“I’m gonna do a book.”
工作量多到疯掉
It’s an insane amount of work.
我有点强迫症
I’m kind of compulsive with stuff.
我只希望人们能见到这些佳作
I just wanted people to see this incredible work.
我在芝加哥文化中心申请了一次展览
And I applied for a show at the Cultural Center in Chicago.
芝加哥文化中心
他们说展览的参观人数是史上最多的一次
They said this was the biggest turnout for any artist they had ever had.
寻找薇薇安·迈尔 芝加哥街头摄影师
之后 故事就起飞了
And then, the story just took off.
琼斯妈妈杂♥志♥ 曝光薇薇安·迈尔
芝加哥太阳报 街头摄影者
华尔街日报 保姆的秘密
街头摄影的历史正在被改写
The history of street photography is being rewritten.
英国摄影月刊
-薇薇安·迈尔 -薇薇安·迈尔
-Vivian Maier. -Vivian Maier.
-薇薇安·迈尔 -不再被埋没
-Vivian Maier. -Saved from obscurity.
生前未曾享 身后得英名
In death, she is getting the fame that she never had in life.
约翰·马洛夫仍在整理迈尔的底片
John Maloof is still working his way through all Maier’s negatives.
我的使命是将薇薇安载入史册
My mission is to put Vivian in the history books.
纽约
我对这些作品的第一印象
My first impression, when I saw the work,
乔尔·迈耶罗维茨 摄影师
是惊喜降临时的那种喜悦
was the kind of delight when a surprise comes your way
你感到一个无名之辈
and you feel that somebody, hitherto undiscovered,
带着他上乘的作品横空出世
suddenly makes their work available and it looks good.
像是慧眼
It looks like there’s an authentic eye
也有悟性 悟透人性
and a real savvy about human nature
理解摄影 读懂街头
and photography, and the street,
此种绝非常事
and that kind of thing doesn’t happen that often.
我看过数千张照片
I see thousands of pictures.
日复一日 人们把他们的博客发给我看
Day after day, people send me their websites to look at.
我浏览其中 绝大多数都是平凡无奇的
And when I flick through them, I feel most of them are undistinguished.
但是薇薇安的作品透着对人类的理解
But Vivian’s work instantly had those qualities of human understanding
还有温暖 还有戏谑
and warmth and playfulness,
我就想 “这是名真正的摄影师”
that I thought, “This is a genuine shooter.”
她具有慧眼
She had a great eye.
玛丽·艾伦·马克 摄影师
而且她 很会构图
And she… Great sense of framing.
这…这是第一张 我不…
Here… this is the first one. I can’t…
这是建筑工泥浆浆的屁♥股♥
It’s a muddy construction worker’s butt.
我的天呐
Oh, my God!
她有幽默感
She had a sense of humour.
和悲剧感
And a sense of tragedy.
漂亮
Beautiful.
这些孩子的照片很漂亮
Those photos of children are beautiful.
对光线和环境的感觉 漂亮
Beautiful sense of light, environment.
我的意思是 她是个全才
I mean, she had it all.
她是不是很高产 她拍过很多
Was she very prolific? Did she shoot a lot?
总共大概有十五万张底片
In total, there’s probably about 150,000 negatives.
她拍了很多
She shot a lot.
她的作品从来没有示人
She never showed her work to anybody?
那是我想搞清楚的 目前为止没有
That’s what I’m trying to figure out. So far, no.
我觉得人们会爱上她的作品
I think people would have loved her work.
我甚至会说她是用正方形底片的罗伯特·弗兰克
I mean, I could even say, Robert Frank with a square format.
莉赛特·莫德尔…
Lisette Model…
最起码是海伦·乐薇
Helen Levitt, definitely.
戴安·阿勃丝
Diane Arbus.
一些街头肖像
Some of the street portraits.
如果她为人所知 她会成为著名摄影师
Had she made herself known, she would have become a famous photographer.
有些不对劲 有些…
Something was wrong, something…
有…拼图有缺失的一块
There’s… there’s a piece of the puzzle missing.
漂亮
That’s beautiful.
我真心想知道 薇薇安为什么拍这些照片
I really want to know, why did Vivian make these images?
是什么导致了她强迫性地
What drove her to such compulsion,
甚至偏执地去拍这么多照片
to an obsessive degree, to take so many pictures?
为什么不示人
Why were they never shown?
我开始翻找她的物品
I started to unbox all of her stuff.
找到些线索
I’m finding leads.
她的收据 但是…
You know, receipts that she had. But…
她的收据来自七八十年代
Her… Her receipts are from the ’70s and ’80s.
七八十年代的芝加哥
And in the ’70s and ’80s in Chicago,
没有区号♥
there was no area code.
