要是和醉汉打架 千万别用到投球那只手
You get in a fight with a drunk, you don’t hit with your pitching hand.
我总是要对你说教
I can’t keep giving you these free lessons.
过来拉我起来
Quit screwing around and help me up.
你看来没什么大碍
You look great, man.
小心些
Be careful with those now.
我们这儿终于出了人去打大联盟
We got a boy going to the Show.
昨晚的事很抱歉
Sorry about last night.
算了
Forget it.
我只是想借个场合
I have been known on occasion to…
来发泄一下
howl at the moon.
你明白吗
You understand?

No.
那么你会明白的
Well, you will.
记着 纽克…
Look, Nuke…
大联盟的打者会把你的球
these big-league hitters are going
当成是弹球机上出来的轻松处理掉
to light you up like a pinball machine…
不是吗
for a while, all right?
但是别太担心了
Don’t worry about it.
即使是在被击败时 你也要保持着那份骄傲
You be cocky and arrogant, even when you’re getting beat.
这是胜利的秘诀
That’s the secret.
你怀着恐惧和骄傲来玩这项运动
You gotta play this game with fear and arrogance.
恐惧和无知
Fear and ignorance.
不 是恐惧和骄傲 蠢货 不是无知
No, fear and arrogance, you hayseed, not ignorance.
我知道
I know.
我喜欢看见你激动时的样子
I just like seeing you get all worked up.
听着
Listen.
谢谢你
Thanks.
纽克
Hey, Nuke.
祝你好运
Good luck.
你也是…
You too…
废物
Meat.
现在我宣告你们结为夫妻
I now pronounce you husband and wife.
你可以亲新娘了
You may kiss the bride.
吉米 我们都商量过了 决定送你份礼物
Jimmy, we all pitched in, and we got you a little gift.
托尼
Tony.
达勒姆公牛队送上的特制结婚蛋糕
Kind of a special wedding cake from the Durham Bulls.
我的主啊
Oh, my Lord!
领队
Yeah, Skip?
你想要找我
You wanted to see me?
克拉舍 把门关上
Crash, shut the door.
我要谢谢大家
I wanna thank everyone!
做球队的总教练真是不容易
This is the toughest job a manager has.
可是…
But…
上头已经做下了决定
the organization wants to make a change.
现在纽克走了 他们想要培养一名捕手
Now that Nuke’s gone, they wanna bring up some young catcher.
布鲁菲德有个孩子 的打击率有3成
Some kid hitting.300 in Bluefield.
或许是可造之材
He’s probably a bust.
我已经为你向上头说过好话
I put in a word for you with the organization.
告诉他们你会 成为很好的球队教练
Told them I thought you might make a fine minor-league manager someday.
明年到维萨利亚去试试吧
There might be an opening at Visalia next year.
你今年干的很出色 克拉舍
You had a hell of a year, Crash.
可是…
But…
你明白事情就是如此
you know how it is.
我被释出了
I got released.
我已经听说了
I heard already.
我大概还在前生 爱过什么四足动物
I think probably with my love for four-legged creatures…
那么说起来…
and hooves and everything, that in another lifetime…
我也有可能是凯瑟琳大帝 或是圣方济各
I was probably Catherine the Great or Francis of Assisi.
我也不能肯定
I’m not sure which one.
你怎么想 亲爱的
What do you think, honey?
要是人人前生都是名人
How come in former lifetimes…
那会是怎么样
everybody is somebody famous?
要是人人都不愿意 投”乔施默”的胎怎么办
How come nobody ever says they were “Joe Schmoe”?
这不可能 你这个傻瓜
Because it doesn’t work that way, you fool.
你真迷人
God, you are gorgeous.
想要跳舞吗
You wanna dance?
是的
Yes.
我就知道你会这么做
I guess you do.
克拉舍是在黎明时离开的
Crash took off at dawn.
说他听说南大西洋的阿什维尔队
Said he heard there might be an opening for a catcher…
有个捕手的空缺
in Asheville on the South Atlantic League.
女人对他的影响 没大到足以改变此事
A woman should be so strong that she’s not affected by such things.
这不是第一次我和男人上♥床♥
It wasn’t the first time I went to bed with a guy…
却和一张纸条起床
and woke up with a note.
