巴诺克博士
Dr. Alfred Blalock.
谢谢 确实不胜荣幸
Thank you. I am indeed honored.
非常感谢
And while I am grateful…
生命中我所获得的许多赠予
for the many gifts that have been given to me in my life…
也许最好的赠予是这一年来
perhaps the greatest gift has been the support…
我同事们的支持
of my colleagues over this last year.
我的好朋友沃尔特 丹蒂
My good friend, Walter Dandy.
在手术中辅助我的 出色的 优秀的同事…
The wonderful, brilliant colleagues who assisted me in our operation;
海伦·陶西格博士…
Dr. Helen Taussig…
威廉 隆美尔博士…
Dr. William Longmire…
登顿 库尼博士…
Dr. Denton Cooley…
麦尔 哈梅尔 博士
Dr. Mel Harmel.
我认为…
I believe…
如果没有共同进取的精神
one group of people could not have accomplished…
和统一 坚实的共同努力
so much in so little time without a strong, unified effort…
这么少的人手和这么短的时间
in the spirit of breaking new ground…
是不会有如此成果的
together.
要将医学发扬光大 那么
To further the reach of medicine is one that should be cherished…
就要珍爱生命永远不让她湮灭
and never allowed to die.
这是什么
What the hell is this?
我需要换些事情做
I need to do something different.
你的工作怎么办
What about our work?
你感谢辞里的那些人会帮你的
You got all of those other people you were thanking.
你在说什么
What are you talking about?
观景楼酒店
Belvedere Hotel.
观景楼被封闭了 你去那儿了
The Belvedere is segregated. You were there?
装做个侍者溜进去的
Snuck in, just like a bellhop.
肉食者谋之 事实就是这样
Is that what this is about, hobnobbing with the powers that be?
维维安 他们永远不会让你进入他们的阶层
Vivien, they will never let you into their club.
多想于事无补 你不能好好听着吗
It is naive to think otherwise. Will you stand still?
我指的不是他们 我指的是霍普金斯
I’m not talking about them. I’m not talking about Hopkins.
我指的是你
I’m talking about you.

Me?
我做过什么 只是没有站在你们那边
What have I ever done except fight in your corner?
一路走来我都带着你
I have taken you every step of the way with me…
现在你毫不吝惜这些 为了什么
and now you want to throw all that away? For what?
这就是你感恩的方式
Is that any way to show your gratitude?
我不知道 你说呢 博士
I don’t know. You tell me, Doctor.
维维安 你要以此为傲
Vivien, take pride in the fact you have power in your mind…
有股魔力存在于你的思想与心灵中
and in your heart.
我的手中 确实 也存在于你手中
-And in my hands. -Exactly, in your hands.
我们共同创造了历史
We made history together.
我们改变了世界
We changed the world.
世界
The world.
世界对我熟视无睹
I’m invisible to the world.
我不介意这个 我理解这点
I don’t mind that. I understand that.
我本以为这里不是如此
I thought it was different in here.
托马斯先生 我有些不明白
Mr. Thomas, I’m a little confused.
你没上过课 却想从摩根学院
Now you want college credit for Morgan State…
要一些大学学分
without actually taking classes?
嗯 只是某些课程
In certain courses, yes.
我会参加考试 期末考试
I’ll take the test. I’ll take finals…
化学 生物化学 自然科学 物理学考试
Chemistry, Biochemistry, Science, Physics.
这样 为我已经掌握的知识 我可以拿到学分
Also, I can get the credit for material I already know.
我需要更快一些从大学结业
I need to get through college a little more quickly…
以便能够去上医学院
so I can get on to med school.
你真的参与过
And so you actually participated…
这些突破性的研究 托马斯先生
in all this groundbreaking research, Mr. Thomas?
是的
Yes, I did.
但恐怕规则不允许象那样
I’m afraid it just doesn’t work like that.
你得从一年级英语开始上
You’ll have to start with Freshman English.
也许还有社会科学
Social Science, maybe.
我没有时间
I don’t have time for that.
我已35岁了
I’m 35 years old.
你是说我得从最基础上起吗
You’re saying that I have to start at the beginning?
是的 托马斯先生 恐怕我确是这样说的
Yes, Mr. Thomas. I’m afraid that is in fact what I’m saying.
我本以为这所学校为有色人种提供 些机会的
I thought this institution provided opportunity for colored people?
小伙子 我有妻子和两个女儿
I have a wife, two young daughters, son.
在这个领域我工作了差不多有15年…
And I’ve been working in my field for over….
