因为他不能说 他没在场
Because he can’t say he wasn’t there,
他不能说 不是他干的
and he can’t say it wasn’t him,
因为证据证明了在场
because the evidence supporting presence
和身份 这无可争议
and identity is incontrovertible.
那他还能说什么
So what else can he say
来解释科菲·琼斯跟他在一间牢房♥里待了4分钟
about how Kofi Jones ended up dead on a mortuary slab
就成了停尸房♥里的死尸呢
after four minutes in a cell with him?
自卫是他唯一的办法
Self-defense is all he’s got.
惊喜 他会这么说的
Surprise, surprise, that’s what he’s going with.
算我愤世嫉俗吧
Call me a cynic.
卡洛·巴克斯特是何许人
Who is Carlo Baxter?
他是他父亲的好儿子
He’s his father’s son.
他父亲是什么人
Who’s his father?
别去酒店 别回酒店
Don’t go to the hotel. Stay away from the hotel.
不不不
No, no. No, no, no.
离酒店远远的
Get away from the hotel!
-反对 -请关闭
– Objection. – Turn that off, please.
快走
Go!
你们 上来
Both of you, up here.
开什么玩笑
Are you kidding me?
你不喜欢你的木偶师出来说话吗
You don’t like it when your puppet master does the talking?
这毫无关系 法官大人 这证据能说明什么
It’s irrelevant, Your Honor. What does this evidence tell us?
被告的父亲知道他要被逮捕了
That the accused’s father knew he was about to get arrested
所以想阻止此事的发生
and tried to stop it from happening.
这对陪审团有什么用
And how does that help the jury?
让他们再追问一个问题
By making them ask a second question.
-什么问题 -怎么知道的
– Which is? – How?
他怎么知道的 他是警♥察♥吗 不是
How did he know? Is he a police officer? No.
吉米怎么知道的 谁告诉他的
How would Jimmy know? Who told him?
-这有什么相关性 -嗯
– And how is this relevant? – Yeah.
因为如果你是自卫时杀了人
Because if you kill someone while defending yourself,
大部分人 无辜的人 会站出来
most people– most innocent people– come forward
说 “很抱歉我杀了人”
and say, “I’m really sorry I killed someone.”
你是想说明什么吗
Is there an argument in there somewhere?
“我必须那么做 否则死的就是我了”
“I had to do it or they would have killed me first.”
但卡洛和他爸爸都没如此
Not Carlo. Not Carlo and his daddy.
我们能看到支持这说法的证据吗
Are we going to see evidence to support this?
我想让陪审团按照常理来判断
I’m asking the jury to use their common sense.
给我说明一下 拜托
Just lay it out for me, please.
吉米·巴克斯特是个黑帮
Jimmy Baxter is a gangster.
她就这意思 他们不是黑帮
That’s what she wants. They are not gangsters.
巴克斯特家族就是黑帮
The Baxter family are gangsters.
有人把卡洛要被逮捕的事通风报信给了他们
They were tipped off to Carlo’s imminent arrest.
谁报的信
Tipped off by whom?
我们还不知道
We don’t know… yet.
或许约翰尼能告诉你
Maybe Johnny here can tell you.
好了 我不要听她这么瞎说
Okay, I’m not gonna take that shit from her.
好了 够了
All right. Enough. Enough.
这太像有意针对了
This is getting way too personal.
我的法庭不能出现这种情况
I will not have this in my courtroom.
你们都去给我坐下
Now, both of you, go sit down.
女士们先生们
Ladies and gentlemen,
你们刚刚听到的 那段语♥音♥留言
what you just heard– the voice mail message–
你们没听到
you didn’t.
我要你们忘记它
I want you to un-hear it.
如果我要你们无视什么 请相信我
When I tell you to disregard something, take it from me,
肯定是有充足理由的 往往也并非你们想的那样
there’s good reason, and very often it’s not what you think.
所以别乱猜
So please don’t speculate
因为你们可能猜错了
because you’ll probably be wrong.
让我来判断什么可以成为证据
Let me do the work on what should be the evidence.
相信我 就没事
Trust me, and we’ll be fine.

Home.
好一个词
That’s a hell of a word.
