我能陪伴你吗
May I accompany you?
既然我们走的是同一个方向
Since we walk in the same direction.
我宁愿独自一个人走
I prefer to walk alone.
让我自我介绍 – 我知道你是谁
May I introduce myself? – I know who you are.
那么…
Ah. Then–
请让我独自一个人走
Kindly allow me to go on my way alone.
请别告诉任何人在这里见过我
And please tell no one that you have seen me in this place.
“伍德拉夫小姐”
“Miss Woodruff.”
等一下 我不知道在哪里
Wait a minute. I lost the place.
第50页
Page 50.
我突然看见你 你的衣服被荆棘勾住
I suddenly see you. You’ve got your dress caught in the brambles.
我看见你 然后你看见我
I see you, then you see me.
我们互相凝视 接着我说:“伍德拉夫小姐”
We look at each other, and then I say “Miss Woodruff.”
好啦
All right.
对 我看见你
Right. I see you.
你的衣服被荆棘勾住
Get your coat caught in the brambles.

Right.
现在我看着你
Now I’m looking at you.
你看着我
You see me.
“伍德拉夫小姐” – 我在看着你
Miss Woodruff. – I’m looking at you.
但现在你朝着我走过来要穿越我
But now you come towards me to pass me.
路很窄又泥泞 你滑进泥里…
It’s a narrow path, and it’s muddy. You slip in the mud.

Ow.
我扶你起来
And I help you up.
我们再来一次 好吗 – 好吧
Let’s just do it again, okay? – All right.
我们再来一次
Let’s just do it again.
好吧…
All right.
我的衣服被荆棘勾住
I’ve got my dress caught in the brambles.
突然你看见我
Suddenly you see me.
然后我看见你
I see you.
“伍德拉夫小姐”
Miss Woodruff.
我很担心如果你哪天像这样
I dread to think, Miss Woodruff, what would happen…
在这里摔伤脚踝要怎么办
if you should one day turn your ankle in a place like this.
我得回去
I must go back.
请允许我先告诉你
Permit me to say something to you first.
我知道我是个陌生人 不过…
I know I am a stranger to you, but–
来这 在这有缝隙 过来
Down here, in this hollow. Yes. Come on.
这里…
Here. Here.
你不必躲藏
It’s really not necessary to hide.
跟莱姆的淫♥荡♥♥女♥人在一起
No gentleman who cares for his good name…
会影响你的名誉
can be seen with the scarlet woman of Lyme.
伍德拉夫小姐
Miss Woodruff.
我听说过你的遭遇
I’ve heard something of your– your circumstances.
受雇于普特尼夫人并不会令你合意
It cannot be any great pleasure being in Mrs. Poulteney’s employ.
你为什么不离开莱姆呢
Why don’t you leave Lyme?
我知道你有优秀的资历
I understand you have excellent qualifications.
我很乐意帮你在伦敦找工作
I should be happy to make inquiries for you in London.
我不能离开这里
I cannot leave this place.
为什么
But why?
我相信你没有家庭束缚 将你局限在多塞特郡
You have no family ties, I believe, that confine you to Dorset.
我有束缚
I have ties.
是那位法国绅士吗
To this French gentleman?
请允许我坚持 这些事就像伤口
Permit me to insist. These things are like wounds.
不予理会就会溃烂
If no one dares speak of them, they fester.
如果他不回来…他就不值得你苦等
If he doesn’t return, he was not worthy of you.
如果他回来… – 他不会回来
If he returns– – He will never return.
你怕他不会回来
You fear he will never return?
我知道他不会回来
I know he will never return.
我不明白你的话
I do not take your meaning.
他是有妇之夫
He is married.
我早该听从我自己的常识
I should have listened to the dictates of my own common sense.
你是个狡滑邪恶的家伙
You are a cunning, wicked creature.
我能知道我犯了什么错吗
May I know of what I am accused?
你被人看见在安德克立夫崖上行走
You have been seen walking on the Undercliff.
不只两次 而是三次
Not twice, but thrice.
不过…这有什么罪过
But what, pray, is the sin in that?
罪过
The sin?
你一个单身女子去那种地方
You, a young woman alone in such a place?
那里只不过是树林
It is nothing but a large wood.
我很清楚那个地方 我知道常去那里的是哪种人
I know very well what it is and what goes on there the sort of person who frequents it.
