But except you are very charming, I don’t know you.
我见到你很兴奋 忘了自我介绍
I’m so excited about meeting you, I quite forgot to introduce myself.
要是你知道我多渴望跟你交谈
If only you knew how anxious I am to talk to you.
我是从纽约来见你的
I came all the way from New York just to see you,
我是你忠实的共鸣论信徒
and you couldn’t have a more loyal disciple of empathicalism than I.
即是谁
Than whom?
抱歉 我是施采
I’m sorry. I’m Jo Stockton.
施小姐 幸会
I’m enchanted, Miss Stockton.
既然你远道而来要跟我交谈
And since you’ve come such a long way to talk with me,
那我们就谈吧
by all means, let us talk.
-有很多东西你可以教我们的 -我明年或会去的
-There is so much you could teach us. -I may go next year and lecture.
你要来看看格林威治村 那是我们的左岸
And you must see Greenwich Village. It’s our Left Bank.
那里的人懂思考和做有用的事
People there think and do things, useful things.
-你住在格林威治村 -是的
-Do you live in Greenwich Village? -Of course.
那我会来
Then I will certainly come.
我们一起做有用的事
Perhaps we can do useful things together.
我肯定全美国
I’m sure that in all America
都没有共鸣学者像你这么漂亮的
there’s no empathicalist as charming as you.
我不想扰人雅兴的…
Well, now, I hate to throw a little, old wet blanket…
亲爱的 你猜不到这个人是谁的
Darling, guess who this is. You’ll never guess.
-你的兄弟 -是霍教授
-Your brother? -Professor Flostre.
颜迪克
This is Dick Avery.
-教授 -你好
-Professor. -How do you do?
你好 我以为你很老
How do you do? I thought you’d be old.
-我也是 你惊奇吗 -惊奇得很
-So did I. Aren’t you surprised? -I’m overcome.
为了你 我答应永不变老
For you, my dear, I promise never to grow old.
-采 来吧 -什么事
-Come on, Jo. -What’s the matter?
我们要去杜那里
We’ve got to get over to Duval’s right away.
-但我…-你要走了
-But I…-Must you go so soon?
我刚开始认识你
I was just beginning to know you.
我可否留下 教授想跟我谈
Couldn’t I just stay a little longer? Professor Flostre wants to talk to me.
你以前都听过了
He won’t say anything you haven’t heard before.
-迪克 你疯了吗 -稍后再谈那个吧
-Dick, have you gone out of your mind? -We’ll talk about that later.
你干什么
What do you think you’re doing?
我从没受过这么大的羞辱
I’ve never been so humiliated in all my life.
你怎么了
What’s gotten into you?
你知不知道…
Have you any idea how stupid…
你怎可以这样粗鲁
How could you be so rude,
在霍教授面前令我尴尬
embarrassing me in front of Professor Flostre?
我怎样对他解释
What am I going to tell him?
什么也不用说
You’re not gonna tell him anything.
你不会再见到他
You’re never gonna see that guy again.
-不会再见到他 -不错
-Not going to see him again? -That’s what I said.
等一会
Now, just a moment.
我千辛万苦来见这个人
I went through all this nonsense so that I could meet this man.
所以我可以跟他谈话
So I could talk to him.
我崇拜他的一切 他的思想
I worship everything he stands for, the way he thinks.
不如你叫我永不吃东西好了
You might as well tell me never to eat again.
美琪 先驱报派了一个瑞典通讯员来
Maggie, the man from the Herald Tribune has brought a correspondent from Sweden.
-越多越好 -他们来了
-Good. The more, the merrier. -They are here, Miss Prescott.
叫他们肃静
Get them quiet, Duval.
-我很快回来 -当然
-I’ll be right back. -Certainly.
当男人像霍望着你般看女人时
When a man looks at a woman the way Flostre looks at you,
我根本无需想象
it doesn’t take any imagination on my part.
-现在试着…-我希望你能明白…
-Now do try to put it on every…-I hope you realize…
-我在说什么 -别害怕
…understand what I’m talking about. -Now don’t be frightened…
若你不这么认真
If you weren’t so deadly serious about all this,
这事会很有趣
it would be terribly funny.
我会检查灯光
Quiet. Now I’m just going to go check the lights.
然后致词 大家准备
Then I make my speech. Everybody ready.
霍可能是个天才
Now, look, Flostre may be the Quiz Kid of the century.
继亚里士多德后最伟大的哲学家
He may be the greatest philosopher since Aristotle,
但他也是个男人
but he’s also a man.
不单是哲学家
And I’m telling you he’s more man than philosopher.
