This could easily mean that she could not return to the Congo.
这可能代表 她无法回到刚果
You have been given a truly great opportunity to make a sacrifice for God.
你有个很好的机会 可为天主做出牺牲
You asked what you might do?
你是否愿意?
Would you, Sister Luke…
路加修女,你是否
be able to fail your examination to show humility?
愿意让你的测验不过 好展现你谦卑的美德?
My Mother…
修女
I would be willing if the Mother House knows of this and approves.
如果总会院知道且许可的话 我就愿意
Then it would be a humility with hooks, as we say.
那就是我们所谓的 有附带条件的谦卑
A humility that takes something back for the sacrifice.
就是要换取某种代价的牺牲
In this case, the satisfaction of knowing that the Mother House knows.
以你这件事来说 就是想得到总会院的谅解
Courage needs witnesses. Yes.
英勇的行为需要观众 对
Real humility, on the other hand…passes unperceived between God and the soul.
但是,真正的谦卑 只有天主知道、自己知道
You have heard our phrase, “Do good and disappear.”
你听过我们常说的一句话 “为善不欲人知”吗?
How do we know when we are humble?
我们怎么知道何种行为是谦卑?
When we can accept a real humiliation.
能够接受真正的羞辱就是谦卑
Such as this failure.
比如说这种失败
How can I know God wants this from me?
我怎么知道 天主会希望我这么做呢?
Go and ask Him.
去问他
But remember, you are weighing an opportunity
别忘了,你的机会
that may never come again.
是有可能一去不回的
Out of His eternal time…
他自永恒走来
God chooses His moment to offer the most perfect alliance…
会在特定的时刻,给每个人机会
with each individual soul.
与他作最完美的结合
Good morning, Sister Luke.
早安,路加修女
Good morning, Doctor.
早安,医师
I promised I would call your father immediately after the examination.
我答应过你父亲 测验结束后就会打电♥话♥给他
I shall defer to my eminent colleagues for the first question.
第一个问题 将由我最优秀的同仁发问
Sister,
修女
the board would like to hear from you…
本选拔委员会,请你说明
in what parts of the tsetse fly will the trypanosomes be found.
昏睡锥虫可在孑孓蝇的什么部位找到
You may take your time with this question, Sister.
你可以慢慢想,修女
We have been working on them since the 1880s.
我们从1880年代起 就在研究这种寄生虫了
They will be found in the….
可以在
Perhaps you’d like the question repeated?
要不要再听一次问题?
In the tsetse fly, the trypanosomes will be found…
孑孓蝇身上的昏睡锥虫 可以在肠部位
in the gut, mouth parts, and salivary glands…
口部和唾腺体找到
in all of which sites they multiply.
他们会在这些部位繁殖
We would like to hear a résumé of
请你扼要说明恶性疟疾…
the special clinical types of pernicious…
与潜伏或慢性疟疾…
as differentiated from chronic or latent malaria.
不同的特殊临床症状
Cerebral, algid, bilious remittent fever,
病人是清醒的、发寒、反复热
blackwater fever…and bronchopneumonic form.
黑尿热,以及有支气管炎的形式
I have good news.
我有好消息
All four of our sisters have passed their examinations.
我们四位修女都通过测验了
Sister Pauline will return to the Congo.
宝琳修女将可回到刚果
Sisters Timothy and Ellen…
提摩西与艾伦修女
will go to the Congo, too.
也将前往刚果
Sister Luke will leave tomorrow morning…
路加修女明天上午 将出发前往
to join the nursing staff of our mental sanatorium near Brussels.
布鲁塞尔附近的精神疗养院 加入护理小组
Perhaps Reverend Mother feels you are not yet ready for the Congo.
也许院长觉得 你还没做好准备前去刚果
You must learn to accept with love whatever comes to you.
你必须学习甘心接受 加诸于你的任务
It is essential in religious life.
这是我们的信仰生活 很重要的精神
You passed fourth in a class of 80.
你在80人当中得第四名
Everything they do is to be accepted as normal.
他们的所作所为 都要视为常态
Sister Agnes, Sister Luke.
依搦斯修女,这位是路加修女
Good morning, Mother Christoph.
早安,基多福修女
Our practical nurses stand a four-hour shift.
我们这里的护士 轮值四小时的班
Our sisters take unlimited duty, sometimes from eight to 10 hours.
修女必须承担不设限的责任 有的时候要值八到十小时的班
These are the cells for our most dangerous patients.
