我希望就是关注这些
I want a show developed based on
恐怖团伙活动的一档栏目
the activities of a terrorist group.
“约瑟夫·斯大林 和他的布尔什维克随从”
Joseph Stalin and his merry band of Bolsheviks.
我想听听你们的意见 说句话啊 你们可是拿薪水的
I want ideas from you people. That is what you’re paid for.
还有 下一次我发观众调查报告的时候
And, by the way, the next time I send an audience research report around
你们最好都抓紧时间看 否则小心被炒鱿鱼
you’d all better read it, or I’ll sack the fucking lot of you,
都明白我的意思了吧
is that clear?
我过四个礼拜去西海岸
I’ll be out on the coast in, uh, four weeks.
-你能不能安排我跟劳伦·霍布斯见一次面 -好的
-Will you set up a meeting with Laureen Hobbs? -Sure.
经营之道在于管理
But the business of management is management.
美国通讯公♥司♥掌管联合广播公♥司♥电视网之时
And at the time CCA took control of the UBS TV Network
这个电视公♥司♥只占全国电视收入的不到7%
it was foundering with less than 7 percent of national television revenues
大多数节目的收视率都很低
most network programs being sold at station rates.
我很高兴在这里告诉大家
I am pleased to announce
我即将向董事会提交一份计划书
I am submitting to the board of directors
主要关于盈利中心的调和运作
a plan for the coordination of the main profit centers.
以及如何把各个部门变得
And with the specific intention of making each division
对管理层更加负责
more responsive to management.
第一
Point one.
一直以来收益率最低的部门是新闻部
The division producing the lowest rate of return has been the news division
每年9800万的预算 平均亏空是3200万
with its $98 million budget and its average annual deficit of 32 million.
我知道 新闻部亏本是有年头的了
I know that, historically, news divisions are expected to lose money.
可在我们看来 这种说法是不负责任的财政侮辱
But to our minds, this philosophy is a wanton fiscal affront
应该予以坚决抵♥制♥
to be resolutely resisted.
新计划将要把国内新闻转到自有电台部
The new plan calls for local news to be transferred to owned stations’ divisions.
把新闻广播转到联合广播公♥司♥广播部
News radio would be transferred to the UBS Radio Division and in effect
新闻部将由一个独♥立♥的部被缩减为
the news division would be reduced from an independent division
由公♥司♥直接领导的一个小部门
to a department accountable to network.
刚才说那些到底是什么意思 埃德
What was that all about, Ed?
现在不是说这个的时候
This is not the time, Max.
为什么你之前没跟我说过
Why wasn’t I told about this?
为什么让我坐在台上
Why was I led up onto that podium
在股东们面前丢脸
and publicly humiliated in front of the stockholders?
该死 我今天早晨跟约翰·惠勒说起改革
Goddamn it, I spoke to John Wheeler this morning
他还保证说不会动新闻部一根汗毛
and he assured me the news division was safe.
如果你想这样让我辞职 这招也未免太烂了
That’s one hell of a way to get me to resign.
我们明天早晨的例会再讨论这个
We’ll talk about this tomorrow at our regular morning meeting.
Eleven
滚动VTA
Roll VTA.
10 9 8 7 6
Ten, nine, eight, seven, six.
5 4 3 2
In five, four, three, two.
-1 -一号♥VTA
-One. -One,cue VTA.
提示播音员
Cue announcer.
今晚的联合广播公♥司♥《晚间新闻》
The UBS evening news
由霍华德·比厄为您主持
with Howard Beale.
二号♥机准备
Ready, two?
二号♥ 提示霍华德
Two, cue Howard.
晚上好 今天是9月24日 星期三
Good evening. Today is Wednesday, September the 24th
是我最后一次播音
and this is my last broadcast.
昨天我在节目中报知
Yesterday I announced on this program
我将会在公众面前自杀 无可否认是十分不理智的举动
that I was going to commit public suicide. Admittedly an act of madness.
告诉大家为什么我这么说
Well, I’ll tell you what happened.
因为我的狗屎般的废话都说尽了
I just ran out of bullshit.
-让他下来 -让他继续说
-All right, cut him off. -Leave him on.
我还在直播吧
Am I still on the air?
如果这就是为什么他要走 就让他说完
If this is how he wants to go out, this is how he goes out.
我已经没有狗屎一般的废话可以与大家分享了
except I just ran out of bullshit.
舒马赫先生在 你要不要和他说两句
Mr. Schumacher’s right here. Wanna talk to him?
我们生活的全部意义就是造粪
Bullshit is all the reasons we give for living.
除非你还能想出你自己的理由
If we can’t think up any reasons of our own,
我们还总是遇到上帝办的狗屎事
we have the God bullshit.
-我们不知道为什么我们要听 -怎么了
-Holy Mary, Mother of Christ. -Tom, what is it?
没意义的痛苦屈辱和腐朽
through all this pointless pain, humiliation and decay
最好某个地方某人能真的懂
so there better be someone who does know.
这些就是上帝办的狗屎事
That’s the God bullshit.
他说生活就是狗屎 很对啊
He’s saying that life is bullshit and it is.
