I don’t know what it tasted like.
可能 嗯 有点像柠檬水
Maybe, um… lemonade kind of thing.
不是很甜 但也没有像苹果醋
Wasn’t too sweet, but it was not apple cider vinegar.
这让我紧张起来了
But this has got me nervous.
我一点都不喜欢辣椒
I do not like chilli at all.
希望会有效果
Please work.
我不觉得辣
Nothing.
哦 天哪 喉咙像是在着火
Oh! It’s hit my throat, though!
我的食道里面可没有什么奇迹莓
There’s no miracle berry on my oesophagus.
可恶
Damn.
这个味蕾实验
This experiment with my tastebuds
让我意识到了食品公♥司♥已知很久的事
made me realise what the food companies have always known…
在任何食物中增加糖分会使之更加好吃
that adding sweetness can make anything palatable.
不好意思
I’m so sorry.
额 几乎所有事物
Well, almost anything.
现在是第三十五天 我发现越来越难遵守的实验规则
It was now day 35, and the rule of the experiment
就是运动了
I was finding increasingly hard to maintain was exercise.
我的积极性骤降
My motivation had plummeted.
我的心脏疼
My heart hurts.
凯尔特美食女王
你好 莎伦
Hello, Sharon.
感觉怎么样
How are you feeling?
如果你见到我的话 你不会认出我的
Well, if you could see me you would not recognise me,
我长了一些粉刺
’cause there’s a few pimples that have arrived,
脸上胖了许多
there’s a lot of fat and fullness in my face,
肚子上加了游泳圈
and my tummy is really quite something to behold.
我没法再穿上我喜欢的新短裤了
I can’t fit into my favourite new shorts anymore,
这件事情真的让人沮丧
which is a bit disappointing.
什么时候出现的粉刺
When did the pimples break out?
大约三天前
About three days ago.
嗯 或许是你的肝脏作出的反应
Um… it’s probably your liver reacting.
通常皮肤问题
Often skin conditions are related
是和肝脏机能下降联♥系♥在一起的
to poor liver functioning.
如果一个人的饮食含糖量过高
So, if someone’s on a sort of, like, high-processed sugar diet,
会体现在眼睛上 眼袋会很明显
会体现在皮肤上
you’ll see it in their skin.
不论是这样还是无精打采的
Whether they’re here or they’re just really drawn and lethargic.
糖对我身体上的影响是非常明显的
Sugar’s effects on me physically were obvious,
但是我对糖的渴望以及糖对我的精神损害
but my cravings for it and the mental toll it was taking
促使我去探索糖对我的大脑产生什么样的影响
prompted me to explore what it was doing to my brain.
所以 我带着我的粉刺脸 来到了俄勒冈研究所
So I took my pimply face to the Oregon Research Institute.
这一组我非常信任的科学家
This group of scientists, who I’m trusting enormously,
他们拥有这个巨大的磁力吸引机器
own this colossal magnetic sucking machine
叫做 功能性磁共振成像仪
called an FMRI…
他们将把我的大脑置入其内
which they are going to put me and my brain into.
他们会给我看含糖量高的
They will then show me images of this high-sugar,
低脂奶昔的图片
low-fat milkshake and then feed me the milkshake
并且通过一种特殊的管子让我食用这种奶昔
Nthrough a special megastraw.
他们将拍摄我大脑的图片
并且向我展示产生了怎样的反应
and show me how it reacted.
哇哦
Wow.
现在 我要爬进我的大脑里
Now I’m gonna climb into my own brain
来看一看糖是如何影响大脑的
and see what effects sugar just had on it.
首先 大脑要接收到刺♥激♥
Now, the first step is that we see what’s called a cue,
接收到那个 诱因
or a trigger…
在我的这个例子里面 是奶昔
which, in my case, was the milkshake.
它可以是事物的照片 或是真实的事物本身
It can be a picture of one or the real thing.
现在我们接收到了这个视觉刺♥激♥
Now, when we see this sugary cue, or trigger,
大脑会释放一种叫做多巴胺的化学物质
a chemical called dopamine is released in our brain.
在之前糖是稀缺的时候 这是进化产生的欲望
This is an evolutionary urge when sweetness was rare,
所以 当我们看到它的时候 大脑会说
so when we saw it, our brain said, “Get that,
去吃吧 你需要糖类来提供能量而且你会感觉舒服
“’cause you need it for quick energy and to feel good.”
下一步呢 我们就会摄入含糖的食物
Now, the next step is that we get the sugary item.
把糖放在嘴里 感受它的甜味
We bring it to our mouth and we taste its sweetness.
此时 类罂粟碱
It’s then that chemicals called opioids
以及β内啡肽会释放 我们因此感觉相当棒
糖分摄入的奖励区域和尼古丁
Sugar loads have the same reward areas as nicotine,
可♥卡♥因♥ 或者性♥爱♥的奖励区域是一样的
cocaine and sex!
