Too dirty?
太下流吗?
Yeah, I suppose they’re dirty, too,
可算是吧 但不是故意的
but only incidentally.
大部分评语是愤怒的
Mainly they’re angry, sensitive, intensely felt,
感性的 有共鸣
and that dirtiest of all words, promising.
最差的形容是”有希望”
So said The Times Book Review, October 1, 1956.
引述自1956年10月1日 [时代杂♥志♥]书中
1956? That’s right.
1956年? 对
I suppose this a ratty question, but what have you written lately?
冒昧问下 你最近有什么作品?
Lately, I’ve been working on a novel.
最近 我在写一本小说
Lately, since 1956? A novel takes a long time.
自从1956年到现在? 写小说要花很多时间
I want to get it exactly right. So no more stories.
我想做到最好 所以没有写小故事?
The idear is I’m supposed to not fritter my talent on little things.
我不想在小事上浪费才华
I’m suppose to saving it for the big one.
我想留待重要时刻才用
Tell me do you write every day?
你每天都有写作吗?
Sure.
当然
Today? Sure.
今天呢? 当然
It’s a beautiful typewriter.
打字机很漂亮
Of course.

It writes nothing but sensitive, intensely felt, promising prose.
我只写感性 有共鸣 和有希望的散文
There’s no ribbon in it.
但里面没有打字带
There isn’t?
没有?
No.

You know something you said this morning has bothered me all day.
今早你提到的事让我很困扰
What’s that?
什么?
Do they really give you $50 when ever you go to the powder room?
你去女厕 他们真的给你五十元吗?
Of course.
当然
You must do very well.
你一定很出色
I’m trying to save, but I’m not very good at it.
我努力存钱 但不太成功
You know, you do look a lot like my brother Fred.
知道吗? 你和我弟弟弗瑞德真的很像
I haven’t seen him since I was 14, when I left home.
自从我十四岁离家后 就一直没见过他
He was already 6’2″.
当时他已有六尺二寸高
It must have been the peanut butter that did it.
可能是花生酱的功效
Everybody thought he was dotty, the way he ate peanut butter.
所有人都认为他疯狂的喜欢吃花生酱
But he wasn’t dotty,
但他不是疯狂
just sweet and vague and…terribly slow.
只是可爱 含糊和…过于迟钝
Poor Fred. He’s in the army now.
可怜的弗瑞德 他现在当兵去了
It’s really the best place for him until I get enough money saved.
那是最适合他的地方 等我存够了钱
And then? And then Fred and I…
然后怎样? 然后我就和弗瑞德…
I went to Mexico once.
我去过一次墨西哥
It’s a wonderful place for raising horses.
那儿是养马的好地方
I saw one place near the sea that…
我看到有一处靠海的地方…
Fred’s very good with horses.
弗瑞德擅于跟马儿相处
Even land in Mexico costs something.
但即使墨西哥的土地也很昂贵
And no matter whatever I do, there’s never more than $200 in the bank.
可不管我做什么 我的银行卡上总超不过200元
It can’t be 4:30.
现在不可能是四点半
It just can’t.
不可能的
Do you mind if I just get in with you for a minute?
你介意我到你床上待一会儿吗?
It’s all right. Really, it is.
放心 没事的
We’re friends, that’s all.
我们是朋友 仅此而己
We are friends, aren’t we?
我们是朋友吗?
Sure.
当然
OK, let’s don’t say another word.
好的 什么话都别说了
Let’s just go to sleep.
我们一起入睡
Where are you, Fred?
弗瑞德 你在哪儿?
It’s cold.
好冷
There’s snow and…wind.
又刮风又下雪的
What is it?
怎么了?
Why are you crying?
你怎么哭了?
If we’re going to be friends, let’s get one thing straight right now.
如果我们是朋友 就要弄清楚一件事
I hate snoops.
我讨厌被打探
Yeah. Lucille, darling?
是谁 我呀 亲爱的?
I’ve been trying desperately to reach you.
找你找得好辛苦
Bill just got back…
比尔刚回来…
a day early, the beast…
他提前一天回来…
so I’ll have to beg off.
所以我来不了
You’ll explain to the rest of the girls?
你会向其他女孩解释吗?
You’re a darling.
你真好
Maybe we can have a long lunch tomorrow.
或许明天我们可一起吃午饭
I’ll phone you in the morning. Whatever you say.
我明早电♥话♥你 你说了算
You’ll manage to survive without me tonight?
今晚我不在没问题吗?
Sure. I might even take a wild, boyish fling at writing.
当然 我可能可以撒欢写作
Good night. Good night.
