Do you know how he died?
你知道他怎么死的吗
My husband?
我丈夫
It was a calm night when Herold took the boat out.
哈罗德在一个宁静的夜晚 划船出海
There was no sign of any storm.
没有任何风暴的迹象
Storms can be sudden around here.
风暴在这里会突然出现
He wasn’t the only one whose boat went down.
他并不是唯一翻船的
It was four years ago…
是4年前的事了
and it’s yesterday.
就象发生在昨天
Look how high we’re up.
看我们飞得多高
Uh-huh. Beat you to the car.
看谁先进到车里
Did I blow it, or can you still be my friend?
我搞砸了吗 你还做我的朋友吗
Your friend? Sure.
你的朋友? 当然
Is this yours?
这是你的吗?
The ghost brought it.
是鬼带来的
Then he ran away.
然后他跑了
The skinny ghost with the white dog?
带着白狗的瘦鬼?
Don’t say I dreamt it.
别说了 我会梦到的
Ah, you’re getting the hang of it.
好 抓住了
Now, coax her a wee bit to starboard.
稍向右点
Attaboy. You’re a Quoyle…
好样的 是科伊尔家的
There’s seawater in your veins.
身体里流淌的是海水
How are things with your girl?
你的女友怎么样了
Oh, Bunny’s just still adjusting, I think.
她还在适应
Oh, I was talking about Wavey Prowse.
我在说韦美·普拉斯
Sorry… sorry!
对不起 对不起
Jesus! Sorry.
上帝 对不起
I… Wavey and I are just friends.
我 韦美和我只是朋友
Fine. Don’t have to drown me over it.
随便 别把我淹着了
This is where I grew up.
这是我长大的地方
That’s my poor old father there.
我可怜的老父亲在那儿
And that’s where your house stood.
你们的房♥子在那儿
Before they dragged it across the ice.
从冰上拉走前
Yes, sir. Before they was driven away.
是的 在他们被赶走前
Driven away by what?
被什么赶走
You never knew?
你从不知道?
Ah, well.
算了
It’s neither here nor there, right?
这无关紧要 是不是?
The point is, they made a new place for theirselves.
关键是 他们给自己建了新家
No, by what? Driven away by what?
不 被什么 被什么赶走?
Oh, that’s old stuff, boy.
都是往事了 孩子
It’s in my blood.
它在我的血液里
You ought to be able to tell me.
你应该能告诉我
Well, they come to Gaze Island centuries ago, they did.
好吧 他们几世纪前来到凝视岛
The old Quoyles was rackers.
老科伊尔们使人痛苦
They were, they were pirates, sort of like.
他们是 海盗一类的
You see them cairns?
看到那石堆没?
Fires used to burn in them
过去在那里面点火
to guide the ships at sea like lighthouses.
给船指引方向 象灯塔
Now, the Quoyles would move the fires
科伊尔们将火移♥动♥位置
to fool the ships.
让船上当
They’d lure them into the rocks…
他们引诱船撞到石头上
so the Quoyles could grab their loot.
这样科伊尔们就可以抢劫了
Oh, they was a savage lot, the old Quoyles.
他们异常野蛮 那些老科伊尔们
Then they went too far one day, they… nailed a man to a tree…
有一天他们非常过份 把一个人钉到树上
and they cut off his nose…
割掉他的鼻子
to draw the nippers and the flies that-that ate him alive.
招来虫子和苍蝇 活活地咬他
And that’s when the Quoyles was given their walking papers.
就在那时候 科伊尔们被赶走了
Jesus.
上帝啊
Now, there’s still an old Quoyle down in one of these coves somewhere.
现在还有一位老科伊尔 在某个小湾里
They say he slept with his wife after she was dead.
据说他和他已死去的妻子生活
Anything else I should know?
还有我该知道的吗
That about covers it.
就这些了
Pull, pull!
拉 拉
Show me that necklace.
给我看看那项链
See, if you make the loops bigger,
看 如果你把圈做大些
you don’t have to make so many. Okay.
就不用做那么多了 好的
Good morning.
早晨好
Can I talk to you for a minute?
我能和你聊几句吗
Where’s that chair from?
那椅子哪来的
Excuse me?
你说什么
The chair that you’re sitting in.
你坐的椅子
Where’s it from? Where’d you get it?
