– 你们都知道那是爸爸的报纸 – 噢查莉是我的错, 我在玩个小游戏
– You know that’s father’s paper. – It’s my fault. I was playing a game.
– 不知道那是你♥爸♥爸的报纸 – 噢没什么
– Didn’t think about it as Joe’s pap. – Oh, that’s alright.
第一页第五页 第八页…
Here’s page one, five… eight.
– 第三和第四页在哪里? – 我们没碰过啊
– What did you do with three and four? – We never touched it.
只有查理叔叔碰过
Really. Uncle Charlie ‘ s the only one that touched it.
应该没什么的
Oh, well. I guess it’s all right.
放整齐一点 爸爸可能看不出来
If I fold it very neatly, maybe he won ‘ t notice.
请进
Come in.
– 我给你拿了些水
I brought you water.
– 谢谢你
Oh, thank you, Charlie. That’s very thoughtful of you.
祝你好梦
Pleasant dreams.
– 查理叔叔
Uncle Charlie…
我知道了一些你以为我不知道的秘密 什么秘密?
– I know a secret you don’t think I know. – What secret?
记得我说过不要隐藏什么 因为我会发现的吗?
Remember I said you couldn’t hide anything from me because I’d find it out?
现在我知道今晚的报纸 和你是有关系的
Well, now I know there was something in the evening paper about you.
– 和我有关? – 是的
About me in the evening paper?
所以你才和 安妮和罗杰玩那游戏
And that’s why you played that game with Ann and Roger.
你不想我们知道 并把报纸撕掉了
You didn’t want us to know and you wanted to tear the paper.
我想你应该告诉我吧
Now I know. You might as well tell me.
被你捉到了查莉
Well, you’ve got me there, Charlie.
并不完全和我有关只是…
Only it wasn’t about me. It was about, uh…
我以前认识的某人
someone I used to know.
看看!
There!
那不关你的事!
It’s none of your business.
噢查理叔叔 你弄痛我了
Oh! Uncle Charlie, you’re hurting me.
噢查莉你的手
– Oh, Charlie. – Your hands.
查莉我无意弄痛你的
Charlie, I didn’t mean to hurt you.
我是玩着的
I was just fooling.
那只是…一些流言
It was nothing. Just… Just some gossip.
是我以前的朋友的绯闻
Not very pretty, about someone I once met up with.
不适合你们看的
Not for you to read.
忘记它吧
Forget it.
– 晚安小查莉 – 晚安查理叔叔好梦
– Good night, young Charlie. – Good night. Pleasant dreams.
– 查理叔叔会逗留多久? – 他不走就好了
– How long is Uncle Charlie staying? – Forever, I hope.
他自己没有屋子吗?
Hasn’t he got a house of his own?
既然你现在来这里了 我希望…
Not that I mind you in here,
可以保留一点隐私
but I never can tell when I’ll want some privacy.
你还是睡觉吧小宝贝
You better go to sleep, baby.
– 祈祷了吗? – 我忘记了
– You said your prayers? – I forgot.
还是祈祷吧
You better say them.
我即将睡觉 希望上帝…
I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep –
– 别说太说很晚了 – 带走我的心灵
– Don’t bless too many people. It’s late. – I pray the Lord my soul to take.
愿上帝保佑我妈妈爸爸 还有总统…
God bless Mama, Papa, Captain Midnight, Veronica Lake and the president –
– 亲爱的你这样说没完没了啊 – 还有查理叔叔阿门
– You can’t say them all tonight, dear. – Oh, and Uncle Charlie. Amen.
– 准备好吃早餐了吗? – 噢是咖啡啊艾玛
– All ready for breakfast? – Oh, coffee, Emmy.
我不知道你怎么会 喜欢在床上吃东西
I don’t know how you do it. Now, I’m never comfortable eating in bed.
孩子们回来之后 我有时也会在床上吃…
I had to have my meals in bed for a while
但我不喜欢那样
after the children came, but I never liked it.
