巴诺克博士在吗 不 他不在
-ls Dr. Blalock in? -No, he’s not.
我不知道 去他办公室看看吧
I don’t know where he is. You should check his office.
有趣的操作啊 从未见过这种钳子
That’s an interesting procedure. Never seen a clamp like that before.
专门用来做细血管手术用的 你哪里弄来的
-lt is for small vascular work. -Where’d you get it?
四处找些东西自己做 的
I pieced it together from some things lying around.
好 触到了
Now we’re getting somewhere.
你都没看着
You’re not even looking.
就像深夜回到自己家里一样
It’s like when you come home late at night, you know?
在黑暗中你也熟悉家里的房♥间
You know the feel of the room in the dark.
简直就是奇迹
That looks impossible.
不 如果我能 你也能
No, if I can do it, you can do it.
你看 这里一行线……
You see, this string here…
可以用来缝合刀口
that’s how you get traction on the suture…
要缝合的话就得有足够的空间
’cause you need a lot of exposure for the anastomosis.
我希望什么时候能与你共事
I’d like to work with you sometime.
那很好 隆美尔博士 很好
Fine, Dr. Longmire, that’d be fine.
我10分钟后就要去急诊室值班
My emergency rotation starts in 10 minutes,
但我周四可以过来
but I can come in on Thursday.
很好 祝你愉快 博士
That’d be fine. You have a good day, Doctor.
你怎么来了 我来这附近办事
-What are you doing here? -I was in the neighborhood.
最高法♥院♥最终开庭
Supreme Court, finally made it.
很久了 你为这个案子斗了9年
A long time. You been working on this case for what, nine years?
不 12年 12年
-No, 1 2 years. -1 2 years?
时间
Time.
跟我讲讲案子的情况
So, tell me, what was it like?
9个白佬穿着长袍首先进来
Nine white guys in big gowns walked in first.
然后是校董会的律师
Then the school board lawyers.
瑟古德 马歇尔 我们的律师 看起来有些势孤力单
Our lawyer, Thurgood Marshall, he looked kind of lonely in there.
你知道那开场白是怎样的吗
You know what them people said in their brief?
既然纳什维尔的有色人种教师花销不多
Said since colored teachers in Nashville live so cheaply…
那么他们的工资也应远比白佬教师低
they should pay us a whole lot less than white teachers.
但听我说
But let me tell you…
瑟古德 说如果是这样那就见鬼去吧
Thurgood said he’d be goddamned if they could get away with that.
于是他站起来对那白佬律师说 “你够了吧…
So he gets up and says to that white lawyer, “You’re full of it.
“没读过宪法吗
“Have you ever read the Constitution?
“第14修正案 平权保护♥法♥说
“The damned 14th Amendment. The equal protection clause says:
“政♥府♥不应有基于种族的歧视待遇”
“‘A government can’t discriminate based on race.”‘
嗯 我是说他可真棒
Yes, Lord. I mean he was good, Viv.
我想我们已经让校董会坐立不安了
I think we got the Board of Education on the run.
好消息 哈罗德 他们何时判决
That’s good news, Harold. So when will they decide?
也许几个月 也许更久
Could be months, longer.
我不清楚 但我能等 既然已经等了这么多年
I don’t know, but I can wait. After all these years.
那些漫漫长夜里我接到的那些白佬的电♥话♥
All those calls I got in the middle of the night.
恐吓如果不放弃这场官司就要弄死我
White folk telling me they gonna kill me if I don’t drop this lawsuit.
不 你得让他们好好瞧瞧
No, you gotta show them you won’t take that treatment.
听我说 你得离开这个鬼地方
Wait. Listen to me when I tell you, you need to leave this sorry-ass place…
和那份该死的工作
and that dead-end job.
哈罗德 巴诺克博士已经为我尽力而为了
Harold, Dr. Blalock’s doing the best he can for me.
这还不够
It’s not enough.
他把那些实验全托付给我
He trusts me to carry out those experiments on my own.
我现在主持着 整个实验室
I’m running the whole lab.
谢谢 但他给你什么额外的报酬了吗
-Thank you. -But does he compensate you extra for that?
哈罗德 维维安正做着重要的研究
Now, Harold, Vivien’s doing important research now.
但他忘了爷爷说过什么
But he’s forgetting what Granddaddy told us.
他说他最遗憾的是 他对能有自♥由♥如此感激
He said he regretted acting so grateful for being free…
而那却绝非真正的自♥由♥
for what really wasn’t any freedom at all.
我知道 我还记得
I know, I remember.
你为什么多给了他 我怎么没有
What you giving him extra for? What’s wrong with me?
不关你的事
Nothing minding your own business wouldn’t cure.
