你真的太好心了,但我还得赶路
That’s very kind of you, but I have to be on my way.
谢谢
Thank you.
再见
Goodbye.
借个路,先生
Uh, excuse me, sir.
早安,年轻人
Good morning again, young sir.
想都别想
Don’t even think about it.
快下马
Get down off that horse.
请将手举到头上
Raise your hands above your head, please.
走到前面来
Come forward.

Stop.
你好吗?我是芬尼上尉
How do you do? I’m Captain Feeney.
芬尼上尉
Captain Feeney!
芬尼上尉,为你服务
Captain Feeney, at your service.
是那个芬尼上尉吗?
The Captain Feeney?
就是我
None other.
容我介绍,这是我的儿子萨慕斯
May I introduce you to my son…Seamus?
你好吗?
How do you do?
你好吗?
How do you do?
请问尊姓大名
To whom have I the honor of speaking?
我是瑞德蒙巴里
My name’s Redmond Barry.
你好吗,巴里先生?
How do you do, Mr. Barry?
现在我们得进入 令人较为不快的正事
Now we must get onto the more regrettable stage of our brief acquaintance.
转身,请把手高举过头
Turn around and keep your hands high above your head, please.
他带了二十基尼的金币,父亲
There must be 20 guineas in gold here, Father.
你似乎是个有钱人,先生
You seem to be a very well set up young gentleman, sir.
芬尼上尉,那是我母亲毕生的积蓄
Captain Feeney, that’s all the money my mother had in the world.
能让我留着吗?
Mightn’t I keep it?
我是个逃犯
I’m just one step ahead of the Law myself.
我在决斗中杀了一名英格兰军官 要到都柏林避锋头
I killed an English Officer in a duel, and I’m going to Dublin until things cool down.
巴里先生
Mr. Barry…
做我这一行,我们听过许多故事
…in my profession we hear many such stories.
你是这几个星期来 我听过最有趣动人的故事
Yours is the most intriguing and touching I’ve heard in weeks.
但我无法答应你的要求
Nevertheless, I cannot grant your request.
我会告诉你我打算怎么做
But, I’ll tell you what I will do.
我会让你留下那双好靴子 平常我会把靴子抢走
I’ll allow you to keep those fine boots, which normally I would have for myself.
下个城镇只有五哩远
The next town is only five miles away.
我建议你开始走吧
And I suggest you now start walking.
我不能留下我的马吗?
Mightn’t I keep my horse?
我很希望能满足你
I would like to oblige you…
但是像我们这样的人 动作必须比顾客快
…but, people like us must be able to travel faster than our clients.
再见,年轻人
Good day, young sir.
你可以把手放下了,巴里先生
You can put down your hands now, Mr. Barry.
(祝大麦堆健康)
盖尔步兵团 由查尔斯盖尔中将指挥
Gale’s Regiment of Foot, commanded by Lieutenant General Charles Gale…
在近来的纷扰中 他们的表现非常好
…which has distinguished itself during the recent troubles…
也需要找新人替补…
…wants several men to supply the places of those veterans…
一天可以拿到一先令退休金的老兵
…who have deserved to be pensioned at one shilling a day.
所有自♥由♥聪明的年轻人
All clever young fellows who are free and able…
有野心成为身怀武器的绅士
…and are ambitious of becoming gentlemen by bearing arms…
都可以跟募兵官谈一谈
…are hereby invited to meet the Recruiting Officer…
募兵官保证他们可以得到鼓励
…who promises that they shall meet with every encouragement…
他们该有的津贴跟亲切的态度
…that merit and good behavior can entitle them to.
符合条件的人立刻可以拿到
Those meeting the qualifications will immediately receive…
国王发给的一个半基尼
…His Majesty’s Royal Bounty of one and a half guineas…
还配给全套服装、武器跟装备
…with complete clothing, arms and accoutrements.
乔治国王与英格兰万岁
King George and Old England forever.
