Shakespeare said, “Life was full of sound and fury,
莎士比亚有云 生活充满了喧哗与躁动
and in the end, signified nothing.”
到头来却毫无意义 [选自戏剧《麦克白》]
Okay, let’s begin with Helena.
咱们就从海伦娜说起吧
Cristal Delgiorno? Come in, my darling.
请问是克丽丝托·德尔乔诺吗 请进 亲爱的
I’m Helena Shepridge.
我是海伦娜·谢伯里奇
Ain’t you beautiful? Thank you.
你真漂亮 谢谢
Gabriella told me you wanted a reading.
加布丽艾拉跟我说你想算命
She said you know the future.
她说你能预知未来
I adore Gabriella. She’s such a gifted masseuse.
我很喜欢加布丽艾拉 她是个天才按♥摩♥师
I must say, I’ve become addicted to those massages.
我得说 我都有点按♥摩♥上瘾了
They’re the only thing
只有按♥摩♥能缓解
that relieves the throbbing in my neck.
我脖子的抽痛
Will it be cash or check, darling?
你是现金还是支票支付呢 亲爱的
Gabriella told you the fee?
加布丽艾拉跟你谈过费用了吗
Believe me, it’s far less expensive than
这比我看过的那些”出色的”
these fancy psychiatrists I’ve been seeing…
精神科医生可便宜多了
Have a little seat, then. Make yourself comfy. Thank you.
那么请坐吧 别客气 谢谢
They sit there all stony-faced when you need help.
你明明需要帮助 他们却板着脸坐在那儿
These horrible, horrible medications,
还有他们开的那些烂药
they make me feel even more fidgety.
吃了之后心里更烦
Is there something I could sip on?
有什么可以喝的东西吗
Do you want a cup of tea?
我去给你倒杯茶吧
Have you any sherry?
有没有雪利酒
A little drinky. Scotch?
想喝点酒啊 威士忌行不
Even better.
那更好
I want to tell you something, darling.
亲爱的 我想跟你说
My first impression of you
我对你的第一印象是
is a woman who is constantly blaming herself.
你总是不断自责
Am I right?
说对了吗
You’re being too hard on yourself, my darling.
你对自己太苛刻了 亲爱的
Thank you.
谢谢
Well, you’re very perceptive.
你很敏锐
When my husband walked out on me, I tried ending my life.
我丈夫离开我的时候 我一度想要自杀
Well, I imagine Gabriella told you that little tale.
我猜加布丽艾拉肯定把这些小事都跟你讲了
She’s such a gossip.
她那么长舌
I now realize that was foolish.
现在我知道那真蠢
I have everything to live for. I do, don’t I?
我还有着很多足以让自己活下去的理由 难道不是吗
I mean, is that what you see?
我是说 你能看到让我活下去的理由吧
I mean, do you see…
我想知道 你看到
Is my future hopeful?
我未来有希望吗
Shall I tell you something?
让我告诉你吧
I wish you were sitting here with me because all I am seeing
我希望你坐在我身边 因为我看到
is huge, cosmic waves moving towards you, of positive energy.
一股强大的宇宙正面能量正向你流动
You’re bathed in a rose light, my darling.
你就沐浴在玫瑰色的光辉中 亲爱的
You’ve got nothing but good coming to you, I promise you.
你将要迎来的一切都是好事 我向你保证
Well, 40 years of marriage is a long time.
四十年的婚姻很长
One becomes terribly dependent.
人会变得极度依赖对方
My husband walked out on me for one simple reason,
我丈夫离开我只有一个理由
I was too honest with him.
就是我对他太坦诚
I refused to allow him to delude himself.
我不许他自欺欺人
Meet Helena’s ex- husband, Alfie Shepridge.
让我们来看看海伦娜的前夫 艾尔非·谢伯里奇
He woke in the middle of the night,
他有天半夜惊醒
pictured eternity, lay there in a cold sweat,
想到自己的生命有天将要终结 出了一身冷汗
and has not been able to get back to sleep since.
就再也睡不着了
Suddenly, it became all jogging and health foods.
然后 他突然开始练习晨跑 饮食均衡
And give me one more set of 12.
再做一组十二个
I can’t, I’ve had enough. One, two…
我不行了 我受不了了 一 二
Alfie, you’re doing too much. …three, four…
艾尔非 你练得太过了 三 四
You’ll kill your back again. …five…
你小心扭着你那老腰 五
He thinks he’s 21 ! …six.
他还当自己21岁呢 六
Those days are over. You’re not a young man anymore.
青春一去不复返 你早不是小伙子了
Jesus.
老天
You do push- ups,
你做再多俯卧撑
but the clock still ticks. You can’t fight time.