晚安 晚安
Got yourself stuffed, huh, Polly, baby?
吃撑了吧 活该
Serves you right, big mouth.
今晚自己照顾自己 大嘴鸟
Aren’t you drinking?
你没喝酒吗?
You have pockets or something? What do you go by?
你有口袋或其他东西吗? 你要做什么?
What’s your name? What do you call yourself?
你叫什么名字? 怎么称呼自己?
Irving. Perfect, perfect.
艾文 好听 很好听
That’s wonderful, Irving.
真的很好听 艾文
I’ll be right back, Irving, baby.
宝贝艾文 我很快回来
Yeah? Kid’s still in the shower. You expected?
她还在淋浴 邀请你了吗?
I was invited. That what you mean?
她邀请我了 放心
Don’t get all tense. Come on in.
请别见怪 进来
It’s a party, ot of characters come who aren’t expected.
这个派对有很多人不请自来
I’ll buy you a drink. You drink?
我请你喝一杯 你喝酒吧?
Then I’ll buy you a drink. OK
我去拿 好的
Hey, honey, your skirt’s split there.
宝贝 你裙子开叉了哦
What do you drink? Bourbon.
你喝什么? 威士忌
On the rocks? Yeah…No. With water.
要加冰吗? 好…不 加水行了
Want rocks first? Yeah. Not too much.
要不先加冰? 好吧 别放太多
All right. That’ll set you free.
喝吧 可使你自♥由♥自在
Know the kid long? Not very. I live upstairs.
跟她认识很久了? 不太久 我住在楼上
You kidding. Look at this place. It’s unbelievable. What a dump!
开玩笑吧 看看这地方 难以置信 像个废墟
What do you think?
你认为怎样?
About what? Is she or isn’t she?
什么怎样? 她是不是?
Wait a minute. Hold it.
等等
Harriet! Hi, JB.
哈瑞特 JB 你好
“JB”? OJ, What’s that?
JB ? OJ 怎么了?
You know Gil. Yeah. How are you?
他是吉尔 是啊 你好
How about a drink? In the kitchen, found anything you need.
喝一杯如何? 去厨房♥找喝的吧
So…Oh, honey, that is you.
甜心 你来啦
Fred, darling, I’m so glad you could come.
弗瑞德 很高兴你来了
I brought you a present for the bookcase.
我带了个礼物过来
You’re sweet.
你真好
Doesn’t that look nice? Give me a cigarette, OJ.
很好看吧? OJ 给我香烟
OJ’s a great agent. He knows a lot of phone numbers.
好 好 OJ 我的经纪人 他广交朋友
What’s Jerry Wald’s phone number?
杰瑞·沃德的电♥话♥号♥码是多少?
Come on, lay off.
拜托 我己下班
Darling, I want you to call him and tell him Fred’s a genius.
你打电♥话♥告诉他 弗瑞德是一名天才
Stop blushing, Fred. You didn’t say it. I did.
别害羞 你不是自夸 是我说你是天才
Quit stalling. Just tell me what you gonna go to make Fred rich and famous?
别推辞 OJ 告诉我 你要怎样使弗瑞德功成名就?
Let Fred and me settle that, huh, puppy?
你何不让弗瑞德解决这事
OK, but remember, I’m the agent.
好吧 不过记着 我是经纪人哦
He’s already got a decorator, I’m the agent.
他已经有一名设计师 而我是他的经纪人啦
Hold it.
等等
Hi, boys. Come on in.
你们好
Find the kitchen everything you need.
厨房♥应有尽有
So, listen, Fred, baby. What you…
那么 弗瑞德 宝贝 你干…
No, it’s Paul, baby. I thought it was Fred, baby. So answer the question.
不 我叫保罗 我还以为你叫弗瑞德 回答问题
Is she or isn’t she? What?
她是不是? 是不是什么?
A phoney.
骗子
I don’t know. I don’t think so. You don’t think so?
我不知道 看来不是 看来不是?
Well, you’re wrong, she is.
你错了 她是
On the other hand, you’re right, because she’s a real phoney. you know why?
但另一方面你说对了 因为她是真正的骗子
Because she honestly believes all the phoney junk she believes. I mean, I like the kid,
因为她真的相信她相信的一些东西 我喜欢这孩子
I mean I…I sincerely like the kid. I do.
我喜欢她 真的
I’m sensitive. That’s why.
我很敏感 这就是为什么
You got to be sensitive to like the kid. It’s a touch, a streak of the poet.
你要敏感才会喜欢她 这是一种感觉 很诗意
It’s a streak of the poet.
你知道我的意思
You known her long?
你跟认识很久了?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!