Got him with a Very pistol.
-好样的 突袭的好 -我总带着一壶酒
– Well done, chaps! Good raid! – l always had a full flask.
给他喝了一口 觉得对不起她
I gave him a drink. I felt very sorry for him.
他说 谢谢你 很好喝
He said, “Danke schön. Das ist gut,”
然后就死掉了
and died.
抓俘虏啦弟兄们
Pick up prisoners, lads!
那次突袭很成功
And it was a very successful little raid.
我想抓到了两个吧 正是他们想要的
They got two prisoners, I think, which was all they all wanted.
顺便一提 战壕突袭抓来的人
By the way, the men who were captured on the trench raids
是我第一次在西线见到的德国人
were the first Germans I saw on the Western Front.
还有什么
Right. What else is there?
很多德国部队的人很好很和善
A lot of the German troops were very good, very friendly.
实际上很多巴伐利亚都很正派
In fact, some of those Bavarians were damn good, decent people.
狙击手会开火但打不到人 懂我的意思吗
The snipers would fire, but not hit anybody, know what I mean?’
树了个德语写的”上帝与我们同在”的牌子
They put up a sign: “Gott mit uns,” in German, “God is with us.”
我们就拿英语树了个”我们也有手套”
We put up a sign up in English, “We’ve got mittens too.”
英语手套和德语上帝读音相近
不知道德国人喜不喜欢这个笑话
We don’t know if the Germans enjoyed that joke or not.’
有一个德国伤员 应该是瓦滕贝格人
‘There was a wounded German, a Wartenberger, I think.
我们也尽力帮他了
We did what we could for him, we gave
给他点吃的之类的事
him a bit of food, that sort of thing.
他还在那骂普鲁士
He was cursing the Prussians like anything.’
撒克逊人在我们面前 提醒我们
The Saxons were in front of us and they gave us the warning
他们要被普鲁士接♥班♥
that they were going to be relieved by the Prussians.
消灭这个疯狂的畜生
[德]军国主义
然后跟我们说 送他们下地狱吧
And they said to us, “Give ’em hell!”
畜生
他们痛恨普鲁士
They hated the Prussians.
军国主义
因为普鲁士都是残忍♥的流氓
‘Cos the Prussians were cruel bastards.
-这边 -快 快
– This way. – Schnell! Schnell!
-你小心点 -过来
– Watch yourself! – Come along!
巴伐利亚和萨克森人
The Bavarians or the Saxonians
是德国人里最文明的了
were the more civilized of the Germans.
都像英国人了说起来
Part-English, if anything.
在前线呆了四天之后 我们换班了
After a four-day spell in the front line, we were relieved
我们还得跑步回
and we had to march back to billet
距离前线好几里的军营
somewhere a few miles behind the lines.
我们应该要放一周的假
We were going for a supposed one-week’s rest.
所有人都疲惫不堪
Everybody was dead whacked.
跟死人差不多
We were all pretty knocked up.
我们从泥潭里解脱出来
‘We extricated ourselves from the mud
然后去讽刺的”休息”
to what was somewhat ironically called “rest”.
在前线上
In the front line itself,
你不会去批评人
you didn’t criticise people.
如果有个家伙
And if you had a chap who was a bit
有点坏 你也只是默默留心
dicky, you would keep an eye on him.
像是一家人一样 但当你撤出前线
It was like being a family but, when you were out of the line,
你就不想和这些人再有什么瓜葛了
you’d want nothing to do with those people at all.
在前线呆了几天一起
You can’t call it “comradeship,”
也不能让你们变成”同志”
exactly, it was the way you did it.
-来拿你们的信 -欢迎回来
– Get your mail! – Welcome back.
我觉得最蠢的一件事是
The thing which always took me as being absolutely stupid
第二天早上
was that the next morning,
所有人都必须一尘不染 真的一尘都不染
every man had to be spick and span, not a trace of mud on him.
你要刷衣服 然后尽量弄干它
You’d brush your clothes or dry them off the best way you could
还要刷靴子
and clean your boots.
换句话说 打扮打扮
In other words, smarten yourself up.
所有男人都一样
The men would always appear the same:
能快乐就快乐
cheerful under the circumstances,
能开心就开心
happy as they could be, and making
非常的乐观
the best of everything, you know,
就是英国人的样子
in true British fashion.’
