琼斯先生
Mr. Jones…
我很惊讶 劳合·乔治竟会
I’m surprised, Lloyd George would
让自己的外交顾问冒险
risk his foreign advisor.
他没有
He didn’t.
没有吗
No?
你的意思是 我们该放了你吗
Are you saying, we should release you?
那些工程师呢 我们也该放了吗
What about the engineers? Should we release them too?
我告诉你
This is what we’ll do:
我们可以放你回劳合·乔治那儿去
We will send you back to Lloyd George,
但其他间谍不行
but we will keep the other spies.
如果劳合·乔治的外交顾问回到英国后
And when Lloyd George’s foreign advisor returns to England
能诚实地说出
and tells the truth
他看见了什么
about what he saw,
你们的工程师就能活下来
your engineers will live.
琼斯先生
Mr. Jones…
你喜欢你的乡村之旅吗
Did you enjoy your trip to the country-side?
很好
Good.
你看到那些快乐又自豪的农民
You saw the happy and proud farmers?
和非常高效的集体农场了吗
The remarkable efficiency of our collective farms?
所谓的饥荒只是谣言而已
And any rumours of a famine, are just that, simply rumours.
饥荒是什么
What are they?
-谣言 -还有呢
– Rumours. – And…?
根本没有饥荒
There is no famine.
再说一遍
And repeat!
根本没有饥荒
There is no famine.
很好
Good.
你要知道
As you know…
有些人希望我们的改革失败
There are those that would like to see, our revolution fail.
但我们一定会成功
But we won’t let that happen.
对吗 琼斯先生
Will we Mr. Jones?
-对 -我安排好了你回国的行程
– No. – I’ve arranged your passage home.
这是你的行李箱
We have your suitcase here for you.
琼斯先生
Mr. Jones…
实际上 是我说服他们放了你
I’ll have you know, I convinced them to let you go.
你那么勇敢 不应被关在监狱里
You don’t deserve to be in a prison, for your bravery.
你知道的 杜兰蒂先生
You knew, Mr. Duranty.
知道什么
Knew what?
斯大林给你多少钱
How much is Stalin paying you?
你为什么留在这 为他们说谎
What’s keeping you here, lying for them?
要报道如今的苏联有多难
You wouldn’t know the first thing about
你根本一无所知 不是吗
how difficult it is to report for Moscow today, would you?
你那么天真 当然不知道
Of course not, you’re just a child.
记者的职责不是质问”先生 你怎么敢”
It is not the job of a journalist to say: “How dare you sir”.
你真的以为 你可以采访斯大林
You actually thought, you could interview Stalin
然后改变什么 是吗
and make some kind of difference didn’t you?
我旅行的纪念品
A souvenir from my trip.
-树皮 那的人们只能吃这个 -好吧
– Tree bark… It’s all the people have left to eat. – Alright…
你可以把它放在你的普利策奖杯边上
You can put it next to your Pulitzer.
快走
我们走吧
亲爱的琼斯先生
My dear Mr. Jones…
每个人的一生中都会有
There comes a time in every man’s life,
必须选择一条道路的时候 它比人本身
when he must choose a course… greater than himself,
比人点点滴滴的可悲抱负加起来都伟大
than all his miserable little ambitions put together.
或许有一天你也必须选择
Perhaps someday you will.
我很遗憾 你本可以成为优秀的记者
It’s a shame! You would have made a fine journalist.
我猜现在审查官们会变得很忙
Well, I guess now, the censors are gonna be really busy!
只要再过 几天
Just wait…. a few days.
艾达
Ada!
他来了 琼斯
There he is. Jones!
-你看上去很不错 -见到你很高兴
– You look great. – Good to see you!
快来见见我的新晋出版作家
I want you to meet my newest published author.
-我该怎么叫你 -埃里克·布莱尔
– What do I call you now? – Eric Blair.
加雷斯·琼斯
Gareth Jones.
布莱尔不是他的笔名
You won’t find Blair on the bookshelf.
“奥威尔”才是
You have to look for “Orwell”.
乔治·奥威尔
George Orwell.
像是 在河边的意思
Like…After the river.
谢谢
Thank you.
-琼斯先生要喝酒吗 -他不喝酒
– I think Mr. Jones needs a drink. – He doesn’t drink.
