Did you have a chance to read it?
是的,我…
Yes, I….
你的书让我感到惊喜,你应该体会得到的
I was really, really surprised,as you can imagine.
我是说,我对它爱不释手
I mean, I had to read it twice, actually.
– 是吗? – 是的
– Yeah? – Yeah.
[法语]写得马马虎虎?
Comme ci comme ca?
不,我很喜欢,非常浪漫!
No, I liked it. It’s very romantic.
我平时不爱看类似的书,但是你写的真好
I usually don’t like that,but it’s really well-written.
– 写的非常好,祝贺你! – 好吧,谢谢
– It’s well-written. Congratulations. – All right. Thank you.
– 等等 – 怎么啦?
– Wait. – What?
在我们出发前,我得问你…
Before we go anywhere,I have to ask you….
没问题,什么事?
Sure. What?
那年十二月,你去维也纳了吗?
Did you show up in Vienna that December?
– 呃,你去了吗? – 没有,我没能去成,但是…你去了吗?
– Did you? – No, I couldn’t. But did you?
– 我必须要知道,这对我很重要! – 为什么,既然你都没去?
– I need to know. It’s important to me. – Why, if you didn’t?
那,你去了吗?
Well, did you?
没有
No.
哦,谢天谢地你没去!
Thank God you didn’t.
– 哦,天啊 – 谢天谢地你没去
– Oh, my God. – Thank God you didn’t.
我是说,幸亏我没去,你也没去,要是我们两个只有一个人去了…
Thank God I didn’t and you didn’t.If one of us had showed up alone…
– …那简直是糟透了 – 我知道,我知道,我一直担心这个
– …that would have sucked. – I was so concerned.
我一直因为没去而内疚,但是我确实没法!我祖母那之前几天过世了
I felt horrible about not being there,but I couldn’t. My grandma died…
那天是她下葬的日子,十二月十六日
…and she was buried that day,December 16th.
– 她过世了?就是布达佩斯的那一位? – 是的,你还记得?
– The one in Budapest? – Yes. You remember that?
– 当然,我什么都记得 – 噢,对了,你书中还提到了
– I remember everything. – Of course, it was in your book.
总之,我的确想过去维也纳的
But anyway, I was about to fly to Vienna, you know…
但是噩耗突然传来,我只能去参加葬礼了
…and we heard the news about her,and of course I had to go to the funeral.
是啊,听到这个真让人难过
Yeah, I’m sorry to hear that.
我知道,反正你也没去…
I know. But you weren’t there anyway.
等等,你为什么没去?
Wait. Why weren’t you there?
我要是能去的话一定会去的,我定了计划,而且我…
I would have been there if I could have. I made plans….
你最好能找到个好一点的理由!
You better have a good reason.
怎么了?
What?
哦,不!
Oh, no.
你去那了,是吗?
No, you were there, weren’t you?
哦,不,真糟糕!
Oh, no, that’s terrible!
我知道,我笑了,不过我不是有意的!
I’m laughing, but I don’t mean it.
你当时生我气了吧,一定是的
Did you hate me?You must’ve hated me.
– 你一直都在生我的气吧?一定是的 – 没有
– Have you been hating me all this time?You have. – No.
– 有,你生我气了 – 没有
– Yes, you have. – No.
但你现在不生气了,对吧?
But you can’t hate me now, right?
– 我是说,我祖母… – 我没生你的气,又不是什么大事
– I mean, my grandma… – I don’t hate you. It’s no big deal.
我大老远飞过去,你却放我的鸽子
I flew all the way over there,you blew the thing off.
于是我的人生自此一蹶不振,不过,这又算什么呢
My life’s been a big nosedive since,but it’s not a problem.
– 我只是开玩笑,开玩笑 – 别这么说,我真无法相信
– No, I’m kidding. – Don’t say that. I can’t believe it.
我一定是把你气疯了,我真抱歉
You must have been so angry with me. I’m so sorry.
我真的很想去的,没什么比这个更重要了!
I really wanted to be there,more than anything in the world.
