那是个怪地方
It’s a funny place.
它给你一种你可以把你的想法想个透的感觉
It gives you the feeling that you can think out your thoughts to the very end.
我想我也许能在那里看清前方的路
I think over there I may be able to see my way before me.
如果你不能呢?
And if you don’t?
那我就承认它行不通…
I’ll give it up as a bad job…
回到芝加哥,有什么工作做什么工作
…come back to Chicago, and take the first work I can get.
亲爱的
Oh, my darling.
拉里
Oh, Larry.
我爱你
I love you.
我真的很爱你
I love you so much.
我真的不明白为什么伊莎贝尔…
I cannot for the life of me understand how Isabel…
…会舍弃格雷这样的好小伙选择那个拉里
…could possibly prefer that young man to a fine chap like Gray.
是,我承认,他长得很帅,打扮起来很精神
Oh, I grant you, he’s good-looking. And his clothes fit.
但是你想想,这是个多好的机会……
But imagine, an opportunity…
…和格雷还有他父亲联姻
…to go in with Gray and his father on the ground floor.
伊莎贝尔
Isabel.
回来这么早?
Home so early?
是的
Yes.
-发生什么了吗? -没有
– What’s the matter? – Nothing.
-拉里呢? -走了,妈妈
– Where’s Larry? – Gone. Hello, Mother.
-你们谈过了吗? -是的
– Did you have a talk? – Yes.
-结果是? -他要到去欧洲一段时间
– May I venture to inquire the result? – He’s going to Europe for a while.
-我答应了等他 -他去欧洲干什么?
– I promised to wait. – What is he going to do in Europe?
-游荡 -游荡?别说荒唐话,伊莎贝尔
– Loaf. – Loaf? Don’t be ridiculous, Isabel.
-他就是这么说的 -是吗,那我简直受不了你了
– It’s what he said. – Realy, I have no patience with you.
如果你够胆的话,你早解除婚约了
If you had any spirit, you’d have broken off your engagement.
我能怎么办?
What can I do?
-我爱他啊
– I love him.
过来
Come along.
算了我没事
It’s all right.
看来情况更糟了
Well, things might be a great deal worse.
哦,谢了,约瑟夫
Oh, thank heavens. Merci, Joseph.
我刚刚还在说呢,路易莎,现在情况更糟了
I was just saying, Louisa, things might be a great deal worse.
没事,不用起来,我怎么没看出来
Don’t get up. I don’t see how.
可怜的老姐,你还没明白吗
My poor Louisa, you have no imagination.
年轻的时候,感情总是很激烈的,但绝不会持久
When you’re young, your emotions are violent, but not durable.
离别会使两个人更亲密也只是一种错觉
It’s a delusion that absence makes the heart grow fonder.
拉里要是走了,格雷还在这儿……
With Larry out and Gray on the spot…
…伊莎贝尔要是还不趁年轻嫁给格雷就真的没道理了
…I don’t see why Isabel shouldn’t marry him before the years out.
你离开美国太久了,艾略特
You’ve been away from America too long, Elliott.
你忘了,在这个国家,女孩子并不会因为她母亲或者舅舅的意见结婚的……
In this country, a girl doesn’t marry a man because her mother, or even her uncle, wants her to.
这没什么好骄傲的,路易莎
That’s nothing to be proud of, Louisa.
根据我30年的经验,我可以告诉你…
As a result of 30 years’ experience, I may tell you that a marriage arranged…
一件把双方的地位、财产都考虑上的婚姻要比只考虑爱情的婚姻好得多
…with a regard for position and fortune has every advantage over a love match.
如果在法国,那个世界上唯一的文明国家…
In France, which, after all, is the only civilized country in the world…
…伊莎贝尔会毫不犹豫地嫁给格雷
…Isabel would marry Gray without thinking about it twice.
几个月后,如果她还想着拉里…
After a few months, if she was still in love with Larry–
这是肯定的,我知道你要说什么,我不会赞同你的,你还是打住吧
That will do. I know what you’re going to say. The idea doesn’t appeal to me.
这就是我一直搞不懂你的地方,路易莎
That’s one of the things I’ve never understood about you, Louisa.
虽然你半辈子都在外交圈里混…
Though you’ve lived half your life in diplomatic society…
…在世界上一半的首都都呆过…
…in half the capitals of the world…
你仍然是个无可救药的美国人
you’ve remained hopelessly American.
别恭维我了,亲爱的
It isn’t often that you pay me a compliment, dear.
-这可不是恭维 -我知道
– It wasn’t meant to be one. – I know.
我要去睡觉了
Well, I think I’ll go to bed.
-艾略特,你会把门关好吧 -会的,亲爱的
– Will you lock up? – Yes, dear.
-晚安,毛姆先生 -晚安
– Good night, Mr. Maugham. – Good night.
你真是通晓人情世故啊,艾略特
You’re very full of worldly wisdom this evening.
你知道我的
Have you ever known me not to be?
我不介意告诉你,其实我理解那个孩子
I don’t mind telling you, I have a sneaking sympathy for the boy.
在结婚成家之前,年轻人是会有这种放荡的荒唐想法的
…before he settles down to married life.
这很自然,很合理
Very natural and very proper.
我会在巴黎看着他的
I’ll keep my eye on him in Paris.
他肯定会经过阿基塔尼亚的
Of course, he must cross on the Aquitania.
我认识那个船长
I know the captain.
我会让他帮忙盯着拉里,确保他坐在合适的地方,遇到合适的人
He’ll see that Larry sits at his table and meets the right people.
*你真天真*
我会给他找一个合适的住所
I’ll look for an apartment for him in a really smart quarter.
