We will expect you at 8:00 a.m. sharp, January 8.
我再也不回伯克利了。
I never went back to Berkeley.
纽约将是我的新家、写作就是我的新生活,
New York was to be my new home, writing, my new life,
令人垂涎的工作完全可以支付租金。
with a coveted job to pay the rent.
—你好!—嘿!
– Hi! – Hey!
嗯……嘿!来,来,加入我们。
Um… Hey! Come, come, come join us.
—你好!— 嗨,嗨,马克。
– Hi! – Hi, hi, Mark.
—各位,这是乔安娜。—我是乔安娜。是的,你好!
– Everyone, this is Joanna. – I’m Joanna. Yeah, hi!
这位是马克。这是丽莎。
And this is Mark. This is Lisa.
他们,他们刚刚订婚了
They, uh, they just got engaged
所以,我们要庆祝一下。
so, uh, we’re celebrating.
哦,哇!哦我的天哪!
Oh, wow! Oh my goodness!
恭喜你!
Congratulations!
这是假的。
It’s fake.
坐……坐……坐下来。
Sit… sit… sit down.
办公室真是太棒了。
The office is incredible.
自1927年以来,一切都没变过。
It’s like nothing’s changed since 1927.
猜猜我老板代表的是谁。
And, um, guess who my boss represents.
—安妮·赖斯?—教皇。
– Anne Rice? – The Pope.
—托马斯·品钦。—J.D.塞林格。
– Thomas Pynchon. – J.D. Salinger.
—没门!—他还活着?
– No way! – He’s still alive?
是的,他是。
Yeah, he is.
他住在新罕布♥什♥尔州,基本上完全与世隔绝。
He lives up in New Hampshire, in basically total isolation.
记者们总是想在当地的餐馆里偶遇他
Reporters are always trying to ambush him in the local diner
或者偷偷溜进他的房♥子。
or try to sneak onto his property.
我喜欢《麦田里的守望者》
I love Catcher in the Rye.
《弗兰妮与佐伊》是我的最爱。
Franny and Zooey is my favorite.
我朋友凯特以前在他的出版社工作。
My friend Kat used to work at his publisher’s.
有天晚上,她工作到很晚,
And, one night, she was working late,
比如,凌晨一点,
like, 1:00 a.m. late,
办公室里的电♥话♥响个不停。
and the phone rings in the office and keeps ringing.
于是她拿起来,
So she picks it up,
她听到有人在尖叫。
and she heard someone screaming.
手稿是安全了!
The manuscript is OK!
我把手稿从火里救了出来!
I saved the manuscript from the fire!
塞林格吗?
Salinger?
他的房♥子被烧毁了,
His house had burned down,
他在半夜给我打电♥话♥,
and he called in the middle of the night,
假设有人在办公室。
assuming someone would be at the office.
这不是疯了吗?
Isn’t that crazy?
我读到他还在写作,但不想出版。
I read he still writes, but doesn’t want to publish.
写作使你成为作家。
Writing makes you a writer.
出版是商务。
Publishing is commerce.
这简直是一派胡言,唐!
That is such a crock of shit, Don!
这是一种先发制人的论调
This is some pre-emptive strike argument
万一他从来没卖♥♥过小说,
in case he never sells a novel,
如果你能完成。
if you ever finish.
我会的,但今天是乔安娜的事
I will, but today is about Joanna
以及她如何走向黑暗
and her crossing to the dark side
和书商在一起。
with the book merchants.
—干杯! —干杯!
– Cheers! – Cheers!
谢谢!
Thanks!
我碰到唐是在不久以前
I had met Don days earlier
他在一家社♥会♥主♥义♥书店兼♥职♥
in a socialist bookstore where he worked part time.
以前在这儿没见过你。
Haven’t seen you around here before.
让我猜一猜。
Let me guess.
你是《纽约客》的实习生吗?
You’re an intern at The New Yorker?
除了反对物质主义和提高阶级意识之外
Besides fighting materialism and raising class awareness,
唐喜欢拳击,诺曼·梅勒,还有
Don amuse boxing, Norman Mailer and…
是的,我在写小说。
Yeah, I’m writing a novel.
他一直向往成为一个作家。
He was straightforward about being a writer.
我钦佩他的信心。
I admired his confidence.
你知道巴拿马咖啡馆吗?
