And thus another near-death experience…
又一次致命接触被成功避免了
in my ongoing saga with juli Baker had been successfully avoided.
直到一周后
Until one week later.
布莱斯 又给你拿了些鸡蛋
Hi, Bryce. Brought you some more eggs.
-谢谢 -你家人喜欢上一批吗
– Thanks. – Did your family like the first batch?
还用问吗
Do you even have to ask?
太好了 学校见
Great. See you at school.
我本以为这是一次性事件
What I hoped would be a one-time event…
可这只是一段谎言阴谋和欺骗生涯的开始
was just the beginning of a life consumed with lies, intrigue and deception.
每天早上我都盯着朱莉
Every morning I’d be on the lookout for Juli…
这样如果她要来
so if she happened to come,
我就能在她敲门之前把门打开
I could whip the door open before she knocked.
谢谢
Thanks.
然后在有人注意到之前把鸡蛋扔掉
Then I’d dump the eggs before anyone noticed.
这是为什么 为什么我就是没法面对她
And why? Why couldn’t I just face her?
为什么我就不能说
Why couldn’t I just say:
不 谢谢 不想要
“No, thanks. Don’t want them.
不需要 拿去给蛇吃吧
Don’t need them. Give them to the snake”?
我是真的怕伤了她的感情呢
Was I really afraid of hurting her feelings…
还是因为我怕她呢
or was I just afraid of her?
现在 你要确定你…
Now, you wanna make sure you get it…
最初布贝老师建议我选孵蛋作科研课题时
When Mrs. Brubeck first suggested hatching eggs as my science project…
我还觉得没多大意思
I was less than excited.
直到我第一次看到生命的迹象
That is, until I saw my first sign of life.
那就是吗
Is that it?
-那个就是胚胎 -哇
– That’s the embryo. Heh. – Wow.
-看起来像个豆子 -确实
– It looks like a bean. – It does.
试试别的鸡蛋
Let’s try the other ones.
突然感觉就真实起来了
Suddenly it felt real.
所有的蛋都是有生命的
All the eggs were alive.
就好象每个蛋里面都有一个豆子宝宝
There were, like, little bean babies inside every one.
科学展那天 六个蛋全都孵出小鸡了
On the day of the fair, all six chicks hatched.
真没想到啊
What are the odds?
科学展
今年的一等奖由朱莉·贝克获得
This year’s top prize goes to Juli Baker…
她获奖的的出色项目是
for her wonderful project:
“一只鸡的诞生”
“A Chicken is Born.”
我得了第一名
I won first place.
这很酷 但我真正关心的是我的小鸡们
And that was cool, but all I really cared about were my chicks.
来吧 快吃吧
There you go. There you go, guys.
我妈妈对养鸡没多大兴趣
My mom wasn’t crazy about us raising chickens.
可我再三央求
But I begged and pleaded.
我跟她说我会打理一切 我说到做到了
I told her I would take care of everything. And I did.
阿♥扁♥在哪
Where’s Clyde?
阿♥扁♥
Clyde?
阿♥扁♥ 怎么了
Hey, Clyde. What’s the matter?
你还好吧 你不饿吗
Are you okay? Aren’t you hungry?
过来 到这来 怎么了宝贝
Come on. Come here. What’s wrong, baby?
过来
Come here.
你不应该叫阿♥扁♥ 叫阿珍才对
Hey, you’re not Clyde. You’re Clydette.
妈妈
Mom!
结果 我的鸡下的蛋我们都吃不完
As it turned out, my hens laid more eggs than we could eat.
一开始我们还想努力赶上进度
At first we tried to keep up…
但是在一个月的煎炒烹炸之后
but after a month of boiling, frying and deviling…
就像电影《变形怪体》里一样
like that movie The Blob,
我们被鸡蛋打败了
we were being overtaken by eggs.
当邻居斯杜比太太来敲门时 转机来了
Then opportunity in the form of our neighbor, Mrs. Steuby, knocked.
你好 亲爱的
Hello, dear.
如果你有多余的鸡蛋 我很乐意买♥♥
If you ever have any extra, I’d be happy to buy them from you.
-真的吗 -当然
– Really? – Certainly.
我还知道赫尔姆斯太太也想要
And I happen to know that Mrs. Helms would be interested as well.
-太好了 -没什么比新鲜鸡蛋更好了
– Great. – Nothing like fresh eggs.
谢谢 斯杜比太太
Thanks, Mrs. Steuby.
可不是么 亲爱的 再见
You bet, dear. Bye.
有了斯杜比太太和赫尔姆斯太太
Between Mrs. Steuby and Mrs. Helms,
我鸡蛋过剩的问题解决了
my egg overflow problem was solved.
