Kathy and Bill have been divorced for a couple of years, Green.
叫她莱斯小姐 会把大家搞糊涂的
Calls herself Miss Lacy and confuses everybody.
大家都很友好 很有教养 也很笨
All very friendly, very civilized, and very dumb.
就这样
Likes your stuff, though.
请坐吧 格林先生
Please sit down, Mr. Green.
– 比尔 给我来杯酒 – 好的
– Bill, would you get me another? – Sure.
– 和刚才一样吗 – 是的 谢谢
– Way it was before all right? – Just right. Thank you.
我没有拜读过你所有的文章 格林先生
I haven’t read everything you’ve written, Mr. Green,
– 但是我看过… – 谢谢
– but what I have has been… – Thanks.
很多人直接叫他斯卡利
What do people call a guy whose first name is Schuyler?
– 可以 – 太好了
– Phil. – Good.
我就不用叫他格林了
Then I don’t have to say “Green” all the time.
叫他的姓太正式了 斯卡利根本不是名字
Too haughty, last names, and Schuyler is impossible.
– 哈哈 是啊 – 我不会把狗叫做斯卡利
– That bad? – I wouldn’t call a dog Schuyler.
– 哈哈哈哈 – 约翰
– Hahahaha – John.
那是我妈妈的名字
It was my mother’s name.
也是我的中间名字
My middle one.
我主编斯坦福大学报时
I started signing my stuff Schuyler Green
总是用斯卡利·格林这个名字
when I was on the college paper at Stanford.
我觉得比用菲利普要好
It sounded better to me, I guess, than Philip.
就像索姆塞特·莫姆代替了威廉姆
Like Somerset Maugham instead of William,
辛克莱尔·刘易斯代替了哈里
Sinclair Lewis instead of Harry.
索姆塞特·辛克莱尔·斯卡利
Somerset, Sinclair, Schuyler, all S’s.
这些名字可真有意思
Maybe that means something.
是啊
Yes.
能不能告诉大家你正在写什么 格林先生
Do you mind telling people what you’re writing now, Mr. Green?
诶 当然可以
No, not at all.
我 我眼下 什么也没有写 但是…
Well, I’m not writing anything just now, but…
我来说吧
Let me tell her.
我请他写一个连载文章 谈反犹太主义
I’ve asked him to do a series on anti-Semitism.
可以实事求是地写
Break it wide open. Been wanting to do it for some time.
– 可以把我列在名单上 – 你
– Do I get a credit line? – You?
– 是啊 – 为什么
– Yes. – For what?
你不记得了 在去年的圣诞节
Well, don’t you remember back around Christmas of last year,
那位犹太老师被迫辞职的事了 那就是我…
that Jewish schoolteacher resigning? I was the one…
噢 我当然记得了 可我忘了谁说的了
Why, sure. I knew somebody was after me, but I forgot who.
约翰 杰克逊夫妇来了
John, the Jacksons are here.
好的
All right.
我愿意听各方面的意见
I’m always stealing ideas without knowing it, Phil.
这样的杂♥志♥才有创新
That’s what keeps the magazine original.
真有趣 这题材是你建议的
Funny, your suggesting the series.
有趣 为什么
Is it? Why?
噢…
Oh…
有很多原因
Lots of reasons.
你对人很快地就形成了看法 格林先生
You make up your mind too quickly about people, Mr. Green.
至少是对女人
Women, anyway.
我看到你坐下来就知道了
I saw you do it when you sat down.
外表还可以
As apparent as all that?
你对我的看法呢
You cross-filed and indexed me…
嗯…
Hmm…
有点外向 有点自信
A little too well bred, self-confident,
有些做作 行为荒诞 是个典型的纽约人
artificial, a trifle absurd, typical New York.
不 我还没来得及呢
No, I didn’t have time for all that.
噢 你已经想过了 我甚至还流露出了
Oh, yes, you did. I even left out a few things.
一种讨厌的上层社会的举止 非常大的嗓门
Faintly irritating upper-class manner, over-bright voice.
好了好了 我投降 你赢了
All right, all right, I give up. You win.
对不起 我只是忍♥不住
I’m sorry. I couldn’t resist it,
因为这不完全是真的
because it’s only partly true.
你是第一次来东部吗
Is this your first trip east?
噢 不 我不是第一次
No, it’s not my first trip.
我以前每次到这儿来总是…
Every other time I’ve been here, though,
第二天就坐飞机 火车或轮船回去了
I’ve had a plane or railroad or boat ticket for tomorrow.
准备常住吗
Are you going to stay?
大概是吧
I think so.
你已经了解了我不少情况了
You’re getting a pretty complete story on me.
现在该轮到你了
Now it’s your turn.
噢 你已经知道我离婚了
Well, you know I’m divorced.
我正在管理一所幼儿园 大家都叫我莱斯小姐
I help run a nursery school. I’m called Miss Lacy.
你想问些什么
Do you want just anything?
都想问
Just anything.
吃饭了
Dinner.
吃饭了
Dinner?
吃饭的时候别看书 汤姆
No reading comics at the table, Tommy. Put it away.
一会儿就看完了
Let me finish. I’m right at the end.
吃饭了也别找什么秘密 菲尔
No making mysteries at the table, either, Phil.
秘密
Mysteries?
我还没告诉你儿子呢
You haven’t even mentioned your assignment.

