I would love not to miss that octave.
我不想弹错这组八度音阶
That’s a hard thing.
但有点困难
How can I be sure that I’m gonna get there?
怎么才能确定我能弹到那个音阶呢
If I open in-in advance…
如果我提前一点开始
That’s what I’ll do. I’ll open my hand in advance.
我就这么弹 会提前一点开始弹
Okay.
好的
I keep hitting, and I keep overshooting the runway here.
这里老是弹错 滑到另一个音
See? It will-not right.
看到了吗? 这样是不对的
So something has to go.
所以必须要处理一下
Okay.
好的
I have to get there in advance.
我必须要提前弹到那
And here we go again.
让我们再来一次
Got it.
可以了
Now less.
轻一点
You don’t want to play a staccato that sounds…
不要把断奏弹得
Like you’re jogging through the park.
听起来像在公园里慢跑一样
See, the most important thing-
所以 最重要的是
One of the most important things I would say-
我认为最重要的事之一
although some people think it is the most important thing-
也很多人认为最重要的
is an even pulse,
就是平脉
a pulse that never stops.
一种永不停止的脉冲
It’s never going to stop.
永远不会停止
You know how the gurus train us to say,
你知道大♥师♥是怎么说的吗
This-like a drone of sound, right, that never stops?
就像是雄蜂的声音 对吧 从不停止
We have to modify the pulse there.
我们要改变脉冲
But the eighth notes never stop, see?
但是八分音符不要停止 懂吗
Float your right arm more.
右胳膊抬起来点
See, move over.
看着 坐过去点
So even though it’s a staccato-
即使是断奏
You can sit.
你可以坐这
Even though it’s a staccato…
即使是断奏
Pedal, pedal.
踩踏板 踩踏板
So why don’t I tell you why I’ve asked you all here?
我为什么叫大家来到这里呢
I have been
我最近
struggling recently
一直在挣扎找寻
with finding why it is that I do what I do.
我所做的事情的初衷是什么
I knew that, the superficial things-
我知道 表面的东西
material wealth, the world thinking you’re a big shot-
物质财富 让大家觉得你是个大人物
I kind of knew that that was phony,
我多少也知道 这很虚伪
that there was something inauthentic to build on.
这一切都是由不真实的东西建造起来的
But I didn’t know what was authentic.
但我不知道这不真实的东西是什么
My friend Tony Zito invited me over to dinner,
我的朋友托尼·济托邀请我共进晚餐
and Seymour Bernstein was sitting next to me,
当时西默·伯恩斯坦就坐在我旁边
and I immediately felt kind of safe around him
然后我突然觉得在他身边我很有安全感
to talk to him about some of these things.
跟他讲一些我的困惑
And at this one dinner, Seymour helped me
仅仅在这一次晚宴中 西默对我的帮助
more than anyone in my own profession had been able to.
就胜过了之前我职业生涯里的任何一个人
Don’t let go of this E…
快弹到这个E音时不要松手
Until it’s time…
直到该弹的时候
Until it’s time to play it.
直到
And then it’ll sound perfect.
那样听起来就完美了
Oh, now, a dream.
哦 现在 真是美得像梦一样
That was better than mine.
弹得比我都好
You’re not allowed to play better than I do.
但是你可不能超过我
One day, a Dr. Kimmelman called me up
有一天 一个叫坎摩尔曼的博士给我打电♥话♥
and asked if I would teach his son.
问我可不可以教他的儿子弹琴
I asked him, how old is his son?
我问他 你儿子多大啦
He said, “Five. ”
他说 五岁
I said, “Five?
我说 五岁?
Well, I never taught anyone at the age of five. ”
好吧 我可从来没教过五岁的孩子弹琴
He said, “Oh, my son is very bright.
他说 哦 我儿子非常聪明
Yeah, I think you’ll enjoy him. ”
我想你会喜欢他的
And his mother, during the lessons,
在我们上课期间
she has a little pad, and she’s sketching.
他妈妈拿一个小画板画画
One day,
有一天
she brings me this beautiful sculpture of my cat.
她带给我一个非常漂亮的我的小猫雕塑
Michael, you didn’t know I was going to bring this, did you?
迈克尔 你没想到我会把它带来 对吧
No, I didn’t. I-
是的 我没想到 我
Do you remember… Of course.
