主演:杰米·布莱克利、华金·菲尼克斯、 帕克·波西、艾玛·斯通
编剧、导演:伍迪·艾伦
康德说过,人类理性受困于一些无法摆脱… (见康德《纯粹理性批判》第一版序言)
Kant said human reason is troubled by questions that it cannot dismiss,
同时也无法回答的问题
but also cannot answer.
好,那么我们现在谈论的是什么?
Okay, so, what are we talking about here?
道德?选择?
Morality? Choice?
人生的随机性?美学?谋杀?
The randomness of life? Aesthetics? Murder?
我想,埃布从一开始就是疯的
I think Abe was crazy from the beginning.
是因为压力大?还是愤怒?
Was it from stress? Was it anger?
还是说人生在他眼里 就是无止尽的折磨,让他倍感恶心?
Was he disgusted by what he saw as life’s never-ending suffering?
或者只是他太无聊了
Or was he simply bored
只因日复一日之存在,实在毫无意义?
by the meaninglessness of day-to-day existence?
他着实有趣,还与众不同
He was so damn interesting. And different.
善于言辞
And a good talker.
且每每能用言语蒙蔽真♥相♥
And he could always cloud the issue with words.
从何讲起呢?
Where to begin?
毕竟,存在主义者在触底之前
You know, the existentialists feel nothing happens
向来是感觉无事发生
until you hit absolute rock bottom.
从我去布莱林学院教书开讲吧
Well, let’s say that when I went to teach at Braylin College,
情感上来说,那如同置身扎布里斯基角
emotionally, I was at Zabriskie Point.
当然我的名声…或者该说是某一名声 比我先到了
Of course, my reputation, or should I say a reputation, preceded me.
我听说埃布·卢卡斯这个夏天会来教书
I hear Abe Lucas is gonna be joinin’ the faculty this summer.
当真?
Really?
那倒能让哲学系硬起来些
That should put some Viagra into the philosophy department.
他真的是个很有趣的人,但看上去很颓废
He’s this really interesting guy, but he looks totally wasted.
我其实还挺喜欢这种颓废的样子
I kind of like the burned-out look, though.
天呐,我也是
Oh, my God, me too.
是啊,而且听说他和自己的某些学生搞在过一起
Well, yeah, and he has affairs with some of his students, I heard.
是吗? – 是呢
Really? – Yeah, like full… Yeah.
埃布·卢卡斯将在夏季学期
Abe Lucas is teaching my Ethical Strategies class
给我上道德策略课
for summer session.
你读过他的论文没? – 嗯
Have you read any of his papers? – Mmm-hmm.
他的观点很激进,富有原创性
He’s very radical. Very original.
你要么爱死他,要么就恨死他
You either love him or hate him, really.
菲·科恩认识他的一个朋友
Faye Cohen knows someone who knows him,
她说,他跟老婆离婚后经历了严重的抑郁
but she says, he had a serious depression when his wife left him.
他老婆和他最好的朋友跑了
The story is, she ran off with his best friend.
真的?
Really?
因为我听说的版本是
‘Cause, actually, what I heard through the rumor mill
他是在最好的朋友被杀之后,精神崩溃的
was he had a breakdown when his best friend was killed.
他朋友是电视台的,在伊♥拉♥克♥被斩首了
He was a TV crew guy in Iraq and he got beheaded.
若果真如此,那也太可怕了对吧?
Isn’t that gruesome if it’s true?
老天爷,未曾谋面我都已经开始嫉妒他了
Jesus, I haven’t even met the guy yet, and I’m already jealous.
嫉妒?我喜欢你这样
Jealous? I love that you’re jealous.
让我感到受人渴望
That makes me feel desired.
这你不用担心,学校里每个人都对你特渴望
Oh, God, you don’t have to worry. Everybody on campus desires you.
噢,拜托 – 但拥有你的是我
Oh, come on. – But I have you.
我不确定了,因为突然想到…
I don’t know, suddenly the thought of you
你要是被一个特有魅力的教授迷住…
coming under the spell of some charismatic professor…
天,这你不用担心,迷住我的是你
Oh, God, you don’t have to worry. I’m under your spell.
不错,继续保持
Good. Let’s keep it that way.
好吗? – 嗯
Yeah? – Mmm-hmm.
打扰一下
Excuse me.
你知道杰瑟普大厅在哪吗?
Uh, do you know where Jessup Hall is?
嗯,就是那边那栋红色的楼
Yes, Jessup Hall is that building over there, the red one.
好的,谢谢
Uh-huh, all right. Thank you.
里德博士?
Doctor Reed?
噢 – 卢卡斯教授到了
Oh. – Professor Lucas.
卢卡斯教授,欢迎来布莱林学院 – 谢谢
Professor Lucas, welcome to Braylin. – Thank you.
你还好吧? – 是
Are you okay? – Yes.
你肯定长途跋涉辛苦了 – 嗯,是啊
I’m sure you’ve had a long trip. – Mmm-hmm. It was, yeah.
那么,请… – 谢谢
Well, um… – Thank you.
我们的春季学期刚刚结束
We’ve just concluded our spring semester,
而布莱林的夏季学期通常是很活跃的
and summer’s always very active at Braylin.

Uh-huh.