早上我不知道该做什么好 说话前也要先喝一杯咖啡
I can’t face the world in the morning. I must have coffee before I can speak.
我不介意纵容你一下
Well, I don’t mind pampering you your first morning,
但我想你在镇是唯一 在十点半吃早餐的人了
but I think you’re the only person in this town to have breakfast at 10:30.
你还在睡的时候 报社的人说想来做个访问
And while you were sleeping, the newspaper called up for an interview.
访问我?
With me?
我参加的那个妇女 俱乐部希望你去做一次演讲
And the women’s club I belong to wants you to give a little talk.
妇女俱乐部
Women’s club.
噢你还没把东西放好啊 我帮你吧
Oh! Oh, you haven’t finished unpacking. I’ll do that for you.
– 查莉去哪里了? – 她在屋子里团团转像傻了一样
– Where ‘ s Charlie? – She’s running around like a mad thing.
她觉得什么都需要修理一下
She thinks everything needs fixing.
我告诉你 你可不是这里唯一的名人
But what I wanted to tell you was that you’re not the only celebrity in this town.
牛顿一家都成为了镇里的 关注焦点你想说什么?
– We’re all going to be in limelight. – What are you cooking up?
今天早上来的那个 叫格翰的年轻人…
Well, a young man called this morning, said his name was Graham,
想采访我们家里的
and he wants to interview everybody in this house.
– 采访所有人? – 他是那样说的
– Interview everybody? – That’s what he said.
他说是什么委员会派他来…
He’s being sent around the country by some kind of institute or committee
挑选有代表性的 美国家庭来访问
and he has to pick a representative American family and ask them questions.
像是一种调查 国家公众调查
It’s a kind of a poll. It’s called the National Public Survey.
为什么他要选这个家庭呢?
Wonder how he happened to pick this family?
他说要挑选有 代表性的美国家庭
Well, he said he wanted a typical American family.
我告诉他我们不是的
I told him we weren’t a typical American family.
如果他们问我的事情 我就不会回答他们
If he’s going to ask a lot of questions, he can leave me out of it.
噢你的事情 我们也说不详细啊
Oh, but you could tell him so much more than any of us could.
– 他说还要拍照片 – 拍照片
– He’s going to take our pictures too. – Pictures.
噢多么漂亮啊
My, isn’t that lovely?
他们两个都是很年轻的
You see, there were really, there were two young men.
一个负责拍照
One of them takes the pictures.
– 噢还有两个人啊 – 是的格翰先生为人好一点
– Oh, there were two. – Yes. Mr Graham was the nicest.
他说我们不必打扮的
Oh, he doesn’t want us to dress up or anything.
– 他就想我们像往常一样
He just wants us to act the way we always do.
– 艾玛女人都是很笨的 – 她们总会坏事
Emmy, women are fools. They’d fall for anything.
为什么你会让 两个陌生人进屋里捣乱?
Why do you let two strangers come and turn this place upside down.
哪个家庭会欢迎 那些窥探者呢?
Why expose the family to a couple of snoopers?
– 你应该警觉一点 – 查理我只是…
– You should have more sense. – Why, Charles, I –
– 早安查理叔叔 – 早安查莉
– Good morning, Uncle Charlie. – Good morning, Charlie.
你妈妈说牛顿家 被一些小毛孩选中了
Your mother says the Newtons have been picked for all-American suckers.
– 你怎么认为? – 他们来的时候查莉不在
– What do you know about it? – Charlie wasn’t here when they came.
但是格翰先生的行为… 一点也不像是窥探
But really, the way Mr Graham told it, it wasn’t like snooping at all.
那是公民的责任 是政♥府♥的需要
It was our duty as citizens. It’s something the government wants.
政♥府♥?可能不太准确 但那是为了公众利益
– Government? – Well, it’s for the public good.
当我告诉他们你曾去过 哪些地方时他们很感兴趣
I told them about you andtheplaces you’ve been and he was very interested.
