Yeah.
呃,我……我很高兴你能来。
Uh, I’m… I’m so glad you’re here.
你看起来太棒了!
You look great!
所以你!
So do you!
我很高兴你来了,乔。我一直想跟你道歉。
I’m glad you’re here, Jo. I’ve been wanting to apologize.
什么?
What?
我给你寄那封信时很生气。
I was angry when I sent you the letter.
我写的东西不是我的本意。
I wrote stuff I didn’t mean.
不,不要道歉。你应该生气。
No, don’t apologize. You should be angry.
我……你没生我的气,我很生气。
I’m… I’m angry at you for not being angry at me.
我……我没有生气,顺便说一句,这很荒谬。
I’m… I’m not angry, and that’s absurd, by the way.
你伤害了我,我需要释放。
You hurt me, and I needed to unleash.
我应该好好分手,你知道的。
I deserved a proper break-up, you know.
“卡尔,我要离开你了”
You know, “Karl, I’m leaving you,”
你知道的,平常的事。
you know, the usual stuff.
是的……
Yeah…
—一般的东西。—嗯。
– The usual stuff. – Mm-hmm.
当你离开时,这个公♥寓♥感觉很压抑。
The apartment felt depressing when you left.
我没读……我没有读你的信。
I didn’t read… I didn’t read your letter.
哦,为—为什么吗?
Oh, wh-why?
不,我,嗯……
No, I, um…
我没法从乔身边走过去。
I couldn’t make it past Jo.
没人叫我乔,所以……
Nobody else calls me Jo, so…
我想让你回到我的生活中。
I want you back in my life.
就算只是打个电♥话♥
You know, even if it’s just a phone call
偶尔。
every once in a while.
你是我最好的朋友。
You were my best friend.
我想你,乔。
I miss you, Jo.
我也想你。
I miss you too.
我明白了,虽然很假,
I’ve learned that, as phony as it may be,
你不能到处表露你该死的情绪
you can’t go around revealing your goddamn emotions
向世界。
to the world.
大多数人根本不在乎
Most people don’t give a flying hoot
关于你的想法和感受
about, like, what you think and feel
大多数时候,我想。
most of the time, I guess.
如果他们看到了你的弱点……
And if they see a weakness…
我是说,看在上帝的份上,为什么流露情感就是一种软弱?
I mean, why, for God’s sake, is showing emotion a weakness?
天啊,他们会扑到你身上,对吧?
Boy, do they jump all over you, right?
它们似乎就在你该死的脸上,然后……
They seem to get right in your goddamn face and…
……陶醉在你确实有感觉的事实中。
…revel in the fact that you are actually feeling something.
是好吗?
Is it good?
什么?
What?
手稿,好吗?
The manuscript, is it good?
这很有趣。
It’s interesting.
但你讨厌它?
But you hate it?
我不……我不讨厌它。
I don’t… I don’t hate it.
也许我真的很讨厌它,所以它很好。
Or maybe I do hate it, and that’s why it’s good.
这是古怪上瘾。
It’s weirdly addictive.
但是……
But…
我不想读他的性生活。
I don’t want to read about his sex life.
没人想读他的性生活。
No one wants to read about his sex life.
也许我只是被他的冷淡惹恼了。
Maybe I’m just annoyed by his nonchalance.
还是因为……
Or because…
他在写作,而我没有。
He’s writing and I’m not.
我明白了。
I understand.
这是怎么呢
What’s going on?
嘘!
Shhh!
有消息随时通知我们,谢谢。
Well, keep us posted and thank you.
显然,他开枪自杀了。
Apparently, he shot himself.
等等,谁……谁开枪自杀?
Wait, who… who shot himself?
丹尼尔,乔安娜。
Daniel, Joanna.
丹尼尔自杀了。
Daniel committed suicide.
丹尼尔?
The Daniel?
在客厅,而玛格丽特在卧室。
In the living room, while Margaret was in the bedroom.
这不可能!丹尼尔是一个漂亮的男人。
This can’t be right! Daniel is a beautiful man.