我想到也该拿点鸡蛋给洛斯奇太太
Then I realized that Mrs. Loski deserved eggs too.
但我觉得不该对她收费
But I didn’t think it would be right to charge her.
她是个非常好的邻居
She had been such a good neighbor,
我们东西用完时她会借给我们
lending us supplies when we ran out…
我们车坏时会让我妈搭车
…giving my mother a ride when our car wouldn’t start…
送她点鸡蛋真是微不足道
…it was the least I could do.
再说 就算被布莱斯撞见
Besides, if I happened to run into Bryce,
也不会是世界末日
that wouldn’t be the end of the world.
嗨 布莱斯
Hi, Bryce.
到我第三次给洛斯奇家送蛋时
By the third time I brought eggs over to the Loskis…
我意识到布莱斯在等我
…I realized Bryce was waiting for me.
等着打开门说
Waiting to pull open the door and say,
“谢谢 朱莉 学校见”
“Thanks, Juli. See you at school.”
回报是 我能和世上最明亮迷人的
And in return, I got a few moments alone…
那双眼睛独处片刻
…with the world’s most dazzling eyes.
谢谢 朱莉 学校见
Thanks, Juli. See you at school.
真是太值了
It was a bargain.
直到某一天 就不再是这样了
Until the day it wasn’t.
那是在梧桐树被砍倒两星期后
It was two weeks after the sycamore tree was cut down…
我正开始恢复正常
…and I was just starting to feel normal again.
嗨 朱莉 真准时
Hey, Juli. Right on schedule.
嗯 风雨无阻
Yeah, well, neither rain nor sleet.
-嗯? -就像邮差那样
– Huh? – You know, the mailman thing?
哦对
Oh. Right.
那 你还会坐校车吗
So, um, will you start riding the bus again?
不知道 自那之后我就没再坐过
I don’t know. I haven’t been up there since…
那里看起来没那么糟了 都清理干净了
It doesn’t look so bad anymore. It’s all cleared away.
我得准备上学了
Well, um, I better get ready for school.
学校见吧
Guess I’ll see you there.
学校见
See you.
布莱斯说的或许没错
Maybe Bryce was right.
也许我该恢复乘校车了
Maybe it was time I started riding the bus again.
他的意思不就是希望我去坐车嘛
After all, didn’t he just tell me he wanted me to?
布莱斯·洛斯奇是想我了吧
Could it be that Bryce Loski actually misses me?
朱莉 你还在这干嘛
Juli? What are you still doing here?
只是在想事情
I was just thinking.
今天是收垃圾的日子 垃圾桶在门口
It’s pickup day. The cans are in front.
知道 要帮忙吗
I know. You need some help?
不用 我晚点再扔吧
No. Maybe I’ll do it later.
那些是我的蛋吗
Are those my eggs?
嗯 我失手摔地上了
Yeah. Yeah, I dropped them.
它们根本没破
They’re not broken.
为什么扔掉
Why are you throwing them away?
你不想要吗
Don’t you want them?
不是我 我爸觉得不值得冒风险
It wasn’t me. My dad didn’t think it was worth the risk.
风险? 什么风险
Risk? What risk?
沙门氏菌
Salmonella.
你说什么啊 他怕中毒吗
What are you talking about? He’s afraid of being poisoned?
朱莉 看看你们后院 真是一团糟
Well, Juli, I mean, look at your back yard. It’s a complete mess.
到处都是鸡屎
It’s, like, covered in turds.
乱讲 我每天都给小鸡们清扫的
That’s not true. I clean up after my girls every day.
我们只是不想伤害你的感情
We just didn’t wanna hurt your feelings.
你每次都把它们扔掉吗
Have you always thrown them away?
斯杜比太太和赫尔姆斯太太可是花钱买♥♥我的蛋
You know, Mrs. Steuby and Mrs. Helms pay me for my eggs.
-真的? -一打6毛钱
– They do? – They pay me 60 cents a dozen.
我不知道
I didn’t know.
你怎么能这样
How could you?
我很抱歉
I’m sorry.
你才不会
No, you’re not.
不久我意识到
It didn’t take me long to realize that
我和朱莉·贝克的老问题换成了新问题
I’d traded in my old problems with Juli Baker for a whole set of new ones.
她生我的气比她烦扰我更糟糕
It was actually worse having her mad at me than having her annoy me.
她对我的不理不睬一直在提醒着我
The way she ignored me was a constant reminder…
我是个混♥蛋♥
…that I’d been a jerk.
一天 我和伽利特打完篮球回家
Then one day I was coming home from playing basketball with Garrett..

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
前一篇文章弱点
下一篇文章实习生 The Intern
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!