What’s going on with you and, uh, Bryce Loski?
你指什么 没什么啊
What do you mean? Nothing.
好吧
Oh, okay.
是我想多了
My mistake.
你为什么会这么想
Why would you even think that?
不为什么
No reason.
只是你…
Just that you…
老是在说他
…talk about him all the time.
我有吗
I do?
是啊
Mm-hm.
我不知道
I don’t know.
我猜是因为他的眼睛吧
I guess it’s something about his eyes.
或是因为他的微笑
Or maybe his smile.
那他的人呢
But what about him?
-什么 -你得观其全貌
– What? – You have to look at the whole landscape.
这是什么意思
What does that mean?
一幅画并不是各个部分的简单相加
A painting is more than the sum of its parts.
奶牛单独看就是奶牛
A cow by itself is just a cow.
草场就其本身也只是草和花
A meadow by itself is just grass, flowers.
而穿过树枝的阳光也不过是一线光束
And the sun peeking through the trees is just a beam of light.
但当你把它们结合到一起…
But you put them all together…
奇迹就发生了
…and it can be magic.
我并不十分理解他所说的话
I didn’t really understand what he was saying
直到那天下午
until one afternoon…
当我爬上那棵梧桐树
…when I was up in the sycamore tree.
我去够一只挂住的风筝
I was rescuing a kite.
风筝挂得很高 是我从未爬上去过的高度
It was a long way up, higher than I’d ever been.
我爬得越高 就越被眼前的美景所震撼
And the higher I got, the more amazed I was by the view.
我开始嗅到微风中的曼妙气息
I began to notice how wonderful the breeze smelled.
像是阳光和野草的芬芳
Like sunshine and wild grass.
我贪婪地呼吸着
I couldn’t stop breathing it in…
让最清甜的空气充满身体
filling my lungs with the sweetest smell I’d ever known.
你找到我的风筝了
Hey, you found my kite.
布莱斯 你应该到这上面来看看
Bryce, you should come up here.
太美了
It’s so beautiful.
不行 我扭伤了我的…
I can’t. I sprained my, um…
我起了疹子
I have a rash.
从那一刻起 这里就成了我的小天地
From that moment on, that became my spot.
我能在那一待几个小时
I could sit there for hours,
就从上面眺望着这个世界
just looking out at the world.
有时候落日是紫色和粉色的
Some days the sunsets would be purple and pink.
有时候则是炽烈的桔黄色
And some days they were a blazing orange…
燃烧着地平线上的云
setting fire to the clouds on the horizon.
有一次看着这样的落日
It was during one of those sunsets that
我突然领悟了爸爸所说的那个概念
my father’s idea of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts…
整体大于部分之和
moved from my head to my heart.
有时候我会起得格外早来这里看日出
Some days I would get there extra early to watch the sunrise.
一天早上 我正在用心记下
One morning I was making mental notes…
万道霞光穿透云层的模样
of how the streaks of light were cutting through the clouds…
好回去与爸爸分享
so I could tell my dad…
突然听到下面传来噪音
when I heard a noise below.
不好意思
Excuse me.
不好意思 对不起
Excuse me. I’m sorry,
你不能把车停在那 那是校车站
but you can’t park there. That’s a bus stop.
你在上面干什么呢
Hey, what are you doing up there?
你不能待在上面 我们要把它砍倒
You can’t be up there, we’re gonna take this thing down.
-这棵树吗 -是的 下来吧
– The tree? – Yeah. Now come on down.
-谁批准你砍树了 -树的主人
– But who told you, you could cut it down? – The owner.
为什么
Why?
他要盖一座房♥子 这棵树碍事了
He’s gonna build a house, and this tree’s in the way.
下来 小姑娘 我们得干活了
So come on, girl, we got work to do.
你不能把它砍倒 就是不能
You can’t cut it down. You just can’t.
听着 小姑娘 我就要报♥警♥了
Listen, girl. I’m this close to calling the police.
你这是擅闯私人领地 妨碍正常施工
You are trespassing and obstructing progress on a contracted job.
要么你自己下来 要么我们就把你砍下来了
Now either you come down, or we’re gonna cut you down.
来啊 你们砍吧
Go ahead. Cut me down.
我不下去 我绝不下去
I’m not coming down. I’m never coming down.
布莱斯 你们也爬上来
Bryce. You guys, come up here with me.
如果我们都在树上 他们就不敢砍了
They won’t cut it down if we’re all up here.
