去看我的母亲 – Where have you been? – Seeing my mother.
她好吗?
How is she?
还是老样子,她现在不记得我了
The same. She doesn’t remember me now.
不觉得奇怪,你不常去看她
Well, I’m not surprised. She doesn’t see you very often.
你会写我的故事吗?
Will you write about me?
我不知道
I don’t know.
她从没说起过这个
She never said this.
怎么了?
So?
我在广播上听到你了
I’ve heard you. On the wireless.
她知道吗?
Does she know that?
她都神志不清怎么会知道
Well, how can she? She doesn’t know who she is.
对,你就这样利用你母亲
Yeah, that’s what you think. Using your mother.
你应该感到愧疚
You should be ashamed of yourself.
她没这么说
She didn’t say this.
是没有,她应该说
No. But why shouldn’t she?
你总是在写她的故事
You write about her all the time, one way or another.
你利用你的母亲
You use your mother.
这是作家的工作
That’s what writers do.
下一个或许就是我了
Me next, I suppose.
既然你在这,我需要买♥♥些东西
Anyway, now you’re here, I need some shopping done.
你该自己去,多走走
You ought to go yourself. You should try and walk more.
我当然会走了
我没见过 – I do walk. – I never see you.
那是因为你半夜都不在家
Well, that’s ’cause you’re not around in the middle of the night.
我要买♥♥电池
I want some batteries.
还有柠檬果子露
And some sherbet lemons.
巴尼特先生
什么? – Mr Bennett? – Yes?
你愿意推我上街吗?
Would you like to push me up the street?
不大愿意
Not particularly, no.
好啦,转过去
This’ll do. Turn me ’round. Turn me ’round!
好吧
All right.
小心
Careful!
你还好吗?
Are you all right?
我没事
Yes, I think so.
要不要我给你冲杯咖啡?
Would you like me to make you a cup of coffee?
不用了
No.
我不想麻烦你,我喝半杯就好
No, I don’t want you to go to all that trouble. I’ll just have half a cup.
我得去做弥撒了
I have to go to mass.
你身体又不好
拿着 – Well, you’re not fit. – Here.
今天是周年忌,我责无旁贷
It’s an anniversary and a day of obligation.
给谁,圣人吗?
Who for? A saint?
不是,一个年轻人
No. A young man.
曾经的爱人?
Someone you loved?
当然不是!是我…
No! Certainly not. Just someone I…
一个死去的人而已
Someone who died.
不然,他现在该有50多岁了
He’d be in his 50s now.
他是天主教♥徒♥吗?
Was he a Catholic?
或许吧,他在经受炼狱之苦,需要我的祈祷
Possibly, possibly. Only he’s in purgatory. He needs my prayers.
他叫什么名字?
What was his name?
我从不记名字
No, I never bother with names.
基♥督♥圣体
The body of Christ.
基♥督♥圣体
The body of Christ.
什么事
我就住在这条街上 – Yes? – I live down the street.
我见过你
I’ve seen you.
就是你家停了那辆货车
It’s you that has the van.
是的
Yes.
难对付的女人
Difficult woman.
她是天主教♥徒♥
A Catholic.
有一个修女记得她
One of the sisters remembers her.
听说她很爱争论,所以才被迫离开的吗?
I’ve been told she was very argumentative. Is that why she was made to leave?
她的确爱争辩
Disputatious, she was.
我们讨论过钢琴的问题
I’ve had her pointed out to me on that account, hankering after the piano.
她总认为自己是对的
She always thought she was right.
她不对,上帝是对的,就是这样
She wasn’t right. God is right. End of story.
你到底想知道什么?
Anyway, what do you want to know for?
她病了
谁?她吗? – She’s ill. – Who? The woman?
我想问有没有修女能陪她聊天,帮她买♥♥东西
I wondered if there was a nun available who could talk to her, do her some shopping.
修女不买♥♥东西
We don’t have shopping nuns.
我们秩序严格
It’s a strict order.
我见过修女买♥♥东西
I’ve seen them shopping.
昨天我在玛莎百货看见一个修女买♥♥蛋白糖饼
I saw one yesterday at Marks & Spencer. She was buying meringues.
主教可能要来了
The Bishop may have been coming.
他喜欢糖饼?
Well, does he like meringues?
你谁啊,跑来问我主教喜不喜欢欢吃糖饼?
Who are you, coming ’round, asking if the Bishop likes meringues?
你是共♥产♥党吗?
Are you a communist?