你大呼小叫什么
What are you screaming about?
人是可以自己创造世界的高等生物
Man is a noble creature that can order his own world.
谁还需要上帝
Who needs God?
如果有人能看了一圈
If there’s anybody out there that can look around
我们生活着的这个疯狂世界之后
this slaughterhouse of a world we live in
还告诉我们说人是高等生物的话
and tell me that man is a noble creature
相信我 这人就是满脑子狗屎
believe me, that man is full of bullshit
这他妈有什么好笑的
.What’s so goddamn funny?
我就是忍♥不住 真的很好笑
I can’t help it, Harry. It’s funny.
这个对67个子公♥司♥都是直播的
Max, this is going out live to 67 affiliates.
让他说下去
Leave him on.
我结婚33年 成了现在这个只会尖叫做秀的骗子
And I was married for 33 years of shrill, shrieking fraud.
-哈克特先生正在找您 -告诉他让他去死吧
-Mr. Hackett’s trying to get through to you. -Tell Mr. Hackett to go fuck himself.
所以 就到这吧 我已经没什么狗屎话可说了
So I don’t have any bullshit left.
我已经说完了 你们都看到了
I just ran out of it, you see.
卢迪先生 您能说两句吗
Mr. Ruddy, could we have just one statement from you?
对不起 无可奉告
Sorry, I don’t have all the information yet.
我们就想知道有关比厄先生的
One question.Could we…? If we could just have one statement about Mr. Beale.
麦克斯
Max?
这个结束以后我想见比厄先生
I’ll want to see Mr. Beale after this.
从我听的看来 你基本上对那个
The way I hear it, Max, you were primarily responsible
巨愚蠢的错误是很负责任的
for this colossally stupid prank.
-我说的没错吧 -没错
-Is that the fact, Max? -That’s the fact.
这有点过分
It was unconscionable.
没什么好说的了
There doesn’t seem to be anything more to say.
我还有话要说
I have something to say, Ed.
我想知道为什么今天下午向全董事会
I want to know why that whole debasement of the news division
宣布的新闻部降级的消息之前一直对我保密
announced at the stockholders’ meeting this afternoon was kept secret from me.
想想过去20年
You and I go back 20 years, Ed.
我接受这份工作是因为你说
I took this job with your personal assurance
无论发生任何利益侵害 你都会保证我的自主♥权♥
that you’d back my autonomy against any encroachment.
可自从十个月前美国通讯公♥司♥
But ever since CCA acquired control of
接手联合广播公♥司♥以来
UBS Systems 10 months ago
哈克特已经把所有的东西都拿走了
Hackett’s been taking over everything.
到底这个公♥司♥谁管事儿
Now who the hell is running this network?
你还是那个叫什么美国通讯公♥司♥的混球
You or some conglomerate called CCA?
你才是这个体系的头儿啊
I mean you’re president of the Systems Group
哈克特什么也不是 他就是个美国通讯公♥司♥的狗
and Hackett’s nothing but a hatchet man for CCA.
尼尔森也在这儿 他是公♥司♥的总裁
Nelson here, president of a network
他都连说话的份儿都没了
and he hasn’t a thing to say about anything anymore.
开董事会的时候我告诉过你
I told you at the stockholders’ meeting, Max
我们明天早晨例会的时候再说这个
that we would discuss all that at our regular meeting tomorrow morning.
如果你那会儿冷静点的话 我就会解释给你听
If you had been patient, I would’ve explained that
我也认为弗兰克·哈克特太草率了
I thought Frank Hackett precipitate
在和每个人 特别是你 麦克斯
and that the reorganization of the division
商量过 并使你们满意之前
would not be executed until everyone, specifically you, Max
新闻部的重组是不应该执行的
had been consulted and satisfied.
可是 你那会儿像个孩子一样暴跳如雷
Instead, you sulked off like a child and engaged this network
把公♥司♥陷入这样的难堪境地
in a shocking and disgraceful episode.
不管管理层怎么调整
Your position is no longer tenable
你的位置已经坐不住了
regardless of how management is restructured.
明天早晨 我等着你的辞职信
I will expect your resignation at 10:00 tomorrow morning
我们可以使我们的做法 尽可能的对每个人伤害最小
and we will coordinate our statements to the least detriment of everyone.
等我们把所有一切都收拾好之后
Bob McDonough will take over the news division
鲍勃·麦克唐纳将会接管新闻部
until we can sort all this out.
我现在想见一下比厄
I’d like to see Mr. Beale now.
他们在找他 可是不知道他在那里
They’re looking for him, Ed. They don’t know where he is.
15年来 一周五天我每天
Every day, five days a week for 15 years,
都坐在那张桌子后面
I’ve been sitting behind that desk.
扮演一个不动感情的空谈家的角色
The dispassionate pundit
用合适的不偏不依的态度报道
reporting with seemly detachment the daily parade
每天那些蠢事的集♥合♥ 谓之新闻
of lunacies that constitute the news.
只有一次 我想说我真正想说的
And just once I wanted to say what I really felt.
停下来
Knock it off, Arthur.
可却是 我最后一次

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!