1940年 年仅24岁的奥森·威尔斯 被处境艰难的雷电华电影公♥司♥招至好莱坞
并签署了一份与他过人的叙事才华相称的合约
他被给予绝对创作自♥由♥ 不受任何监管 并能拍摄任意题材的电影
且合作对象任他指定
曼克
维克托维尔 37公里
北弗迪农场
外景 维克托维尔 度假农场 白天 1940年
没关系 我自己能走 不用帮忙
It’s all right. I’ve got this. I’m good.

Here.
我叫人把东西安置到了客厅
I had them set you up out here
这样你就不会太受限制
so you wouldn’t feel quite so confined.
女士们住两间卧室
The ladies will scandalize the neighborhood
这想必会震惊街坊邻里
by occupying both bedrooms.
我会住在镇上一家田园风情的水疗店
I will be staying in town at a bucolic spa called,
说出来你可能不信 名叫”从军记水疗店”
if you can believe it, the Shoulder Arms.
与查理·卓别林的电影《从军记》同名
我会在那里改稿
I will do my editing there.
你也知道
As you know,
芙蕾达小姐不仅是护士 她还是理疗师
Fraulein Freda is not only a nurse and physical therapist,
在她的祖国学的是营养学
she studied nutrition back in the old country.
-是吗 亲爱的小姐 -是的 豪斯曼先生
– Ja, liebes Fräulein? – Jawohl, Herr Houseman.
这里禁酒
It’s a dry house.
农场主人不允许住客喝酒
The owner of the ranch doesn’t permit alcohol.
但你是宾州人
But you’re from Pennsylvania.
一定习惯了
You’re no doubt used to it.
救场的来了
Saved by the proverbial bell.
麻烦放在这里
Set it here, please.
小心 小心
And, uh, careful. Careful.
谢谢
Thank you.
看好了
Observe.
你一定会拼尽全力下床拿到它
Naturally, you’ll do your damnedest to get at it.
等你完成初稿
By the time you finish the first draft,
也就是90天后 依这个运动量
which is to say, in 90 days,
你应该都能成为世界级的短跑健将了
you should be a world-class sprinter.
瑞塔 过来好吗
Rita, come in here, will you?
这是亚历山大夫人
This is Mrs. Alexander.
她一分钟能打100个词
She types 100 perfect words a minute
还能像先知一样记录口述
and takes dictation like a clairvoyant.
瑞塔·亚历山大 赫尔曼·曼凯维奇
Rita Alexander, Herman Mankiewicz.
你好吗 曼凯维奇先生
How do you do, Mr. Mankiewicz?
这得画个问号♥
That’s a big question.
因为你喜欢在夜里创作
Well, since you like working nights,
瑞塔过的是伦敦时间
Rita here runs on London time.
她丈夫是一名英国皇家空军的英勇飞行员
Her husband is one of our bold lads in the RAF.
开的是…什么来着 瑞塔
Flies… What is it, Rita?
-喷火式战斗机吗 -飓风战斗机
– Spitfires? – Hurricanes.
-值得同情 我为你祈祷 -你说什么
– My sympathy and prayers. – I beg your pardon?
毕竟轴心国开的是BF109型战斗机
Given the speed, climb, and turning radius
它的速度 爬升率和转弯半径…
of the Messerschmitt Bf 109…
但愿我们用不着你的同情 曼凯维奇先生
I hope we won’t need your sympathy, Mr. Mankiewicz.
祷告与作战我们都能胜任
We’ll do the praying and the fighting.
我每周会与奥森见面 汇报我们的进展
I will meet with Orson weekly. Keep him to date on our progress.
我们的期望很高
We’re expecting great things.
那个编剧是怎么说的 “讲述你了解的故事”
What is it the writer says? “Tell the story you know.”
我可不认识那个编剧
I don’t know that writer.
你好
Hello.
是的 他就在这里
Yes. Yes, he’s right here.
你要的东西应该都准备了
Well, you should have everything.
要是落了什么 你可以写在写字板上
If I’ve forgotten, there’s a clipboard.
-你好 -他们去叫他了
– Yes? Hello? – They’re getting him.
我们的神童确实有拿捏时机的天赋
Our wunderkind does have the gift of theatrical timing.
奥森 你好 我们刚到
Orson, hello. We just got in.
-你好 -曼克
– Hello. – Mank!
豪斯曼说你现在任我们差遣了
Houseman tells me we have you just where we want you.
我真走运
Lucky me.
-你的腿怎么样 -大腿骨和髋骨接上了
– How’s the leg? – “Thigh bone’s connected to the hip bone.”
好极了
Excellent.
准备好去猎杀大白鲸了吗
Ready and willing to hunt the great white whale?
出自名著《白鲸》
你就叫我亚哈船长吧
Just call me Ahab.
