致卡尔·所罗门 《嚎叫》
“Howl” for Carl Solomon.
1955年 三藩市
我曾见过 这一代的精英
I saw the best minds of my generation
毁于疯狂
destroyed by madness,
挨着饿 歇斯底里 浑身赤♥裸♥
starving hysterical naked,
黎明时分 拖曳身躯行过黑人的街巷
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn
寻觅一剂迅猛的毒品
looking for an angry fix,
天使率领嬉皮士们
angel headed hipsters burning
在黑夜的机械气息中 渴望与繁星闪烁的发电机
for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo
建立古老无上的连系
in the machinery of night,
他们贫穷 衣衫褴褛
who poverty and tatters and
双眼深陷 头脑昏然
hollow eyed and high
坐在只有冷水的公♥寓♥中 在鬼蜮般的黑暗里抽烟
sat up smoking in the supernatural darkness of cold water flats
飘浮过城市上空 冥思爵士乐章彻夜不眠
floating across the tops of cities contemplating jazz.
《嚎叫》
“禁止” “城市之光书屋”
“属于垮掉一代的诗歌♥”
1955年 一位不曾出版过作品 年仅29岁的诗人
用四段诗歌♥向人们展示他眼中的世界
他命名此诗为
《嚎叫》
他名叫 艾伦·金斯堡
取材于庭审记录 采访及艾伦·金斯堡的《嚎叫》
动画灵感来源于艾伦·金斯堡与埃力·杜克的作品
《光明之诗》
1957年 纽约
偶尔在创作的时候 我觉得自己是主宰
Sometimes I feel in command when I’m writing.
当我被真心的泪水包围 就有这种感觉
When I’m in the heat of some truthful tears, yes.
其他时间 绝大多数都没这感觉
Other times… most of the time, not.
只是来回修改词句
You know, just diddling around…
像刻木雕一样 塑造漂亮的形状
Woodcarving, you know, finding a pretty shape,
大部分诗歌♥都是这样
like most of my poetry.
只有寥寥几次能达到
There’s only been a few times when I’ve reached a state of
完全掌控的境界
complete control.
比如《嚎叫》的一些段落 还有
Probably a piece of “Howl”, and…
其他诗歌♥的一两处
one or two moments in other poems.
一开始 我害怕的是
The beginning of the fear for me was
爸爸看了我的诗会怎么想
what would my father think of something that I would write.
就在我写《嚎叫》的时候
At the time, writing “Howl”,
我就假定它是
I assumed when writing it that
不会发表的
it was not something that would be published,
因为
because…
我不想让爸爸知道诗中写什么
I wouldn’t want my daddy to see what was in there.
所以我假定了它不会发表 这样
So, I assumed it wouldn’t be published, therefore, I could
我就可以随便写想写的东西
write anything that I wanted to.
两年前
我曾见过 这一代最杰出的头脑
我曾见过 这一代的精英
I saw the best minds of my generation
毁于疯狂
destroyed by madness,
挨着饿 歇斯底里 浑身赤♥裸♥
starving hysterical naked,
黎明时分 拖曳身躯行过黑人的街巷
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn
寻觅一剂迅猛的毒品
looking for an angry fix,
天使率领嬉皮士们
angel headed hipsters
在黑夜的机械气息中 渴望与繁星闪烁的发电机
burning for the ancient heavenly connection
建立古老无上的连系
to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,
他们贫穷 衣衫褴褛
who poverty and tatters
双眼深陷 头脑昏然
and hollow eyed and high
坐在只有冷水的公♥寓♥中
sat up smoking in the supernatural darkness
在鬼蜮般的黑暗里抽烟
of cold water flats
飘浮过城市上空 冥思爵士乐章
floating across the tops of cities, contempiating jazz,
他们眼神冷峻闪亮 进出高等学府
who passed through universities with radiant cool eyes
在学者们的论战中
hallucinating Arkansas and
幻遇阿肯色和布莱克启示的悲剧
Blake-light tragedy among the scholars of war,
他们因疯狂 而被逐出学院
who were expelled from the academies for crazy
因在画着骷髅的窗户发表猥亵的颂歌♥
and publishing obscene odes on the windows of the skull,
他们穿着短裤蜷缩在毛坯房♥里
who cowered in unshaven rooms in underwear,
焚烧纸币于废纸篓中
burning their money in wastebaskets
隔墙倾听恐怖之声
and listening to the Terror through the wall,
他们腰间捆着大♥麻♥
who got busted in their pubic beards
趾骨被踢
returning through Laredo
穿越拉雷多返回纽约
with a belt of marijuana for New York,
他们在粉刷过的旅馆内喷火
who ate fire in paint hoteis
或在天堂乐径上畅饮松节油
or drank turpentine in Paradise Alley,
或死去
death
或夜复一夜涤炼焚烧自己的躯壳
or purgatoried their torsos night after night,
用梦幻 用毒品 用清醒的梦魇
with dreams, with drugs, with waking nightmares,
用酒精 用阳♥具♥和无尽的寻欢作乐
alcohol and cock and endless balls,
1975年 三藩市
法官大人 以上所述虽然不多
What I wanted to read into the record, your honor,
但与本案息息相关
is not very much, but it is pertinent to our case.
