他们看到这些时 完全吓坏了
and they saw this happen, they were absolutely horrified…
因为他们认为 他只要半小时就完成的工作
’cause they thought, he did this work in probably half an hour…
如果他们能在一年内完成
If they could have done it in a year,
他们都不会扔到废纸篓里
they wouldn’t have thrown it in the wastepaper basket.
而是把它们裱起来挂到墙上
They would’ve put it in a frame on their walls.
由于我疏于学习
Because of my lack of work…
我打算解决理论物理的问题
I had planned to get through the final exam…
来通过我的期末考试
by doing problems in theoretical physics…
并避开需要事实性知识的问题
and avoiding any questions that required factual knowledge.
我做的不是很好
I didn’t do very well.
我处在一等和二等学位的边界
I was on the borderline between a first- and second-class degree…
我不得不通过面试来决定我能够获得第几等
and I had to be interviewed to determine which I should get.
他们询问我的未来计划
They asked me about my future plans.
我回答到 如果他们给我第一等
I replied, if they gave me a first…
我就会去剑桥大学
I would go to Cambridge.
如果我获得二等学位
If I only got a second…
我就留在牛津
I would stay in Oxford.
他们给了我一等学位
They gave me a first.
我带着史蒂芬和他的弟弟
I drove Stephen and his young brother…
去沃本公园
out to Woburn Park…
他爬上一棵树
and he climbed a tree.
我想他在测试自己 我没有意识到
He was testing himself out, I think. I didn’t realize.
他能够爬树
He did manage to climb a tree…
沿着树枝把自己弄下来
and go along a branch of it and get himself down.
我想他开始认识到自己的双手
I think he began to notice that his hands…
没有曾经那么好用了
were less useful than they had been…
但是他没有告诉我们
but he didn’t tell us.
大学里有些垂直的楼梯
Univ has these square staircases…
圆角但却是垂直的
which are round but they’re square.
他从一个房♥间出来
It was just coming down from one of the rooms.
史蒂芬从楼梯上摔了下来
Steve actually fell on the stairs coming downstairs…
一直滚到底部
and kind of bounced all the way down to the bottom.
我不知道他是否失去了意识 但他失忆了
I don’t know if he lost consciousness, but he lost his memory.
我们把他弄到一个地方 不是我房♥间也不是别人的房♥间
We took him to either my room or someone’s room.
他第一个问题就问 “我是谁”
The first question of course was, “Who am I?”
我们告诉他 “你是史蒂芬·霍金”
We told him, “You’re Steve Hawking.”
接下来他立马又问了一遍 “我是谁”
Right away he would ask again, “Who am I?”
“史蒂芬·霍金”
“Steve Hawking.”
接着 过了几分钟 他想起他是史蒂芬·霍金
Then, after a couple of minutes, he remembered he was Steve Hawking.
然后我们问他 “你还记得星期天晚上”
Then we’d say, “Do you remember going down to the bar…
“你去酒吧喝酒么”
and having a drink on Sunday night?”
或者 “你还记得星期一我们在河上划船么”
Or, “Do you remember coxing on the river on Monday?”
他的记忆逐渐恢复了
And his memory came back gradually…
直到他能记起几天前的一些事
until he could remember the previous day’s events,
然后是几小时前
and then the previous hour…
后来的两个小时他能记起每一件事
and by the end of the two hours, he could remember everything.
问题是 “你可能因为这个损伤了”
The question was, “Well, maybe you’ve lost…
“一些脑细胞”
some of your mind because of this.”
然后史蒂芬说 “这样的话 我要参加门萨考试”
And so Steve decided, “Well, I’ll take the Mensa test.”
我们回应道 “你一定会进的”
We said, “Of course you’ll get in.”
他回来很高兴他能够进入门萨
But he came back delighted he was able to get into Mensa.
极其欣喜
Absolutely delighted.
我感觉理论物理
I felt that there were two areas…
有两个领域
of theoretical physics…
我在剑桥可能会研究的两个领域
I might study at Cambridge.
一个是宇宙学 研究宏观
One was cosmology, the study of the very large.
另一个是基本粒子
The other was elementary particles…
研究微观
the study of the very small.
然而 我认为基础粒子
However, I thought elementary particles…
缺乏吸引力
were less attractive…
因为没有合适的理论
because there was no proper theory.
他们所要做的
All they could do…
就是粒子的分类
was arrange the particles in families…
就像植物学
like in botany.
