You mustn’t listen to what your younger brother says.
你不必听你弟弟胡说
I can’t think of anyone less an authority on female anatomy.
他纯粹是胡说,没有人会看出这不好
He can see. It’s enormous.
他是对的,这衣服不合身
No, it isn’t. It’s hideous.
不,不是的 它太丑了
Why don’t you show me that dress again?
你为什么不再穿上让我看看呢?
It is a bit full here. Let me have it.
这里有点瘦,让我来
Thanks, Mom.
谢谢妈妈
Tsk.

Taxi! Taxi. Taxi!
出租车! 出租车出租车!
Is this your cab? It’s not my cab.
你也叫了这辆车吗? 不,没有
Is this your cab? Really, it’s not my cab.
你也叫了这辆车吗? 真的,不是我叫的
We’ll share it. But I don’t want it.
我们一起坐吧 但是…
No, we’ll share it. I insist. That way there’ll be no ill feelings.
不,我们一起坐,我坚持,那样就会都不耽误了
Are you going to Sally’s too? No.
你也要去萨利那里吗? 不
Well, that settles it. Come with us. That way we’ll all be going the same direction.
好,那就没问题了,跟我们一起来吧,我们同路
You should come, otherwise we’re all gonna freeze out here.
来吧,否则我们会再这里冻僵的
Come on!
来吧!
Hi. I’m Nick. Hi, Nick. I’m Tom.
嗨,我叫尼克 嗨,尼克,我叫汤姆
Nice to meet you. I’m Jane. This is Audrey.
很高兴见到你 我叫简,这是奥德丽
Hi,Jane. You are going to Sally’s, aren’t you?
嗨,简 你们要去萨利那里,不是吗?
Of course there’s a God. We all basically know there is.
当然有个上帝,这是我们都知道的
I know no such thing. Of course you do.
我不知道 你当然知道
When you think to yourself-And most of our waking life is taken up thinking to ourself…
当你思考你自己,我们的生命里的大部分清醒的时间被用来思考我们自己…
you must have that feeling that your thoughts aren’t entirely wasted…
你一定有这样的感觉,你的思考没有浪费…
that, in some sense, they are being heard.
在某种意义上,它们被聆听
Hey, I think it’s this sensation of silently being listened to…
嘿,我认为这宁静的感觉会被聆听…
with total comprehension…
全部包容…
Hi, Sally. You got here so fast.
嗨,萨利 你们来得可真快
Hello! that represents our innate belief in a supreme being.
哈罗! 那表明出我们生而被上帝眷顾
Nice to meet you. We stole his cab.
见到你真高兴 我们抢占了他的出租车
What’s his name again? Tom Townsend.
再告诉我一遍他叫什么? 汤姆·唐萨德
No, I think it was something else.
不,是别的什么名
No, it’s Tom Townsend, I’m sure.
不,是汤姆·唐萨德,我确定
He looks familiar.
看起来他对这里很熟
He’s the guy that was sitting at the table behind ours without talking to anyone all evening.
他整晚坐在我们后面,没和任何人说话
Then, outside, he got the cab that we were trying to flag down.
出来后,他和我们招了同一辆出租车
But he insisted that we take it, so Nick insisted that he come along too…
但是他坚持让我们坐,然后尼克坚持邀请他同坐…
so that there should be no ill feeling.
那样就皆大欢喜了
What it shows is that a kind of belief is innate in all of us.
那表明我们天生就有一种信念
At some point most of us lose that…
有时,我们几乎忘了…
after which it can only be regained by a conscious act of faith.
直到我们有意识进行一种宗教的活动才又唤起它
You’ve experienced that?
你有这方面的经验?
Uh, no, I haven’t.
嗯,没有
I-I hope to someday.
我,我希望哪天有机会的
Actually, it wasn’t my cab. I was just there waiting for the light to change when it pulled up.
实际上,我没有叫出租车,我只是在那里等红灯
I never take cabs. You never take cabs?
我没有叫出租车 你没有叫出租车?
No, I either walk or take public transportation.
没有,我或者会步行,或者乘公交车来
Why? A lot of reasons.
为什么? 有许多原因
So you’re one of those public transportation snobs.
那么你是那些假模假式提倡公共交通的人
You look down on people who take taxis. No, not at all.
你看不起那些乘出租车的人 不,一点也不
That’s how New York’s seen, at least in the popular imagination.
那就是纽约人的看法,至少是通俗的看法
I don’t think that there is a popular imagination.
我不认为那是普遍的看法
What do you mean? Just that.
你是什么意思? 就是这个意思
I don’t think that there is a popular imagination.
我不认为存在普遍的看法
Pomfret. Where did you go? Farmington.
波夫瑞特,你是那个学校的? 法明顿
Both of us did.
我们是同学
Did you know Serena Slocum there?
你认识那里的塞丽娜·斯洛克姆吗?
The inevitable question. What?
又来了 什么?
All the guys ask that. Serena had an incredible number of boyfriends. At least 20.
所有人都问我这个问题,塞丽娜同时拥有许多男朋友,至少二十个
She could manage it because they were all at different schools…
她能应付的来,因为他们在不同的学校里…
and she wrote letters incredibly quickly.
并且她写信非常快
Three in a single study hall. She became really famous.
在自习室里一写就是三封,她真的很有名
It’s incredible how naive some guys are. How do you know Serena?
有些男孩子真是幼稚的难以置信,你怎么知道塞丽娜的?
Actually, that might give someone the wrong impression.
实际上,你那么说可能会给人错误的印象
She wrote a lot of guys, but I’m sure she liked some a lot more than others.
她同时应付许多人,但是我确定她喜欢其中的某些
Oh, you think so? I never noticed that. How do you know Serena?
