希望沟壑
我还是孩童时 我们经常去悬崖边
When I was a child, we would go to this cove
那有一个叫希望沟壑的海湾
under the cliffs called Hope Gap.
每当潮汐退去 便出现了这些小潮池
When the tide was out, these little rock pools appeared.
一些微小的海洋生物也在其中
And in the pools were tiny sea creatures.
我的母亲会坐在一旁的岩石上
My mother would sit on the rocks and wait
静静地看我独自探索
for me while I explored.
我从没问过自己她到底在想什么
I never asked myself what she was thinking
或者她是否开心
or if she was happy.
你并不开心 对吗
You don’t, do you?
“出于一股寂寞而愉悦的冲动” 对吧加里
“A lonely impulse of delight”, is it, Gary?
怎么说
How is that?
是你啊 格蕾丝
Oh, it’s you, Grace.
是一句诗 叶芝的诗
It’s a poem, WB Yeats.
爱尔兰文艺复兴运动代表诗人
总是这么有诗意 格蕾丝
Always with the poetry, eh, Grace.
“我奋战 无关律法 无关公众与义务
“Nor law, nor duty bade me fight, nor public men,
叶芝《一个爱尔兰飞行员的预知死亡》
无关喝彩 而是出于一股寂寞而愉悦的冲动
nor cheering crowds, a lonely impulse of delight
它引领我直达这缥缈云雾”
drove to this tumult in the clouds.”
该死
Oh, bollocks.
“认真权衡 试图回想
“I balanced all, brought all to mind.
往后余生 不过虚妄
The years to come seemed a waste of breath.
死生之间 两相权衡
A waste of breath the years behind in balance
所绘虚妄 虽生犹亡”
with this life, this death.”
叶芝《一个爱尔兰飞行员的预知死亡》
今天不错吗
Good day?
和平常差不多
Uh, much the usual.
“你今天过得怎么样 格蕾丝”
“How was your day, Grace?”
过得
Was?
也对
Oh, yeah.
我去希望沟壑走了一趟
I did our walk to Hope Gap.
我已经好久没去那里了
I haven’t done it for ages.
你还记得以前杰米多喜欢去那里玩吗
Remember how Jamie used to love going there?
当然记得
Yes, of course.
有时我非常想念他
Sometimes I miss him so much.
你给我泡茶了吗
Did you make me a cup of tea?
我以为你已经有一杯了
I thought you had one?
它已经冷了
It’s gone cold.
我很好奇为什么你一直只喝一半的茶
Why is it you only ever drink half your tea I wonder.
我也想知道
I wonder that, too.
可能是因为我不喜欢事情完结吧
Ah, I suppose it’s because I don’t like things to end.
你就不是个终结者
You’re a non-completer.
是吗
Oh, am I?
那你是个终结者吗
Are you a completer?
某种程度上是吧
Up to a point.
人真的能在某种程度上彻底完成什么事吗
Can one complete anything up to a point?
我觉得不行
I don’t think so.
不过我确实很希望杰米回家
Well, I do wish Jamie would come home.
他已经好几个月没回来了
It’s been months.
他有他自己的生活
He’s got his own life.
当然他有 但是他的生活中为何没有我们
Well, of course, he has, but why doesn’t it include us?
你在上维基网吗
Are you Wiki-ing?
允许用户编辑词条的网站类似百度
是的
Yes.
你就从来没完成过上维基网
You never complete that.
维基网是上不完的
You can’t complete Wikipedia.
拿破仑率领45万人横穿涅曼河
Napoleon marched 450,000 men across the Neman.
俄♥罗♥斯♥境内河流
只有不到2万人生还
Less than 20,000 came back.
出人意料的是 很多军官都写了日记
The surprisingly large number of the officers kept diaries.
有150多本日记留存下来了
Over 150 have survived.
还是在那么艰苦的撤退环境下 真不容易
Remarkable, really, given the conditions on the retreat.