-怎么了 -都有伦敦式的俏皮
– What? – The Cockney wit was prevalent.
我们像一群哥们在一起
And we were all lads together, you know.
有点困难也没什么
We didn’t care a bugger.
我们都不会大惊小怪了
We’d make a fuss about nothing.
小事已经不那么重要了
Little things that didn’t matter really,
就是消磨时间而已
because it was something to fill the time in.
我们会自娱自乐
We used to have to make our own amusements.
你个混♥蛋♥
Bloody bastard.
一点小事都会让你大笑
You laughed at the slightest things.
可能是因为战场上气氛太紧张
I think probably it was the general tension of the atmosphere
才让我们那样的
that used to make us like that, you know.
我妈妈给我寄来了一块李子布丁
My mother sent me a parcel with a plum pudding of all things
我都不知道怎么吃它
and I had no thought of being able to
然后我们就拿它当球打了
cook it, so we used it as a rugby ball.’
我们会有军团运动会
We had this regimental sports day
应该不止我一个比较清醒
and I won’t say I was the only sober one,
但是大多数人都玩上头了
but most of ’em were, well, merry about it.
加油 打他一拳
Come on. Sock him one!
你什么活动都去参加
I mean, you took part in everything,
因为你得让自己忙起来
because you had to fill your time in,
不然在那你只会呆坐着抽烟
you know, otherwise all you did was sit about and smoke.
-加油哥们 -下来
– Go on, lad! – Get off!
我们只能在回来休息的时候
The only time we saw the artillerymen
-看到炮兵 -开火
– was when we were out at rest. – Fire!
他们大概会在离前线三公里的地方
They would be, say, two miles behind the line.
-八二 -开火
…eight, two… – Fire!
我们想干掉敌人的炮
We wanted to neutralise enemy batteries,
所以告诉我们记录炮手的方位
so we were registering our batteries on his.’
-开火 -快点
– Fire! – Come on!
我们知道炮线和斜角
We used to know the line and elevation
因为飞机也是这么做的
because it was done by aircraft.
他们过去之后再开一炮
Once they’re through, go again!
说来可怕 但是我们
lt’s pretty ghastly, but the idea was
目标就是能杀几个德国炮手
to kill as many German gunners
-就杀几个 -准备
-as you could. – Ready!
开火
Fire!
长官
Sir.
那时候没有机动车来运枪
There was no motorised transport then for guns.
枪是用马来运的
The guns used to be brought up by horses.
每个枪队八匹马 马车队四匹马
Eight horses to each gun team. Four horses to each wagon team.
大概有60匹马
About 60 horses.
炮手发出的响声
‘The gunners made a filthy noise,
让两头的马都受惊了
jingling and jingling and the horses making noises both ends
我们这些去前线打仗的人
and it was always a great concern for
就会很担心他们
those of us who were going to battle.’

Heave!
-加油 -起
– Come on! – Heave!
每个连长负责给自己连发报酬
Each company officer paid his own company.
基本上是我们撤回来
Now, it was generally the first morning
头天早上
after we were out of the line,
你会得到五法郎
you got five francs.
一个法郎值十便士 所以是50便士
A franc was worth ten pence, so 50 pence
是你两周的报酬 50便士
was your pay for a fortnight. 50 pence.
然后就是一周的放荡生活
Now, that’s a week of riotous living.
你的报酬
存一点-到你退伍回归百姓的时候
每个镇子不论大小都有一个妓院
Every town of any size at all had a brothel
那里也是大多数男孩
and that was where most of these boys
我有一堆堆信 来个女人多好
跟正常人不一样的
learnt a little more about life
深入了解人生的地方
than they would ever have done in normal, civil life.
所以尽管他们当时还很年轻
So, although they were young in years,
没用多久他们也世故起来
it wasn’t long before they were quite worldly men.’
有个哥们说
One of the lads said, “Let’s go
去瞧瞧白色星星吧
and have a look in the White Star!
是个小酒吧
It’s like a pub.
营里的小小消遣
我见识不多
I’d led a very sheltered life
然后那些美丽的姑娘就穿了一件蕾丝
and there were beautiful girls with just a piece of lace on.
好男孩
[法]好士兵
天呐 我从来没见过这样的
And, ooh, my word! I’d never seen anything like it before.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!