人要如何得知未知的事
How does one come to know the unknowable?
人必须拥有何种能力
“What faculties must a man possess?
自从发现鲸油
“Since it was discovered that whale oil
能以空前未有的方式照亮城市
“could light our cities in ways never achieved before,
全球需求随之而起
“it created global demand.
迫使人类冒着愈来愈大的风险
“It has pushed man to venture further and further
进入未知的海域
“into the deep blue unknown.
大海深不可测
“We know not its depths,
也有多不胜数的生物
“nor the host of creatures that live there.
怪物
“Monsters.
它们是真实的吗
“Are they real?
或者那些故事的存在 只是让人类尊重大海的神秘
“Or do the stories exist only to make us respect the sea’s dark secrets?
白鲸传奇 怒海之心
南塔克岛 麻萨诸塞州 1850年2月
这个问题令我困惑又兴奋
“The question both vexes and excites me
因此我再度写信
“and is the reason I’ve written you a second time
要求见您
“to request a meeting.
与您对谈想必会使 我着手要写的
“A conversation with you, sir, I believe will serve me well
小说获益良多
“for the novel I intend to write,
目前书名暂订为”白鲸记”
“currently entitled Moby Dick.
希望您能重新考虑我的提议
“I hope you will reconsider my offer.
未知
“The unknown.
是我的想像力渴望探索之处
“That is where my imagination yearns to venture.
所以困扰我的问题依旧
“And so the question plagues me still.
人要如何得知未知的事
“How does a man come to know the unknowable?
敬启 赫尔曼梅尔维尔
“Sincerely, Herman Melville.”
我们打烊了
We’re closed.
八点之后不提供住宿
No boarders after 8:00.
致 梅尔维尔先生
你来了
You came.
亲爱的 你有客人
Someone here for you, my love.
汤姆尼可森
Tom Nickerson?
赫尔曼梅尔维尔
Herman Melville.
我们收到你的信
We received your letter.
你一定是无可救药或愚不可及
You’re either a desperate man
才会专程来南塔克岛
or a fool to come all the way to Nantucket.
我的提议仍有效
Well, my offer still stands.
三个月的住宿费换一晚的谈话
Three months’ lodgings for a single night’s talk.
那是我的所有财产了
All I have in the world.
但我宁可想成投资
But I prefer to think of it as an investment.
我想请教艾塞克斯号♥发生什么事
I want you to tell me what happened to the Essex.
你觉得呢
What do you think happened?
有一些传闻
There are rumblings.
-据说艾塞克斯号♥…-你想怎样
-Rumors that the Essex was… -What do you want?
你指望听到什么
What story do you expect to hear?
那只鲸鱼
That of the whale.
艾塞克斯号♥触礁 调查结案了
The Essex ran aground. There was a full inquiry.
我不相信调查结果是真♥相♥
I believe the inquiry was less than truthful.
出去
Get out.
你是仅存的艾塞克斯号♥生还者
You are the last survivor of the Essex, sir.
如果你不说 谁会说
If you won’t talk, who will?
你聋了吗 马上就滚
Did you not hear me? Leave. Now.
-不 拜托别走 -他不愿意谈话
-No. You mustn’t go. Please. -He is in no mind to talk.
我不是专程来受辱和浪费时间
And I haven’t come all this way to be humiliated and waste my time.
拜托 梅尔维尔先生
Please, Mr. Melville.
他不愿对我和任何人谈起此事
He won’t talk about the Essex to me.
从来没有 从不
To anyone. Never has. Never.
他痛苦不堪
There’s an agony about him.
他的心灵
His soul is
深受折磨
in torment,
需要告解
and in need of confession.
拜托 让我劝劝他
Please, just let me talk to him.
求你了
Please.
亲爱的
Love.
我相信跟他谈谈对你有益
I believe it would do you good to talk to the man.
免谈
No.
你给我听好
You listen well.
你发酒疯时是谁维持这个家
Who holds this place together while you drink yourself to death?
你得跟他谈
You will talk with this man
也有必要收下钱
as much as is necessary to keep the money.
你懂我们的处境 汤玛斯
You know our circumstances, Thomas.
我只会点到为止
Only as much as is necessary.
我去拿威士忌
I’ll get whiskey.
我在信里忘了提
I neglected to mention it in my letter,
但我也曾是猎鲸人
but I was a whaler once.
只出航一次
One trip, I mean.
嫩手
Green hand.
那你都见识过了
So, you’ve seen it all.
内人读了你的书
My wife read your books.
她很喜欢
She enjoyed them.
我很高兴听到
I’m happy to hear it.
我的书卖♥♥得不错
I’ve had good sales.
我想这个故事
And I think this story
可能超越我的
could surpass the success
第一本小说 那本相当畅销
of even my first novel, which did quite well.
你又想出一本航海奇谈
Another of your seafaring yarns?
你读过霍桑的书吗
Have you read Hawthorne, Mr. Melville?
那才算作家
Now there’s a writer.
伟大的作家
Great writer.
确实
He is.
但他不在这里 而我来了
But he is not here. And I am.
为了我个人的特殊理由
For my own particular reasons.
我会告诉你艾塞克斯号♥的事
I will tell you of the Essex.
我相信你会很失望
I believe you will be disappointed.
但我的一言一语绝对真实
But every word I say will be true.
艾塞克斯号♥的故事
Story of the Essex
是两个人的故事
is the story of two men.
船长乔治波拉德
Captain George Pollard
以及他的大副
and his first mate,
欧文契斯
Owen Chase.
欧文
Owen.
可别迟到了
You don’t wanna be late.
我会准时的
I’ll be there.
总不能让女儿睡在漏水屋檐下吧
Besides, can’t have our daughter sleeping under a leaky roof, can we?
你怎么确定是女儿
What makes you so sure it’s a girl?
非女儿不可
Well, it has to be.
才能提醒我
So she can remind me
为何仍爱着倔强的你
why I still love you when you’re being stubborn.
女儿的话会像你 不是我
Well, if it’s to be a daughter, she’ll be a version of you, not me.
一头金发 决心征服世界
Blond locks and determined to conquer the world.
今天之后
I suppose after today,
你会换上船长制♥服♥吧
you’ll be trading in that tunic for a uniform.
没错
That’s right.
终于能从茅屋
Finally out of this patch of dirt,
换到你才该住的船长豪♥宅♥
into a captain’s house like you deserve.
我不必搬进城跟古板人家为邻
I don’t need one of those houses in town with stuffy neighbors.
这间房♥子够我们三人住
There’s plenty of room here for the three of us.
有时你的好心和善良
You know, sometimes your kind heart and good nature
令人招架不住
is just unbearable.
去领你的船长头衔吧
Go get your captaincy.
-你出价多少 -一点九元
-What’s your bid? -I’ll have $1.90.
-已经有人出价两元 -我买♥♥四十股
-I’ve got 1,000 gallons at $2! -I’ll take 40 shares!
抹香鲸
卖♥♥家 这里喊价
Seller! Seller! Over here!
标准号♥丰收而返一千六百桶
Criterion’s back with a fine haul. 1,600 barrels.
刷新纪录
A new record.
伦敦市场的鲸蜡涨到五十英磅
£50 sterling for head matter on the London market.
恭喜
Congratulations.
-早安 契斯先生 -梅森先生
-Good morning, Mr. Chase. -Mr. Mason.
请进
Come in, please.
我的合伙人班杰明福勒
My partner, Benjamin Fuller.
早安 先生
Good morning, sir.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
前一篇文章丹麦女孩
下一篇文章细细的蓝线
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!