发现了一颗非常大的彗星
a very large comet.
-对 -真为你高兴
Oh. Yeah. Good for you.
这颗彗星直径大约五到十公里
A comet between five to ten kilometers across,
我们猜测它来自奥尔特云
that we estimate came from the, uh… from the… from the Oort cloud.

Wow.
那是太阳系最边缘的部分
Which is the outermost part of the solar system.
然后…
And, um…
然后用高斯轨道测定法
And using Gauss’s method of orbital determination
同时考虑0. 04角秒的 平均天体测量误差 我们询问了…
and the average astrometric uncertainty of 0. 04 arcseconds, we then asked–
-那是什么玩意儿? -我觉得好无聊
Whoa! What the hell is… What? I’m so bored.
告诉我们到底有什么事就行
Just tell us what it is.
-什么?别说什么? -真的 别说了
-What? Stop what? Seriously, stop.
明迪教授想说的是
What Dr. Mindy is trying to say is
有一颗彗星正朝地球飞来
there’s a comet headed towards Earth,
根据美国国家航♥空♥航♥天♥局电脑的计算
and according to NASA’s computers,
这个天体将落在智利海岸正西方
that object is gonna hit the Pacific Ocean
100公里处的太平洋中
at 62 miles due west off the coast of Chile.
然后呢?会引发潮汐波?
Then what happens? Like, a tidal wave?
不 结果远比潮汐波有毁灭性
No. It will be far more catastrophic.
到时将会有数千米高的海啸席卷全球
There’ll be mile-high tsunamis fanning out all across the globe.
如果这颗彗星发生撞击 威力将相当于十亿颗广岛原♥子♥弹♥
If this comet makes impact, it will have the power of a billion Hiroshima bombs.
将会发生10级或11级地震…
There’ll be magnitude 10 or 11 earthquakes–
等等 你的呼吸节奏很奇怪 让我感觉不舒服
You’re breathing weird. It’s, uh, making me uncomfortable.
抱歉 我只是在努力解释科学研究
I’m sorry, I’m just trying to articulate the science.
我知道 但听起来太压抑了 我努力在听…
I know. But it’s so stressful. I’m trying to, like, listen–
我觉得你没有理解情况的严重性
I don’t think you understand the gravity of the situation.
我在尽力阐述…
I’m trying to articulate it the best I can–
总统女士 这颗彗星 就是我们所谓的地球杀手
Madam President, this comet is what we call a planet-killer.
没错
That is correct.
这个结论有多肯定?
So how certain is this?
撞击概率是100%
There’s 100% certainty of impact.
拜托 别说100%
Please, don’t say 100%.
我们可以称之为潜在重要事件吗?
Can we just call it a potentially significant event?
-对 -好
Yeah. Yes.
但这不是潜在会发生的事
But it isn’t potentially going to happen.
它一定会发生的
It is going to happen.
没错 准确地说是99. 78%
Exactly. 99. 78% to be exact.
很好 那就不是100%
Oh, great. Okay, so it’s not 100%.
科学家从来都不喜欢说100%
Well, scientists never like to say 100%.
就当是70%吧 继续往下说
Call it 70% and let’s just move on.
但概率根本没有70%那么低
But it’s not even close to 70%.
你总不能到处和别人说
You cannot go around saying to people
他们100%会死吧
that there’s 100% chance that they’re gonna die.
那可太疯狂了
You know? It’s just nuts.
我们应该找我们的科学家们看看 无意冒犯
We should get some of our scientists on this, you know.
但你们这么两个人跟着…
No offense, but you’re just two people that walked in here with–
奥格尔索普博士
Dr. Oglethorpe.
奥夫…奥吉尔维博士 对
Dr. Ov… Ogilvy. Yeah.
我在美国国家航♥空♥航♥天♥局 负责行星防御事务已经15年了
I’ve been head of planetary defense at NASA for 15 years.
而明迪博士是 密歇根州立大学天文学终身教授
And Dr. Mindy is a tenured professor of astronomy at Michigan State,
迪比亚斯基小姐是那里的博士候选人
where Miss Dibiasky is a doctoral candidate.
-很好 -不好意思
Good. I’m sorry.
你刚才说“密歇根州立”?
Did you say Michigan State?
没错 他们的天文学系非常出色
Exactly. They have an excellent astronomy department.
-是的 -得了吧
Yes. Come on, bro.
开什么玩笑? 要看我的大学入学考试成绩吗?
You kidding? You wanna see my fucking SAT scores?
好了 我们来说重点吧
Okay, let’s bottom line this.
这件事需要我付出什么?
What is this gonna cost me?
你们的要求是什么?
You know, what’s the ask here?
政♥府♥有现成的计划
There are government plans in place.
我们可以通过 美国国家航♥空♥航♥天♥局采取行动
Um, actions we can take through NASA.
可以用装备核武器的无人机
Drones that can be outfitted with nukes
尝试改变彗星的运行方向
to deflect and hopefully change the orbit of this comet.
我们必须马上行动
We must act now.
嘿 好的
Oh, hey. All right, all right, all right.
中期选举还有多久?
-When are the midterms?
-三周 -三周
Three weeks. Three weeks.
如果消息在那之前流出 国会那边我们就输定了
So, if this breaks before then, we lose Congress.