Do you know the Panama Café?
它在A大道,有点像作家的聚集地。
It’s on Avenue A. It’s kind of like a writers’ hangout.
我有,事实上,他们有……
I do, actually, yeah, they have…
诗歌♥朗诵。
Poetry readings.
爱,就是那个很难找到的人。
Love is the one who’s hard to find.
爱是那个懂你心思的人。
Love’s the one who knows your mind.
爱是滋养你灵魂的人。
Love’s the one who feeds your soul.
爱是拥有和不放手的人。
Love’s the one to have and hold.
但是等一下。持有如何?
But hold a minute. Hold how?
有上百种方法可以把她扶起来或压下去。
There’s a hundred hungry ways to hold her up or hold her down.
她还能四处走动吗?
Will she still be able to get around?
她能坚持自己的立场吗?
Will she be able to hold her ground?
于是她一直挖到箱子的底部
So she digs down deep to the bottom of the box
寻找狐狸的原始皮。
to find the original hide of the fox.
它就在那里。
And it’s there, all right.
你到底去哪了?
Where the hell were you?
今天割下该死的草,
Cut the goddamn grass today,
不然我就把你的车卖♥♥了,听见了吗?
or else I’m selling your K-car, you hear?
亲爱的塞林格,
Dear Mr. Salinger,
我读了你的书《麦田里的守望者》
I read your book The Catcher In the Rye
3次。
3 times now.
这是一部杰作,我相信你一定引以为豪。
It’s a masterpiece, and I hope you’re proud of it.
我的意思是,你肯定是的。
I mean, you certainly should be.
大多数今天写的废话
Most of the crap that’s written today
非常隐晦,也让我不舒服。
is so uncompelling, it makes me sick.
我的意思是,没有多少人写东西
I mean, not too many people write anything
是完全出于真心的。
that even approaches sincerity.
,我不是说
And I don’t mean to say
每个人读你的书可以理解,
that everyone who reads your book gets it,
至少是,
not at all.
大部分的人
Lots of people don’t.
我是说,我可以给你很多愚蠢的例子,
I mean, I can give you plenty of idiotic examples,
但我不会。
but I won’t.
想到这里你可能会笑出声来,
You might be laughing out loud right now at the thought,
但我认为我可以。
but I think I get it.
也许我也不行。
Maybe I don’t.
你好!
Hello!
嗯,你在这里。
Well, you’re here.
我是!
I am!
我们知道你会打字,万岁!
We know you can type, hooray!
但你用过录音机吗?
But have you ever used a dictaphone?
自在。
At ease.
一开始可能有点棘手,
It can be tricky at first,
但我相信你会找到窍门的。
but I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it.
播放,倒带,我认为这些控制速度。
Play, rewind, and I think those control speed.
休可以帮助。
Hugh can help.
休……
Hugh…
你可以从这些开始。
You can get started with these.
这是我们的技术领域。
This is our technological area.
这一切都是全新的。
It is all very new.
这是你要用的复印机
This is the Xerox machine you’ll use
复印我的信件。
to make copies of my correspondence.
我想那就是你要复♥制♥的按钮。
I believe that is the button you press to make a copy.
她给你演讲了吗
Did she give you her speech
关于数字时代的邪恶?
about the evils of the digital age yet?
麦克斯,这是乔安娜,我的新助理。
Max, this is Joanna, my new assistant.
—你好,乔安娜!—麦克斯。
– Hello, Joanna! – Max.
—很高兴见到你。—很高兴见到你。
– Nice to meet you. – Nice to meet you.
嗯……
Um…
所以,没有电脑?
So, there are no computers?
我们选择不使用电脑。
We choose not to use computers.
我看过他们的行动。
I’ve seen them in action.
他们只是为每个人创造更多的工作,浪费时间。
They just make more work for everyone, wasting time.
好吧。
All right.
如您所见,我们有一个轻松、亲切的环境。
As you can see, we have a relaxed, cordial environment.
我们要求你不要穿工装裤,运动鞋,
We ask that you don’t wear dungarees, sneakers,
T恤,运动衫,尤其是带兜帽的那种。
T-shirts, sweatshirts, especially the kind with hoods.
没有穿露脚的鞋子,
No open-toed shoes,
但如果你是女人,穿裤子是完全没问题的,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!