——对吗?-我当然喜欢。
– Do you? – Well, of course I do.
一件龌龊的细节,约翰爵士。
A sordid matter of details, sir John.
好吗?
Well?
斯特拉顿第一次成功实验的日记。
Stratton’s diary of his first successful experiment.
日期9月15日。
Date, September 15th.
斯特拉顿和伯恩利先生的合同。
Stratton’s contract with mr birnley.
目前为止,10月1日。
Date, October 1st.
约翰爵士……
Sir John…
我想他已经在来的路上了,但是…我去确认一下。
I expect he’s on his way to us now, but, er… I’ll just make sure.
工作委员会?对不起,伯恩利先生很忙。
The works committee? I’m sorry, mr birnley’s busy.
不。不,不,不,真的,我现在不能打断他。
No. No, no, no, really, I can’t interrupt him now.
不!不!戴维森,等等!你不能去那里!
No! No! Mr Davidson, wait! You can’t go there!
呃…约翰爵士,kierlaw。克兰福德先生。
Er… sir John, kierlaw. Mr cranford.
-你好吗?——先生做手脚。
– How do you do? – Mr mannering.
-你好吗?-柯兰先生,你当然知道。
– How do you do? – Mr corland you know, of course.
先生们,这位是斯特拉顿先生。
This is mr Stratton, gentlemen.
——这是什么?-新合同。
– What’s this? – A new contract.
签了吧,年轻人。
Sign it, young man.
旧的有什么问题吗?
What was wrong with the old one?
这可是件大事,西德尼。对于一个工厂来说太大了。
Well, this is a big thing, Sidney. Too big for one mill.
所以我决定把其他的绅士也请来。
And so I decided it was necessary to bring in these other gentlemen.
我明白了。
I see.
是吗?
Yes?
“伯恩利先生,是工程委员会的人。他们说……”
‘Mr birnley, it’s the works committee. They say…’
-不,不,我很忙——“急事!
– no, no, I’m busy. – “It’s urgent!
-是关于斯特拉顿先生的。“——伯恩利先生一会儿就会见他们。
– ‘It’s about mr Stratton.’ – Mr birnley will see them later.
我想一切都安排妥当了。
I think it’s all in order.
谢谢。
Thanks.
——哦。这是巧妙的。5月1日吗?——当然。
– Oh. That’s ingenious. May 1? – Of course.
多少汽油和多少墨水?
How much petrol as against how much ink?
我真的不知道。
I really don’t know.
只有一件事。威尔逊,我的助理。
There’s just one thing. Wilson, my assistant.
他在这件事上帮了很大的忙,我希望他能得到一些功劳。
He’s been a great help on this, I’d like him to get some of the credit.
当然可以。我们都认识到威尔逊先生的贡献的价值。
Of course. We all realise the value of mr Wilson’s contribution.
我是说,研究结果公布的时候,我希望能提到他的名字。
I mean, when the results are published, I’d like his name to be mentioned.
当然,出版可能会有一点延迟。
There may be a little delay in publication, of course.
延迟?哦。
Delay? Oh.
为什么?
Why?
你看,西德尼,我们得等到合适的时机。
You see, Sidney, we have to wait till the right moment.
为什么不是现在呢?
Why not now?
立即宣布可能会破坏市场微妙的平衡。
To announce it right away might upset the delicate balance of the market.
会吗?但是当你开始卖♥♥这些东西的时候会发生什么呢?
Would it? But what happens when you begin to sell the stuff?
把这些问题留给我们,斯特拉顿先生。签了文件就行了。
Leave these problems to us, mr Stratton. Just sign the document.
约翰爵士说得对,西德尼。
Sir John’s right, Sidney.
-你们在进行生产吗?-西德尼,我…
– You are going ahead with production? – Well, Sidney, I…
-我想仔细考虑一下。-年轻人,过来。
– I’d like to think this over. – Young man, come here.
我们需要控制这个发现。完全控制。
We need control of this discovery. Complete control.
如果你想要合同金额的两倍,我们会支付。
If you want twice the amount in that contract, we will pay it.
– 25万-压抑它?
– A quarter of a million. – To suppress it?
是的。
Yes.
原谅我。
Excuse me.
等等!现在你们都听着!
Wait! Now listen, all of you!
西德尼!西德尼!
Sidney! Sidney!
阻止他!
Stop him!
这太过分了!不,不,等等。等等,请等等,你们所有人。
This is too much! No, no, no, wait. Wait, please, wait, all of you.
——“什么事,伯恩利先生?”-西德尼,不,不!
– ‘Yes, mr birnley?” – Sidney, no, no!
-你说什么,伯恩利先生?-约翰逊小姐,有个房♥间…阻止他!
– I beg your pardon, mr birnley? – Miss Johnson, there’s a room… Stop him!
停止!
Stop that!
看这里。你不能…嘿!
Look here. You can’t… hey!
半分钟!
Half a minute!
阻止他!阻止他!阻止他!
Stop him! Stop him! Stop him!
看在上帝份上,拦住他!
For goodness sake, stop him!
阻止他。他不能离开磨坊——我们怎样才能阻止他呢?——通过武力。
Stop him. He he mustn’t leave the mill – how can we stop him? – By force.
——用武力?——如何?
– By force? – How else?
我不会诉诸暴♥力♥。
I will not resort to violence.
如果他卖♥♥给别人,他会毁了我们所有人。
If he sells to anybody else, he ruins us all.
那我们得跟那孩子讲道理。
Then we must reason with the boy.
他不在这里,我们怎么跟他讲道理?
How can we reason with him when he’s not here?
是的,先生?