他对我的兴趣
Are you suggesting that Flostre’s interest in me
根本与才华无关
is anything but intellectual?
他跟我一样对你的才华感兴趣
He’s about as interested in your intellect as I am.
各位传媒界的朋友
Ladies and gentlemen of the press, my friends,
我邀请各位认识这位
I have asked you here tonight to meet the woman
被选的女士
selected to represent
她会代表时装刊物翘楚
the most discriminating publication in the world,
《优秀》
QUALITY.
我们忘记这件事 完成工作吧
Let’s forget it and get this thing over with.
忘记它
Forget it?
攻击霍就是攻击我的原则
When you attack Flostre, you attack my principles
我的信念
and the things I believe in.
幸好我们现在发现这些歧见
We’re very fortunate to have found out these things now.
我肯定各位不会失望 她很独特…
I’m certain you will not be disappointed, for she is a rare creature…
百里挑一
Chosen from hundreds for her appearance,
她拥有美貌 高雅 大方 不可言喻的气质
her grace, her poise and her ineffable charm.
我们永远不能调解我们的分歧
Don’t you see we can never reconcile our differences?
它们太基本了
They’re too basic and too elementary.
这不是讨论我们分歧的时候
This is not the time or place to discuss our differences.
求你表演吧
Now, please, just let’s get this show on.
是的 表演
Yes, let’s get the show on.
我们的个人生活并不重要
Our personal lives couldn’t matter less, could they?
-你坐下来好吗 -别管我
-Will you please sit down? -Leave me alone!

Oh, no!
现在为大家介绍优秀女郎
May I present the QUALITY woman!
那是代表什么
What does that one say?
巴黎所有人都异口同声地大笑
All of them, they say the same thing. Everyone in Paris is laughing.
-我没有 -我该想到的
-I’m not. -I should think you wouldn’t be.
这全是你的错
This is all your fault.
我知道 我讲错说话 她很生气
I know. I said some things last night I shouldn’t have said and she got upset.
情侣间争吵罢了
It was just a lovers’ quarrel.
什么
A what?
-你和那个女孩 -有何不可
-You mean you and that girl? -Why not?
不可能的 你在时装界工作
It’s impossible! You belong to the fashion world.
我们冷酷 人工化和缺乏感情
Face it, we’re a cold lot, artificial, and totally lacking in sentiment,
你怎能谈恋爱
so how can you possibly be in love?
-我是害群之马 -那我又怎样
-I’m a black sheep. -Well, what about me?
我的系列又怎样
What about my collection? If she doesn’t come tonight,
-没有她不行的 -长裙都是她的尺码
-I cannot show it. -The gowns that were sewn on her.
我完蛋了
I’m facing ruin.
她会来的 她为人正直
Don’t worry, Duval. She’ll show up. The girl has integrity.
她充满德性
Oh, she’s just filled with virtues, isn’t she?
却不花在我们身上
Only, she’s not wasting any of them on us.
我去过咖啡室 她不在
I went down to the cafe, but she isn’t there.
那么她去了哪里
Never mind where she isn’t. Tell us where she is.
她在酒店 但不肯接听口信
Well, she’s at her hotel, all right, but she just won’t take any messages.
我贿赂接待员
So I bribed the clerk at the desk
让我抄下她的口信
into letting me copy down her phone messages
我们就知道她要做什么了
so we’d know what she’s up to.
我们看看
Let me see.
10点15分 颜迪克来电
”At 10:15, Dick Avery called.”
11点30分 颜迪克来电
”At 11:30, Dick Avery called.”
12点16分 霍教授来电
”At 12:16, Professor Flostre called.”
混帐 无♥耻♥之徒…
That lousy, rotten, good-for-nothing…
今晚我家会举♥行♥国际哲学 诗词
”Having an evening of international philosophy,
歌♥曲和冥想聚会
”poetry, song, and meditation tonight at my salon.
诚意邀请你参加 霍奕谋
”Would be delighted if you would join us. Emile Flostre.”
她今晚会在那里
Well, obviously that’s where she’ll be tonight.
不演出我的系列
And not here showing my collection?
-我完蛋了 -做好了 杜
-I’m ruined! Finished! -Now sit tight, Duval.
我今晚去霍家带她回来
I’ll go to Flostre’s tonight and bring her back.
你最好带个
You’d better take someone along
情绪不太激动的人去 像我
who isn’t emotionally involved, for instance, me.
你们不能进去的
But you’d never get into Flostre’s.
共鸣学者对
Those empathicalists have a very firm way
敌意感应
of dealing with what they call,
反应很强烈

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!