而在宇宙学里 换句话说
In cosmology, on the other hand…
有定义明确的理论
there was a well-defined theory
爱因斯坦的相对论
Einstein’s general theory of relativity.
那一年很冷
It was a very cold year…
维鲁拉米恩池塘
and the ice on Verulamium Pond…
都结了冰
it was frozen there…
我们一起出去滑冰
and we all went skating.
史蒂芬滑的相当好
And Stephen managed to skate fairly well…
但是后来 他离我非常的近
but then, he and I were close together.
他滑冰的水平不是很高
He wasn’t skating in a very advanced way…
但我会那样滑
but nor was I, if it comes to that.
他摔倒了
He fell…
爬不起来
and he couldn’t get up.
我带着他来到咖啡馆暖身
So I took him to a caf茅 to warm up…
他告诉我关于这件事的一切
and he told me then all about it.
并且是确诊的
And it was diagnosed.
我坚持要见他的医生
I insisted on going to see his doctor…
因为不管他还能活多久
because it seemed to me however long you’re going to live…
我都想知道有没有什么方法或什么人能够帮助他
there’s probably something someone can do about it
至少能让人更容易接受
at least anyhow to make things easier for people.
我不想提医生的名字
I won’t mention the doctor’s name…
我和他在伦敦的诊所见面
but I got to see him at the London Clinic.
他见到我很惊奇 我竟然不辞劳苦地找到他
He was rather surprised that I should bother to come ’round to see him.
毕竟 我只是史蒂芬的母亲
After all, I was only Stephen’s mother.
他非常友好 他同意和我正式会面
He was quite nice. He agreed to see me in a rather grand way.
他说道 “是的 非常抱歉”
And he said, “Yes, it’s all very sad.
“才华横溢的年轻人在他的年轻时即将陨落”
Brilliant young man cut off in the prime of his youth.”
当然我问 “我们该怎么做”
But of course I said, “What can we do?
“有什么我们可以做的”
What can we do to sort of
“需要做理疗么”
Can we get physiotherapy?
“有没有什么能帮到忙吗”
Can we get anything like that that will help in any way?”
他说 “事实上 没有”
He said, “Well, actually, no.
“真的 我不能帮上一点忙 差不多 就是这样”
There’s nothing I can do, really. More or less, that’s it.”
我21岁生日后不久
Shortly after my 21 st birthday…
我来到医院检查
I went into hospital for tests.
他们取了我的手臂肌肉样本
They took a muscle sample from my arm…
把电极插在我身上
stuck electrodes into me…
把显影剂注入我的脊椎
and injected some radiopaque fluid into my spine…
然后把床倾斜用X光扫描
and watched it going up and down with X-rays…
从头扫到尾
as they tilted the bed.
我被诊断为ALS
I was diagnosed as having ALS
肌萎缩性脊髓侧索硬化症
amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
又叫做运动神经元疾病
or motor neuron disease, as it is also known.
医生没有治疗方案
The doctors could offer no cure…
告诉我只剩下2年半的时间可活
and gave me 21/2 years to live.
我来到毕业生休息室
I went into the graduates’ common room…
找有谁能一起吃饭的
looking, really, for someone to have lunch with.
没有人我期望的那样能够陪我一起吃午饭
There was nobody around that I particularly wished to have lunch with…
这时 史蒂芬进了房♥间
and then Stephen walked through the door.
我不知道他在牛津干什么 我已经忘记了
I don’t know what he was doing at Oxford. I’ve certainly forgotten now.
史蒂芬慷慨地出去
And so Stephen generously went off…
买♥♥了些喝的
to buy the drinks…
带回来放在桌子上
and brought them and put them on the table.
他放下一品脱啤酒
And as he put his pint of beer down…
他分了一下
he spilled it.
我高兴地说
I sort of said genially…
“老天 尽情喝吧”
“Oh, heavens. Drinking at this time of day!”
然后他告诉我 他在阿登布鲁克有三个星期了
He then told me he’d been in Addenbrooke’s for three weeks…
他们做了一系列的检查
and they’d done a whole series of tests…
诊断出
and they’d decided…
他得了什么病
what was wrong with him.
他很平静的告诉我
And he told me very straight and flat…
他将渐渐地不能掌控
that he was gradually going to lose…
自己的身体
the use of his body…
到最后
that eventually…
只有心脏和肺
only his heart and his lungs…

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
前一篇文章大力士
下一篇文章秘书
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!