她是天主教♥徒♥,现在病了,很可能会死
She’s ill. She’s a Catholic, and I think she might be dying.
只要你把表格填了,修女们就可以为她祈祷
Well, they can pray for her, only you’ll have to fill in a form.
说不定你一转身,她就自己能穿袜子
She’ll probably pull her socks up once your back is turned.
这是我对病弱人士的经验
That’s been my experience where invalids are concerned.
这边出去
This way out!
我不想让你碰到修女们
I don’t want you bumping into the sisters.
她又往车道上扔了一坨
Another parcel on the pat.
我要是把这些写下来,人们会说我写的屎太多了
If… When I write about all this, people will say there’s too much about shit.
车道口真的有很多屎
But there was a lot about shit. Shit was in the forefront.
我不喜欢“关心”这个词
Caring, which is not a word I like,
关心就是一坨屎
caring is about shit.
我跟玛丽谈过了
或者玛格丽特 – I’ve talked to Mary. – Or Margaret.
玛格丽特
Or Margaret.
总之,谢帕德女士
Miss Shepherd, anyway.
她说你不鼓励她外出,过有意义的生活
She tells me you don’t encourage her to get out and lead a more purposeful life,
还从中作梗
and put obstacles in her way.
我是不鼓励她妄想自己能当首相
I don’t encourage her to think she can become prime minister.
我鼓励她自己去超♥市♥
I do encourage her to try and get to the supermarket.
是,看护人总是会觉得…
Yes. A carer will often feel that…
不好意思,打断一下,别叫我看护人,我不是看护人
Excuse me, may I stop you? Do not call me the carer. I am not the carer.
我讨厌照顾人,讨厌这种想法,讨厌这个词
I hate caring. I hate the thought. I hate the word.
我没照顾她,我不关心她,我在这,她在那,我俩没关系
I do not care, and I do not care for. I am here, she is there. There is no caring.
阿兰,你又不友好了
Alan, I’m sensing hostility again.
不管你是不是独自一人
You see, I’m wondering whether having cared for Mary,
照顾玛丽这么多年
as it were, singlehanded for all these years,
可当专业人员来提供帮助时,你不应该怨恨
you don’t understandably resent it when the professionals lend a hand.
没有,我讨厌的是
No, though I resent it
专业人员每隔三个月就来一次
when the professionals turn up every three months or so
试图告诉我,这个过去15年
and try to tell me what this woman,
我每天都在打交道的女人是怎样的人
whom I have coped with on a daily basis for the past 15 years, is like.
她是怎样的人?
What is she like?
你口中的玛丽是个偏执狭隘,狡诈记仇,爱找碴
Mary, as you call her, is a bigoted, blinkered, cantankerous, devious,
自私无礼,乱收破车,讨人厌的人
unforgiving, self-serving, rank, rude, car-mad cow.
更别提随处可见她的排泄物
Which is to say nothing of her flying faeces
从她那干瘪的屁♥股♥里挤出的粪便
and her ability to extrude from her withered buttocks
从货车后面喷的到处都是
turds of such force that they land a yard from the back of the van
好像我家车道就是公共厕所一样
and their presumed point of exit.
但你从来没说过这些
Though, of course, you didn’t say any of that.
人们以为是因为你太善良
People will think it’s because you’re too nice.
其实是因为你太怯懦
It’s actually because you’re too timid.
是的,不过这里是英格兰,羞怯不是坏事
Yes. Though this being England, timid is good, too.
你的话很有帮助
Well, this has been very helpful.
我会考虑给她请个医生
I’ll see about getting her a doctor.
是男医生吗?
Is it a man doctor?
是的
Yes.
我不要男医生,没有女的吗?
I don’t want a man doctor. Don’t they have a woman?
不好意思,谢帕德女士,我只需要给你把个脉
Sorry. Miss Shepherd, I only want to take your pulse.
哪只手?你有偏好吗?
没有 – Which hand? Do you have a preference? – No.
平时没这么脏的
It’s normally cleaner than that.
谢帕德女士,我带你去医院住一两天
Miss Shepherd, I’d like to take you to hospital for a day or so,
只是做些检查
just to run some tests.
不用,我很相信洋葱的
No, I’ve always had great faith in onions.
没错
Yes.
但从医学上讲,洋葱只能帮你到此
But onions can only take you so fas, medically speaking.
她不愿去医院
She won’t go to hospital.
你怎么知道?
你问她 – How do you know? – Ask her.
她愿意去日托中心吗?有人会照顾她

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!