艾玛我与此事是无关的
Now, listen, Emmy. I’ll have nothing to do with this.
我只是来探望你们 我建议你请他们吃闭门羹吧
I’m just a visitor here and my advice to you is to slam the door in his face.
噢我不能这样做啊
Oh. Well, I-I couldn’t do that.
如果你不想的话 可以不见他们的
But you don’t have to meet him if you don’t want to.
我觉得那很有意思啊
Well, I think I’d be kind of exciting.
他拿你的照片 也没什么作用啊
He’d take your photograph and then we could have it for nothing.
不了我这一生都没拍过照 我也不想拍照
No thank you. I’ve never been photographed and I don’t want to be.
噢查理 你怎么可以这样说呢?
Oh, Charles, how can you talk that way?
我有你的照片 给查莉保管着
I had a photograph of you. I gave it to Charlie.
– 我说过没有啊 – 我想你忘记了
I tell you, there are none. I guess you’ve forgotten this one.
去拿吧查莉
Get it, Charlie.
你真的记不起来吗?
You sure you don’t remember?
被人拍下来的我 当然记不起来
Of course I don’t ever remember being photographed.
本翰大街46号♥
46 Burnham Street.
那自行车是你的圣诞礼物
Mm-hm. It was taken the Christmas you got your bicycle.
– 那时就在你出意外之前 – 查理叔叔你很可爱啊
– Just before your accident. – Uncle Charlie, you were beautiful.
是吧?他那时很文静 喜欢读书
Wasn’t he, though? And such a quiet boy. Always reading.
爸爸不应该给你买♥♥那自行车的 你不懂怎么骑
Papa shouldn’t have got you that bicycle. You didn’t know how to handle it.
他在冰滑的路上骑车 并撞到了电车
He took it right out on the icy road and skidded into a streetcar.
我们以为他不行了 幸好他没事
– We thought he was going to die. – I’m glad he didn’t.
那真的很险头骨也裂了 躺了很久
He almost did. He fractured his skull, and he was laid up so long.
然后他慢慢康复了
And then, when he was getting well, there was no holding him.
之后的事情对他来说 似乎太不足够了…
And it was just as though all the rest he had was too much for him
他开始变得淘气起来
and he had to get into mischief to blow off steam.
那事之后 他再也没怎么读书了
He didn’t do much reading after that, let me tell you.
他在意外养伤的时候 就已经读够了
It was taken the very day he had his accident.
不久之后这张照片拿了回家 妈妈哭得很厉害
A few days later when the pictures came home, how mama cried.
担心他的样子 和为人会不会变了
She wondered if he’d ever look the same. She wondered if he’d ever be the same.
回顾过去有什么用? 展望未来又有什么用?
What’s the use of looking backward? What’s the use of looking ahead?
今天才是关键 那就是我的哲学今天
Today’s the thing. That’s my philosophy. Today.
如果这样那你就 应该快点把早餐吃完…
If today’s the thing, then you’d better finish your breakfast
然后赶快去银行 祖在等你呢
and get down to the bank because Joe’ll be waiting.
查莉你不要迟到啊 做调查的人四点就来了
Charlie, don’t be late back. The survey men are coming at 4:00.
– 你好查莉 – 你好梅芝
– Good morning, Charlie. – Hello, Madge.
– 你好查莉 – 你好卡芙琳
– Good morning, Charlie. – Hello, Catherine.
看到她们怎么看你的吗? 一定很想知道你是谁
Did you see the way they looked at you? I bet they wonder who you are.
噢查理叔叔我想和你说话 大家都在看着我
Uncle Charlie, I love to walk with you. I want everybody to see you.
爸爸就在那个窗口
There’s Papa in that window over there.
祖挪用公♥款♥的事 晚些再忙好吗?
Hello, Joe. Can you stop embezzling a minute and give me your attention?
噢…
Oh, uh…
查理我们在这里 不开那种玩笑的
Charles, we don’t joke about such things here.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!