Oh?
他们要我写一个揭露反犹太主义的系列报道
He wants me to do a series on anti-Semitism.
你好像不是太热心
You don’t sound very enthusiastic.
是的
I’m not.
他们非要你写吗
Will he insist on your doing it?
噢 并不是这样的
Oh, no, he’s not that kind of an editor.
妈妈 你的鸡蛋怎么做得这么好吃
Ma, what do you do to just eggs to make them taste this way?
这是秘密
Pray over them.
昨晚上玩得痛快吗
Have a good time last night?
是的
Yeah.
你需要新环境 你需要认识新人
You know, you need new people as much as you need new places.
大家都一样 不仅仅是你
I mean, everybody does, not just you.
他们让我立刻动笔
Thought it was a good bunch to start on.
事实上 这揭露反犹太主义的点子
Funny thing. It was a girl, Minify’s niece,
是由蒙纳菲的侄女出的 真有趣
who suggested that series on anti-Semitism. It was funny.
这可难说
You don’t say.
你永远不知道女人下一步想些什么
Why, women will be thinking next, Phil.
– 什么是反犹太主义 – 什么
– What’s anti-Semitism? – Hmm?
什么是反犹太主义
What’s anti-Semitism?
有些人因为
Oh, that’s where some people
别人是犹太人就不太喜欢他们
don’t like other people just because they’re Jews.

Oh?
为什么 他们很坏
Why? Are they bad?
他们有些很坏 有些也不 就像我们大家一样
Some are, sure. Some aren’t. It’s like everybody else.
可什么是犹太人呢 请说下确切的定义
What are Jews, anyway? I mean, exactly.
噢 你还记得
Well, you remember last week when you
– 问我那个大教堂吗 – 记得
– asked me about that big church? – Sure.
我告诉你世界上有许多不同的教堂
I told you there were lots of different churches.
是的
Yeah.
好的 上那教堂的人
Well, the people who go to that particular church
叫做天主教♥徒♥
are called Catholics, see.
另外一些人上别的教堂
And there are people who go to other churches,
叫做新教♥徒♥
and they’re called Protestants.
还有一些人上另外的教堂
Then there are others who go to still different ones,
他们叫犹太人
and they’re called Jews.
他们称那种教堂是犹太教堂或寺庙
Only they call their kind of churches synagogues or temples.
为什么不喜欢他们
And why don’t some people like those?
这有点像…我这么解释吧
Well, that’s kind of a tough one to explain, Tom.
有些人恨天主教♥徒♥ 有些人恨犹太人
Some people hate Catholics and some hate Jews.
所以有些人恨美国人
And no one hates us, ’cause we’re Americans.
不是的 不是的…
Well, no, no. That’s…
那是另外一回事
That’s another thing again.
你可以做美国天主教♥徒♥
See, you can be an American and a Catholic,
或者美国新教♥徒♥ 或者美国犹太人
or an American and a Protestant, or an American and a Jew.
你听我说 汤姆 是这样的
But, look, Tom, it’s like this.
有一样东西叫做国家
One thing’s your country, see? Like America,
就像美国 法国 德国 俄♥国♥或其他地方
or France, or Germany, or Russia, all the countries.
他们的国旗不同 服装不同
The flag is different, the uniform is different,
语言不同
and the language is different.
吃的也不同
And the airplanes are marked different?
是的 不同
Differently, that’s right.
另一样东西叫宗教
But the other thing is religion,
像犹太教 天主教或者基♥督♥教 新教
like the Jewish, or the Catholic, or the Protestant religions.
这些与国旗 服装 语言

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!