他本不应该吹嘘自己学习东西有多快
He shouldn’t have bragged he was a fast learner.
但是最糟的一点是当里奇批判我母亲的厨艺
But the worst was when Rich criticized my mother’s cooking…
然而他甚至不知道他做了什么
and he didn’t even know what he had done.
在中国的烹饪习俗中
As is the Chinese cook’s custom…
我母亲总是贬低自己的厨艺
my mother always insults her own cooking…
但是仅限于她的拿手菜
but only with the dishes she serves with special pride.
这道菜不够咸
This dish not salty enough.
没有味道 没法吃
No flavor. It’s too bad to eat.
但是请…
But please–
这时候就是暗示我们吃点
That was our cue to eat some…
并赞扬这是她做的最好吃的菜的时刻
and proclaim it the best she’d ever made.
你知道吗 林多
You know, Lindo…
这道菜只需要加一点酱油
all this needs is a little soy sauce.
你告诉她我们要结婚她什么反应
So, how’d your mom react when you told her about the wedding?
我根本没提
It never came up.
怎么会
How come?
她宁愿得直肠癌
She’d rather get rectal cancer.

Oh.
妈 烫一个大♥波♥浪 怎么样
Ma, a soft wave for body. What do you think?
她不想头发太短
Look, she doesn’t want it too short.
否则对于婚礼来说太拘谨
Otherwise it’ll be too tight for the wedding.
我们也不想看起来太怪或太卷
And we don’t want it looking too weird or kinky.
是不是 妈 不要太卷
Isn’t that right, Ma? Not too kinky?
为什么我女儿认为她在为我翻译英语
Why does my daughter think she’s translating English for me?
也许我不去了
Maybe I don’t go.
– 你什么意思 – 也许我不参加你的婚礼了
– What do you mean? – Maybe I don’t go to your wedding.
– 太荒唐了 – 或许已经够荒唐的了
– Oh, don’t be ridiculous. – Maybe already ridiculous.
对未来公家人来说 发型太荒唐
Hair too ridiculous for future husband’s family.
我可以看到她的脸面向我
I could see her face looking at me…
但不是看着我
but not seeing me.
她觉得羞愧
She was ashamed…
为做我女儿感到羞愧
so ashamed to be my daughter.

Ma?
– 怎么了 – 没事
– What’s wrong? – Nothing.
没事 我只是想起…
Nothing. I– I only thinking…
想起我母亲了
thinking about my mother…
我有多想成为她
how much I wanted to be like her.
你的母亲?
Your mother?
她告诉过我
She told me…
她对我的所有期望
all the hopes she had for me…
我永远不会忘记的话
words I would never forget.
你会比我有福气
耳朵长得和我的不一样
可是听人家说话要小心
自己要有主心骨
我跟你说的这些
你都往心里去了吗
都能真正记住不忘吗
你要知道
过了明天
我可再也没有机会
和你说这些了
在我记忆中
In my memory, my–
我的母亲对我很重要
my mother very important to me…
就如她的话
just like her words.
想要回忆很容易
Easy to appreciate memory.

Ma?
你为什么不喜欢里奇
Why don’t you like Rich?
你担心我不喜欢他?
It’s Rich you afraid I not like?
如果我不喜欢里奇
If I don’t like your Rich…
我会表现得很有礼貌 什么都不说
I act polite, say nothing;
让他得癌症
let him have big cancer…
让我女儿守寡
let my daughter be a widow.
我当然喜欢里奇
I like Rich. Of course I do…
不然怎么会让他娶这么好的女儿
to allow him to marry such a daughter.
你不知道
You don’t know–
你不知道你对我有种影响
You don’t know the power you have over me.
你的一句话 一个眼神
One word from you, one look…
我就…
and I’m…
又回到四岁 哭着入睡
four years old again, crying myself to sleep.
因为不管我做什么
Because nothing I do…
都不会取悦你
can ever, ever please you.
现在
Now–
你让我高兴
Now you make me happy.
看 看 看 妈 莺姨
Look, look, look, look, Ma, Ma, Auntie Ying, Auntie Ying.
– 我做到了 – 里奇
– I did it. – Rich!
去哪了 掉里面了吗
Where’d it go? Did it go inside?
– 搞错没 – 天啊 我就不能带你出来
-Oh, come on. -God, I can’t take you anywhere.
– 所以在哪里结束 – 莉娜 你想吃吗
– So where’d it end up? – Oh, Lena, do you want to eat?
– 谢谢 – 这有一副叉子
– Thank you. – Oh, here’s a fork.
– 好 – 我尽力了
– Okay. – Well, I’m trying.
嗒啦
Ta-la!
哇 太美啦
Wow! That’s beautiful, huh?
谢谢 好了 好了
怎么了 贵宾
What’s the matter, guest of honor?
– 就是 – 应该多吃点
– Yeah! – Should eat more!
你应该多吃 太瘦了
Should eat more! Too skinny!
我以为你说我发胖了
Well, I thought you said I was getting fat.
安美阿姨说的
Auntie An Mei said that.
– 你为什么老混淆我俩 – 看
– Why you always confusing us? – Oh, look.
琼对于要去中国很高兴
June so happy, going to China…
终于可以见到她姐姐了
see her sisters at last.
只是清蒸 不会让你胖的
Only steamed. Can’t get you fat.
素媛失去孩子
How terrible for Suyuan…
从来不知道她们是生是死
to lose your babies…
对她来说简直太可怕了
never know if they are alive or dead.
不过还有更糟的
Only one thing’s worse.
我才16岁
I was only 16.
不要去理他们
莺莺
莺莺
开瓜
狗屁
嗨 林萧
林萧
你好
BGM: 夜来香
从那以后 一切就像梦
After that, everything like this dream.
我们的婚礼
Our wedding…
我们的儿子
our son.
尊敬的先生们 女士们
谢谢你们的光临
现在我请著名的白燕小姐
为我的儿子
他和他的歌♥女
There he was
唱一首歌♥
在那边打情骂俏
with his opera singer.
这不是他第一次有女人
This was not his first conquest…
但却是第一次我允许自己在意
only the first I permitted myself to recognize.
那时我才知道我嫁给了什么样的男人
By then I knew what kind of man I had married:
以虐人为乐
happiest when he was cruel.
我来 我来
他变得健忘
He became forgetful.
放在那别动
以致于忘了第二天早上回家
So forgetful he had not returned by the next morning.
或者第二天晚上
Or the next evening.
她是谁呀
这个人是个妓♥女♥
和你一样
我的儿子
我的儿子
听他的声音
和我一样
响亮有力
瞧你的样子
看着让人恶心 一副贱相
把这些收拾掉
你听见了吗
我的整个人生在这一刻发生转折
My whole life turned in this moment.
如果我离开他或者杀了他
If I had left him or killed him…
我不会失去至关重要的东西
I would not have lost the one thing that mattered.
我的脑海中不断重复着一个想法
My mind kept repeating a single thought.
他夺走了我的纯真
He had taken from me my innocence…
我的青春 我的真心 我的一切
my youth, my heart, everything.
我就要夺走他唯一我能夺走的东西
So I took from him the only thing I could.
我的孩子轻盈地躺在我怀中
My baby was so light in my arms…
因为他的魂魄已经烟消云散了
because his little spirit had flown away.
我的灵魂也一同灰飞烟灭了
And with his, my spirit had also gone.
多年后 我移居到美国
Years later, I moved to America.
但是在中国的所作所为一直羁绊着我
But what I had done in China was always with me.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!