为什么你没有出庭
Why aren’t you at the trial?
因为
‘Cause…
那桩案件与我无关
the trial’s not about me.
但我倒要感谢他们
As much as I have to thank them
让我彻底出名了
completely for my fame…
他们起诉的是我的出版人劳伦斯·菲戈黑
It’s the publisher, Lawrence Ferlinghetti that was
《嚎叫》出版人
他被指控出♥售♥淫秽资料
busted for selling obscene materiais.
我想展示一下《嚎叫》的第一页
What I want to show is on the first page inside of “Howl”.
上面写着 “本书由天堂出版”
It says, “all these books are published in heaven.”
还有
And…
我不太懂它的意思
I don’t quite understand that, but anyway,
但是记录表明
let the record show, your honor,
此书是由”城市之光口袋本出版社”出版的
it’s published by the City Lights Pocketbook Shop.
一旦罪名成立 菲戈黑先生就要坐牢了
Mr. Ferlinghetti could go to jall if convicted?
我不希望他坐牢 那太可怕了
I hope not. That would be terrible.
“书战进行中”
“《嚎叫》庭审 万人空巷”
“陷入困境的吟游诗人的大日子”
“评论家视《嚎叫》为文学 检察官力寻污点”
“保守派法官”
“淫秽:内容涉及性 某种程度上含有不道德倾向 毫无社会意义的物品 -美国最高法♥院♥”
请问您的姓名
May I have your name, please?
嘉儿·波特
Gall Potter.
你是否曾从事写作
And have you done any writing yourself?
是的 我写过很多文章
Yes, I have done considerable.
多明尼加大学 英语教师
我教书的同时兼♥职♥于NBC电视台 已有十年历史
I was on an NBC station for 10 years while I was teaching.
我是社区服务总监
I was community service director,
教育协调员
educational coordinator…
我改写过《浮士德》
I have rewritten “Faust”.
尽管花了三年的时间 但我确实做到了
It took me three years to do that, but I did it.
我重写了”每个人”
I rewrote “Everyman”.
这并非你们想象的那么有趣
That isn’t as funny as you might think.
抱歉 女士
Pardon me, madam.
女士们先生们
Ladies and gentlemen,
这是一次有关重要条例的庭审
this is a trial that involves serious issues.
现希望各位给予证人必要的尊重
Now kindly accord the witness the courtesy you would want to be accorded.
好吧
Alright.
请问你认为《嚎叫及其他诗歌♥》此书
And did you form an opinion as to whether or not the book called
是否具备任何文学价值
“Howl and Other Poems” has any literary merit?
我认为它没有任何文学价值
I think it has no literary merit.
请继续
Go ahead.
要具备文学风格 必须包含
In order to have literary style, you must have
格式 措辞 流畅性还要逻辑清晰
form, diction, fluidity, clarity.
我这说的还只是风格
Now, I am speaking only of style.
在内容上 每一部文学巨作
And in content, every great piece of literature,
任何能划分为”文学”的作品
anything that can really be classified as literature, is…
都具备某些高尚的道德内涵
of some moraI greatness,
而我觉得这书里一点都没有
and I think this falls to the nth degree.
我明白了 你还有其他理由吗
I see. Can you think of any other reasons?
有 关于语言的运用方面
Yes… Use of language.
他所用的修辞
In regards to the figures of speech he uses,
流于花言巧语 这是自然的
he falls in rhetoric, of course,
首先这些比喻非常粗糙
for one thing, because his figures of speech are crude,
阅读时仿佛置身于排水沟
and you feel Iike you are going through the gutter
在沟中穿行
when you read that stuff.
我保证 我没在那沟里多待哪怕一会
I didn’t linger on it long, I assure you.
你可以进行交叉询问了
You may cross examine.
下台吧
Step down.
你还要问什么吗
There’s something more you want?
下台吧
Step down.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!