这里是我们最危险的病人的病房♥
We try to approach even our most dangerous cases…
即使是对待最危险的病人
with gentle and persuasive reasoning.
也要以温和的态度 来设法说服他们
Sister Berthold, this is Sister Luke, who is to be with us for a while.
巴莎修女,这位是路加修女 她将暂时跟我们在一起
Sister Berthold. Sister Luke.
巴莎修女 路加修女
This one thinks that she is the Archangel Gabriel.
这一个认为她是大天使佳播
So we call her that.
所以我们就这样称呼她
Good afternoon, Archangel.
午安,大天使
She’s a schizophrenic and very dangerous.
她是精神分♥裂♥病患,相当危险
She has perfectly sane periods
当她神志清楚
when she talks intelligently about her farm.
谈到她的农场时 就是她正常的时候
A sister is forbidden to open the door of any of these cells…
修女不可打开这些病房♥的门
unless there is another sister with her.
除非有别的修女陪同
Or a practical helper.
或是有经验的帮手陪同
One ought to be able to get through to someone like her.
应该有人可以应付像她这样的人
Hello.
哈啰
Hello, Archangel.
哈啰,大天使
This is the room where we give the treatment for the violent cases.
这里是我们治疗暴♥力♥患者的房♥间
We keep them four to eight hours in baths…
我们让他们泡澡四到八小时
maintained at a constant temperature.
水都有维持在一定的温度
The sound that you hear are their heels…
你听到的声音是他们的脚
beating up and down against the tubs.
拍打在浴盆上的声音
Sister Marie is on duty.
玛丽修女在值班
She generally remains there from eight to 10 hours at a time.
她在那里 一次值班大约八到十小时
Sister Luke.
路加修女
It isn’t one of my pleasantest duties…
打开别人的信件检查内容
opening and reading other people’s letters, but…
不是我感到愉快的工作
sometimes it does allow me to help them.
不过,如此一来 我才能帮助别人
As you see, your father asks an angry question.
你父亲很生气的问了一个问题
Why should you waste all these months of your time here…
在你结束繁重的 热带医学课程之后
after your strenuous courses in tropical medicine?
为何要在这里浪费几个月的时间?
I must apologize for my father.
我得为我的父亲道歉
Your father’s a very great man.
你父亲是很伟大的人
But I don’t think he understands…
不过,我不认为他了解 海外殖民地
that the colonies are only for sisters perfected in the religious life.
只会分派给在信仰生活方面 完美无瑕的修女
He asks what you could possibly learn in this place.
他问到你在这里能学到什么
When I’m permitted to write to him I will tell him what I can learn here:
等我得到许可写信给他时 会告诉他,能在此地学到什么
obedience.
服从
Perhaps that’s what Mother Emmanuel had in mind.
也许艾曼妞院长就是这个意思
That this would make an excellent proving ground.
这里可成为很好的试验基地
I shall try.
我会努力的
And I shall try with you…
我会陪你一同努力的
since your soul is in my care while you are here.
既然你在我这里 你的灵魂就是我该关注的
Thank you, Reverend Mother.
谢谢你,修女
Yes?
嗯?
I am so thirsty.
我很渴
May I have a drink of water, please?
我可以喝杯水吗?拜托你?
A terrible thirst.
我很渴
The fish was so salty.
因为鱼很咸
Oh, God.
哦,天啊
God.
天啊
God
天啊
Oh, God.
哦,天啊
The Archangel.
是大天使
Pride.
傲慢!
Pride and disobedience.
傲慢、不能服从
Always disobedience.
总是不能服从 不要说话
Don’t try to talk. I would probably have done the same thing.
换成是我,搞不好也一样
I accuse myself also of pride in thinking
我指控自己傲慢的以为
I could handle the Archangel myself.
我能独自应付大天使
I accuse myself of using personal judgment in
我指责自己自行判断
not ringing the bell for help.
而不按铃找人来帮忙
I accuse myself of a sense of heroism.
我指责自己想充英雄
Mother, in the three days I’ve been lying in the infirmary…
修女,这三天我躺在医务室
I have accused myself
我不断的指责自己
of almost every possible imperfection…against the Holy Rule.
所有可能违反会规的缺点
They are always such glaring faults.
总是有那么多明显的错误
At the School of Tropical Medicine…
在热带医学院时
Mother Marcella offered me the chance to show true humility…
玛思乐修女 给我一个表现真正谦卑的机会
by failing an examination.
她教我故意让测验考坏
I know.
我知道
Mother Marcella means well…
玛思乐修女是出自善意

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!