只有那天我才有空
It’s the only night I can get away.
星期三 星期三 星期三
Wednesday, Wednesday… Wednesday.
已经有人预订了
I got somebody pencilled in.
让我来安排一下 我马上给你回复
Let me see what I can do. I’ll get back to you.
爱奇尔伯格先生
Mr.Eichelberger.
哦 是巴克斯特 有什么事情?
Oh, yes, Baxter. What’s your problem?
星期三不行?
Wednesday is out?
天啊 这把我的日程弄得一团糟
Oh, that throws a little monkey wrench into my agenda.
星期四?不行 那一整天我都没有空
Thursday? No, I’m all tied up on Thursday.
让我来排排时间 呃 在星期五怎么样?
Let’s schedule that, uh… meeting for Friday.
星期五
Friday.
让我来盘算一下 等一下给你回复
Let me see what I can do. I’ll get back to you.
在保险金和保单种类方面
Premiumwise and billingwise,
我们比去年增长了18%
we are 18 per cent ahead of last year Octoberwise.
喂?哦 巴克斯特 有什么事情?
Hello? Yeah, Baxter. What’s up?
我把你的时间从星期五调到星期四如何?
Instead of Friday, could you possibly switch to Thursday?
你帮了我一个大忙了
You’d be doing me a great favour.
然我来看看 等下回复你
Let me check. I’ll get back to you.
联合生活 我以后联♥系♥你
Consolidated Life. I’ll connect you.
塞尔维亚 你的电♥话♥
Sylvia, it’s for you.
喂?
Yeah?
你好
Oh, hello.
我当然自己回家了 你欠我45美分
Sure I got home all right. You owe me 45 cents.
听着 塞尔维亚
Look, Sylvia.
不在星期五 我们星期四晚上如何?
Instead of Friday, could we make it Thursday night?
星期四?
Thursday?!
那好吧 那就取消和鲍勃·斯戴布的约会
Well, that’s The Untouchables with Bob Stack!
鲍勃是谁?
Bob who?
好的 那我们在公♥寓♥碰面 有什么了不起
All right, so we’ll watch it at the apartment. Big deal!
喂 巴克斯特吗?星期四可以了
Hello, Baxter? It’s OK for Thursday.
谢谢 克科比先生
Thank you, Mr.Kirkeby.
爱奇尔伯格先生 星期五可以了
Mr.Eichelberger, it’s OK for Friday.
万德豪夫先生 星期三可以了
Mr.Vanderhof? OK for Wednesday.
好的 我会告诉他的
All right. I’ll tell him.
嗨 巴克斯特
Hey, Baxter,
人事部舍尔爵克先生的秘书给你打了电♥话♥
that was Personnel. Mr.Sheldrake’s secretary.
她在开始的20分钟里一直想找你
She’s been trying to reach you for the last 20 minutes.
他们让你上楼
They want you upstairs.
你要升职 还是被炒鱿鱼?
Are you getting promoted? Or fired?
那我们来小赌一把如何?
Would you care to make a small wager?
我在这里待的时间是你的两倍 但是
I’ve been here twice as long as you but…
赌一美元如何?
Let’s say a dollar?
赌就赌
It’s a bet!
上去吗?- 哦 对不起
Going up? – Oh! Excuse me.
27楼 谢谢 小心一点
27, please. Drive carefully.
你在运送一件重要的货物
You’re carrying precious cargo.
也就是指大人物
I mean manpowerwise.
27楼
27.
看不出来吧
You may not realise it,
我是公♥司♥业绩评估的前十名
but I am in the top ten, efficiencywise,…
今天我很有可能被提升
..and this may be the day promotionwise.
你说话已经开始像克科比先生了
You’re beginning to sound like Mr.Kirkeby already.
为什么不呢 当他们把我送到楼上
Why not, as they’re kicking me upstairs?
为什么这种事情不能发生在一个好人身上呢
Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.
你知道 你是电梯里唯一脱帽的人
You know, you’re the only one who takes his hat off in the elevator.
这是电梯里男人们的事情
Something happens to men in elevators.
这是地位改变的缘故
It’s the change of altitude.
血都冲到他们的头上了
The blood rushes to their head.
我可以给你将一些故事 – 我很乐意听
I could tell you stories… – I’d love to hear ’em.
我们找时间一起吃顿饭如何
We could have lunch in the cafeteria sometime.
或者在工作后的某个晚上
Or some evening, after work?
27楼到 – 哦
27. – Oh.
我希望你一切顺利 – 我也希望如此
I hope everything goes all right. – I hope so.
他们今天给我打电♥话♥ 我的感冒也好些了
They would call me today, what with my cold.
我看起来精神吗?- 很好 等一下
How do I look? – Fine. Wait.
谢谢
Thank you.