我来自纳什维尔 我…
Almost 15 years now. I’m from Nashville, I came….
有什么可以帮助的吗
And what can I do for you?
我叫维维安·托马斯 我供职于拉尔夫 温特汉姆公♥司♥
My name is Vivien Thomas. I work for the Ralph Wintham company.
我们生产一系列药品 特别是抗酸剂
We have a line of pharmaceuticals, particularly antacids.
我们已经有了抗酸剂供应商
We already have a supplier of antacids.
是 这些抗酸剂能缓解倒胃却没有副作用
Yes, well, these antacids block against gastroesophageal reflux…
维维安·托马斯
-without any adverse side effect—Vivien Thomas.
参加过”蓝色婴儿”手术的那位
The fellow with the blue babies?
在医院工作过的一位病人提起过你
A patient of mine who works at the hospital told me about you.
因为你为他们工作霍普金斯医学院才 会这么出色
Hopkins is doing well because of what you did for them…
而你却在干这个
and here you are.
我和医学院没什么芥蒂
I don’t have anything against the hospital.
我只是以别的方式 从医
I’m just working in medicine in a different way now.
看看你还有什么产品
Let’s see what other lines you have.
是的 这里还有泡腾粉
Yes, we have effervescent powder here….
威廉 看看谁来了
Oh, William, look who’s here?
哈罗 给奶奶问好
-Hello. -Say hi to Grandma.
老天
My goodness.
还好吧 看看他
How you doing, sweetheart? Look at him.
别跑 去洗手
Stop running. Go up and wash your hands.
叫你妹妹下楼
And you bring your little sister down.
小心台阶
And be careful on them steps.
建房♥生意如何
What about construction?
我老是说 托马斯 托马斯
I keep asking him. “Thomas and Thomas.”
房♥产生意蒸蒸日上 我们会发大财
With the building boom, we could clean up.
现在可好 这些活儿一钱不值
Now, he know I can’t saw a plank worth a damn.
没错 是这样 嗯
-Yeah, that’s the truth. -Yeah, Dad.
确实现在的生意门可罗雀了
I did see that mailbox leaning to the side a little bit.
我不明白你为何 放弃了一线教学工作
I don’t understand why you quit teaching in the first place.
克拉拉 我从未真的那么喜欢讲台的
I never really liked the classroom that much, Clara.
孩子们太多了
Too many kids.
但你斗争了那么多年 也赢了案子 却…
But you fought all those years, and you won the case, so–
没错
Exactly.
现在不干了意味着你浪费了 老长一段时间
And quitting now means you’ve just wasted a whole lot of time.
不 我觉得这不是浪费时间
-No—I don’t think it’s a waste of time.
如果没有哈罗德的努力
If Harold wasn’t down there doing what he was doing…
那么现在仍会有许多黑人教师 不明就里
there’d still be a lot of colored teachers down there getting cheated.
我觉得应该以他命名一所学校
I think they ought to name a school after him.
对 哈罗德 托马斯高中
Yeah. Harold Thomas High.
哈罗德 托马斯高中 说得对
-Harold Thomas High. -Hear, hear.
这些年轻老师大部分人
No, most of these young teachers,
压根就不知道那次罢♥工♥
they don’t know anything about that strike.
他们觉得他们同工 同酬的待遇是理所当然的
They take their equal paycheck for granted.
哈罗德 你怨气重重
Harold, you’re full of excuses.
不是要等到全世界都来谢你吧
There’s no point in waiting for the world to thank you.
你也不再去教书了
That bus ain’t never going to come.
对 我不是为的这个 爸爸
-Amen to that. -I’m not waiting, Pop.
我只是想找些事情能让我兴奋起来
I’m just looking for something that excites me as much as…
就像你沉溺于钉钉子那样
hammering nails pleases you.
维维安 杰帕蒂来了
Viv, Jeopardy is on.
我马上进来
I’ll be in in a minute.
你还好吗
You okay?
还好
I’m fine.
胃有点难受 但没事
Stomach’s bothering me a little bit, but I’m fine.
为何不吃点你老是 自卖♥♥自夸的抗酸片
Why don’t you take those fancy antacid pills that you always brag about?
在想你哥哥的事情吗
It’s your brother?
我牵挂他 我牵挂老哈罗德
I miss him. I miss the old Harold.
似乎有些怅然若失
Seems a little lost now.
我牵挂他
I miss you.
我还在想那个实验室
Still got my mind in that lab.
不只是想 你的心也属于那里
It’s not just your mind, Viv. It’s your heart, too.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!