In this thing we’re partners, see?
在这件事上我们是合作伙伴 明白吗?
Shall we drink to that? I don’t…
我们能为此干杯吗? 我不…
Juanito, two more double bourbons.
加内托 再来两杯加倍的波旁威士忌
Make ’em nice and big.
这样更醇厚些
All I can say is, this better be important.
我只希望这最好很重要
It is.
是的
I think we’re out of our minds to be here in Mexico at all.
我想我们来墨西哥真是发疯了
Well, Vargas, you sent for us. Mr Adair.
瓦格斯 是你叫我们来的吧 阿岱尔先生
Gentlemen. Now, it isn’t really true that I sent for you.
先生们 并不真是这样
Mr Schwartz insisted that I myself… Let’s get down to cases.
施瓦兹先生坚持… 让我们谈正事吧
You know Chief Gould. How do you do, sir?
你认识古尔局长? 你好吗?
Where’s this so-called document?
这份所谓的文件在哪里?
Perhaps we’d better go to my room. Yes, by all means, yes.
最好去我的房♥间吧 好 当然可以
In here, gentlemen. Go ahead.
这里先生们 走吧
No, no, no. I’ll walk.
不不不 我要爬楼梯
Oh, OK. The lift is rather small, I’m afraid.
哦 好吧 恐怕电梯太小了
Chief Gould.
古尔局长
Just press the button for the second floor.
按下钮上二楼
I’ll meet you there.
我在那里等你们
I still don’t know why Vargas couldn’t come to my office.
我还是不明白 瓦格斯为什么不能来我的办公室
He has practically cabinet status with the Mexican government, you know.
他在墨西哥政♥府♥几乎拥有内阁的身份
Well, if he’s so important…
如果他真是这么重要…
He can’t make a formal call on either of you
拜访你们而不用经过他的领♥事♥馆♥
without going through his consulate
而且不会把整件事
and putting the whole thing on an international level.
提升到国际范围
Cut out all the fancy talk and what does it boil down to?
那么它最终归结为什么?
This Mexican is bringing criminal charges
这个墨西哥人正在对…
against one of the most respected police officers in the country.
国内一位十分受人尊敬的警官提出控告
And that’s what it boils down to!
最终就归结为这
Eh, well, Vargas, you must be pretty quick on your feet.
嗯… 瓦格斯 你脚头倒很快
It’s just that the lift is slow. This way, gentlemen.
是电梯慢了 这边请 先生们
Thank you.
谢谢
After you.
您先请
I have it right over here.
我把它放在这里了
There. While you’re looking at it,
给 你们在看的时候
perhaps you’ll excuse me if I finish a call I’ve put in.
恕我失陪一下 要去打个电♥话♥
Where’d you get this?
你从哪里得到的?
From your Department of Records about an hour ago.
一小时前从你的档案室
They’ll let anybody in there. Well, it doesn’t mean anything.
所有人的都在那里 嗯 这不说明什么
That’s your wife you’re calling, isn’t it? Yes.
在给你妻子打电♥话♥吗? 是的
You know who owns the Mirador? No, I…
你知道谁拥有”梅拉多”吗? 不 我…
June 18th. Hills Hardware in Los Robles.
6月18号♥ 洛罗布雷斯的希尔氏五金店
17 sticks, Black Fox brand, to H. Quinlan.
17捆黑狐狸牌 给汉克·昆兰
Quinlan needed dynamite for work on his ranch – simple coincidence.
昆兰的农场需要炸♥药♥ 只是巧合
Mr Adair… Hello?
阿岱尔先生… 喂?
Yes?
喂?
Mirador? My name is Vargas.
梅拉多吗? 我叫瓦格斯
I’d like to speak with my wife, please.
麻烦叫下我妻子
I’m very sorry, Mr Vargas, but your wife left definite instructions.
对不起 瓦格斯先生 您的夫人下了明确的命令
She’s not to be disturbed.
不许任何人打扰她
Honey.
亲爱的
You, in the next room.
你! 在隔壁的!
What is it?
谁啊?
Come to the wall, so I can whisper.
到墙边来 好让我和你说悄悄话
Yes?
什么?
‘You know what the boys are trying to do, don’t you?
你知道那些家伙正准备干什么吧?
‘They are trying to get in there. They went to get the master key.
他们想进你的房♥间 已经去找万♥能♥钥♥匙♥了
You know what marijuana is, don’t you?
你知道大♥麻♥是什么吧?
Yes, eh…
是的 我…
You know what a Mary Jane is?
你知道大♥麻♥是什么吧?
You know what a mainliner is?
你知道静脉注射是什么吧?
I think so.
我想我知道
But what’s that got to do with me?
但那和我有什么关系?
You take it in the vein.
你把它注射到静脉里
You’re trying to tell me these boys are drugged?
你是想告诉我 这些家伙是瘾君子吗?
Is that why… Shh.
这就是为什么… 嘘
Hey, you think they’re ready for that stuff yet?
你认为他们已经准备好毒品了吗?
Not yet, kid.
还没有
The fun is only beginning.
好戏才刚开始
Hank, I’ve been looking for you in every bar in town.