布莱斯 求你了 别让他们砍树
Bryce, please don’t let them do this.
你们上来啊
Come on, you guys.
布莱斯 求你了
Bryce, please.
你们不用爬这么高 上来一点就行了
You don’t have to come up this high. Just a little ways.
布莱斯 求你了 求你了
Bryce, please. Please.
后来的事情我记不清了
What happened after that was a blur.
好像整个镇上的人都来了
It seemed like the whole town was there.
但我还是没动
But still I wouldn’t move.
后来我爸爸来了
Then my father showed up.
他说服了一个消防员 让他爬上来找我
He talked a fireman into letting him come up to where I was.
亲爱的 现在该下来了
Sweetie, it’s time to come down.
爸爸 求你别让他们砍树
Daddy, please don’t let them do this.
-亲爱的 -爸爸 你看
– Sweetie… – Daddy, look.
你能看到一切 从这里你能看到全世界
You can see everything. You can see the whole world from here.
什么美景都没我女儿的安全重要
No view is worth my daughter’s safety.
来吧
Now, come on.
不要
I can’t.
朱莉安娜 现在该下来了
Julianna, it’s time to come down now.
求你了 爸爸
Please, Daddy.
该下来了
It’s time.
事情就是这样
And that was it.
我哭了足有两个星期
I must’ve cried for two weeks straight.
当然 我还是去上学了 尽力表现好点
Oh, sure, I went to school and did the best I could…
但一切似乎都不重要了
but nothing seemed to matter.
-朱莉 -啊?
– Juli? – Huh?
你知道答案是什么吗
Do you know the answer?
伯罗奔尼撒战争
Uh, the Peloponnesian War?
你真是答非所问
I’m sure that’s the answer to something…
我问的是菱形的面♥积♥
but I was looking for the area of a rhomboid.
不知怎么了 菱形和等腰直角三角形
Somehow, rhomboids and isosceles right triangles…
似乎没那么重要了
didn’t seem so important.
我骑车去上学 这样就不用看见那个树桩
I rode my bike so I wouldn’t have to pass by the stump…
那曾经是地球上最壮美的梧桐树
that used to be the earth’s most magnificent sycamore tree.
但不论做什么 我都在想着它
But no matter what I did, I couldn’t stop thinking about it.
你还好吧
Are you okay?
只是棵树而已
It was just a tree.
不 不只是棵树
No, it wasn’t just a tree.
我希望你永远不要忘记在上面的感觉
I never want you to forget how you felt when you were up there.
谢谢 爸爸
Thanks, Dad.
这幅画每天随我起床
It was the first thing I saw every morning…
伴我入眠
and the last thing I saw before I went to sleep.
当我看到它不再哭泣时
And once I could look at it without crying…
我看到了树以外的东西
I saw more than the tree
明白了在它上面对我的意义
and what being up there meant to me.
那天起 我看周围事物的眼光开始改变
I saw the day that my view of things around me started changing.
然后我在想
And I wondered,
我对布莱斯的感觉还和以前一样吗
did I still feel the same things about Bryce?
我一直对蛋没什么特别感觉
I’ve never been a huge fan of eggs.
我的意思是 有也可以 没有也行
I mean, I could always just take them or leave them.
直到那天在斯凯勒·布朗的车♥库♥里
That is, until one day in Skyler Brown’s garage
我对蛋的感觉彻底固定了
when my feelings about eggs were solidified.
诸位诸位 艾娜发现它的早餐了
Hey, hey, hey. Guys. Edna’s found her breakfast.
我是说 如果粘乎乎的爬虫喜欢吃这东西
I mean, if a slimy reptile found them appetizing…
那我是绝对不会再碰了
there was certainly no place for them in my diet.
实在是太酷了
Oh, man, that’s so cool.
它甚至不用嚼
She doesn’t even have to chew.
想想 省了多少时间啊
I mean, think of all the time you’d save.
我本来一辈子都不会知道蛇是生吞鸡蛋的
I could’ve gone my whole life not knowing that snakes eat eggs raw…
都是因为琳妮塔
if it hadn’t been for Lynetta.
她和斯凯勒·布朗关系不一般
She had a major-league thing for Skyler Brown.
我觉得很恶心
I think it’s gross.
他和朱莉的哥哥马特和马克组了个乐队

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
前一篇文章弱点
下一篇文章实习生 The Intern
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!