可惜这种感觉没法持续
But it doesn’t last long.
如果我们经常吃含糖食物
Now, if some of us eat sugary foods often enough
并且建立这种快乐感的奖励机制
and establish this happy feeling of reward,
这样做的话会产生潜意识的习惯
it can create subconscious or mindless habits,
这种习惯很容易被更多糖类食物的照片所激发
which are easily triggered by more images of sugary foods.
糖里面的果糖的部分
Throw into the mix that the fructose half of sugar
会影响我们的食欲控制中心
also affects our appetite control centres,
而葡萄糖部分则会影响我们的情绪
plus the glucose half affects our moods,
一瞬间 我们手中
and suddenly we have a very volatile combination
就有了一非常不稳定的结合物
on our hands.
文献中其中
One of the very interesting emerging findings
有趣的一项发现是
in this literature is
摄入越多的高糖分食物
the more you eat high-sugar foods,
你就会越渴望摄入高糖分的食物
the more you’re gonna desire high-sugar foods
并且希望持续摄入
and wanna continue eating them.
这种渴望持续摄入高糖分食物的欲望
This desire to wanna keep eating more sugary foods
听起来很像一种上瘾行为
sounds a lot like addictive behaviour.
塞尔日·阿曼 现居法国波尔多
Serge Ahmed, who’s now in Bordeaux, in France,
发表了一项实验成果
published a really cool study where he basically showed that
表明比起可♥卡♥因♥ 老鼠会愿意为了糖做出更多的努力
rats will work harder for sugar than they will for cocaine.
不像那些毒品交易者
Unlike the drug dealer, who’s, you know,
偷偷躲在某个角落
squired away some place hiding,
那些食物巨头的广♥告♥是无处不在的
the food giants are in your face everywhere you go.
在那些食物巨头的会议室里
In the boardrooms of these food giants,
上瘾 是个肮脏的词汇
‘addiction’ is a dirty word.
当谈起肥胖和疾病
When it comes to obesity and illness,
食品行业总会坚持认为 个人需要
the food industry have always argued that people need to take
为自己的食物选择负责
personal responsibility for their food choices.
当谈到吃的时候
When it comes to eating,
胖子通常很愚蠢
fat people are basically very stupid.
不是的 这周我不在家
No, but, you see, I was away this weekend
而在朋友房♥子里 要保持是非常困难的
and it is difficult in friends’ houses.
好了 莱特夫人 不要再吃巧克力了
OK, Mrs Wright, no more chocolates.
在不止五十年间的时间里
For more than 50 years,
食品行业的人坚持说肥胖是由过多卡路里
the food industry has insisted that obesity is caused
可同时没有足够的运动引起的
by too many calories and not enough exercise.
这暗示了 那些超重的人
Which implies that anyone overweight
要么懒惰 要么贪婪
is simply lazy or greedy.
我们的实验才进行到一半
OK, so, we just passed halfway.
我一生中从来没有计算我我的卡路里摄入量
And I’ve never counted calories in my life.
我尽量为实验表现的最好
I’m trying my best in this experiment.
很明显的 要做到精确很难
It’s hard to be accurate, obviously.
可是 目前看来 我的卡路里摄入
But it looks like my calories so far are pretty much
和实验之前 基本一样
exactly the same as they were pre-experiment.
这感觉很奇怪
And that feels strange because
因为我感觉上好像是吃了好多
I feel like I’m eating a lot more.
可是我能看出来
But I can see here that
实验之前 我吃
when I was eating, pre-experiment,
鳄梨和坚果什么的
avocado and nuts and stuff,
脂类物质中的卡路里远远比糖类里面的要高
there’s a lot more calories in fat than there is in sugar.
事实上 差不多是二比一的关系
So… in fact, it’s half.
比如 每克脂肪中含有九卡
Like, nine calories per gram of fat
而每克糖类只有四卡
whereas sugar’s only got four calories,
所以我现在明白 为什么说食用糖类是好的
so I can see why we’re told that sugar’s OK
为什么不要摄入脂肪
and don’t eat fat,
因为糖类的卡路里相对少
’cause there’s less calories.
可是 当我像以前一样摄入等量的卡路里
But… I’m eating the same amount of calories
我的肝脏脂肪含量增加
as I did before but my liver’s turned to fat,
我的肚子快赶上我怀孕的女友的肚子了
my belly’s chasing my lady’s.
我们现在知道 这会对我的大脑有影响
It’s doing something to my brain, we know that now.
而且现在我觉得饿
And I’m not feeling full.
所以我觉得糖类中的卡路里
So it feels like the calories from sugar
与其他的卡路里的表现不同
behave very differently to other calories.
糖类产业很依赖的理念是
The sugar industry absolutely depended on this idea
这只是能量平衡的问题

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!