汉克 我在镇上的酒吧里到处你
Yeah, I’ve been in half of ’em.
啊 我已经去过有半数了
But only here on the wrong side of the border.
但都在边境的另一边
I never drink on my own beat, partner.
我从不在自己的地界上喝酒
Bartender, give him some black coffee, quick.
侍应生 快给他来点不加奶的咖啡
I don’t need black coffee. He’s called a meeting, Hank.
我不需要 他召集了一次会议
A meeting? Vargas, at his hotel.
一次会议? 瓦格斯 在他住的旅馆
The motel? No, right here across the street.
汽车旅馆吗? 不 就在这里街对面
Well, I don’t need any coffee. Not yet. Not yet?
我不要咖啡 不到时候 不到时候?
This is a swell time to be getting fried, I must say.
现在可不是喝醉的时候
My job’s over, Pete.
我的工作结束了 皮特
You ought to be working on Sanchez. Listen, Hank…
你该在审问桑切斯的 听着 汉克
We gotta break him.
我们要让他招供
Vargas is telling the Chief and the D.A. That you planted that dynamite.
瓦格斯正要告诉局长和地方检察官 是你把炸♥药♥放在屋里的
Ah, he was a fool.
他是个傻瓜
They’re taking him seriously. They came to him.
他们可当他是认真的 他们已经去了
No, I mean Sanchez. Dynamite’s no way to kill.
不 我是说桑切斯 不该用炸♥药♥杀人
Did I ever tell you the smart way to kill, Pete?
我告诉过你杀人的聪明方法吗?
Sure, sure, strangling. Mmm.
说过 掐死 嗯
Clean, silent.
干净利索
You told me all that. Finish that coffee. That’s how my wife died.
你都告诉过我了 喝了这杯咖啡 我妻子就是这么死的
I don’t usually talk about my wife. Never when you’re sober.
我很少谈论我妻子 只有当你不清醒时
She was strangled, Pete. I know, I know.
她是被掐死的皮特 我知道
Binding cord. She was working up at the packing plant,
包装用的绳子 她在包装厂上班
so the killer had it right to hand. Smart.
凶犯随手拿到的 很聪明
You don’t leave fingerprints on a piece of string.
你不会在一根绳子上留下指纹
Bartender, what do I owe you?
侍应生 多少钱?
That half-breed done it, of course. We all knew that.
是那个杂种干的 我们都明白
But I was just a rookie cop.
可我当时只是个新手
Four seventy-five.
4美元75美分
I followed around after him, eating my heart out…
我跟踪他 苦苦等待机会…
trying to catch him.
抓住他
But I never did.
可一直没能成功
Then in some mudhole in Belgium,
最后在比利时的一个排污洞里
the Good Lord done the job for me, 1917.
老天爷帮我办成了… 那是1917年
Pete, that was the last killer that ever got out of my hands.
皮特 这是最后一个曾逃出过我手心的凶犯
Where are you going? Where do you think?
你现在要去哪里? 你说呢?
To Senor Vargas’s meeting. He wants to fight dirty? OK.
瓦格斯那里 他想和腐♥败♥作斗争? 好吧
That’s the kind of fight he’s gonna get.
这就是他将得到的战斗
Perhaps… Perhaps what?
也许… 也许什么?
Perhaps he honestly thinks that Sanchez is guilty.
也许他的确认为桑切斯是有罪的
‘Course he does! There’s no perhaps about it.
当然了 没有”也许”
Hank Quinlan is an honest cop. There are all kinds of policemen, sir.
汉克·昆兰是个正直的警♥察♥ 有各式各样的警♥察♥
I don’t have to tell you that. A few take bribes.
我用不着告诉你的 有些人收受贿赂
Hank Quinlan never took a dollar in his life.
汉克·昆兰从没收过一块钱
Most are honest, yes!
大多数是正直的 没错
But even some of the honest men abuse their power in other ways.
但即便一些正直的警♥察♥ 也在以其它方式滥用职权
Come in, Hank.
进来 汉克
Well, I…
嗯 我…
don’t know whether I’m welcome or not.
我不知道自己是否受欢迎
I want you to hear this.
我想让你听听这个
I’ve heard it already.
我已经听过了
Our friend Vargas has some very special ideas about police procedure.
你的朋友瓦格斯 对警♥察♥机关的程序有一些十分特别的想法
He seems to think it don’t matter whether a killer’s hanged or not,
他似乎认为凶手是否被绞死并不重要
so long as we obey the fine print in the rule books.
只要我们遵守条例就行
Captain, I don’t think a policeman should work like a dog-catcher.
探长 我认为一个警♥察♥不该象抓狗一样
No? Putting criminals behind bars. No!
不吗? 随便把人关进牢里 不!
In any free country, a policeman is supposed to enforce the law.
在任何自♥由♥国家里 警♥察♥都该守法
And the law protects the guilty, as well as the innocent.
法律既保护清白的人 也保护罪犯
Our job is tough enough. We got… It’s supposed to be. It has to be tough.
我们的工作已经够艰苦了 它必然是艰苦的
A policeman’s job is only easy in a police state.
只有在一个极权国家中才会轻松

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!