替换这部…知识分子,政♥治♥宣言
instead of this…Intellectual, political manifesto,
否则我将放弃他的作者身份
I’m going to drop him as an author.
句号♥,别的不要多说
Full stop, not another word.
我们清楚了吗?
Do we understand each other?
这会不会太极端了,先生?
Isn’t that rather drastic, sir?
这个…
This…
将清楚地表明我们的立场
Will clearly articulate our position.
你确定应该由我来传达这个信息吗?
Are you sure I should be the one delivering this message?
哦,是的
Oh, yes.
是的,欧文同意这是
Yes, Owen agrees that this is…
使形势保持乐观的最好方法
the best way to keep the situation
那么,你走吧
cheerful — so, off you go.
记住
And remember,
我们要的是冒险,不是艺术
we want adventure, not art.
安妮,顺便说一下…
Anne, by the way…
别让他碰你一根手指头
Don’t you let him lay a finger on you.
我们每年都要经历这种荒谬的舞蹈,雪莉小姐
We go through this ridiculous dance every year, miss Shirley.
他当真认为他在写伟大的美国经典
He believes he’s writing the great American classic
或诸如此类的废话
or some such nonsense.
晚安
Good night.
你是一位有价值的员工,雪莉小姐
And you are a valued employee, miss Shirley.
请给杰克·加里森先生的房♥间打个电♥话♥好吗?
Could you please ring Mr. Jack Garrison’s room?
就说雪莉小姐在大厅见他
Say that miss Shirley is here to meet him in the lobby.
马上,小姐
Right away, miss.
请接加里森先生的房♥间
Mr. Garrison’s room, please.
你好,加里森先生,有位雪莉小姐在前台
Hello, Mr. Garrison, there’s a miss Shirley here at the desk.
要见你。啊
To meet you. Oh.
好的,先生
Yes, sir.
如你所愿,先生
As you wish, sir.
加里森先生,唔,此刻不适
Mr. Garrison is, uh, indisposed at the moment.
他要你上去等候
He wants you to go up and wait.
他还要几分钟
He’ll be a few more minutes.
我宁愿在大厅等
I’d prefer to wait here in the lobby.
他说他不会下来的
He said he wasn’t coming down.
三楼308号♥套房♥
It’s the third floor, suite 308.
哦,亲爱的,我打扰你了,加里森先生
Oh, dear, I’ve disturbed you, Mr. Garrison.
有人告诉我,你在等我
I was told you were expecting me.
没必要道歉
No need to apologize.
这完全是我的错
It’s entirely my fault.
我,呃,我打瞌睡了
I, uh, I dozed off.
为什么你不进来?
Why don’t you come on inside?
你可以把温菲尔德的便条给我…
And you can give me Winfield’s notes…
还有你自己的便条
And your own notes.
先生,我在外面的大厅等你,你看信吧
I’ll wait out here in the hall, sir, while you read the letter.
把你留在走廊里,会让我失礼的
That would be rude of me, to leave you in the hallway.