我开始打这些电♥话♥号♥码
And I started calling these phone numbers,
加上各个区号♥
attaching every various area code.
773, 312, 708, 847, 630, 815…
她是不是在一户旧金山家庭当过保姆
Was she ever a nanny for a San Franciscan family?
-是的 -我的天
-Yes. -Oh, my gosh.
是的 她就住在隔壁
Yes, she lived right next door.
我认识薇薇安·迈尔因为她是我孩童时的保姆
I know Vivian Maier because she was my childhood nanny.
四年吧 大概是
For about four years. Something like that.
她的工作是管家和保姆
Her job was as a housekeeper and a nanny.
薇薇安是我的保姆
Vivian was my nanny.
当我的母亲需要一个护工时 薇薇安走入了我们的生活
Vivian came into our lives when we needed a caretaker for my mother.
我就盯着她 然后想
I was just staring at her, and I had thought,
“我姊妹是从哪儿找来这位女士带她的孩子的”
“Where did my sister find this lady to baby-sit her kids?”
她对于保存记忆片段很偏执
She was obsessed with just saving bits of memories,
保存时刻
of moments in time.
她收集的东西都有助于我进一步了解她
The stuff that she collected all helped me understand her a little better.
我有好几打薇薇安录的磁带
I have dozens of audio tapes that Vivian made.
自从我把这则广♥告♥登上报纸后
我收到一些古怪的来电
有些白♥痴♥打来
要面试我
裸体面试
我有150部八毫米和十六毫米的电影
I have around 150 8mm and 16mm movies.
我找到有菲尔·多纳休的照片
I found pictures of Phil Donahue.
在他自己家 抚摸狗狗 还有吃饭的
Like, in his home, petting a dog and at dinner.
我曾是伊利诺伊州温尼卡的一位单身父亲 有四个儿子
I was a single parent in Winnetka, Illinois, with four sons.
菲尔·多纳休 脱口秀主持人
薇薇安过来
Along comes Vivian.
我在一家餐馆和她碰面 面试她
I met her in a diner, to interview her
关于管家的工作
for this housekeeper job.
她拍了我的照片
She took my picture.
我曾一直东奔西走
I was a guy running back and forth over my shoes.
每天要做一♥期♥甚至两期节目
I had to do a programme every day, sometimes two.
不想找什么麻烦 只想…
I didn’t want any trouble, I just…
只想有干净袜子穿
You know, I just wanted clean socks.
她和我们呆了不到一年
She was with us less than a year.
我记得她对着一个垃圾桶
I have a memory of her taking a picture
拍照
inside a garbage can.
我就想 “你知道…
I thought, “Well, you know…
“世人也嘲笑过毕加索”
“They laughed at Picasso.”
我不知道 我的意思是我没多想
I didn’t know. I mean, I didn’t give it much thought.
我认为她不是疯子
I didn’t think she was crazy.
薇薇安拍过自♥拍♥
Vivian took self-portraits.
在我脑海里 我不知道她是什么形象
In my mind, I don’t know what image I had of this person,
但绝对不是照片中的形象
but it was definitely not the image that I uncovered.
扎尔曼 劳拉·乌斯京
她的到来非比寻常
She came across as unusual.
她穿大…大衣 戴毡帽
She wore big… big coats, with felt hats.
罗杰·卡尔森
可能是1925年流行的东西
The kind of thing that might have been popular in 1925.
她总是隐藏自己的体型
She was always kind of hiding her figure.
穿大衣 穿靴子
You know, wearing these heavy clothes. And these boots.
他们曾经叫她军靴
They used to call her Army Boots.
卡连·弗兰克 詹妮弗·罗菲
她很高
She was very tall.
两米一三…
Seven feet…
杰奎琳·布鲁尼·曼尼尔 凯西·布鲁尼·诺丽斯
-没有 哪有两米一三 -她很高
-No! Seven feet! -She was tall.
-她肯定有一米七五 -一米八三
-Oh, she must have been about five nine. -Six foot.
茱蒂 查克·斯威舍
-她喜欢穿男式衬衫… -她穿男式衬衫
-She liked wearing men’s shirts… -She wore men’s shirts.
她说剪裁更好
She said the tailoring was better.
金杰·塔姆
她剪的是…齐刘海
She’d have kind of a… just a straight blunt cut.
她把头发夹在一路上面
She had hair that stuck straight up!
回想起来 我会说她穿得
Now, looking back, I would say she kind of dressed
像是苏联五十年代时的
like you would expect to find women factory workers
达菲·勒旺
工厂女工
in the Soviet Union in the ’50s or something.
她是这样走路的
That’s how she walked.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!