的是每艘船每年燃料成本高达数千万美元的船舶
We’re talking about ships that have fuel costs, on a per‐vessel basis, tens of millions of dollars a year.
所以,设计更高效的船只非常有意义
So, designing more efficient vessels just makes a whole lot of sense.
美国海军最关心的是在海上行动时尽可能安静
It is in the U. S. Navy’s best interest to be as quiet as possible when we operate at sea.
船体形状在过去几十年里发生了巨大的变化
Hull forms are changing dramatically over the last several decades.
你只要看看就会发现
And you can just look out and see
双体船形状的船更多了
that you have more catamaran‐shaped hulls,
水下的金属更少了
where you have less metal actually in the water.
这样就减少了声音
And so that is reducing the sound
也减少了摩擦
and also reduces the friction,
这意味着它更节省燃料,也更安静
which means that it’s more fuel‐efficient and quieter.
(男)多年来研究人员和海军
(Man) Researchers and Navies have been modifying their ships
一直在修改他们的船只来减少噪音
to reduce noise for… for years.
商业船只可以减少90%它们在水中产生的噪音
Commercial ships can reduce the noise that they put in the water by some 90 percent.
这非常显著
That’s significant.
另一种减少噪音的方法是减速
Another way to reduce the noise is go a little slower.
(麦克亚当斯)克里斯·克拉克也主张对货运船实行速度限制
(McAdams) Chris Clark also advocates speed limits for cargo ships
以及重新规划航线
as well as rerouting shipping lanes
避开明显影响栖息地的地方
where they are clearly impacting habitats.
(克拉克)船舶在卸货之前
(Clark) The average waiting time for a ship when it gets to port,
到达港口的平均等待时间为 3 天
before it unloads its cargo, is 3 days.
慢一点,节省数十亿美元的燃料成本
Wouldn’t it make sense to maybe go a little slower
不是很合理吗?
and save billions of dollars in fuel costs?
然后当到达岸边时
And then when you get to shore
有非常高效的系统把货物从船上卸下来
you have a very efficient system of getting your cargo off the ship,
而不是坐在那里3天
rather than sitting there for 3 days.
所以减少噪音可能是一个三赢的局面
So reducing noise could be a win‐win‐win.
对于不得不应对海洋中噪音的海洋哺乳动物来说是一种胜利
A win for marine mammals having to deal with noise in the ocean.
对于气候和不得不应对空气污染的人类来说是一种胜利
A win for the climate and for humans who have to deal with air pollution.
甚至说是…
And even a…
工业的胜利,在船舶的使用寿命内节省资金
A win for industry, saving money over the life of a ship.
(鲍尔科姆)就人类生命而言
(Balcomb) In terms of human life, there is a threat
他们必须为某种威胁做好准备,并为此进行演习
that they have to prepare for and then practice for.
我认为他们应该避免问题
I think they should avoid the problems.
通过不在你知道敏感动物所在的地方进行演习来避免它们
And you avoid ’em by not practicing in where you know sensitive animals are.
繁殖区,觅食区,迁徙路线…
Breeding areas, feeding areas, migratory routes…
当有动物出现时,在别的地方测试
When there are animals present, test someplace else.
[爆♥炸♥声]
[Blasting]
(斯汀)我们每天都在更加努力地
(Sting) We are searching harder every day
到处寻找更多更多的石油
for more and more oil everywhere.
所以如果有一种技术可以减少它对声音世界的侵害
So if there are… there is a technology to make it less, uh, abusive to the… to the Sonic World,
那么我们应该拥抱它
then we should… We should embrace that,
不管代价是什么
no matter what the cost.
除了每9秒引爆一颗炸♥弹♥之外
Are there alternative technologies,
还有没有其他的替代技术
other than setting off a bomb every 9 seconds,
现在就可以使用的?
that are available to us today?
答案是,当然有
And the answer is, you bet there are.
可以比爆♥炸♥安静得多
And you can be profoundly quieter than the explosion.