Please.
真是个爱耍权术的老暴君
That manipulative old despot.
他究竟又说些什么?
What were his exact words again?
我听他说,如果你不用另一个冒险故事
I heard him say if you didn’t deliver another adventure
来替换这部政♥治♥著作,
instead of this political piece, you’d be dropped
你将被温菲尔德出版社抛弃,句号♥
by Winfield Publishing, full stop.
我呕心沥血花了很多工夫
I’ve spent the better part of the bloody advance.
好吧,在我看来,多写一本书
Well, it seems to me that one more book the top
总比陷入什么法律纠纷要好
of your head is better than getting involved
特别是当他们要
in some legal wrangle, especially if they
强迫你还清这么大笔数的预付款
force you to give back such a large advance.
我就是不想那样的事发生在我身上
I just don’t have it in me.
一个接一个
One more leads to one more
又引起另一个…
leads to one…
现在这本书是天才之作,先生
This current piece is genius, sir.
但是,他们怎么可能出版一部
But how can they possibly publish a chronicle
墨西哥贫困状况的编年史呢?
on the poverty-stricken of Mexico
尤其是写紧接着泰迪·罗斯福”野蛮骑士”之后的事?
(泰迪·罗斯福:即西奥多·罗斯福,美国第26任总统)
living in the wake of Teddy Roosevelt’s rough riders?
他们可以卖♥♥电♥话♥簿
They can sell a telephone book
只要上面有我的名字和适当的封面
with my name and the right cover.
对他们来说,书籍是经过包装的商品
Books are packaged goods to them.
销量随着战争而下降了
Sales are down with the war.
你的读者群正在缩小
Your reading public is diminishing.
我可以为你编造一些借口
I could make up some excuse for you
如果你需要更多的时间来反思
if you need more time to reflect.
不,别走,别走,别走
No, don’t go, don’t, don’t.
我有个建议给你
I have a proposition for you.
请坐下
Sit down, please.
加里森先生…
Mr. Garrison–
我昨天偶然捡到这个…在我们见面的时候
I haphazardly picked this up yesterday…When we met.
对不起
I’m sorry.
希望你不介意,但我阅读了一下
I hope you don’t mind, but I read it.
我得告诉你我笑过多少次
And I have to tell you how often I laughed
哭过多少次
and cried.
你令我决定不再写那些垃圾
You make me want to quit writing the junk I write for good.
我到处找
I was looking everywhere
就是要找它
for this.
我情不自禁地被感动了
I was moved despite myself.
在你的一生中,你会遇到一个
Once in a lifetime you meet someone who you consider
你所希望的那种
is the kind of…
有创意的人…
Creative individual that you wish you–

no.
我希望那个人就是我
I wish I could be.
加里森先生,拜托
Please, Mr. Garrison.
这种赞美是一种受欢迎的滋补品
The compliment is a welcome tonic
对于一个从未获得过
for someone who’s never received
你所拥有的成功的人来说
the kind of success you have.
我建议你
I suggest you decide
决定你想做什么,然后再来找我…
what you want to do and get back to me–
温菲尔德先生
Mr. Winfield.
等等,我还没说完
Wait, I haven’t finished.
雪莉小姐,等一下
Miss Shirley, wait.
如果你不听我说
If you don’t listen,
我就跳楼
I’ll jump.
我会扑到你脚边
I’ll throw myself at your feet.
你喝醉了。另外,跳楼的人
You’re drunk. Besides, people who do it
从来不会事先嚷嚷的
never talk about it first.
不,不要!
No, don’t!
加里森先生,不管怎样,你的书
Mr. Garrison, whatever it is, your book is not
并不值得你要死要活啊
a matter of life or death.
如果温菲尔德想要的是下一部
If what Winfield wants is the next
女性畅销书,那作者一定是你
female best-seller, it’s you.
我必须使用笔名…
I’d have to submit it under a pseudonym like–
让我以我们两人的名义提交这份手稿
let me submit the manuscript under both our names.
你疯了
You’re insane.
晚安
Good night.
如果你不同意,我就跳楼
I’ll jump unless you agree.
不,你不会的,不,你不会的
No, you won’t, no, you won’t.
不,不要,不,不要
No, don’t, no, don’t.
安妮,你很有天赋,而我需要一本书
Anne, you have talent, and I need a book.
我向你保证,它会被出版
I’ll guarantee you it gets published
如果你让我来和温菲尔德打交道
if you let me handle the whole thing with Winfield.
另外,这是一部很棒的书
Besides, it’s a wonderful book.
它将把我从温菲尔德们的
It will free me from the final spectre
最后通牒中一劳永逸地解救出来
of the Windfields once and for all
并且给你带来你应该拥有的读者
and get you the reading public you so richly deserve.
这完全是我的荣幸
The honour would be entirely mine.
我要花很长的时间才能写完这本书
It will take me forever to finish the book.
我…
I….
这只是我的初稿
That’s only my first draft.
让我来做你的编辑
Let me be your editor.
我们会在一个月内交稿
And we’ll submit it within a month.
那好吧
All right.
我会写完初稿,并寄给你
I’ll finish this draft and send it to you.
晚安,加里森先生

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!