你好 我和乌尔曼先生有预约
Hi. I’ve got an appointment with Mr. Ullman.
我叫杰克·托伦斯
My name is Jack Torrance.
他的办公室是左手边第一间
His office is the first door on the left.
谢谢
Thank you.
-乌尔曼先生 -正是
– Mr. Ullman? – Yes.
-我是杰克·托伦斯 -快请进 杰克
– I’m Jack Torrance. – Oh, come on in, Jack.
很高兴认识你
Very nice to meet you.
我也很高兴认识你 乌尔曼先生
Nice to meet you too, Mr. Ullman.
-这是我的秘书 苏希 -你好
– This is my secretary, Susie. – Hello.
-苏希 你好 -我们这里难找吗
– Susie, how do you do? – Any trouble finding us?
一点不难找 我三个半小时就到了
No problem at all. I made the trip in 3 and a half hours.
那真是算很快了
That’s very good time.
快请坐吧 杰克
Sit down a minute, Jack.
在这千万别拘束
Just make yourself at home.
要来杯咖啡吗
Would you like some coffee?
如果有的话 就来点吧 谢谢
If you’re having some, I wouldn’t mind. Thanks.
-苏希 -好
– Susie. – Sure.
去叫比尔·沃森来跟我们一起
And would you ask Bill Watson to join us.
好的 我这就去
Yes, I will.
妈妈
Mom?
怎么了
Yeah?
你真的想去住在那个酒店里过冬天吗
Do you really want to go and live in that hotel for the winter?
当然了
Sure I do.
肯定很好玩
It’ll be lots of fun.
好吧 应该是吧
Yeah. I guess so.
反正 这里也没什么人一起玩
Anyway, there’s hardly anybody to play with around here.
我知道 结交新朋友总是需要花些时间的
I know. It always takes a little time to make new friends.
是啊 或许是吧
Yeah, I guess so.
托尼呢
What about Tony?
我猜他肯定很期待去酒店
He’s looking forward to the hotel, I bet.
不 我才不呢 托伦斯夫人
No, I ain’t, Mrs. Torrance.
拜托 托尼 别犯傻了
Now, come on, Tony. Don’t be silly.
我不想去那里 托伦斯夫人
I don’t want to go there, Mrs. Torrance.
你为什么不想去呢
How come you don’t want to go?
我就是不想去
I just don’t.
那我们就走着瞧吧
Let’s just wait and see.
我们都会玩得很开心的
We’re all going to have a real good time.
比尔 我想介绍你认识一下杰克·托伦斯
Bill, I’d like you to meet Jack Torrance.
-你好 比尔 -你好
– How do you do, Bill? – How do you do.
-很高兴认识你 -很高兴认识你
– Nice to meet you. – Pleasure to meet you.
坐吧 比尔 一起聊聊
Grab a chair, Bill. Join in.
杰克今年冬天会帮我们照看眺望酒店
Jack is going to take care of the Overlook for us this winter.
等我们谈完 希望你带他四处转转
I’d like you to take him around place soon as we’re through.
好的
Fine.
杰克是学校里的老师
Jack is a schoolteacher.
以前是老师
Uh, formerly a schoolteacher.
你现在做什么工作
What line of work are you in now?
我是个作家
I’m a writer.
教书差不多就是为了糊口而已
Teaching’s been more or less a way of making ends meet.
如今这样对你来说应该是个很大的变化
This ought to be quite a change for you.
我很期待有变化
Well, I’m looking for a change.
我们在丹佛的人强烈推荐杰克
Our people in Denver recommended Jack very highly,
这一次
and for once…
我同意他们说的
I agree with them.
刚刚说到哪了
Let’s see, where were we?
我刚刚 准备给你解释
I was ,yeah, about to explain…
我们的营业季是从5月15号♥到10月30号♥
that our season here runs from may 15th to October 30th.
然后彻底停业 到第二年的5月再开业
Then we close down completely until the following May.
我能问问为什么吗
Do you mind if I ask why you do that?
在我看来在这里滑雪应该会很棒
It seems to me that the skiing up here would be fantastic.
的确是的 问题在于要花费巨大的成本
It would be. The problem is the enormous cost…
维持到萨德温德镇的路面能够通行
it would be to keep the road to Sidewinder open.
那是段25英里的路
It’s a 25-mile stretch of road.