我会盛情款待他的
I’ll do him proud.
邀请他参加一些聚会
I’ll give some parties for him.
很多美国人刚去巴黎的时候,总是会和错误的人混在一起
So many Americans, when they go to Paris, get in with the wrong people.
然后就没法脱身了
And then they find it no end of a job to shake them off.
我会让我的司机载他四处逛逛
I’ll have my chauffeur, Marcel, drive him about in the Rolls.
虽然我很讨厌乡下. . .
I detest the countryside.
但没办法,美国人天生就爱旅游
But alas, all Americans are born tourists…
…他肯定也想看看那些风景的
…and no doubt, he’ll want to see the sights.
最好是能为他找一个年纪稍大的女人…
It would be perfect if I could arrange for some older woman …to take him under her wing.
比如说诺威玛丽公主
Princess Novemali, for instance.
他很年轻,样貌也不错
He is young and he has a good figure.
她肯定很快就会爱上他的
I think she’d fall for him like a ton of bricks.
不管怎么样…
In any event
我把他安排得越忙,他想伊莎贝尔的时间就越少
the busier I keep him, the less time he’ll have to think about Isabel.
有劳伦斯·达雷尔的信吗?
Anything for Lawrence Darrell?
这是前天的电报
This wireless came day before yesterday.
谢谢
Thank you.
对不起打扰一下,请问从阿基塔尼亚来的船什么时候到?
Excuse me. Pardon me, when does the boat train from the Aquitania arrive?
-11:30,先生 -谢谢
– Eleven-thirty, monsieur. – Thank you.
拉里!拉里!
Larry! Larry!
噢,拉里
Oh, Larry.
拉里,我好想你
Oh, Larry, I’ve missed you.
我真的好想你
I’ve missed you so much.
他是怎么知道你们要来的?
May I ask how he knew you were coming?
在船上的时候伊莎贝尔给他打了电报
Isabel cabled him from the ship.
-他们还订着婚吗? -据我所知是的
– Are they still engaged? – As far as I know.
-那格雷·马图林呢? -还等着呢
– What about Gray Maturin? – Still faithful.
我觉得你没有把这牌打好,路易莎
I don’t believe you’ve played your cards well.
-我从来就打不来牌 -妈妈,拉里来了
– I never had much card sense. – Mother, here he is.
-你能来真是太好了 -很高兴见到你,夫人
– Oh, how good of you to come. – So nice to see you.
-好久不见谈波登先生 -好久不见
– Hello, nice to see you Mr T. – How do you do?
舅舅,拉里能来和我们一起吃饭吗? -据我所知拉里不在外面吃饭
– May Larry come to dinner with us? – I understand Larry doesn’t dine out.
-他今晚会的,对吧? -当然
– He will tonight. Won’t you? – I will.
那真是好,我很乐意
That’s very good of you. I shall be delighted.
那我们在餐厅见
We’ll meet you at the house.
的士!的士!
Taxi. Taxi.
走,亲爱的,我有好多事要和你说
Come along, darling. I’ve got a million things to tell you.
关于那个年轻人,路易莎,我实在没有什么好话说给你听
I’m afraid I haven’t a very good account to give you of that young man, Louisa.
是吗?
Oh?
他第一次来巴黎,看在伊莎贝尔的份上,我请他吃午饭…
When he first came to Paris, for Isabel’s sake, I asked him to lunch…
…顺便带他见见一些他应该要认识的人
…to meet the sort of people he ought to know.
-他跟我说他不吃午饭 -也许他确实不吃
– And he told me he didn’t eat lunch. – Perhaps he doesn’t.
然后我就说请他吃晚饭,他又拒绝了,因为他没有晚礼服
When I asked him to dinner, he couldn’t because he had no evening clothes.
我活到100岁也不可能明白为什么一个年轻人到巴黎来却不带晚礼服…
If I live to be 100 I shall never understand how any young man could come to Paris without evening clothes
也许他只是不想呢
Maybe he just didn’t want to.
这是我听过最不可思议的拒绝理由
That’s the most incredible reason for refusing an invitation I’ve ever heard.
-还有他住在哪儿呢? -我不知道
– And where does he live? – I haven’t a notion.
伊莎贝尔写给他的信是由美国旅行社转交的
Isabel writes to him in care of the American Express.
只有旅行推销员,或是度假的老师才会这样
Like a traveling salesman, or a schoolteacher on vacation.
我觉得他说不定住在拉丁区和某个下流的女人厮混呢
My own belief is that he’s living in the Latin Quarter with some bit…
再好也好不到哪去的那种女人
…who’s no better than she ought to be.
我觉得你放过自己,也放过他吧
I’m afraid you’ll have to write him off as one of your failures.
亲爱的,你可能不知道
It might surprise you to know it, my dear
我已经决定我不会管他了
but I’ve already done so.
*抱歉这段法语我只听得懂Bonjour*
她说得太快了,我听不懂
She speaks so quickly I can’t understand her.
她说这是一个古老的法国习俗
She’s telling you that it’s an old French custom.
在五一这天,每个人都得戴一枝山谷百合
Everyone has to wear a sprig of lilies of the valley on May Day.
它们是幸福的象征
They’re a symbol of happiness.
五一,真不敢相信已经五月了
May Day. Imagine it’s being May.
-我到这儿已经快一个月了 -我觉得仿佛你昨天刚来
– I’ve been here nearly a month now. – Oh, impossible. It was only yesterday.
我还是不知道你现在在做什么
I still don’t know a thing about what you’ve been doing.
告诉我吧拉里,你知道我很想知道的
Tell me, Larry. You must know I’ve been dying to know.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!