Juli Baker had always just seemed plain to me.
直到现在
Until now.
还有她描述在那棵树上的感觉的方式
And the way she talked about what it felt like to be up in that tree…
被高高托举于大地之上 清风吹拂
…to be held above the earth, brushed by the wind.
哪个初中生会那样说
Who in junior high talks like that?
这种奇怪的感觉开始令我很不安
This weird feeling started taking over in the pit of my stomach…
我不喜欢这感觉
…and I didn’t like it.
我正在越陷越深
I was slipping, man.
得想办法停下来了
And it was time to get a grip.
之前我从未因我们住的地方感到羞愧
I’d never been embarrassed by where we lived before.
我也从未想过钱
I also never really thought about money.
我知道我们并不富裕
I knew we weren’t rich,
但我没觉得我们缺少什么
but I didn’t feel like we were missing anything.
直到布莱斯·洛斯奇把我们家称为一团糟
That is, until Bryce Loski called our home a complete mess.
-请教芳名 -请教芳名
– What’s your name? – What’s your name?
玛丽还是苏
Is it Mary or Sue?
请教芳名
What’s your name?
我有机会吗
Do I stand a chance with you?
魅力如你之人
It’s so hard to find a personality
真是众里难寻
With charms like yours for me
我得做点什么 我知道该做什么
I had to do something and I knew what it was.
请教芳名
What’s your name?
-听起来真不错 -嗯
– Oh, you’re sounding really good. – Yeah.
我们要在斯凯勒的车♥库♥里录这首歌♥
We’ll record it in Skyler’s garage.
这是个很棒的计划
That’s a wonderful project.
说到计划 我想修理下院子会很不错
Speaking of projects, I was thinking it might be cool to fix up the yard.
-什么 -我是说 草种能花多少钱呢
– What? – I mean, how much can grass seed cost?
我可以种块草坪 也许再种些花
I could plant a lawn, maybe some flowers.
甚至弄个栅栏
I could even put up a fence.
宝贝 那可是笔大开销
Honey, that’s a major undertaking.
-我可以用我卖♥♥鸡蛋的钱支付 -不 那是你的钱
– I could pay for it with my egg money. – No. That’s your money.
这些事应该房♥东做才对
The landlord should be the one taking care of all this.
但他没做 我们又住在这儿
But he doesn’t. And we live here.
看上去太糟糕了
And it looks so bad.
朱莉
Jules.
怎么了
What’s going on?
没什么 爸爸
Nothing, Dad.
没关系的 甜心
It’s okay, sweetheart.
告诉我们吧
You can tell us.
洛斯奇家把我的鸡蛋全扔了
The Loskis have been throwing away my eggs
因为他们担心有沙门氏菌
because they’re afraid of salmonella.
因为我们的院子一团糟
Because our yard is such a mess.
帕茜这么说的吗
Did Patsy say that?
不是 布莱斯说的
No. Bryce did.
但肯定一家人讨论过
But it must have been a family discussion.
一个小男孩是不会那样想的
A boy doesn’t come up with that on his own.
-谁在乎他们怎么想 -对 谁在乎呢
– Who cares what they think? – Yeah, who cares?
-我在乎 -翠娜
– I care. – Trina.
我们别为这个动气好吗
Let’s not get into this.
不 我受够了 理查德
No, I’m tired of living like this, Richard.
我受够了总要做零工来贴补家用
I’m tired of having to take temp jobs just to make ends meet.
我受够了老得用椅子顶住那洗衣机
I’m tired of having to push a chair up against the washing machine…
才能关上门
…just to keep the door shut.
我受够了每当我们的吸尘器坏掉时
I’m tired of having to borrow Mrs. Steuby’s vacuum cleaner…
都要去借斯杜比太太的
…every time ours breaks down.
你觉得我想让大家过这样的日子吗
Do you think this is the life I pictured for us?
有时为了该做的事 你就得做点牺牲
Sometimes you have to sacrifice to do the right thing.
我们每次商量后都一致认为
We always end up agreeing
送丹尼去德文霍斯特是应该的
that Devonhurst is the right thing for Daniel.
也许我们该想想 为自己什么是该做的了
Well, maybe we should start thinking about what’s right for us.
女儿因我们没有修理自己的院子而遭耻笑
Our daughter is suffering because we won’t fix up our own yard.
这不是我们的院子
It’s not our yard.
你怎能那么说 理查德
How can you say that, Richard? How?
我们在这住了12年
We’ve lived here for 12 years…
12年来我们一直说只是暂住 但并不是
…and for 12 years we’ve been saying it’s temporary, but it’s not.
