-Well, what are they doing? -It’s being restored
保护协会正在对城♥堡♥进行修缮
by the Society for the Preservation of Scottish Monuments.
那太糟了 我特别想让我太太参观厄克特城♥堡♥
That’s too bad. I particularly wanted my wife to see Urquhart Castle.
这座塔是中世纪建筑最有意思的范例之一
The tower is one of the most interesting examples of Medieval architecture.
-是1400年左右 对不对 -没错
-About 1400, wasn’t it? -That’s right.
我想想 这是詹姆斯二世还是三世建的
Let me see, was it built by James II or James III?
三世 如果你愿意明年再来
The third. But if you’d like to come back next year,
那个时候我们应该修完了 我将很乐意带你参观
we’ll be finished then and I’ll be glad to show you round.
谢谢
Thank you.
真是个友善的人 是吧
Pleasant sort, isn’t he?
友善 但是无知
Pleasant, but ignorant.
他说的年代错了一百年 是哪个詹姆斯也没说对
He was off 100 years and one James.
其实应该是1500年左右由詹姆斯四世所建
It’s actually 1500 and James IV.
如果他是官方任命的导游 他难道不应该知道吗
If he’s an official guide, shouldn’t he know?
如果他真的是个导游
If he’s an official guide.
听 你有听见什么吗 华生
Listen. Do you hear anything, Watson?
听不见 那些鸟吵死了
No. Those birds are making too much of a racket.
这些不只是普通的鸟 他们是我们的旧相识
They’re not just birds. They’re our old friends.
硫酸
Sulfuric acid.
发现的越多 就越搞不清楚其中的联♥系♥
The more we find out the less sense it makes.
对一个学化学出身的人来说就容易多了
To a graduate chemist, it makes a great deal of sense.
硫酸遇盐水 就会产生氯气
Sulfuric acid, when exposed to salt water, produces chlorine gas.
约翰 请你把两只手牢牢地扣起来好吗
John, would you mind clasping your hands, please?
-像这样 -不 像这样
-Like that? -No, like that.
低一点 谢了
Lower. Thank you.
这塔也许比我想的还要有意思
That tower may be more interesting than I thought,
且不止从建筑的角度
and not just architecturally.
福尔摩斯 我觉得我们在这儿有点多余
Holmes, I have a feeling we’re redundant here.
我们已经从前面 后面
We have now observed the castle from the front,
侧面 地面还有水面观察过城♥堡♥了
from the back, from the side, from land, from water.
现在呢 打算在这儿露宿
What now? Planning to spend the night out here?
如果有必要的话
If necessary.
你会得重感冒的 你知道
Well, you’re going to catch your death of cold, you know.
如果福尔摩斯最后一案的凶手是肺炎 岂不是很讽刺
Wouldn’t it be ironic if Holmes’ last case were a case of pneumonia?
对不起
Sorry.
那是什么
What’s that?
福尔摩斯
Holmes!
那边有个…
There’s a…
快 华生 跟着它
Quick, Watson, after it!
福尔摩斯 我们这是在干嘛 我们应该逃得远远的
Holmes, what are we doing? We should be going away from it!
继续划 该死
Keep rowing, damn it!
我们跟丢了
We’ve lost it.
至少你承认有这么个东西
At least you admit there is an “it,”
不是我想象力的产物
not just a figment of my imagination.
安静
Quiet.
你带着你的听诊器吗
Do you have your stethoscope with you?
从不落下它
Never without it.
你在听什么
What is it?
我能听到一点动静
I can hear something.
它在靠近
It’s getting closer.
越来越近
And closer.
退后 退后
Get back. Get back!
你这个禽兽
You freak of water!
你没事吧
Are you all right?
我弄丢了我的阳伞
I lost my parasol.
华生在哪里
Where’s Watson?
华生
Watson!
谢谢
Thank you.
我曾经和吃人老虎
I have come face-to-face
大眼瞪小眼
with man-eating tigers.
我曾经遇上受惊逃跑的野象
I was once caught in a stampede of wild elephants,
在印度 你知道 但我的恐惧都不及现在的一半
in India, you know, but I wasn’t half as frightened.
这头禽兽像和我们有仇一样
This beast seems to have a personal grudge against us.
我只希望它别再回来
Well, I just hope it doesn’t come back.
我觉得它不会 看
I don’t think it will. Look.
奇了怪了
What strange goings-on.
这倒未必 我觉得
Not really. I would say
这水怪忙活了一天 现在回家
that the monster, after a hard day’s work, has returned home
吃晚饭了
for his supper.
