That’s the whole point, Captain.
这就是关键所在 探长
Who is the boss? The cop or the law?
谁是老大? 警♥察♥还是法律?
Where’s your wife, Vargas? What are you?
你妻子在哪里? 瓦格斯 什么?
What do you mean? You know where she is as well as I do.
你什么意思? 你跟我一样知道的她在哪
Sergeant Menzies drove her. She’s at the motel.
曼西斯警官开车送的她 她在汽车旅馆里
Oh? And you’re still here?
哦? 你一直在这里吗?
Yes. I’m checking out now and joining her.
是的 我正要结了账去找她
Do you have a reason for asking, Captain?
你这样问有什么原因吗? 探长
No, I had no special reason. No.
不 没有特别的原因
No, I just wondered.
只是好奇
Well, what do you know?
看见了吗?
A mother pigeon and her nest. Pigeon egg.
一只母鸽和她的巢 一只鸽子蛋
Eh? Captain.
嗯? 探长
You did buy 17 sticks of dynamite, didn’t you?
你确实买♥♥过17捆炸♥药♥ 不是吗?
You tell your story, Vargas. I don’t have to answer your questions.
你讲你的故事 我不需要回答你的问题
A hired hand at your ranch says…
你农场的一个雇工说…
My ranch? …he used about 15 sticks.
我的农场? 他用了15捆
You been spying out at my ranch? A foreigner?
你在偷偷监视我的农场? 一个外国人?
Without my knowledge, Hank! Without my permission!
不敢想象啊 汉克! 未经我的许可
At your ranch, you used 15 sticks of dynamite, Quinlan.
你在农场用了15捆炸♥药♥
That leaves two sticks missing, and two sticks were found in that shoebox.
还有2捆不见了 而鞋盒中正好找见了2捆!
He’s just asking, Hank. Hank!
他只是问问汉克 汉克!
What’s that for?
是为了什么?
It’s for… it’s for letting him ask. Oh, Hank, wait a minute!
为了让他质问 汉克 等等!
Thirty years. Thirty years of pounding beats and riding cars.
三十年! 三十年的兢兢业业
Thirty years of dirt and crummy pay!
三十年的微薄薪水
Thirty years I gave my life to this department!
我为这个局奉献了一生
And you allow this foreigner to accuse me!
可你却允许这个外国佬来控告我
We were just giving you a chance to answer!
我们在给你一个答辩的机会!
Answer? Why do I have to answer him?
答辩? 我为什么非要答辩?
No, sir. I won’t take back that badge
不 长官! 我不会收回警徽的
until the people of this county vote it back!
除非县里的人再投票选我!
Oh! Hank, will you listen a minute?
哦! 汉克 你能听一分钟吗?
I don’t want to ever see that man in headquarters for any reason at any time!
我再也不想在总部看见这个人了 无论什么理由!
Now, you backed him up… Me?
是你壮了他的胆! 我?
You stood by while he impugned the integrity
他对昆兰的正直发难时
of Captain Quinlan and Sgt. Menzies! I tried to stop him!
你袖手旁观 我试过阻止他!
Do you realise what Vargas has done?
你是否意识到瓦格斯做了什么?
He’s smearing hundreds of fine men.
他在污蔑数以百计的好人!
Men ready to give their lives. Have you caused enough trouble?
那些将要开始新的人生的人 你还没惹够麻烦吗?
Are you satisfied?
你满意了?
I want you to apologise! To Quinlan?
我要你道歉! 向昆兰?
And to Chief Gould.
还有古尔局长
Would you like me to get down on my knees?
你是否想让我下跪?
If you have any decency, you will, yes! You’ll crawl!
如果你还有些礼貌的话 没错! 你该爬过去
Mr Adair, I won’t give you the chance to test your authority in this matter.
阿岱尔先生 我不会给你机会来检验你在这件事上的威信
Al, have I still any credit left with you?
艾尔 我在你那里还有些信誉吗?
Some.
还有一些
Tell me, where can I find the records of Quinlan’s old cases?
告诉我 在哪里能找到昆兰办过的旧案的卷宗?
I’ll show you.
我会指给你看
I’d like to get back to my wife. I hope this won’t take too long.
我想回到妻子身边 希望不会太久
Hank? Hmm?
汉克 嗯?
You’re not going without this.
把这个带走
Well, now I guess I can talk.
我猜我现在可以说话了
What do you mean, Hank? Well, all I wanted to tell you was,
你想说什么? 汉克 我刚才想告诉你们的
that I couldn’t really say in my own defence that…
是我在自己的辩护中不能真正说出来的
Go on, Hank.
继续 汉克
What do you really know about this Vargas?
你对这个瓦格斯究竟知道些什么?
Isn’t he in charge of some kind of clean-up here on this side of the border?
他不是在国境这边负责某种清除工作吗?
Narcotics mainly? Yeah. Narcotics.
主要是毒品吧? 没错
He’s a drug addict.
他是个瘾君子
He’s got that young wife of his hooked, too.
他让自己的娇妻也上瘾了
But good. If I hadn’t seen that hypodermic myself…
天哪 如果我不是亲眼见过皮下注射的话…
Hypodermic? You saw it? I just said so, didn’t I?