哦,你这样认为?我没有注意到,你怎么知道塞丽娜的?
I was one of her boyfriends.
我是她的一个男朋友
Oh. You must be Pomfret.
哦,你一定是波夫瑞特
Your letters were really good. Yes.
你的信写的真好 是的
What do you mean? They were interesting.
你什么意思? 它们很有趣
Serena let you read my letters?
塞丽娜让你们读我写的信?
No. She read them aloud.
不,是她大声读出来
I can’t believe it.
真难以置信
She only read us the ones that she thought were really good.
她只给我们读那些她认为写的好的信
Or really bad. But yours were really good.
或者那些糟透了的,但是你写的真好
There was no suggestion of ridicule, if that’s what’s worrying you. At least not that I can recall.
如果这些让你担心,我们并不是想奚落你,至少不是我们提起的
I remember a long letter you wrote Serena about agrarian socialism.
我还记得你写给塞丽娜的一封关于社♥会♥主♥义♥土地改革的长信
I think it was one of the first things to set Alice Dreyer off about Marxism.
我认为那让艾丽丝·德瑞尔第一次接触马♥克♥思♥主义
Since then she’s joined the Red Underground Army.
之后她就加入了红色地下军
If she blows herself up, it’ll be your fault.
如果她成为人♥体♥炸♥弹♥,那将是因为你的过失
It’s actually surprising to see you at something like this.
实际上,在这种情况下遇到你真让人惊讶
In your letters, you expressed a vehement opposition to deb parties…
在你的信里,你明确的表达了对社交聚会的强烈反感…
and to conventional society in general.
还有上流社会
I take it you’ve changed your mind. No.
我认为你改变了你的观点 不
I’m just as much opposed to them as ever. Then what made you decide to come tonight?
我仍然坚持这种观点 那是什么使你决定今晚来这里呢?
He got an invitation.
他收到了一个邀请
He’s right. I got an invitation and didn’t particularly have anything else to do.
对,我收到了邀请并且也没有什么要紧的事要做
I think that’s the case with almost everybody.
我想大家都是这样
No. Nick goes whether he’s invited or not.
不,尼克不知道是否会被邀请
Unlike Tom, I’m in favor of these kind of parties, and I wanna show that support however I can.
和汤姆不同,我喜欢这种聚会,并且我想表现出我对它的支持
It’s a bit ridiculous for someone to say they’re morally opposed to deb parties…
真荒谬,说着精神上反对这种聚会…
and then attend them anyways.
却又来参加
It’s… It’s untenable.
这…这种说法站不住脚
Everyone does. But that’s no contradiction.
每个人都这样 但这并不矛盾
I wasn’t trying to.
我没有试过
I think it’s justifiable to go once, to know firsthand what it is you oppose.
我想有理由尝试一下,体验一下我反对的究竟什么是
I’d read Veblen, but it was amazing to see that these things still go on.
我读过维布伦,但令人吃惊的是那些东西还在继续
You’re a Marxist? No, I’m a committed socialist, not a Marxist.
你是马♥克♥思♥主义者? 不,我是社♥会♥主♥义♥者,不是马♥克♥思♥主义者
I favor the socialist model developed by the 1 9th-century French social critic Fourier.
我钟情于十九世纪法国社会学家傅立叶所倡导的社会模式
You’re a Fourierist?
你是傅立叶的信徒?
Yes.
是的
Fourierism was tried in the 1 9th century and failed.
傅立叶空想社♥会♥主♥义♥在十九世纪做过尝试,但是失败了
I mean, wasn’t Brook Farm Fourierist?
不是布鲁克农庄那个傅立叶主义?
It failed. That’s debatable.
它失败了 那是有争议的
Whether Brook Farm failed? That it ceased to exist, I’ll grant you.
布鲁克农庄是否失败了? 它不在存在了,我同意你的看法
But whether it was really a failure, I don’t think can be definitively said.
但是它是否真的失败了,我不认为现在可以下定论
Well -Well, for me, ceasing to exist is failure.
好,好,对于我,它不在存在就是失败
I mean, that’s… that’s pretty definitive.
那…那很确定
Well, everyone ceases to exist. That doesn’t mean everyone’s a failure.
嗯,每个人都会不再存在,那不意味着每个人都是失败者
You really feel that way? I really do.
你真的有这种感觉? 真的
Really? Really!
真的? 真的!
Tom Townsend.
汤姆·唐萨德
Tom Townsend.
汤姆·唐萨德
It’s a fine name.
这名字很好
What about Tommy? Tommy Townsend?
汤米怎么样?汤米·唐萨德?
It’s sounds more U.C.
那听起来更UC
Really? What’s that?
真的?是什么意思?
Well, we come here all the time, thus the S.F.R.P. …
我们一直来这里聚会,因为S.F.R.P.…
Sally Fowler Rat Pack. Oh.
萨利·福勒,老鼠会 哦
Mine and Charlie’s are too.
我的和查理的都是
But that’s the ex… exception though.
但那是非主流的想法
I mean, divorce is actually comparatively rare among standard New York social types…
我是说,在标准的纽约社会生活中离婚是很罕见的…
contrary to what people might think.
正好与人们的看法相左
Well, usually there’s something wrong though.
通常总有一些错误的看法
Dead fathers are a common problem.
父亲死亡是个很普遍的问题
Jane’s father’s dead. Very suddenly, last year.
简的父亲死了,很突然,在去年
Must have been awful for her. Yes.
对她打击很大吧 是的
It was tough on him too.
对他打击也很大
That’s different though. That doesn’t mean a broken home.
尽管那很不同,但是那不意味这一个破碎的家
Well, it still means having your mother go out on dates.
你仍然和母亲在一起出去约会

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!