The late fourth century A.D. the Roman Empire began to crumble.
公元4世纪晚期 罗马帝国江河日下
Alexandria, in the province of Egypt
地处于埃及行省的亚历山大港
still retained some of its luster,,
如同落日余晖
possessed one of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world:,
该港拥有古代世界七大奇迹之一
the legendary lighthouse
享誉盛名的亚历山大灯塔
and the biggest library known.
以及人类早期历史上最伟大的图书馆
The library was a not only cultural but a religious symbol,,
这个书馆不仅是文化宝库 也是宗教象征
a place where the pagans worshiped their ancestral gods.
多神教♥徒♥在此参拜他们的祖先神
The traditional pagan worship in the city now coexisted,
如今传统的多神教♥徒♥与犹太教♥徒♥
with the Jews,
在此共存
and an unstoppable religion up to now banned,,
同处于此还有屡禁不止的
Christianity.
基♥督♥教
How many fools do you think have asked themselves?
少有傻瓜会扪心自问
why don’t the stars fall from the sky
星星为何不会从天空坠落
But you, who’ve had the teachings of the wise,
可你不同 你受过智者的教育
You know that the stars move neither up nor down.
你知道星星只会升起或落下
they merely revolve from east to west,
自东至西转动
following the most perfect course ever conceived,
沿着最完美的轨迹
The circle.
做圆周运动
Because the circle reigns in the heavens,
圆周运动主宰宇宙
the stars have never fallen and they never will.
因而星星永不坠落
But, what about here on Earth?
但是在地球上呢?
Here, bodies do fall.
在地球上 物体自♥由♥降落
But their movements are not circular but linear.
但是他们的运行轨迹 不是环形而是线形
Watch again.
再看一次
Watch again.
再看一次
No, leave it.
别捡 放那儿
So,
那么
What mysterious wonder do you all think might be
你们认为在地面之下究竟蕴藏着
lurking beneath the Earth
何种神奇物质?
that would make every single person and animal
使得人类 动物
and object and slaves circular?
所有的物体以及奴隶适得其所
What might it be?
那会是什么呢?
The heaviness, lady.
是重力 老师
No.
不对
Synesius.
辛奈西斯
The weightiness.
因为他们的重量
No, you’re both speaking about the same thing,
不对 你们说的是一样东西
but you’re not talking about the primary course.
但你们都没有切中要害
Have any of you ever wondered that your,
你们有没有人想过你们的
that your feet,
你们的脚
your feet
你们的脚
are standing on the very center of the cosmos
站立在宇宙的正中♥央♥
that holds all things together
而宇宙承载万物
and pulls them together
并将万物紧密相连
If there were no center
如果没有中心
then the universe would be
那么宇宙将会混沌不清
shapeless, infinite, formless, chaotic.
无穷无尽 无状之状 杂乱不堪
Will it make a little difference,
无论我们身处何方
if we were here or there or anywhere?
都将毫无二致
And we’d all be better off never have been born.
那我们不降临人间岂不更好
Library of Alexandria 391 A.D.
公元391年 亚历山大图书馆
God, Our Father,
神 我们之父
Lord of the universe,
乃万物之主
origin of all things,
万物之源
eternal force of the cosmos,
宇宙之永恒能量
where everything has its beginning and everything its end.
万事万物在此有始有终
Almighty Serapis
全能的塞拉皮斯
Isis
伊希斯
Horus
荷鲁斯
Anubis
阿努比斯神
and all the other gods we ask for your protection.
以及所有凡间与天上
both in heaven and on earth,
给予子民保护的诸神
I don’t know what’s happening in the market.
市集上出事了
I know you also feel something.
我知道你对我也有感觉
I’ve seen.
我看出了
Tell the master we’re leaving.
请转告主人我们要走了
Can you believe?
难以置信
He was courting me as if I’m one of his conquests.
他像我示爱还把我当成他的战利品
This Orestes is as foolish as his father.
真是有其父必有其子
I already suggested that he devote his heart to another muse
如果我建议他移情至另一位
one more beautiful than I.
姿色更甚于我的女神
Who? Music.
谁? 缪塞克
Music?
音乐
He didn’t find his music.
他可没像你笑得这么开心
What happen? 227 ever become 16.
本来是227 怎会变成16呢?
Look at this, it’s 14.
看这个 这里是14
They behave like humans!
他们的生活习性与人类无异
They eat, drink and fornicate!
他们吃喝享乐 骄奢淫逸
If my gods eat, drink and fornicate
如果我的诸神也吃喝享乐 骄奢淫逸
good for them.
岂不快哉
Know this,Know this,
不是这样的 不是
you who console yourself with pagan images.
你们崇拜的形象没有一丝神圣可言
Men, women, birds, reptiles!
不管是男人女人 还是飞禽走兽
Serapis! Serapis!
塞拉皮斯 塞拉皮斯
Who could trust the God, need a flower pot for a crown?
谁会信仰把花盆当做皇冠的神呢?
Hey you, Christians
你们这些基♥督♥徒啊
how arrogant you’d become now that the,
罗马帝国让你们幸存于此
Empire allows you to exist.
你们却变得如此狂妄自大
My father’s father saw them
我的祖父曾看见他们
slaughtered in the circus and fed to the lions.
在竞技场里被屠♥杀♥并用来喂狮子
Enough! Enough! Watch.
打住 打住 看着
Watch.
看着
I shall now walk across the fire.
我将穿越火坑
If my God,
若我主是
If my God is the true god, I shall suffer no harm.
若我主是真神 我将会毫发无损
If however, your gods exist
然而如若你的主存在
they will roast me like a pig.
我就会像只猪一样被烤死
You,

You’re a lie!
你真勇敢
You’ll get what you deserve.
你会遭到报应的
Now, let’s see if you can walk cross the fire.
现在我们来看看 你是否能穿越火坑?
What are you doing?
你们想干嘛?
Stop, you can’t do that! Let the man go.
住手 你们不能这样 放开他
Be quiet pagan
闭嘴 多神教♥徒♥
or we’d call you in as well.
否则把你也拖进去
Whose is this?
这是谁的?
Whose is this?
这是谁的?
How many times must I repeat myself?
我得重复多少遍?
Today, the Christians burned a man.
今天 基♥督♥徒当众烧伤了一名男子
Right in the middle of the Agora!
就在广场中♥央♥
I will not have this in my house!
我的屋子里严禁出现这种东西
Not in the house of Theon!
赛昂家严禁此物
Give it to me.
给我
Give it to me!
给我
Master, I beg mercy for your slave girl.
主人 望您开恩 对此既往不咎
Davus! Get up.
达乌斯 起来
You have nothing to do with this.
这与你无关
I too, am a Christian.
我也是一名基♥督♥徒
What did you say?
你说什么?
I too, am a Christian.
我也是一名基♥督♥徒
Punish me for the both of us.
连我也一并惩罚吧
So, now they presume to teach us mercy.
他们妄想教我们什么是仁慈
Get a whip. Father!
拿鞭子来 父亲
Please wait until you calm before you,
请您冷静冷静 好吗?
Father, I beg of you. I beg of you
父亲 我求您了 我求您了
wrapped in a blazing brightness.
他真的被燃烧的光亮包围吗?
It was the flames, stupid.
傻子 那是真正的火焰
Then why didn’t he burn like the pagan?
那他为什么没有像多神教♥徒♥那样燃烧?
Tell me.
告诉我啊

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!