德国二战时期军官日记内容
“那些抵御不住严寒掉队的士兵
“As the men dropped in the intense cold,
就会被战友扒光衣服
they were stripped of clothing by their own comrades
被丢在雪地里 赤身裸体 苟延残喘”
and left naked in the snow still alive.”
这其实是一种生存策略
It was a kind of survival strategy.
在极端的条件下 人是可以变得很残忍♥的
In extremest, men can be cruel.
这有错吗
Is that wrong?
我们该谴责他们吗
Do we blame them?
换作是我们 会做得比他们好吗
Would any of us have behaved any better?
罗比
Robbie?
我不会扒光他们的衣服
I wouldn’t have stripped them.
你会让他们穿着衣服在冰天雪地中死去
You’d have left them to die with their clothes on?
是的
Yes.
出于同情还是庄重感
Out of compassion or modesty?
把别人的衣服扒掉好像很难的样子
It’s really hard getting people’s clothes off.
确实
So it is.
已经好一阵了 我一直想你回来
Well, it’s been a while, and I was thinking.
谢谢你 杰米
Oh, thank you, Jamie.
你确定你能过来吗
Are you sure you can manage?
好的 我会告诉格蕾丝
I’ll tell Grace.
她肯定会很高兴的
She’ll be so pleased.
周六午饭之后来吧
Some time after lunch on Saturday.
德国二战时期军官日记内容
“每当有士兵受伤或被冻伤
“When men were wounded or frostbitten
或者不能自己走了 照命令要把他们
and men could no longer walk, orders were given to carry
放在行李车上运输
them on the baggage wagons.
这显然会拖慢行李车的运行速度
This slowed the wagons down, of course,
也降低了运送行李的火车
and reduced the chances that the baggage train
能成功抵达斯摩棱斯克的可能性
would make it to Smolensk.
俄♥罗♥斯♥城市二战时期德苏交战点
所以行李车的司机会留意崎岖的路面
So the wagon drivers looked out for especially rotted ground
接着快速驶过 由于路况颠簸
and then drove fast over it so that the wounded
伤员会在无人注意的情况下被颠下车
would be jolted off the wagons without anyone noticing.
一旦被颠下车掉了队 他们就会被冻死
Once left behind on the road, they froze to death.
这通常被认定是意外
This was understood to be an accident.
没人会回头”
Nobody looked back.”
没人会回头
Nobody looked back.
“我曾来过”
“I have been here before.”
什么
What’s that?
我的诗集 我应该这么称呼它
My anthology, that’s what I should call it.
我的想法是 无论你正在经历什么
The idea is whatever you’re going through,
一定有人已经经历过 并写成了文字
someone’s been through it before you, put it into words.
这是罗塞蒂的一首诗的第一句
It’s the first line of a poem by Rossetti.
英国十八世纪中期诗人
哪句
What is?
“我曾来过”
“I have been here before.”
杰米这周末过来
Jamie’s coming for the weekend.
杰米要来
Jamie’s coming?
对 周六午饭之后来
Some time after lunch on Saturday.
你怎么知道
How do you know?
我跟他在电♥话♥上说好了
We spoke on the phone.
他给你打电♥话♥了吗
He rang you?
为什么
Why?
告诉我他要过来
To say he was coming.
他为什么打电♥话♥给你
Why did he ring you?
我不知道
I don’t know.
他有时会打电♥话♥给我的
He does sometimes.
是吗
Does he?
杰米上次回家是什么时候
When was the last time Jamie came home?
是四月吧
April, was it?
他有他自己的生活
He’s got his own life to live.
“你好 我是凯莉
“Hi, it’s Kylie.
我现在没法接电♥话♥
I can’t come to the phone right now
请给我留言
but please leave me a message and I’ll
我会尽快回电♥话♥的”
call you back as soon as I can.”
喂 凯莉
Hi, Kylie.
是我 杰米
It’s Jamie.
我周末不在家
I’m away over the weekend.
我会在周日六点前回来
I’ll be back by 6:00 on Sunday.
如果你有空 我希望和你见一面
If you’re around, it’d be great to see you.
就这样 拜拜
OK, bye.
你好啊 陌生人
Hello, stranger.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!