Yes, sir?
这样,先生们。
This way, gentlemen.
哦,我很抱歉。错了地板!
Oh, I’m sorry. Wrong floor!
他没事吧?
Is he all right?
——是的。——遗憾。
– Yes. – Pity.
有他的消息吗?
Any news of him?
他在伯恩利。
He’s up at birnley’s.
我怎么跟你说的?就在他们的口袋里。
What did I tell you? Right in their pocket.
你没有权利那样说话。也许他无法控制自己。
You’ve no right to talk like that. Perhaps he can’t help himself.
-他们说他头痛。-是的,一英里外。
– They say he had a headache. – Aye, sticks out a mile.
伯恩利不愿见工委,希德也不敢见我们。
Birnley won’t see the works committee and sid can’t face us.
在那里。
There.
-斯特拉顿先生住在这里?-是的,但是,呃…现在他要和伯恩利先生住在一起。
– Mr Stratton lives here? – Yes, but, er… Now he’s going to live with mr birnley.
我来取他的行李。还有,给你两周的房♥租。
I’ve come to collect his baggage. Also, to give you two weeks’ rent.
现在谁是对的呢?就像我告诉你的那样。
Now who’s right? It’s just as I told you.
坐在他们的大腿上。
Sitting right in their laps.
好吧,给我一些数字。下降到什么?
Well, give me some figures. Fallen to what?
4697年?
4697?
不,不,不。不,不卖♥♥。
No, no, no, no. No, don’t sell.
不,当然不是。里面没有一句是真的。
No, of course not. There’s not a word of truth in it.
是的,是的。我将……在这里等候进一步通知。
Yes, yes. I’ll be on… On here till further notice.
好吧,这只是个开始。
Well, that’s just the beginning.
你好,是的吗?
Hello, yes?
是吗?加尔各答?明天会一落千丈。
Yeah? Calcutta? Tomorrow’ll be a nosedive.
就因为这些谣言。这是荒谬的。一定是漏水了。
Just on these rumours. It’s absurd. There must have been a leakage.
-第一个是你开始的!-责怪我是没有用的。
– Well, you started the first one! – It’s no good blaming me for this.
约翰爵士是正确的!让我们直奔主题吧。好吧,让他接电♥话♥。
Sir John’s right! Let’s keep to the point. All right, put him on.
只有一件事能把市场拉到一起,那就是以压制为后盾的否认,彻底而永久的。
There’s only one thing that’ll pull the market together, and that is a denial backed with suppression, total and permanent.
——你好,mottram。——但如何?
– Hello, mottram. – But how?
我们已经给了他25万了。
We’ve already offered him a quarter of a million.
我们不能永远把他关在这里。这个国家有法律。
We can’t keep him here forever. There are laws in the country.
我懂了。也许我该跟他谈谈,让他定个价。
I’ve got it. Maybe I should talk to him, let him name his own price.
-我想没有,迈克尔。我将……,先生们!先生们。
– I think not, Michael. I will… – Gentlemen! Gentlemen.
克努森吗?他的门是锁着的。关键的了。
Knudsen? His door’s locked. The key’s gone.
我知道了,伯恩利小姐。
I have it, miss birnley.
对不起,伯恩利小姐。
I’m sorry, miss birnley.
没人进去,也没人出来。birnley先生的指示。
No one goes in, he doesn’t come out. Mr birnley’s instructions.
花那么多钱去追他是没有意义的!
There’s no sense in pursuing this boy with money!
我们都知道这对他毫无意义!
We’ve all seen it means nothing to him!
可以什么?
What else could?
是的,是的,是的。让他接电♥话♥,好吗?
Yes, yes, yes. Put him on, will you?
女人?
Women?
我觉得他不是那种人。
He didn’t seem to me to be the type.
通常都是那种…非常真实的。但如果我们能找到他的一个朋友。
It’s often that type that, um… Very true. But if we could just find a friend of his.
我是说,一个知道怎么跟他说话最好的人。
I mean, someone who knew the best way to talk to him.
父亲吗?这是怎么呢你对西德尼做了什么?
Father? What’s going on? What have you been doing to Sidney?
真的,达芙妮,这不关你的事。
Really, Daphne, it’s no concern of yours.
我想知道你到底对西德尼做了什么。
I want to know just exactly what you’ve done to Sidney.
-你能不能…?-对不起,神父。
– Will you please…? – I’m sorry, father.
这是一次非常重要的商务会议。
This is a very important business meeting.
伯恩利小姐,请稍等。
Oh, miss birnley, just a minute.
请准备好电♥话♥,好吗?我会给你回电♥话♥的。
Stand by the phone, will you? I’ll ring you back.
嗯…伯恩利小姐,我想你很了解斯特拉顿先生吧?
Um… miss birnley, I take it you know mr Stratton quite well?
有多好?
How well?
-我们是很好的朋友。为什么不呢?——为什么不呢?
– We’re very good friends. Why not? – Why not?
它可能对我们很有用。
It may be very useful to us.
-我想我告诉过你…——“birnley先生?”
– I thought I told you… – ‘Mr birnley?’
哦,给你的。
oh, it’s for you.
——你好吗?-坐下,伯恩利小姐。
– Hello? – Sit down, miss birnley.
不,戴维森,我不能。
No, Davidson, I cannot.
伯恩利小姐,我们想买♥♥下斯特拉顿先生新发现的版权。
Miss birnley, we’re trying to buy the world rights to mr Stratton’s new discovery.
-但他似乎不信任我们。——不是吗?为什么不呢?
– But he doesn’t seem to trust us. – Doesn’t he? Why not?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!