这就是我们的家
This is our home.
想住一个可以引以为豪的地方有错吗
Is it wrong to wanna live somewhere you can be proud of?
攒够钱送孩子去大学有错吗
To have enough to send your kids to college?
或许是时候考虑一下政♥府♥的福利机构了
Maybe it’s time we considered government care.
决不能把我兄弟送那儿去
We are not moving my brother.
他比你自己的孩子更重要吗
He’s more important than your own children?
-爸 -你竟敢这么说
– Dad! – How dare you!
别吵了 爸 别吵了
Stop it, Dad! Please, just stop.
对不起 朱莉安娜 这不是你的错
I’m sorry. Julianna, this is not your fault.
我们会想出办法的 我保证
We’ll work this out, I promise.
那是我第一次听到我父母大吵
That was the first time I ever heard my parents really yell at each other.
今晚的事我很抱歉
I’m sorry about tonight.
那晚他们分别来到我房♥间
That night they each came into my room.
父亲讲了他弟弟的事 以及他如何爱他
My father talked about his brother and how much he loved him…
以及他如何答应父母要一直照顾他
…and how he promised his parents he’d always take care of him.
母亲则告诉我 她有多爱我的父亲
My mother talked about how much she loved my father…
爱他的坚强和善良
…for his strength and kind heart.
当吻我晚安时
When she kissed me good night…
她在我耳边说 在所有上天给她的赐福中
…she whispered that of all her many blessings,
我是最重要的
I was her best.
我为爸爸感到难过
I felt sorry for my father.
也为妈妈难过
I felt sorry for my mother.
不过 拥有他们我觉得很幸运
But most of all, I felt lucky for me that they were mine.
我努力把整理庭院的原因
I wanted to think the reason I started working on my yard…
想的跟布莱斯无关
…had nothing to do with Bryce.
只是为了美化住♥宅♥
It was about making our house better.
既然他那样处理鸡蛋
After what he did with the eggs,
我又何必在意他想什么
why should I care what he thought about anything?
但我还是在意了
But I did.
你是在做修剪还是想把它劈死啊
Are you pruning that or trying to hack it to death?
我叫切特·邓肯 布莱斯的外公
Hi. I’m Chet Duncan, Bryce’s grandfather.
很抱歉这么晚才过来自我介绍
Sorry it’s taken me so long to come over and introduce myself.
很高兴见到你
Nice to meet you.
你是想把枝修剪得一样高吗
So are you trimming all these to the same height?
是啊 我是这么想的 就是不知道怎么做
Well, yeah, that’s what I was thinking, but I don’t know.
如果把它们全除了 你觉得会更好些吗
Do you think it would look better to take them out?
这些是红豆杉灌木 修剪好了会很棒的
Oh, these are Hicksii shrubs. These will prune up nicely.
邓肯先生
Listen, Mr. Duncan.
叫我切特就行
Call me Chet.
切特
Chet.
如果你是因为布莱斯说的话才过来的
If you’re here because of what Bryce said…
我不需要你来帮忙
…I don’t need your help.
我在报纸上读到过你的消息
Read about you in the paper.
要是瑞妮在一定会跟你坐树上的
Renee would’ve sat up in that tree with you.
她会在树上呆上一整夜
She would’ve sat up there all night.
瑞妮?
Renee?
我妻子
My wife.
你让我想起了她
You remind me a lot of her.
我们在院子里忙活了几周
We worked on the yard for weeks.
边干活边聊天
And the whole time we worked, we talked.
-就这儿吗 -对 很好
– Right there? – Perfect, yeah.
他想了解更多有关梧桐树的事
He wanted to know more about the sycamore tree.
他非常清楚
He knew exactly what it meant…
所谓整体大于部分之和的含义
…about the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
他说人也是一样
He said it was the same with people…
只不过对于人 整体有时反而更小
…but sometimes with people, the whole could be less.
我觉得这很有意思
I thought that was pretty interesting.
我开始观察那些从小学就认识的人
I started looking at people i’d known since elementary school…
想看看他们
…trying to figure out if they
是大于还是小于各自的部分之和
were more or less than the sum of their parts.
切特说得对 很多人作为整体反而更小
Chet was right. A lot of them were less.
在所有同学里
Of all my classmates,
我唯一不确定的就是布莱斯
the one person I couldn’t seem to place was Bryce.
要是以前 我会毫无疑问地说
Until recently, I would’ve said with absolute certainty…
作为整体他远比他的部分之和要大
…that he was greater, far greater, than the sum of his parts.
现在我却不那么确定了

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
前一篇文章弱点
下一篇文章实习生 The Intern
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!