我以为我的客户里就你不喝酒
I think you’re my only client, who doesn’t.
结果他或许真能干出点事业
Then he might actually get some work done.
我俩总不能全军覆没
One of us must.
-我们不是做慈善的 伦纳德 -胡说八道
– We’re not a charity Leonard. – Nonsense!
《伦敦巴黎落魄记》会成为轰动
“Down and Out in Paris and London” will be a sensation.
乔治·奥威尔的首部长篇小说
伦纳德说你在写一本关于苏联的书
Leonard tells me, you’re working on a book about the Soviet Union.
我 我恐怕是这样说过
Oh, I’ve… I’ve been using that line for some time I’m afraid.
我 我确实有个故事
I… I do have a story…
但如果我讲了 六个无辜的人会死
but if I tell it, six innocent men will die.
-什么人 -那些英国工程师
– What men? – The British engineers.
可如果我写出来
But if I write the story,
或许可以拯救数百万人
millions of lives may be saved.
我认为
I think, ah…
无论结果如何 你都该说出来
you speak the truth. Regardless of the consequences it is…
这是你的责任 我们也有权知道真♥相♥
your duty and… it is our right to… to hear you.
这合情合理 不是吗
It’s just common sense isn’t it?
我相信那六位英国公民是无辜的
The six British citizens whom I believe are innocent,
而苏联扣押他们 作为谈判的筹码
are being held as bargaining chips by Moscow.
如果英国对这个威胁屈服了
If we in the West, fold to this blackmail,
那可能会导致空前的灾难
we are, potentially allowing unprecedented catastrophe.
苏联并不像承诺的那样 是工人的天堂
The Soviet Union is not the worker’s paradise that was promised.
也不是新闻里所写的”伟大实验”
It is not the “Great Experiment” you read about in the press.
斯大林没有惊人的新成就
Stalin has no stunning new achievement.
除非你认为 杀掉数百万
Unless you consider, killing millions of
无辜的人是种成就
innocent people an achievement.
毫无疑问
Make no mistake.
如果我们无视这次人为的饥荒 不制裁他
If we let him get away with this man made famine,
还会有别的像他一样的人出现
there will be others like him…
感谢您的倾听
Thank you very much.
谢谢
Thank you.
故事很精彩
Quite a story.
或许苏联已经竭尽全力
Maybe The Soviets are doing the best they can,
也做了最好的决定
making the best decisions they can…
毕竟世道艰难
given the circumstances.
他们的免费学校不错吧
What about their free schools?
还有免费医院
Free hospitals?
是的 可代价不大吗
Yes, but at what cost?
可社会确实能更平等 苏联只是还不完美
A more egalitarian society does exist, it’s just not perfect,
我们也不能要求它完美 实验需要时间
We can’t expect it to be, experiments take time to gel.
平等的社会
An egalitarian society…
它和以前的制度一样 存在着剥削
It’s the same system of exploitation that exists here,
但它更糟糕
only it’s worse.
难以想象的糟糕
Unimaginably worse.
-我相信我亲眼所见的 -当然
– I know what I saw. – Of course you do…
我相信你
Of course you do, but…
不过这件事要具体情况具体分♥析♥
But one has to put it in the proper context.
听我说
Listen to me.
斯大林可不是你想象中的那个人
Stalin is not the man, who you think he is.
那你的意思是没有希望了吗
Are you saying there’s no hope?
怎么了 发生了什么事
为什么纽♥约♥时♥报♥没有刊登关于饥荒的报道
Why didn’t the New York Times break the famine story?
仔细想想这件事
Consider the source:
劳合·乔治的助手为什么非要在此时
Lloyd George’s aid comes out with this now
在我们和英国人正谈合作的时候
in the middle of all this business
发表这种言论
with the British engineers.
你打听到了什么
What are you hearing?
关于饥荒的消息都是耸人听闻的
It’s all over-blown, hysteria.
英国政♥府♥想要什么 另一场战争吗
What does London want. Another war?
这件事你会一查到底吗
You’ll get to the bottom of this?
-当然 -我们明天就要结果
– Of course. – We need it tomorrow.
就在那一刻
Just as that moment,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!