哪儿来的 从哪儿得来的
It’s not from around here, right?
它不是附近产的 对不对?
It’s foreign, it’s exotic.
是外国的 有异国情调
I don’t want pirate’s loot in this home.
我不想在这家中有海盗的战利品
Billy Pretty told me all about it.
比利·普蒂全都告诉我了
It’s a good thing somebody finally did.
真好 终于有人说出来了
I don’t believe in dwelling in the past.
我不相信人会活在过去
No? Then what are we doing here?
那我们在这里干什么
Making a future.
创造未来
If it ain’t the second coming of the Quoyles.
幸亏科伊尔们的再次到来
Taking a long and hearty meal break, I can’t help but noticing.
才能有长时间的用餐时间 我没法不注意
Hope you’ve got a good idea for your next story, Quoyle.
希望你对下一篇文章已有好主意 科伊尔
I’d hate for Jack to think that it was just beginner’s luck.
我不想让杰克认为 那只是新手的运气
Let the man digest, Tert.
让人休息会吧 卡德
Mind you,
提醒你一下
if I was the esteemed author of the “Shipping News” column,
如果我是被人尊敬的”航运新闻”专栏作者
I’d pick up the McGonigle Oil Field story.
我会写麦克戈尼哥油田的故事
Petro-dollars; a golden flood of jobs.
石油美元; 无数的工作岗位
You write a story about that, I’ll put it right there on the front page.
你写一篇那方面的文章 我在头版发表
Thank you for stopping by, Tert.
感谢你来 卡德
Yeah, thanks, Tert.
谢谢 卡德
What was that all about?
怎么回事?
Oh, uh, he owns Mobil Oil.
他拥有摩比油田
Ten shares.
10%的股份
What about your column?
你的专栏怎样了?
What about it? You said you’d read it to me.
哪方面? 你说过要读给我听
Yeah, I will, once the game is done.
会的 等比赛结束吧
“There’s a 1904 photo…
“有一张1904年的照片
hung in the Killick-Claw Library.
挂在科里克·科劳尔图书馆
Eight schooners heading out to the fishing grounds.
八艘纵帆船向这捕鱼地出发
Their sails are white and beautiful.
他们的帆白色 很漂亮
But nowadays you’re just as likely to see…
但现在你却会看到
a big black shape of an oil tanker…
大大的黑色油轮
like the ruptured Golden Goose.
就象患疝气的金蛋鹅
Last week it leaked 14,000 tons of crude…
上星期它泄露了4000吨♥的原油
onto the seabirds, fish and boats at Cape Despot.
扑向德士波特角的海鸟 鱼和船只
There will be more and more tankers.
还会有更多的油轮
They will get old and corroded, and their tanks will split.
他们将老化 他们的油罐将有裂缝
And there will be less fish, and less fishermen.
造成鱼量更少 渔民也更少
Nobody hangs a picture of an oil tanker on their wall, do they?”
没有人会挂一幅油轮的画在墙上 会吗?”
What do you think?
你觉得怎么样
I think when Tert Card sees it, he’ll stay up nights…
我想当特·卡德看到 他会彻夜难眠
thinking of cheap shots to pay you back.
想找便宜的子弹来回敬你
I think he won’t stop until you’re fired.
他不会罢手直到你被解雇
I think I haven’t been so proud of a friend…
我从没有如此为一个朋友而感到骄傲
since I don’t know when.
因为以前没有
Uh, what do you think?
你认为怎样
Pretty impressive, huh?
印象深刻
Like I said, nobody hangs one of those.
象我所说 没人挂这些东西
Well… your column’s front page stuff.
呃 你专栏首页上的东西
Only now it’s more a caption, is all.
现在比标题更重要了
“More than 3,000 tankers proudly ride the world’s seas.
“3000多艘油轮自豪地游弋在大海上
Even the biggest take advantage…
即使最大的也能利用
of Newfoundland’s deep water ports and refineries.”
纽芬兰的深水港和炼油厂”
Spelled it all perfect, so as not to embarrass you.
拼写得很完美 不会让你麻烦
“Oil and Newfoundland go together like ham and eggs.
“石油和纽芬兰同在
And like ham and eggs,
就象火腿和鸡蛋
they’ll nourish us in the coming years.”
它们将在未来的日子养育我们”
Even put your name on it.
甚至将你的名字写在上面

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!