穿着白大褂
You got that white coat.
你还是和我一样
But you’re just a class three worker, same as me.
也是个三等工
But you’re just a class three worker, same as me.
实际上 我资历还比你老两年
In fact, I got two years’ seniority on you.
我比你挣得还多
I’m making more than you.
不要以为你是什么这里的大人物
Don’t think you’re some kind of big shot around here.
抱歉 老兄 三等工 什么意思
Excuse me, buddy. Class three, what does that mean?
工资等级
It means salary grade.
嗯 那这里 这又是什么意思
And, ma’am, and this here? What’s this?
岗位等级
Job classification.
三♥级♥是什么
What is class three?
维修工
Maintenance worker.
我是实验室技术员 这不可能
I’m a lab technician. That can’t be.
“维维安·托马斯”
“Vivien Thomas.”
好 看好了
Okay. Here we go.
“维维安·托马斯三等工”
“Vivien Thomas, class three.”
谢谢
Thank you.
情况如何 血管有些打结
-How’s it going? -The vessel’s tolerating ligation.
进展如何
Any progress?
如果你把狗弄死了 就从你工资里扣钱
If you kill that dog, I swear I will take it out of your paycheck.
那我就此打住
I’m finished up here.
隆美尔博士 你能帮我 来缝合刀口吗
Dr. Longmire, would you mind closing up for me? Thank you.
摆脱 维维安
Come on, Vivien.
我是说着玩的
I was kidding about taking it out of your paycheck.
很超值吧 我每天做16个小时的工
Good luck. ‘Cause I only make $16 a week.
只是拿16美元的周薪 他们能付的也只有这么多
-For a 16-hour day. -That’s all they can pay.
他们能为三等工付的只有这么多了
That’s all they can pay class three workers around here.
你在说什么
What are you talking about?
那就是我的岗位等级
That’s my job classification.
你管他们给你定几等呢
Who cares what they call you?
你我都知道你从事工作的价值
You and I both know how valuable the work is that you do.
如果它有价值 那为何我是个三等工
If my work is so important, then why am I class three?
比我做的事情从岗位和薪水上低两级
Two grades below what I do. In classification and pay.
我不知何故 我没注意细节的行政问题
I don’t know why. I don’t pay attention to bureaucratic details.
我明白
I see.
在霍普金斯医学院 没有大学学位你做不了技师
Look, at Hopkins you can’t be a technician without a college degree.
你要去哪 我要去修台阶
-And where are you going? -I need to fix some steps.
我们有事情要干
We have work to do.
能让我去给房♥东打打杂
Do I have your permission to do some work for my landlord…
好让我付我的房♥租
so I can pay my rent?
巴诺克博士 请来一下
Dr. Blalock, could you come here, please?
难以置信
You’re not gonna believe this.
看看血氧计
Look at the oximeter.
嘴巴变蓝了 维维安做到了
The gums are blue, Doctor. Vivien did it.
下来 阿尔费雷德
Off, Alfred.
我把他带到这里…
I brought him up here…
我给他机会
I gave him this opportunity.
又不是我定的薪水标准 我不知道我还能怎么办
I don’t set the pay scale. I just don’t see what more I can do.
你可能感觉内疚吧
You’re probably feeling guilty.
内疚 我有必要感到内疚吗
Guilty? What the hell do I have to feel guilty about?
没送他去大学
For not sending him to college.
你觉得我早应送他去读大学吗
You think I should have sent Vivien to college?
为何不 你说过那是他的梦想
Sure, why not? Told me that was his dream.
从前你跟我说过 我的实验室需要他
-Even mentioned it to me once. -You know I need him in the lab.
我想还有很多人也可以做得很好吧
I guess there’s only so much good one person can do.
祝贺你的狗
Congratulations on the dog.
你提议的加薪 这有多重要
The kind of raise you’re suggesting, how important is this?
过去很多时候他都帮了我大忙
He makes it possible for me to be in many places at the same time.
为何不找一个 受过良好训练的大学生
Can’t you just hire a well-trained college kid–
不行 他的手艺对我颇为重要
No, I can’t. His hands are important to me.
他能很好执行我的指示
He’s good at following my instructions, improving on them…
比我碰到的任何其他人都好
better than anyone I’ve encountered.
就因为一个黑人助手
You want me to circumvent every administrative regulation
你就要我改变规章
on behalf of a colored helper?
沃尔特 我就要有所突破了
Walter, I’m close to accomplishing something.
我需要他 才能继续我的研究
I need him with me so I can continue with my research.
能帮得上忙吗
Can I count on your help?
你好 克拉拉
Hello, Clara.
巴诺克博士
Dr. Blalock.
请进
Come in, sir.
谢谢
Thank you.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!