皮下注射? 你看见了? 我正是这么说的 不是吗?
I saw it.
我看见了
That’s how come he happened to imagine all those crazy things. It’s typical.
这就是他为什么能碰巧想象出所有这些蠢事 这很常见
That’s what that wife of his was doing in that dive on skid row.
这就是他妻子 在那间贫农窟的低级酒吧里曾经干过的
Both a couple of junkies. Of course, he’s using the job…
一对瘾君子 无疑他在用职业
as a cover-up.
作为掩护
You don’t mean he’s mixed up in this dope racket himself?
你不是指他本人也卷入了这桩毒品交易吧?
Hank, if this is just one of your hunches…
汉克 如果这只是你的一个直觉…
I don’t ask you to believe it! I can prove it!
我没有要求你相信 我能证明它
I know it isn’t my department, but…
我知道那不是我的职责 但…
I’d like to show you I’m not talking out of the back of my neck.
我愿意向你证明 我不是睁着眼说瞎话
Just be careful, huh?
小心点好吗?
Chief, I’ll be very careful.
局长 我会十分小心的
This takes guts, Al. Standing up to your boss this way.
这需要勇气 艾尔 如此顶撞你的上司
After today, amigo, you can do me a favour.
过了今天 朋友 你就可以帮我一个忙
Help me look for an office. How’s that?
另找间办公室 怎么了?
Hank Quinlan’s famous intuition might still turn out to be better than yours.
汉克·昆兰有名的直觉 也许仍被证明 但确实要比你的灵
If so, my intuition tells me I’ll be going back to private practice.
这样一来 我的直觉告诉我 我得回去自己找饭碗了
Here are the other names you want. Look, Al, I can finish this alone.
这是你想要的其它的名字 瞧 艾尔 我可以自己干
Yes, and maybe you can’t.
是的 但也许你不能
Well, let me try, anyway.
好吧 总之让我试试
I have no right to drag you further into this.
我没有权力让你陷得更深
Gonna do it alone, huh?
要单干吗?
All you got to do is solve the murder
你要做的只是弄清楚谋杀案
and also prove that the idol of the police force is a fraud,
并证明警界的偶像是个骗子
Amigo, you’ve got your work really cut out for you.
朋友 你要做的事还真多
Hello, Tana? Is Captain Quinlan there?
喂 塔娜吗? 昆兰探长在不在?
Now, Sergeant. Tana!
现在 警官… 塔娜!
Hey, Tana! I’ll be right there.
嗨 塔娜! 我马上过去
Now, what would Hank Quinlan be doing here?
汉克·昆兰会在这里做什么?
‘Used to be he’d hole up at your place for two or three days
和往常一样 带一箱威士忌到你那里
with a case of whiskey.
躲上两三天
That was years ago. Now he’s on candy bars.
那是几年前的事了 他现在改吃糖了
Not tonight, he isn’t.
不是今晚
Let me stay. I want to watch.
让我留下 我想看看
Hold her legs.
抓住她的腿!
No, no, let me go!
哦! 不! 让我走!
Don’t touch me! Let me go! No!
别碰我! 让我走! 不要!
No! No! Close the door!
不! 不! 关上门
So, this is where you’ve been all afternoon. Hmm?
你整个下午就呆在这里吗?
How’d they let you in here? A foreigner.
他们怎么会放你一个外国人进来?
The Hall of Records is open to the public, Sergeant.
档案室对公众是开放的 警官
What’re you doing?
你在干什么?
You’ll find out tomorrow morning. I want to know now.
明天早上你就会知道 我现在就想知道
What’s all this?
这些是什么?
Records of every case
每个案件纪录
where you or Quinlan uncovered the principal evidence.
你或昆兰找到的主要证据的卷宗
In each case, as you’ll notice,
在每件案子中 你会注意到
the defence denied the existence of that evidence.
被告方都否认了该证据的存在
What are you trying to do? Wreck him?
你想做什么? 毁了他?
Him? What about you?
他? 那你呢?
Are you telling me you never planted any evidence, Sergeant?
你从没编造过任何证据吗? 警官
Of course not. Neither did Hank.
当然没有 汉克也一样
It’s all there. The axe in the Berger slaying.
都在这里了 没有伯杰凶杀案中的斧子
The dentures in the Ewell case.
尤厄案中的假牙
Planting evidence, framing suspects!
编造证据陷害疑犯
That’s a lie. I think I can prove it, Sergeant.
乱讲 我可以证明
Sure… you can smear him.
当然 你可以诽谤他
Ruin his whole life’s work.
毁了他一生的事迹
Vargas, I… I don’t even know where he is.
瓦格斯 我… 我甚至不知道他现在身在何方
That’s what you’ve done to him.
这就是你对所他做的
What I’ve done to him? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
我对他做了什么? 对对对 是
He’s on an important case and he’s disappeared.
他在调查一件重案 然后失踪了
Good and drunk probably.
也许是彻底醉了
After twelve years on the wagon.
在戒了12年的酒后
That’s what you’ve done to him.
这就是你对他所做的
What about Quinlan, Sergeant?
那昆兰呢? 警官

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!