– 不开玩笑了,我发誓… – 你不能生气啊,我祖母…
– Honestly, I swear… – You can’t be angry, my grandmother…
我懂,我真的想到了,你大概就是被这种事情缠住了
I know. I honestly thought that something like that might have happened.
我确实是非常失望,不过…
I was definitely bummed, but….
我感到最遗憾的还是因为我们没有交换电♥话♥号♥码,或者任何其他个人信息
Mostly I was mad we hadn’t exchanged any phone numbers or any information.
瞧瞧我们干的傻事,没法彼此联♥系♥
That was so stupid.No way to get in touch.
– 对啊,没法继续下去了 – 我甚至不知道你姓什么
– Nothing to go on. – I didn’t know your last name.
记得吗,我们都担心如果我们开始通信,打电♥话♥…
Remember, we were both afraid if we started writing and calling…
– …感觉会不会慢慢的就变淡了 – 是啊,而且肯定不会慢慢变淡
– …that it would slowly fade out. – lt definitely wasn’t a slow fade.
肯定不会
No, it sure wasn’t.
我们都怀念曾经拥有的感觉
We wanted to pick up where we left off.
如果这份感觉可以永存的话,那就再好不过了
Which would have been fine if it had worked. Oh, well.
那么…
So….
– 你在维也纳待了多久? – 就几天
– How long were you in Vienna, then? – Just a couple days.
你碰到其他女孩了吗?
Did you meet another girl?
啊,是啊,她叫格蕾岑,她棒极了
Yeah, her name was Gretchen and she was amazing.
– 真的? – 是啊,事实上,那书是写你们两个的
– You did? – The book’s really a composite of the two of you.
– 真的吗? – 没这回事,我只是开玩笑!你不会相信的,我甚至还回到火车站过
– Really? – No, I’m kidding. You wouldn’t believe… I even went back to the train station.
我支了个牌子,写了我旅馆的电♥话♥号♥码,以免你来晚了找不到
I put up signs of my number in the hotel in case you’d been delayed.
– 我真是个笨蛋 – 我们这边走,有人打电♥话♥给你吗?
– I was a total dork. – Let’s go this way. Did you get any calls?
有几个妓♥女♥,拉皮条的
Just a couple hookers looking for a gig.
哦,那真是糟,我是说,你指望让我说什么呢
No, it was awful, I mean,what do you want me to say?
哦,太让人伤心了,我真抱歉!
It’s so sad. I’m so sorry.
我就那么转悠了几天,最后,就飞回去了
I walked around for a couple days.Eventually, I flew home.
还欠了我爸两千块
I owed my dad 2000 bucks…
他可是警告我不要碰法国鸡
…who had warned me about French chicks.
他怎么对你形容法国女人的?
What did he tell you about French women?
没什么,他,他从来没有遇见过法国女人
Nothing. He’s never met any French women.
他从来没有去过比密西西比河更东的地方
He’s never been east of the Mississippi.
那你干嘛不加上一句,“六个月过去了,那个法国婊♥子♥还是没出现”
Why didn’t you put, “Six months later,the French bitch didn’t show up”?
不,可是我差点这么做了
No, but I did, I did.
– 你真的想过? – 是的,我是说,我让它看起来更有悬念
– You did? – Yeah. No. I made it more hopeful.
我写了一段虚构的情节,说你最后出现了
I wrote this fictional version where you do show up.
– 哦,你怎么写的? – 呃…
– Oh, what happens? – Well….
怎么了?
What?
呃,我们整整做了十天爱,这还没完
We make love for about 10 days straight,that’s one part of it.
– 哦,真有意思,一个法国荡♥妇♥… – 没错
– Interesting. So the French slut, right? – Yeah, exactly.
从那以后,他们开始了解对方
It’s just then they get to know each other better…
然后他们意识到彼此并不合适
…and realize they don’t get along at all.
– 我喜欢这样,看起来更真实 – 我的编辑可不这么想
– I like that. It’s more real. – My editor didn’t think that way.
谁都想相信爱情,为了畅销嘛,对吧?
Everyone wants to believe in love.It sells.