例如,有一种新兴的技术叫做海洋振动源
For example, there’s an emerging technology called marine vibroseis
它不会产生爆♥炸♥
that doesn’t produce an explosion.
它产生一种连续的,非常低频的声音
It produces a continuous, very low‐frequency sound
比爆♥炸♥弱千倍,也不那么侵入性
that is thousands of times less intense and less invasive than an explosion.
而且它还能产生一个分辨率更高的地球图像
And it also produces a much higher resolution image of the Earth.
它无法根治问题
It won’t cure the problem.
仍然会有影响
There will still be impacts.
但至少可以降低影响
But it would at least reduce the fever.
海洋噪音的一个好处是
The one good thing about ocean noise
当你停止制♥造♥噪音时
is that when you stop making noise,
它就会消失
it goes away.
[动物叫声]
[Animals calling]
(男)我从一开始就相信
(Man) I’ve always believed, from the very beginning
只要我开始斗争,开始战斗
of my struggle, my fight, that we…
我们就会赢得这场战争
We are going to win this.
我已经成为了一个祖父
I have become a grandfather.
我一直在想着谁是后来者
I’m all the time thinking about who is coming behind us.
我们的孩子,我们的孙辈
Our children, our grandchildren
以及他们的后人
and who comes behind them.
我们给下一代留下了什么?
What are we leaving for the next generations?
他们能生存吗?
Will they survive?
(厄尔)50年前我们不可能知道的事情
(Earle) Things that we could not know, going back 50 years ago,
现在都变得清晰起来
now are coming into focus.
海洋,在人类历史上
The ocean, through all of human history,
使我们能够茁壮成长
has made it possible for us to thrive,
生活,拥有一个安全的未来
to live, to have a secure future.
我们不能回到过去
We can’t go back.
但我们可以让未来变得更好
But we can make things better going forward.
这是回报海洋的时候了
This is the time to return the favor.
我的父亲常说,“人们保护他们所爱的东西,”
My father used to say, “people protect what they love.”
”我一直告诉他
And I kept telling him,
“你怎么能保护你不理解的东西呢?”
“how can you protect what you don’t understand?”
现在我们开始理解了
And now we’re starting to understand.
而且这些信息
And that information,
我们需要把它带到每个地方,在每个学校里
we need to bring it everywhere, in every school.
我们需要让孩子们出去玩水
We need to get the kids out, wet.
我有一个4岁半的女儿
I have a daughter who’s 4 1/2,
她还没有见过鲸鱼
and she hasn’t seen a whale yet.
我想确保她看到鲸鱼
And I wanna make sure that she sees a whale
她的孩子看到鲸鱼,她们的孩子看到鲸鱼
and that her kids see whales and their kids see whales.
(男)哦,我的天!
(Man) Oh, my God!
(团体)哦,我的天!
(Group) Oh, my God!
(男)看看他的肚子!看那条白色的!
(Man) Look at his belly! Look at the white!
哇!哇!
Wow! Whoa!
哦,我的天!
Oh, my God!
好吧,那可能是我一生中最美好的时刻之一
Okay, that might have been one of the greater moments of my life.
那种经历有一种难以置信的感觉
There’s something incredible about that experience.
而且这个星球不仅仅是关于我们
And the planet is not just about us.
我们只是这里的一种物种
We’re… we’re one species here.
我们没有成为更好的管家是非常不负责任的
And it’s incredibly irresponsible for us not to be better stewards.
而且这无关科学…科学只在其中扮演了一个角色
And it’s not about science… Science plays a role in it.
你使用科学
You use science.
但它真正归结于,我们…
But it really comes down to, what do we…
我们珍视什么?
What do we value?
我们珍视一个有生命的海洋
We value a living ocean.
我们正在让海洋处于危险之中
We’re putting the ocean at risk.
如果让海洋处于危险之中
And if you put the ocean at risk,
就是让我们所有人处于危险之中
you’re putting all of us at risk.
[鲸鱼叫声]
[Whale calling]