我听说我们有90天时间
I understand we’ve 90 days.
改成60天吧
Let’s aim for 60.
他刚砍了一个月时间
He’s just cut a month.
我以前在水星剧院五天就能给你写完
I used to do it in five for you at the Mercury.
这也太悠闲了吧
This is leisurely.
-先定60天 到时候再商量 -最喜欢打商量了
– Sixty days, and then we can noodle. – Nothing like a good noodle.
你砍掉30天时间
Is the reason you lopped 30 days
是腾时间让雷电华的法务审批吗
to run it past the RKO legal?
我不是和你说过了吗 曼克
I thought I told you, Mank.
我有最终剪辑权 最终一切权
I have final cut, final everything.
没有制片厂从中插足
There are no studio notes.
出了问题只能怪我们自己
We’ll have no one but ourselves to blame.
-60天然后再商量 -威尔斯先生 准备好了
– Sixty days and a noodle. – Mr. Welles, we’re ready.
我得走了 要去给《黑暗的心》试镜
Gotta run. I’m doing tests for Heart of Darkness.
少来了 小约·康拉德
Oh, little that, lesser Joe Conrad.
约瑟夫·康拉德是《黑暗的心》原著作者
如果有人问起 就说你在改编剧本
If anyone should ask, tell ’em you’re adapting.
你不了解这个阳光普照的臭水沟 朋友
Oh, you don’t know this sun-bleached sewer here, my friend.
在好莱坞的中心放个屁
Break wind at Hollywood and Vine,
圣莫尼卡的制片人就能闻到味儿
and a producer in Santa Monica reports a ruptured main.
我确实不了解这地方 暂时还不了解
No, I don’t know this burgh, not yet.
我在精神上与你同在 曼克
I’m toiling with you in spirit, Mank.
怎么没听到打字声
And I don’t hear any typing.
没交待什么
No notes.
然后他就满了24岁
And then he turns 24.
身陷囹圄
Trapped.
内景 曼凯维奇家 夜晚 几周前
我帮你把衣服脱了
Let me take off these clothes.
我刚达到完美的平衡 他们就让我走人了
They let me go just as I achieved perfect equilibrium.
我不愿意跟片场一半的制片人合作
I won’t work with half the producers on the lot,
而另一半不愿意跟我合作
and the other half won’t work with me.
这是什么 赛马报道吗
What’s this, a racing form?
不要看 不要学
You stop reading, you stop learning.
别动
Hold still.
躺好
Lay back.
请给我点根烟
Cigarette, please.
赫米 你要是对着火柴哈口气
Hermie, if a match gets anywhere near your breath,
你身上都会起火
you’ll burst into flames.
连那条狗的名字都难听得要命
Even the dog’s name is awful.
听着还以为是个日本男仆呢
Sounds like a Japanese houseboy.
记住我说的 莎拉
You mark my words, Sara.
《绿野仙踪》会搞垮那家制片厂
The Wizard of Oz is gonna sink that studio.
睡吧 你明天还要开车去纽约
Sleep. You’re driving to New York tomorrow.
还记得你以前从东部坐火车吗
Remember when you used to take the train from back East?
我则会在阿尔伯克基偷偷溜上车
I’d sneak aboard in Albuquerque
然后裸着身子爬进你的隔间
and climb into your compartment naked.
我还记得我在柏林度过蜜月
I also remember how I spent my honeymoon in Berlin,
妓♥女♥们整晚在楼梯间跑上跑下的
with hookers running up and down the stairs all night
就因为我家那位潇洒的记者住不起好酒店
because my dashing correspondent couldn’t afford a nice hotel.
那些日子真是美好啊
Weren’t those the days?
是啊 那些夜晚也不赖
Yeah, yeah, and the nights weren’t bad either.
-施努兹 -最后一次理你 怎么了
– Schnutz. – For the last time, what?
-这是哪一年 -赫尔曼
– What year is it? – Herman…
-我本该有所成就的 -赫米
– I should have done something by now. – Oh, Hermie…
给我个指示吧 上帝
Give me a sign, oh, Lord.
我就像您的仆人摩西 不过我不会那么廉价
I am as your servant Moses, though I won’t work half as cheap.
快睡吧 小傻子
Go to sleep, meshuggener.
-施努兹 -又怎么了
– Schnutz? – What?
你为什么这么迁就我
Why do you put up with me?
我也不知道
I don’t know.
前院的灌木
That bush in the front yard,
如果今晚着火了 你能告诉我一声吗
if it catches fire tonight, you will let me know?
你可是无所不知
I mean, you know all kinds of things.
五音步抑扬格 伟大诗人的诗句
Iambic pentameter, the words of the great poets.
她这样签名是什么意思呢 “永远的 艾瑟尔”
What about the way she signed it? “Always, Ethel.”

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!