是啊,就是如此,所以…
Yeah, exactly, so….
就是说你一切都好,对吧?
So things are going well for you,right? I mean….
– 我是说,你的书是美国畅销书… – 只是本小小的畅销书
– Your book is a bestseller in the U.S. – It’s a tiny bestseller.
– 哦,别谦虚啦… – 好吧,没错,理论上说,是的
– Oh, come on. – All right. Officially, yes.
可大多数人连莫比·迪克的书都没读过,又怎么会来读我的?
Most people haven’t read Moby Dick.Why should they read my book?
我也没读过莫比·迪克的书,可是我就喜欢你的书,所以…
I haven’t read Moby Dick and I liked your book.
– 谢谢 – 即使…
– Thanks. – Even though…
我觉得你把那一晚描绘得太完美了
…I thought you idealized the night of it.
嘿,我说,这可是小说
Come on, it’s officially a fiction, right?
– 我本来就得… – 我知道,我知道
– I’m supposed to… – I know, I know.
你知道,有些时候,你让我看起来…
I know. I thought there were times where you made me….
呃,我是说她,不,还是我…算啦,管她是谁
Well, I mean, her, right?No, me. Okay, whatever.
– 总之有点神经质! – 你确实有点啊,不是吗?
– A little bit neurotic. – You are a bit like that, aren’t you?
– 你认为我神经质? – 没有,这是个玩笑而已!
– You think I’m neurotic? – No, no, no. Come on, I’m kidding.
我哪那么写了,我才没有呢
Where did I do that? I didn’t do that.
我这人就是这样的,你知道的…
Oh, maybe it’s just me, you know….
读到一个故事,知道故事是根据自己来写的
Reading something, knowing the character is storied based on you…
这既让人受宠若惊,也让人心神不宁
…it’s both flattering and disturbing at the same time.
怎么会让人心神不宁的?
How is it disturbing?
我不知道,只是…成为他人记忆中的一部分
I don’t know. Just being part of someone else’s memory.
透过你的眼看到我自己
Seeing myself through your eyes.
你写了多久?
How long did it take you to write it?
呃,三四年吧,时断时续的
Three or four years, on and off.
哇,你花了那么长时间就为了写一个晚上发生的事情?
Wow, that’s a really long time to be writing about one night.
是啊,我知道,你说的没错
Yeah, I know. Tell you about it.
我总是认为你已经忘记我了
I always assumed you had forgotten me.
没有,我心目中你的印象非常清晰
No, I had a pretty clear picture of you in my mind.
– 我得告诉你件事情,我… – 怎么了?
– I have to tell you something. I just…. – What?
这么久以来,我一直想和你聊天,你知道吗,而现在…
I’ve wanted to talk to you for so long that now…
– 是啊,我也是 – 现在梦想成真了
– Me,too. – It’s just surreal, you know?
我却觉得不知道该说什么了
I feel like everything should be…
我懂,我懂,我们还有多长时间?二十分钟又三十秒?
How long do we have?Twenty minutes and 30 seconds?
不,我们有的是时间,我想多和你聊聊
We got more than that.I wanna know about you.
告诉我你在做什么?
Tell me, what are you doing?What are you up to?
呃,从哪开始呢…我为绿十字会工作,那是个环保组织
Where to start? I work for Green Cross.It’s an environmental organization.
他们是干嘛的?
What are they all about?
这个嘛,基本上来说,我们会关注一些环境问题
We basically work on different environment issues…
比如净化水质,或者销毁化学武器什么的
…from clean water to disarmament of chemical weapons.
你懂吗,涉及环境的国际法什么的
International laws that deal with the environment.
– 那,你为他们做什么? – 我们走这边
– What do you do for them? – We’re going this way.
很多事了
Different things.
比如去年,我在印度待了一阵,在一间水处理工厂工作
Like, last year I was in lndia for quite a while,working on a water-treatment plant.
那里的棉纺工业是主要的污染源,所以…
Well, the cotton industry there is a major source of pollution, so….
我是说,听起来你的确做了一些有意义的事情

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!