我们都很高兴你能加入哲学系
We’re all very happy to have you here in the philosophy department.
谢谢
Mmm, thank you.
就是这了
This is it.
教职住宿是比较分散的
Now, the faculty housing is pretty much spread out,
但基本上所有的房♥子
but, you know, everything you can get to.
都是步行即可到学校
It’s within walking distance of the campus.
你会很喜欢纽波特的(罗德岛州)
And you’re really gonna like Newport.
这里很美,但夏天时候会稍微人多些
It’s beautiful here, but it gets a little crowded in the summer.
可能会有点烦人
That can be a drag.
房♥子不大,但很舒服
It’s a small house, but it’s really comfortable.
这里是客厅,那边有个小厨房♥
Um, right over here is the living room, and there’s a little kitchen that way.
旁边有个小饭厅
And there’s a little dining room right next to that.
楼上…
Upstairs…
这边
This way.
浴室在右边
Bathroom to the right.
这里就是卧室了,挺小,但很舒服
And this is the bedroom. It’s small, but really comfortable.
那边有个办公室
And there’s an office over there.
我觉得你肯定会很喜欢哲学系的
I think you’ll really love the philosophy department, you know?
它位于校园很漂亮的旧区那里
It’s in this old, beautiful part of the campus.
学校还有片儿新区
And there’s a more modern wing,
那儿有最先进的设备 供理科…
that’s got state-of-the-art stuff for science,
…及计算机专业使用,如果你感兴趣的话
and computer technology, if you’re into that.
如果你想周边走走, 这里离普罗维登斯(罗德岛首府)只有45分钟车程
Oh, and if you want to go away, we’re just 45 minutes from Providence.
谢谢,想喝点吗?
Thank you. Do you want a drink?
噢,不用了
Oh, no! God, no.
六点钟有个小型鸡尾酒会,为你接风
There’s a little cocktail reception to welcome you at 6:00.
我很喜欢你那篇关于情境伦理的论文
You know, I have to tell you, I loved your essay on situational ethics.
噢,我很荣幸
Oh, I’m glad you liked it.
这篇论文在奥戴尔大学哲学系引发了不小的争论
It caused a little, uh, static with the philosophy department at Adair.
这位是我老公保罗 – 嘿,你好
This is my husband, Paul. – Hey, how you doin’?
这位是埃布·卢卡斯,哲学系的 – 幸会
This is Abe Lucas, philosophy department. – Good to meet you.
嗯 – 这酒怎样?
Yeah. – How you doin’ on that?
我还想再来一杯
I’d like another one, please.
这是什么? – 伏特加马提尼,外加橄榄
What is it? – Vodka martini, extra olives.
你呢? – 好,我也再来一杯
Anything for you? – Sure, I’ll have another.
威士忌? – 嗯
Uh, scotch? – Mmm-hmm.
好 – 谢谢
Okay. – Thank you.
我叫丽塔·理查兹,很高兴你来我们学校
I’m Rita Richards. It’s so good to have you here.
嘿,如果你觉得无聊了,想打听打听
Hey, if you’re ever bored and you want someone to give you
这学校谁在跟谁上♥床♥的话
the real lowdown of who’s fucking who at this college,
问我就行了
just let me know.
所以,康德认为在一个真正的道德世界中
So, Kant would argue that in a truly moral world,
是绝无谎言容身之处的
there is absolutely no room for lying.
就算是最微小的谎言
And even the smallest lie
也会破坏他那宝贵的“绝对命令” (categorical imperative,康德提出的道德哲学概念)
destroys his precious categorical imperative.
所以康德才会说,如果一个杀人犯到了你家 (来自康德《论出于利他动机说谎的假设权利》一文)
So, Kant would say, if a killer came to your house,
要杀一个躲在楼上的人,问你这人在哪时
looking to kill the man hiding upstairs and asked where he was,
你必须实话实说
you’d be obliged to tell him.
在他的完美世界里,你是不能撒谎的
In his perfect world, you know, you couldn’t lie.
是,我能看出他的逻辑是
Yeah, I can see the logic
如果把门打开了,哪怕仅是一条缝
that if you open the door, even just a crack,
就等于接受了一个允许撒谎的世界
you accept a world where lying is permitted.

Uh-huh.
那么,你就是说,如果纳粹到了你家
Okay, then, then you’d say if the Nazis came to your house,
你家正躲着安妮·弗兰克和她的家人 (《安妮日记》作者)
hiding Anne Frank and her family,
纳粹问你阁楼里有没有人啊,你回答
and asked if anyone was in the attic, you’d say,
“有啊,弗兰克一家在楼上呢”
“Ja, the Franks are upstairs.”
我表示怀疑
I doubt it.
因为现实生活和…
Because there’s a difference between
哲学扯淡下的理论世界
a theoretical world of philosophy bullshit,
还是有区别的
and real life, you know?
真实,肮脏又丑陋的生活
Real, nasty, ugly life
充斥着贪婪,仇恨和种族灭绝
that includes greed, and hate, and genocide.
记住,就算你们从我这学不到别的什么
Remember, if you learn nothing else from me,
也该记住,许多哲学就是种言语自♥慰♥罢了
you should learn that much of philosophy is verbal masturbation.
你跟他说过话没? – 嗯
Have you talked to him at all? – Mmm.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!