时间还是要流逝 你战胜不了时间
You see? She already has me dead and buried.
听见没 她已经把我说死 还埋土里了
But there’s longevity in my genes, and that’s what counts.
但是我基因里有长寿成分 这个最关键
Genes, right?
基因 对吧
Poor Helena.
可怜的海伦娜
She didn’t understand that truth is not beauty,
她不明白 真♥相♥不仅不如诗人所释一般美好
as the poet said, but quite the opposite.
反倒是残酷无情的
Alfie dumped her.
艾尔非甩了她
He bought a sports car. He took a flashy bachelor pad.
他买♥♥了辆跑车 买♥♥了花哨的单身公♥寓♥
Had his teeth whitened and his skin darkened.
做了牙齿美白 晒了古铜色的皮肤
And Helena? She took it like a trouper.
海伦娜呢 她就像电影老桥段一样
She had a nervous breakdown and popped 40 sleeping pills.
精神崩溃然后吞了四十片安♥眠♥药♥
She has become the official burden of her only child, Sally.
成了她独生女莎莉肩头的重担
Sally, who married Roy.
莎莉的老公叫罗伊
My daughter married badly.
我女儿嫁得很糟
Waste of education.
亏她接受了这么良好的教育
He graduated from medical
他是医科毕业的
school to give it all up to become a writer.
结果抛下一切当了作家
He’s had one successful novel and since then,
他就写过一本畅销小说 从那以后
he’s failed over and over!
就不停地失败啊失败
He’s a one-book phenomenon. He can’t accept that! Am I right?
这就叫江郎才尽 但他非不信 我说的没错吧
I mean, do you see a future for him,
我是说 你能看到他有什么前途
or was he just lucky the first time around?
还是只是幸运了一回
I want you to bring me something of his,
你得给我一些他的东西
something that he’s had close to him,
一些贴身物品
like a scarf or a glove or a T- shirt, all right, darling?
比如围巾 手套 T恤之类的 行吗亲爱的
I pay their bills!
我居然要给他们添生活费
Sally can’t survive on what she earns.
莎莉挣的钱不够过日子
He doesn’t work so he can stay at home and write.
他辞了工作好留时间在家写作
He’s been working on the same bloody novel for years.
可他那本狗血小说都写八百年了
It’s not entirely true, what Helena tells her swami.
海伦娜跟她面前这位大♥师♥说的话也不全是真的
Roy tried a while ago to earn money.
罗伊前些时候也试着去挣钱
It’s not that he didn’t try.
他也不是没努力尝试
He just wasn’t much of a chauffeur.
不过他实在不是当司机的料
I’ve had it with that goddamned job.
我真受够了那该死的工作
What? That’s it, I quit!
什么 老子不干了
Please, Roy, not this conversation again!
拜托 罗伊 别老说这种话
What are you doing home, anyway?
你在家又能干点什么
What happened?
怎么了
I had an accident today. I smashed up the car.
我今天出了车祸 把车撞烂了
What?
什么
I can’t write all night and then drive in the daytime!
我没法写一个通宵之后白天再去开车
I fell asleep at the wheel. Oh, God.
我开着开着睡着了 我的天
Well, are you okay? Did anyone get hurt?
你没事吧 有人受伤吗
Look, I need time to work on my book.
我需要时间写书
When are you gonna finish that book, anyway?
那你打算什么时候写完
I mean, how many times can you
那些章节你写了撕 撕了写
write and tear up and rewrite these chapters?
还要再来几回
It’s like you’re scared to finish.
你是不是害怕自己写完啊
Okay, you know what? You’re right.
知道吗 你说对了
I’m gun-shy.
我是怯场
I can’t handle it if it’s confirmed, yet again,
要是那些对我的美好预测
that all those nice things predicted about me were wrong.
到头来又是错的 我受不了
That I was a flash in the pan.
受不了自己就是昙花一现
Stalling is not the answer. Yeah.
拖拉也不是办法 对
Jesus Christ.
我的天
You know, all my friends have families.
我所有的朋友都成家立业了
And what are we doing here?
我们这算是什么
One way or the other, I want to move on with our lives.
不管怎么样 我不想再这样靠帮助活下去了
Roy’s attention was caught by a lovely apparition
罗伊的注意力被对面公♥寓♥的
moving into the flat across the way.
一片倩影吸引住了
He and Sally fought so much now,
他和莎莉总是吵架
it was hard to imagine that
难以想象
they fell so much in love when they first met.
他们初遇时是那么甜蜜
Are you okay? Yeah, I’m fine,
你没事吧 我没事
but he came straight out in front of me.
那个人就那么径直冲到我跟前
It looks so painful. It’s killing me.
看着很疼 疼死了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!