我去那里只是想独自清静一下
No one frequents it. I go there to be alone.
你想和我作对吗
Do you contradict me, miss?
你不能去那种地方
You will confine your walks to where it is seemly.
你听明白了吗
Do I make myself clear?
午安 普特尼夫人 – 好的
Good afternoon, Mrs. Poulteney. – Yes.
伍德拉夫小姐 – 午安
Miss Woodruff. – Good afternoon.
就是那个普特尼夫人
It’s that Mrs. Poulteney.
她是谁 – 就是她把我踢出到街道上
Who’s that? – The one who kicked me out in the street.
是吗 在她茶里下毒吧
Is it? Poison her tea.
伍德拉夫小姐
Ah, now, Miss Woodruff.
很高兴见到你
It is a pleasure to meet you.
你喜欢莱姆吗
Are you liking Lyme?
谢谢你 夫人 喜欢
Um, thank you, ma’am. Yes.
你是在外地出生吗
Were you born far from Lyme?
在多切斯特
In Dorchester, ma’am.
离这里不远
It is not very far.
茶来了 谢谢你 玛莉
Ah. Tea. Thank you, Mary.
好的
Good.
就放在那里
Just there.
你会在莱姆住多久 费里曼小姐
How long will you remain in Lyme, Miss Freeman?
整个夏季
Oh. For the summer.
普特尼夫人 你的气色很好
I must say, Mrs. Poulteney, you look exceedingly well.
在我这个年纪 精神健康最重要
At my age, Miss Freeman, spiritual help is all that counts.
那我就不必为你担心了
Then I have no fears for you.
世风日下…
With gross disorders on the streets…
保护一个人信仰的神圣变得更加必要
it becomes ever more necessary to protect the sacredness of one’s beliefs.
世风日下 普特尼夫人
Gross disorders on the streets, Mrs. Poulteney?
没错 史密森先生
Certainly, Mr. Smithson.
即使是像你这样的达尔文门徒…
Even a disciple of Darwin– such as I understand you to be–
也能注意到关于我们的兽♥性♥高涨
could not fail to notice the rise of the animal about us.
这无疑能让你高兴…
It no doubt pleases you…
因为这将会符合 你们的“人类都是猿猴”的观点
since it would accord with your view that we’re all monkeys.
普特尼夫人 下次我上街时
I must look more closely into it, Mrs. Poulteney
我会更留意这一点的
the next time I find myself on the street.
请让我帮你 川特夫人 – 谢谢
Oh, please allow me to help you, Mrs. Tranter. – Thank you.
以你的女仆为例 川特夫人
Your maid, for example, Mrs. Tranter.
我管家说今早看见她
I have been informed by my housekeeper…
和一位青年谈话
that she saw her only this morning talking with a person– a young person.
那人我管家从没见过
My housekeeper did not know him.
喔 那无疑是我的仆人山姆
Oh, then it was no doubt Sam, my servant.
也许是
Very likely.
是的 我必须说 查尔斯…
Yes, I must say, Charles…
你的仆人花太多时间和玛莉谈天了
your servant spends an inordinate amount of his time talking to Mary.
那有什么危害呢
And what is the harm in that?
这里的风俗和伦敦存在天壤之别
There is a world of difference between what may be accepted in London and what is proper here.
但我不明白山姆和玛莉谈天有何罪过
But I do not understand what crime Mary and Sam by talking appear to commit?
你的未婚妻比你更懂得
Your future wife is a better judge than you are…
判断这些事
of these things, Mr. Smithson.
我认识那个女孩子
I know the girl in question.
我曾经解雇她
I had to dismiss her.
如果你年纪够大 你就会知道 对这种事不会太严厉的
If you were older, you would know that one cannot be too strict in such matters.
你的人生经验丰富令我折服
I bow to your far greater experience, madam.
我在这里
I’m here.
多谢你来
Thank you for coming.
谢谢
Thank you.
你怎么敢用这样无礼行为和专横的方式
How did you dare to behave in so impertinent and presumptuous a manner?
你竟敢在费里曼小姐面前那样做
How dare you do such a thing in front of Miss Freeman.
我没有其他人可以求助
I had no one else to turn to.
我很显然不适宜
Well, it must be quite obvious it would be most improper…
卷入这件事
for me to interest myself further in your circumstances.