冬天的降雪厚度能有20英尺
It gets 20 feet of snow during the winter.
要保持路面畅通 从经济上来看是完全不划算的
There’s just no way to make it economically feasible to keep it clear.
1907年建这个地方的时候
When the place was built in 1907…
人们对冬季运动尚不感兴趣
there was very little interest in winter sports.
选择这里完全是看中其幽静的环境和美丽的风景
This site was chosen for its seclusion and scenic beauty.
这里的确够幽静和美丽的
It’s certainly got plenty of that.
没错
That’s right.
在丹佛时 他们有没有告诉你
Did they give you any idea in Denver…
这份工作具体是做什么的
about what the job entails?
就大致说了一下
Only in a very general way.
冬季真的会无比残酷
The winters can be fantastically cruel.
基本就是要应对高额的损坏
The basic idea is to cope with the very costly damage…
以及可能出现的折旧
and depreciation which can occur.
这主要包括烧锅炉
This consists mainly of running the boiler…
每天例行给酒店的不同区域供暖
heating different parts of the hotel on a daily rotating basis…
出现损坏及时修理
repairing damage as it occurs…
及时修理小毛病就不会变成大问题
and doing repairs so the elements can’t get a foothold.
我觉得没有问题
That sounds fine to me.
从体力上说 这份工作要求不高
Physically, it’s not a very demanding job.
在冬天 唯一一件
The only thing that can
可能会有点难熬的事情
get a bit trying here during the winter…
就是会有强烈的孤独感
is a tremendous sense of isolation.
那恰恰就是我想寻求的
Well, that just happens to be exactly what I’m looking for.
我正在写新作品的大纲
I’m outlining a new writing project.
五个月宁静的时光正是我想要的
And, five months of peace is just what I want.
那很好 杰克
That’s very good, Jack.
因为 对有的人来说
Because, for some people…
孤独 与世隔绝
solitude …and isolation…
本身 就会成为问题
can, of itself, become a problem.
我不会
Not for me.
你夫人和儿子呢
How about your wife and son?
你觉得他们能接受吗
Do you think they’ll take to it?
他们会很喜欢的
They’ll love it.
好极了
Great.
在我把你交接给比尔之前
Well, before I turn you over to Bill,
我觉得还有一件事我们需要聊聊
there’s one other thing I think we should talk about.
我也不想耸人听闻
I don’t want to sound melodramatic,
但是这件事的确会让有些人
but it’s something been known to give a few people
犹豫到底要不要接受这份工作
second thoughts about the job.
我很有兴趣知道
I’m intrigued.
我觉得在丹佛时他们应该没告诉你
I don’t suppose they tell you anything in Denver
1970年冬天发生在这里的一起悲剧事件
about the tragedy we had up here during the winter of 1970.
他们似乎的确没说
I don’t believe they did.
我这个职位的前任负责人
My predecessor in this job
雇了一个叫查尔斯·格拉迪的人当冬季管♥理♥员♥
hired a man named Charles Grady as the winter caretaker.
他是带着夫人和两个女儿一起来的
He came up with his wife and two little girls
一个8岁 一个10岁
of about 8 and 10.
他过去的工作记录很好
He had a good employment record,
推荐信都对他赞不绝口
good references.
据我所知道的信息
And from what I’ve been told,
他似乎是一个非常正常的人
he seemed like a completely normal individual.
但是在冬天的某个时候
But at some point during the winter
他一定是经受了
he must have suffered
某种程度上的精神崩溃
some kind of a complete mental breakdown.
他发狂了 然后…
He ran amuck and…
用一把斧子杀了全家人
killed his family with an ax.
把他们整齐地码在西翼的一个房♥间里 然后他…
Stacked them neatly in a room in the west wing, and then he…
他把双管猎枪对准了嘴里 举枪自尽了
he put both barrels of his shotgun in his mouth.
警方…
The police…
警方认为这就是人们以前常说的幽闭症
they thought that it was what the old-timers used to call cabin fever.
这种幽闭恐惧反应可能会出现在
A kind of claustrophobic reaction which can occur
一群人被困在一起很长时间之后
when people are shut in together over long periods of time.
那还真是…
That is…
相当离奇的故事
quite a story.
是啊 的确
Yeah, it is.
我还是很难相信这事真的是在这里发生的
It’s still hard for me to believe it actually happened here.
但事实如此
But it did.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!