然后我们就一点办法也没有了
Then there’s nothing we can do about it.
政♥治♥僵局
It’ll be gridlocked.
时机…糟透了
-The timing is just… It’s atrocious.
好吧 目前我觉得我们静观其变
Okay, at this very moment, I say we sit tight and assess.
-静观其变 -找其他人一起来评估一下
Sit tight and assess.
找些藤校毕业生
Let’s get some other people on this. Some Ivy Leaguers.
你和我一起审阅一下 航♥空♥航♥天♥局的计划 好吗?
And you and I will review the NASA plans.
非常感谢
-Okay? I’d greatly appreciate that.
如果我没理解错的话
Am I to understand correctly that,
在今天接收了所有这些信息之后
after all of the information you’ve received today,
你做出的决定是“静观其变”?
the decision you’re making is to “sit tight and assess”?
-不好意思 她谁啊? -你♥他♥妈♥谁啊?你不是她儿子吗?
-I’m sorry, who is she? Who the fuck are you? Aren’t you her son?
我他妈是白宫幕僚长 是龙纹身男孩
I’m the fucking Chief of Staff, Boy with the Dragon Tattoo.
不用你操心
So I’m doing fine.
我们走吧 真是一场闹剧
We gotta get out of here. This place is a freak show.
我觉得迪比亚斯基小姐想说的是
I think what Miss Dibiasky is trying to say
静观其变的想法是非常非常危险的…
is that the idea of sitting tight is an extremely, extremely dangerous–
谢谢 今天总算有件好事了
Thank you. One good thing happened today.
好吧 说个趣事
Okay, funny story.
我竞选总统的时候
When I was running for president,
竞选活动的第一个月 我不得不偷偷抽烟
I had to sneak cigarettes for the whole first month of the campaign
因为我抽烟的照片
because, you know, photographs of me smoking
价值多少来着 十万美元一张?
went for, what, a hundred grand a pop?
所以我一直藏着 但后来受够了
So, I’m always hiding, but, you know, I just got sick of it.
我就说:“随便吧 我想抽的时候就要抽”
And I just said, “You know what, I’m gonna smoke whenever I want to. ”
你猜怎么着?
Guess what happened?
-我的民调支持率上涨了三个点 -他们喜欢她的真实
-I went up three points in the polls. They loved that she kept it real.
人们喜欢看有魅力的人抽烟
They love watching a smokeshow smoke.
我想不到还有哪位总统 让我希望能在《花♥花♥公♥子♥》上看到
I can’t think of another president that I’d ever wanna see in Playboy.
这种“世界末日要来了”的会议 这些年来我们开了多少次
Do you know how many, uh, “the world is ending” meetings
你们知道吗?
that we’ve had over the years?
经济崩溃、核泄漏 汽车尾气破坏大气层
Economic collapse, loose nukes, car exhaust killing the atmosphere.
-异常的人工智能 -干旱、饥荒、瘟疫…
-Rogue AI. Drought, famine, plague…
一切皆有可能
-Uh… Everything.
外星人入侵、人口增长 臭氧层空洞…
Alien invasion, population growth, hole in the ozone
杰森 嘿
Jason, hey.
-拜托你看看屋子里的气氛吧 -对不起 妈妈
-Read the room for once in your life. Sorry, Mom.
问题是 我还有工作要做
Point is, I have a job to do.
您能明白这是末日级别的事件吧
You do understand that this is an apocalyptic event.
一个巨型天体 正朝着我们的地球飞来 速度高达…
This is a large celestial body heading towards our planet at speeds–
我明白 明迪博士
Dr. Mindy, I hear you.
我听到你说的话了
I hear you.
-你应该为自己感到骄傲 -谢谢
-You should be proud. Thank you.
我非常重视它 真心的
I’m taking it very seriously. I’m taking it straight in the heart.
您不知道听到您这么说我有多欣慰
I’m so glad to hear that. You have no idea.
嘿 各位 我们今天聊的事 显然都是超级机密 对吧?
Hey, gang, obviously everything we talked about in here, super classified, right?
-对 -很好
Yeah. Cool.
多谢你盛装出席
Thanks for dressing up.
我们要就这样把消息泄露给媒体?
You’re saying we’re just gonna leak it to the press?
-这不违法吗? -是的 我们要泄露出去
-Isn’t that illegal? Hell yeah, we’re going to leak it.
你可能没意识到 白宫刚刚把我们打发走了
In case you didn’t notice, the White House just blew us off.
我男朋友菲利普说他认识一个记者
My boyfriend, Phillip, says he knows a reporter
《纽约先驱报》的 那人会和我们谈
from the New York Herald who will talk to us.
-阿杜尔格雷利奥 -很好 他是个重要人物
-Adul Grelio. Good. He’s a heavy hitter.
我还会悄悄联♥系♥更多科学界人士
And I’ll reach out to more of the scientific community on the down-low.
-我感觉这不是我应该有的行为 -你只要讲故事就好
-I just feel like this isn’t what I do. You’re just telling a story.
讲简单点
Keep it simple.
别讲数学
No math.
可这全是数学啊
But it’s all math.
一切都始于连接
It all started with a connection.
一个简单的姿势创造了许多东西
A simple gesture that created so much.
许多选择
So many choices.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!