我注意到了 当你在电梯上的时候
I noticed, when you were still on the local elevator,
你总会戴一朵小花
you always wore a flower.
祝你好运 把你的鼻子擦干净
Good luck. And wipe your nose.
CC 巴克斯特 普通保费清算部
CC Baxter, Ordinary Premium Accounting.
舍尔爵克先生叫我
Mr.Sheldrake called me.
我找你 而且我都找你20分钟了
I called you. That is, I tried to for 20 minutes.
不好意思 – 进去吧
I’m sorry. – Go on in.
巴克斯特?- 是的 先生
Baxter? – Yes, sir.
进来 进来
Come in, come in.
我正在你长什么样子 巴克斯特
I was sort of wondering what you looked like, Baxter.
请坐 – 谢谢 舍尔爵克先生
Sit down. – Yes, Mr.Sheldrake.
我听说一些人都说你很优秀
Been hearing some nice things about you.
克比奇先生说你忠诚 富有合作精神 很有潜力
Mr.Dobisch says you’re loyal, cooperative, resourceful.
他这么说?- 克科比先生说你经常加班
Mr.Dobisch said that? – Mr.Kirkeby tells me you often work late…
却不领加班费 – 你知道的 事情总是一大堆
..without overtime. – You know how it is. Things pile up.
公共关系部的万德豪夫先生
Mr.Vanderhof in Public Relations
抵押和借贷部的爱奇尔伯格先生
and Mr.Eichelberger in Mortgage and Loans…
都希望你能调到他们的部门
..would both like you transferred to their departments.
太过奖了
Very flattering.
告诉我 巴克斯特
Tell me, Baxter.
究竟是什么原因让你这么受人欢迎?
Just what is it that makes you so popular?
我不知道 – 想一想
I don’t know. – Think.
你能在重复一下问题吗?
Would you mind repeating the question?
听着 巴克斯特 我并不傻
Look, Baxter. I’m not stupid.
我知道这栋大楼每天发生的事情
I know everything that goes on in this building every day of the year.
真的吗?
You do?
1957年 我们这里有一个雇员 名叫弗劳尔
In 1957 we had an employee here, name of Fowler.
他也很受欢迎
He was very popular too.
后来才知道 他在开一个赌马的投♥注♥点
It turned out he was running a bookie joint,…
连上我们的接线总机
..tying up our switchboard,
并用我们的IBM计算机来计算冷门
using our IBM machines to figure the odds.
在肯塔基德比赛的前一天
The day before the Kentucky Derby
我告诉了刑♥警♥队 他们逮捕了他
I called in the vice squad, who raided him.
刑♥警♥队?- 是的
The vice squad? – That’s right.
这和我有什么关系呢?
What’s that got to do with me?
我没有开任何一个赌马的投♥注♥点
I’m not running any bookie joint.
那你开的是哪种中介站呢?- 先生?
Just what kind of joint are you running? – Sir?
一个联结从克科比到万德豪夫
A key is floating around from Kirkeby to Vanderhof
到艾奇尔伯格 再到多比奇的关键东西
to Eichelberger to Dobisch.
这个东西好像是一间公♥寓♥
It’s the key to a certain apartment.
知道公♥寓♥是谁的吗?- 谁?
Know who that apartment belongs to? – Who?
忠诚的极具潜力和合作精神的CC 巴克斯特先生
Loyal, resourceful, cooperative CC Baxter.
哦 – 你打算否认这一切吗?
Oh. – Are you going to deny it?
不 我不想否认这一切
No. I’m not going to deny it.
如果你能给我一个解释的机会
If you’d just let me explain.
说吧
You’d better.

Well,…
大约一年前 我正在上夜校
about a year ago, I was going to night school,
学习高级会计
studying advanced accounting.
我们部门的一个住在泽西的家伙
One of the guys in our department Iives in Jersey
要参加镇上的一个晚宴
had to go to a banquet in town.
他需要一个地方来换燕尾服
He needed someplace to change into a tuxedo,
于是我把钥匙借给了他
so I gave him the key.
这个消息一下全传开了
Word must’ve gotten out
忽然间所有人都要参加晚宴
because all sorts of guys were suddenly going to banquets.
你把钥匙给了这个人 你就不能拒绝另外一个
You give the key to one guy, you can’t say no to another.
事情终于无法控制
It all got out of hand.
巴克斯特 一个保险公♥司♥是建立在公众信任之上的
Baxter, an insurance company is founded on public trust.
一个雇员如果行为不典的话
Any employee who conducts himself in a manner unbecoming…
你们这一个小团体有几个人?
How many charter members are there in this little club?
只有四个 31 259人中的四个
Just those four. Out of a total of 31,259.
所以 我们应该为我们的员工自豪
So actually we can be very proud of our personnel…
这个比例很小
percentagewise.
但这不是重点
That’s not the point.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!