You need to get that right.
是开着的吗?
Is it on?
哦,不。
Uh, no.
如你所知,我相信电脑可以工作
As you know, I believe that computers make work
而不是依赖它,
rather than alleviate it,
但我同意在办公室装一个,
but I agreed to install one in the office,
以试验为基础,因为……
on a trial basis, because…
它是一款优雅的黑色。
It came in an elegant black.
因为休发现人们……
Because Hugh discovered that people…
我不知道这些人是谁
I don’t know who these people are
或者为什么他们没有更重要的东西
or why they don’t have more important things
与他们的生活有关……
to do with their lives…
但人们一直在出版整个塞林格的故事
but people have been publishing whole Salinger stories
在他们个人的网上。
on their personal e-webs.
网络日志
Web logs.
网络日志荒谬!
Web logs… Ridiculous!
这是公然侵犯版权,
This is blatant copyright infringement,
我们还得搜遍万维网
and we’re going to have to scour the World Wide Web
结束这一切。
to put an end to it.
这就是计算机的全部用途。
And that is all the computer is to be used for.
抱歉打扰了。只是经过。
Sorry to interrupt. Just passing through.
我不想小题大做。
Don’t mean to cause a fuss.
我们现在可以把它关掉了。
We can turn it off now.
—已经关机了。—很好。
– Uh, it’s already off. – OK, good.
还有上面的小外套。
And maybe the little coat that goes over it.
我在照片上看到过。谢谢你,马克斯。
I’ve seen it in pictures. Thank you, Max.
恐怕我们没有……
I’m afraid we don’t have a…
我们有好几百人,也许几千人,都是女孩,
There were hundreds of us, thousands maybe, all girls,
在文学代理机构或出版社工作。
working at literary agencies or publishing houses.
我们为老板接电♥话♥,
We answered calls for our bosses,
迎来了编剧们,给他们接了水
ushered in the writers, fetched them water…
从不掩饰我们自己想成为作家的事实
never belying the fact that we wanted to be writers ourselves.
我们窃窃私语着一些幸运儿,
We whispered about the lucky ones,
那些被老板信任的人,
the ones who were mentored by their bosses,
谁被允许接受书籍或客户,
who were allowed to take on books or clients,
可以不墨守成规的人……
the ones who broke the rules to show initiative…
那些可以很可恶的家伙
…the ones who wanted it badly enough.
请找两份副本,
Please find two copies
与圣马丁出版公♥司♥的合同。
of the contract with St. Martin publishing.
让我们面对现实。我就是个小秘书。
Let’s face it. I was a secretary.
喂?
Hello?
你好?喂?
Hello? Hello?
喂?
Hello?
这是杰里。
Speaking to? It’s Jerry.
你好,塞林格先生!
Hello, Mr. Salinger!
你是谁?
Who is this?
这是乔安娜。
This is Joanna.
谁?
Who?
我……我是乔安娜。
I… I’m Joanna.
我……我是玛格丽特的新助理。
I’m… I’m Margaret’s new assistant.
哦,玛格丽特的新助理
Oh, Margaret’s new assistant!
很高兴认识你,苏珊娜。
Nice to meet you, Suzanna.
你喜欢你的工作吗?
How do you like your job?
我爱它!
I love it!
很高兴听到。我打电♥话♥来找你们的老板
Good to hear. I’m calling to speak to your boss.
很不幸,她现在不在。
Unfortunately, she’s not in right now.
需要给她留言吗?
Um, can I leave her a message?
哦不用,我会再打来的。
Oh, no, I’ll call back.
好吧,我相信你有很多的工作。
Well, I’m sure you have a lot of work.
你人真好,苏珊娜。
It was very nice talking to you, Suzanna.
我期待与你见面。
I’m looking forward to meeting you in person.
我也是。
You too.
祝你有美好的一天!
Have a great day!
再见!
Goodbye!
我从来不会说:“祝你有美好的一天。”
I never say: “Have a great day.”
杰里?
Jerry?
他是聋子。战争期间的爆♥炸♥。
He’s deaf. An explosion during the war.
她刚刚离开吗?
She just left?
是的。
Yes.
最好去告诉她。
Better go tell her.
快一点。
Quicker.