至少这混♥蛋♥给我留下了早餐
At least the son of a bitch left me breakfast.
你必须尊敬这些 想打完球季的球员们
You have to respect a ballplayer who’s trying to finish the season.
至少 我就是自己对自己说的
At least, that’s what I told myself.
棒球运动也许是种 包含宇♥宙♥真♥理♥的信仰
Baseball may be a religion full of magic cosmic truth…
是出给我们这个时代 的一道本体存在论难题
in the fundamental ontological riddles of our time…
可这还是份职业
but it’s also a job.
来吧 废物 丢个臭球给我
Come on, Meat. Throw me that weak-ass shit.
你不会在我这儿占到便宜的
You ain’t gettin’ that cheese by me.
来吧
Bring it.
当克拉舍击第247棒本垒打时
When Crash hit his 247th home run,
我知道这一刻还是来到了
I knew the moment it happened.
可我相信没有人会注意到
But I’m sure nobody else did.
体育新闻也对此毫无提及
And The Sporting News didn’t say anything about it.
“花朵绽放出前所未有的色彩
“Full many a flower is born to blush unseen.
却在沙漠的空气中耗尽了它的美丽”
And waste its sweetness on the desert air. ”
这是托马斯格雷
Thomas Gray.
或是威廉库伦拜恩特说的
Or William Cullen Bryant.
我也搞不清楚 我老把他们弄混
I don’t know. I get ’em mixed up.
不管怎样 我还是 按老样子在生活着
Anyway, my attempts at housekeeping were feeble as usual.
只是有时候很容易就心烦意乱
I sometimes get easily distracted.
有趣的是我不再担心纽克
Funny thing was I stopped worrying about Nuke.
我清楚再没什么能够挡住他
Somehow I knew nothing would stop him.
这世界是为不会 被自己束缚的人所存在的
The world is made for people who aren’t cursed with self-awareness.
克拉舍是对的…纽克很有天赋
Crash was right… Nuke had a gift.
我很高兴能够来到这里 希望能够为球团起点作用
I’m just happy to be here, and I hope I can help the ball club.
我只想能够做到最好
You know, I just wanna give it my best shot…
老天保佑 这会实现的
and good Lord willing, things will work out.
这得要每天都努力
You gotta play them one day at a time, though.
你叫雷安妮是吗 这名字真好听
Raye Anne, right? That’s a beautiful name.
这是希腊名字吗 真是很好听
Is that Greek? It’s a beautiful name.
莫特利格鲁有首有名的歌♥ 你知道吗
There’s a great song by Motley Crue. Do you know it?
“雷安妮 她是个乖乖女”
“Raye Anne, she’s a stay in.”
总之 有位我的好友常说
Anyway, a good friend of mine used to say…
“这是项很简单的运动
“This is a very simple game.
投球 接球 击球
You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball.
有时候会赢 有时候会输
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
有时候则是大雨”
Sometimes it rains.”
想想这话的含义吧
Think about that for a while.
怎么了
What happened?
我不干了
I quit.
达到目标就高挂球棒了
Hit my dinger and I hung them up.
我也不干了
I’m quittin’ too.
我是男人而不是棒球
I mean boys, not baseball.
明年春天在维萨利亚 可能有个球队教练的职位
There might be an opening for a manager in Visalia next spring.
觉得我像个教练的样吗
Think I could make it to the Show as a manager?
你会很棒的
You’d be great.
因为你懂得非线性思考
Because you understand about nonlinear thinking.
棒球看起来像是很单纯的运动
Baseball seems like a linear game with all those lines and box scores.
但实际上 那需要涉及很广的方面
But the fact is, it’s a spacious non-time kind of time to it.
怎么了
What?
听你这些理论的时间还有很多
I got a lot of time to hear your theories.
而我也想要听全部这些该死的理论
And I wanna hear every damn one of them, but…
可现在我累了 不愿意再想关于棒球的事
now I’m tired and I don’t want to think about baseball.
我不愿意去想那些量子物理论
And I don’t wanna think about quantum physics.
也不愿意什么都不想
And I don’t wanna think about nothing.
我只想要
I just wanna be.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
前一篇文章天伦之旅
下一篇文章大白鲨
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!