莎士比亚
Shakespeare…
说它是英语里最有力量的词
called it the most powerful word in the English language.
这个词我要
It’s a word I’m going to…
请你们在庭审期间
I’m going to ask you to think very, very carefully about
谨慎地思考它
during this trial.
十乘六
Ten… by six.
就这么大
That’s it.
在奥教监狱 这十乘六英尺的地方就是他的家
Inside OPP, a man has ten feet by six feet that he can call home.
卡洛·巴克斯特10月13日晚就在他家里
Carlo Baxter was in his home on the night of October 13th.
他在奥尔良教区监狱里的家
Home was his cell at Orleans Parish Prison.
-反对 -天啊
– Objection. – Jesus.
抱歉 法官大人 但我不能不提出
I’m sorry, Your Honor. I can’t let this go.
这可是我的开场陈述 法官大人
This is my opening, Your Honor.
他清楚有判例专门禁止了
He knows there’s case law specifically excluding
在自卫案中将监狱和牢房♥
prison and jail cells from the definition of “home”
被定义为”家”
in self-defense cases.
我并没想用这个词的法律含义
I’m not using the term in a technical legal sense.
而是想让大家按常理想 法官大人
I’m appealing to their common sense, Your Honor.
这在法律上有歧义
It’s misleading in law.
但在英语里没有 继续吧 赞德先生
But not in English. So, continue, Mr. Zander.
谢谢
Thank you.
一个杀手走进了他家
A killer walked into his home.
律师要对在庭上用的每个词都格外小心
Lawyers have to be very careful about every word we use in court.
所以当我说”杀手”
So when I say “killer,”
我是说
I mean…
“杀人犯”
“killer.”
这点我们能确定
And we know this,
因为就在几天前 他认罪
because, only days before, he pleaded guilty
承认害死了卡洛的弟弟
to causing the death of Carlo’s younger brother,
小弟 罗科
his baby brother, Rocco…
他开车撞到了他
…by hitting him with a car
然后丢下他 死在路边
and leaving him to die by the side of the road.
如果你是卡洛 你会怎么想
What would you think if you were Carlo?
你刚来到奥教监狱
You just arrived at OPP,
独自坐在你的牢房♥里 想着自己的事
sat all alone in your cell, minding your own business,
突然间
and suddenly,
毫无来由地
out of nowhere–
周围也不见警卫 记住
without a guard in sight, mind you–
杀死你弟弟的杀人犯
there’s the killer of your baby brother
就站在那里 看着你
just standing there, looking right at you.
这就足够了
That’s all you need.
就是这个
Right there.
究竟是谁先挑衅
Who’s the aggressor here?
科菲·琼斯从自己的牢房♥走出了300码
Kofi Jones walked 300 yards from his own cell block
还贿赂了警卫 就为见到卡洛
and bribed a guard to get to Carlo.
每个人都有权在自己家里感到安全
You know, every person has a right to be safe in their home.
每个人都是
Everyone.
今晚你们睡觉时 请考虑这一点
I’d like you to think about that tonight as you go to bed.
但愿 你们永远不会醒来时 看到一个
And God forbid you ever wake up to a known killer
已知杀人犯站在你们睡觉的房♥间里
standing in the room you sleep in.
但如果你们真遇到这种情况
But if you do,
如果的话
if you do,
我向你们保证
I promise you this:
你们不需要法律书籍来告诉你们有怎样的权利
you won’t need a law book to spell out your rights.
休庭五分钟
We’ll take five minutes.
-给 -谢谢
– Here you go. – Thank you.
陪审团的字条
Note from the jury.
谁写的
Who wrote this?
我在陪审团室桌上的信封里找到的
I found it in this envelope lying on the table in the jury room.
所以可以是12人中的任一个吗
So it could have been from any one of the 12?
就说我会在证据罗列结束后回答
Tell them I’ll answer it at the end of evidence.
判例法是说牢房♥里自卫的辩护不成立吗
这事板上钉钉了
It’s a done deal.
卡洛没指望了
Carlo’s going down.
好了
All right.
库萨克警督
Lieutenant Cusack.
他怎么了
What about him?
在纳什和麦克斯韦之后审讯了科菲

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!