玛格丽特!
Margaret!
对不起!对不起,打扰你了。
Sorry! I’m sorry to disturb you.
你刚接到一个电♥话♥……
You just got a call from…
你的客户刚打电♥话♥来。
Your client just called.
我想知道是哪一个!
I wonder which one!
我得接个电♥话♥。
I have to take this.
去吧,老板。我在餐馆等你。
Go ahead, Books. I’ll wait for you at the restaurant.
你做得对。
You did the right thing.
塞林格想要出版一本书。
Salinger wants to publish a book.
媒体会疯掉的
The press is gonna go nuts.
没有新闻。不能让人知道。
No press. No one must know.
这是我们的工作。
That’s our job.
所以这是真的。他还在写作。
So it’s true. He’s been writing.
嗯,不,这是一个古老的故事,哈普沃斯
Well, no, it’s an old story, Hapworth.
出版商克利福德·布拉德伯里
A publisher, Clifford Bradbury,
找到他,想把它单独出版。
approached him to publish it as a stand-alone book.
这件事他已经想了8年了。
He has been thinking about it for 8 years.
88年出版商给他写过信。
The publisher wrote to him back in ’88.
杰瑞喜欢用打字机写字。
Jerry liked the fact that he wrote on a typewriter.
他怎么知道杰瑞的地址的?
How did he get Jerry’s address?
他把它寄给了J.D.塞林格
He addressed it to J.D. Salinger,
新罕布♥什♥尔州康沃尔。
Cornish, New Hampshire.
邮递员发送它!
Postman delivered it!
这是辉煌的。
That’s brilliant.
等等,等等,玛格丽特。
Wait, wait, wait, Margaret.
这是什么样的出版商?
What kind of publisher is this?
不可能是小的,布朗的或者任何大机构。
It can’t be Little, Brown or any major house.
他们会直接打电♥话♥给你的。
They would have just called you.
哦,男孩!你会喜欢的,麦克斯。
Oh boy! You’re gonna love this, Max.
这是弗吉尼亚州的一家小出版社。
It is a tiny press in Virginia.
一个人的生意,梅里戈尔德出版社。
Kind of a one-man operation: Merrygold Press.
Merrybells新闻?
Merrybells Press?
是的,就是这样。你知道他们吗?
Yes, that’s it. You know them?
他们出版诗歌♥,我不喜欢他们的诗人。
They publish poetry, and I like few of their poets.
你♥他♥妈♥在开玩笑吧?
Are you fucking kidding me?
一个个人出版社要出版了
A one-man press is going to publish
塞林格的第一本书
the first book from Salinger
在30年后?
in 3 decades?
这太不可思议了。
That’s fucked.
出版塞林格的作品是完全不一样的
Publishing Salinger is different
相较与出版那些诗集。
than publishing poetry.
谢谢你!
Thank you.
显然,我们必须小心行事。
Obviously, we have to proceed carefully.
尽我们所能找出关于克利福德·布拉德伯里的一切。
Find out everything we can about this Clifford Bradbury.
我会打电♥话♥给他。
I’ll call him.
我就不提塞林格了
I won’t mention Salinger,
我要他的产品目录和样品存档。
and I’ll ask for his catalogue and a sample for our records.
好想法。
Good thinking.
休,请帮我拿《纽约客》的合同。
Hugh, get me the contract with The New Yorker, please.
哈普华兹是什么?
What’s Hapworth?
它于1965年发表在《纽约客》上。
It was published in The New Yorker in ’65.
几乎占据了整个杂♥志♥。
Took up almost the whole magazine.
—让我看看。—那时候很常见。
– Let me see. – Pretty common in those days.
《时尚先生》上的,还有《 时尚杂♥志♥》。
Esquire did it, Cosmo.
这就是我的起点。为杂♥志♥买♥♥故事。
That’s where I got my start. Buying stories for a magazine.
时尚杂♥志♥ ?
For Cosmo?
花♥花♥公♥子♥。
For Playboy.
你是怎么在《花♥花♥公♥子♥》工作的
How did you end up working for Playboy?
闲谈够了,乔安娜。重返工作岗位。
Enough chit-chat, Joanna. Back to work.
你好!你是克利福德·布拉德伯里吗?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!