你还记得吗 当然
That your mother gave this to me?
这是你母亲送给我的
Of course. Yeah. Of course.
当然记得 是的 当然
Well, Michael eventually became incorrigible.
然而 迈克尔最终还是变得无可救药了
He wouldn’t practice.
他不愿意练习
Well, I don’t think it was “eventually. ”
好吧 但是我认为不应该说”最终”
I don’t think I ever practiced, do you?
我好像从来就没有练过 你还记得吗
You always would more or less say, “Listen, Michael,
你有时候会说 听着 迈克尔
“I love you dearly, but, you know,
我非常爱你 但是 你知道
maybe you don’t want to be doing this. ”
也许你并不想成为钢琴演奏家
I begged my mother for piano lessons.
我以前求妈妈帮我报钢琴课
We didn’t even have a piano.
我们连架钢琴都没有
So somebody gave us an old upright piano when I was six.
我六岁的时候 有人送给我们一架旧的立式钢琴
There was no music ever played in my house-ever.
但我家里从来没有任何音乐
We didn’t even own any records.
我们连唱片也没有
Right?
对吧
Right?
对吧
I got up early on a Sunday morning,
星期天的早上我很早就起床了
and I couldn’t wait to see what was in this book.
迫不及待想看看书里都写了什么
I turned the page,
我翻开书
and there was the Serenade by Schubert.
发现是舒伯特的小夜曲
It seemed to me that I always knew that piece.
我和它有一种似曾相识的感觉
My parents were sleeping on the second floor,
当时我父母在楼上睡觉
and my three sisters were all sleeping.
我的三个姐姐也在睡觉
So my mother heard the piano playing.
然后我母亲听见了钢琴声
She came down. She found me crying.
她下楼后发现我在哭泣
“Why are you crying?”
你为什么哭呢
“Oh, it’s the most beautiful piece I ever heard,” I told her.
哦 这是我听过的最美妙的曲子 我告诉她
I remember your Alice Tully Hall recital very well.
我记得你在爱丽丝杜莉厅独奏会非常成功
Really? Were you there?
真的吗? 当时你也在?
Yeah, I was a boy.
是的 当时我还是个小男孩
Do you- There is something-
你还 有一件事
It was a great experience in my life.
那是我人生中非常美好的经历
This was seeing somebody I loved deeply
看到我深爱的人
play in a way that I cou-
演奏出惟妙惟肖
I still remember it vividly.
令我至今难忘的曲子
You were phenomenal.
你非常了不起
The Tully Hall had just opened.
杜莉厅只是个开始
And there were other- other mitigating circumstances
还有一些其他的 那种看起来风平浪静的氛围
that made me crawl the wall with nervousness.
让我紧张到近乎去撞墙
I was a total wreck. Hmm.
我当时状态非常不好 嗯
In those days, you know,
那个时候 你知道的
the review came out the next day.
第二天就会出版评论
I’m walking on 76th Street,
我走在76号♥街道上
turning the pages, prepared to see the worst.
打开那篇文章 做了最坏的打算
It was by Donal Henahan. Mmhmm.
文章是多纳尔·赫纳汉(美国音乐评论家)写的 嗯
Boy, he was so terrible to pianists,
我天 他对钢琴家向来刻薄
but he gave me a rave review.
但他却给了我狂热的好评
“Seymour Bernstein triumphs at the piano. ”
“西默·伯恩斯坦征服了钢琴”
My friend Sheila Ohlendorf made a reception for me.
我的朋友塞拉·奥兰朵夫为我举办了庆功宴
Yeah.
是的
I came to the reception,
当我到达宴会时
and I said, “Sheila, could I speak to you in the back room?”
我说 塞拉 我能跟你借一步说话吗
I looked at her very sincerely,
我十分真诚地看着她
and I said to her,
然后对她说
“If you love me,
如果你爱我
you’ll never let me play in public again. ”
千万不要再让我在公众场合弹琴
When I was around the age of 15,
当我15岁左右的时候
I remember that I became aware
我记得我开始意识到
that when my practicing went well,
当我的练习进展得顺利时
everything else in life seemed to be harmonized by that.
生活中的其它事似乎也和谐起来
When my practicing didn’t go well,
当我的练习进展得不顺利时

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!