他很贴心,很善良,而且……这不可能!
He’s sweet and he’s kind and… This can’t be happening!
但是他看起来很好!
But he looked fine!
他是双相。
He was bipolar.
这些年来玛格丽特一直照顾他。
Margaret took care of him all these years.
他是她哥哥?
He was her brother?
的爱人。
Lover.
的20年。
Of 20 years.
等等,我们说的是同一个丹尼尔吗?
Wait, are we talking about the same Daniel?
丹尼尔和海伦结过婚,你见过她。
Daniel was married to Helen, whom you’ve met.
他和海伦住了半个星期
He lived half the week with Helen
另一半和玛格丽特一起。
and the other half with Margaret.
他们……分享了他的关心。
They… shared his care.
他们分享他。
They shared him.
玛格丽特和另一个女人共用一个男人?
Margaret shared a man with another woman?
乔安娜,如果有人打电♥话♥来,
Joanna, if anyone calls,
告诉他们她在家工作,留个口信,
tell them she’s working from home and take a message,
没有提到这个。
and no mention of this.
如果是杰瑞呢?
What about if it’s Jerry?
尤其是如果是杰瑞。
Especially if it’s Jerry.
你能改天再做吗?
Can you please do that some other time?
很好。
Fine.
谢谢。
Thanks.
玛格丽特的办公室。乔安娜说。
Margaret’s office. Joanna speaking.
嗨,乔安娜!这是杰里。你好吗?
Hi, Joanna! It’s Jerry. How are you?
你好!我很好。你好吗?
Hi! I’m well. How are you?
那里的天气怎么样?
How is the weather down there?
闷热。
Muggy.
你的老板在吗?
Is your boss around?
没有,恐怕她出去了。
No, I’m afraid she’s out.
她最近经常出去呀。
She’s been out a lot lately.
是啊,她很忙,有很多会议。
Yeah, she’s very busy, lots of meetings.
有什么我可以帮忙的吗?
Is there anything I can help you with?
我来问你点事。
Let me ask you something.
这个叫克利福德·布拉德伯里的家伙……
This, uh, Clifford Bradbury fellow…
确定。
Sure.
你觉得他怎么样?
What do you make of him?
我喜欢他。
I like him.
有时候,我觉得他会想太多,
Sometimes, I think he can overthink things,
但他只是不想让你失望。
but he just doesn’t want to let you down.
你每天都写吗?
Have you been writing every day?
大多数日子
A lot of days.
他们让我负责这里 。
They’ve given me more responsibility around here,
所以我一直在读手稿!
so I’ve been reading manuscripts!
乔安娜,你是一名作家,对吗
You’re a writer, Joanna, aren’t you?
非代理,非秘书
Not an agent, not a secretary.
我不知道。
I don’t know.
抱歉,我错过了
Sorry, I missed that.
我有点听不清 。
I’m a little deaf.
是的,嗯,是的!
Yes, um, yes!
我是一个作家。
I’m a writer.
这么写!
So write!
即使早上只有15分钟。
Even if it’s just 15 minutes in the morning.
保护圣殿,好吗?
Protect that sanctuary, OK?
乔安娜,别老是接电♥话♥
Don’t get stuck answering the phone, Joanna.
你是一个诗人。
You’re a poet!
—嘿!—嘿,马克!
– Hey! – Hey, Mark!
为《纽约客》工作是什么感觉
What is it like, working for The New Yorker?
那你何不哪天到我办公室来一趟?
Well, why don’t you come by the office one day?
我们带你四处看看。
We’ll show you around.
我非常愿意!
I would like that very much!
你自己写作吗?
Do you write yourself?
嗯……
Uh…
没关系!我们不会告诉你老板的!
It’s OK! We won’t tell your boss!
我……我已经在《巴黎评论》上发表了两首诗
I… I’ve published two poems in The Paris Review,
我正在创作一些新作品。
and I’m working on some new material.
嗯,我们很乐意看看你的材料

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!