我知道看起来很好笑 可你相信
Yes, I know. But would you believe
在这个地方连条像样点的裤子都借不到吗
you can’t borrow a decent pair of trousers in this place?
好啦 福尔摩斯 想跟我们说些什么
All right, Holmes, what have you to confide in us?
他一开始吹口哨 我就知道他快想出解决方案了
Whenever he starts whistling, I know he’s getting close to a solution.
其实不是什么新鲜玩意 我们以前遇到过这样的情况
It’s nothing new, actually. We’ve come across this situation before.
遇到过 在哪里
We have? Where?
-在芭蕾里 -芭蕾
-At the ballet. -The ballet?
有个湖 有座城♥堡♥ 有只天鹅
There’s a lake, and there’s a castle, and there’s a swan
但不是真的天鹅
that isn’t really a swan,
或者 在这个案子里 水怪也不是真的水怪
or, in this case, a monster that isn’t really a monster.
-那是什么 -是什么
-Then what is it? -What is it indeed
要用到硫酸和金丝雀
that feeds on canary birds and sulfuric acid,
还有一颗发动机心脏
and has an engine for a heart?
发动机
An engine?
听诊器是非常灵敏的仪器
The stethoscope is a very sensitive instrument,
水又是声音的良导体
and water is an excellent conductor of sound.
毫无疑问我们是在和一头机器水怪打交道
There is no doubt that we are dealing with a mechanical monster.
它不仅装着一颗人造的心脏
Not only is it equipped with an artificial heart,
它还有人造肺
it also has artificial lungs.
从湖面上的气泡来看
Judging from the bubbles on the surface of the lake,
它用的是某种气泵
it uses some form of air pump.
你觉得我丈夫参与了这些
You think my husband was involved in all this?
是的 瓦拉东夫人 我很确定
Yes, Madame Valladon, I’m sure of it.
但是为什么会有人要造一头机器水怪
But why would anybody want to build a mechanical monster?
就是为了吓唬人
Just to scare people?
不太像
Not very likely.
为什么他们不让我找到我丈夫
Why did they try to keep me from finding my husband?
为什么他被当成无名氏埋起来
And why was he buried anonymously?
我想我能猜到他们有什么诡计了
I think I have a pretty good notion of what they’re up to,
苏格兰古建筑保护协会还有另外一个名字
the Society for the Preservation of Scottish Monuments,
那就是第欧根尼俱乐部
better known as the Diogenes Club.
第欧根尼俱乐部
Diogenes Club!
进来
Come in.
艾什顿先生 这有一瓶给您的香槟
Mr. Ashdown, I have a bottle of champagne for ye.
一瓶香槟
A bottle of champagne.
我没点啊
I didn’t order it.
您是没点 这香槟是要您去送的 这是给您的指示
No, indeed. You are to deliver it. Those are my instructions.
谁给我的指示
Instructions from whom?
送到哪里去
Deliver it where?
我不知道 先生 不过楼下有辆
I wouldn’t know, sir. But there’s a carriage waiting
马车在等您
for ye downstairs.
你确定你要找的就是我这个艾什顿先生
Are you sure you’ve got the right Mr. Ashdown?
没错 福尔摩斯先生
Quite sure, Mr. Holmes.
好吧 华生 我看最后一幕的幕布已经拉开了
Well, Watson, I would say the curtain is going up on the last act.
我不喜欢这种感觉
I don’t like the sound of it.
请千万小心
Please be careful.
福尔摩斯 你最好把这个带上
Holmes, you’d better take this with you.
那谁来照看城♥堡♥啊
Well, who’s minding the castle?
你最好快上车 要迟到了
You’d better get on. It’s getting late.
我们要去哪儿 派对一类的
Where are we going? Some sort of party?
客人名单不会让你失望的
You won’t be disappointed in the guest list.
-主人是谁 -约拿
-Who’s the host? -Jonah.
我猜这位是艾什顿先生吧
Mr. Ashdown, I presume?
我猜你就是红色信使
The Red Runner, I presume.
你不是为了我一个人这么大费周章吧
You shouldn’t have gone to all this trouble just for me.
不是 迈凯拉 能把香槟给我吗
It’s not for you. McKellar. May I have the champagne, please?
1886年不算太好的年份 是吧
1886. Not a very good vintage, is it?
很普通 不过 这也不是用来喝的
Mediocre. But then again, it’s not for drinking.
绑起来 没问题吧
Tie it up, will you?
进这来
In here.
有意思 看起来很学术
Interesting and educational.
不顾我的严正警告继续插手

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
前一篇文章坏教育
下一篇文章谋杀绿脚趾
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!