左,左,左,右,左
Left, left, left, right, left.
左,左,左,右,左
Left, left, left, right, left.
这个年轻人面临困境
For a young man in difficulty…
在决斗中杀了人 急欲逃避法律制裁
…who had killed a man in a duel and was anxious to find refuge from the Law…
有在欧洲战争中扬名立万的机会
…the chance to earn distinction in the European wars…
似乎是命运的眷顾
…seemed a stroke of good fortune.
乔治国王急需男丁 不在乎他们的背景
And King George needed men too much to heed from whence they came.
小子!
Hey, lad! Lad!
小子!
Lad!
能给我一个新杯子吗? 这个杯子油腻腻的
Can I have a new beaker? This one is full of grease.
油腻腻的! 给他一条毛巾跟一盆龟肉汤吧
Covered in grease! Give the gentleman a towel and a basin of turtle soup.
如果你想烦他,问他太太的事
If you want to vex him, ask him about his wife…
那个殴打他的洗衣妇
…the washerwoman, who beats him.
杜尔先生 那条毛巾是你老婆洗的吗?
Mr. Toole, is it a towel of your wife’s washing?
他们说她常拿毛巾抽你的脸
They say she wipes your face often with one.
问他昨天老婆来这里时 为什么他不肯见她
Ask him why he wouldn’t see her yesterday when she came here.
杜尔先生,杜尔太太来见你时 为什么你要躲起来?
Mr. Toole, why did you hide when Mrs. Toole came to visit you?
你害怕被打耳光吗?
Afraid of getting your ears boxed?
两位,如果你们愿意的话 可以来场赤手空拳的决斗
Gentlemen, you may fight it out with fists if you choose.
我们会为你们排出队形
We’ll form a square for that purpose.
两位男士,请到这边来
Gentlemen, step this way, please.
握手
Shake hands.
握手
Shake hands.
各自就位
Take your stance.
不准咬人、踢人或抓人
No biting, kicking or scratching.
撑到最后的人就赢了
The last man to remain standing is the winner.
两位,开始!
Gentlemen, commence fighting, now!
巴里继续在军营里受训
Barry’s training continued at the camp.
一个月内,他变成优秀的年轻士兵
Within a month he was transformed into a proper young soldier.
此时,步兵团兵力随着
The Regiment’s strength was steadily increased…
其他部队的加入,越来越庞大
…by the arrival of other troops…
准备到日耳曼投入战争
…in preparation for joining their armies fighting in Germany.
某一天
One occasion…
他见到了那场致命决斗里的助手
…brought the welcome appearance of his second in the fatal duel…
葛洛根上尉
…Captain Grogan.
我们都很想知道你的近况
It would have helped if we’d known what had become of you.
你没想过要写信给你母亲吗?
Didn’t you think of writing to your mother?
我当然想过
Of course.
但我觉得很丢脸,弄丢了她的钱
But the shame I felt of losing her money…
我爸爸的剑跟手♥枪♥
…my father’s sword and pistols….
我不知道怎么跟她说
I couldn’t tell her.
她不在乎那些东西
She wouldn’t care about those things.
她只关心你
You are her only concern.
今晚你得好好写封信给她
Tonight you must write her a proper letter.
跟她说你平安无事
Tell her that you’re safe and well.
我会的
I will.
布莱迪小姐还好吗?
Is Miss Brady well?
现在只有六位布莱迪小姐
There are only six Miss Bradys now.
诺拉出事了吗?
Has something happened to Nora?
你离开后她很难过
She took on so about your going away…
必须找个丈夫安慰自己
…that she had to console herself with a husband.
现在她是约翰奎恩太太
She is now Mrs. John Quin.
约翰奎恩太太?
Mrs. John Quin?
还有别的约翰奎恩吗?
Was there another John Quin?

No.
就是原来的约翰奎恩,孩子 他的伤势康复了
The same, me boy. He recovered from his wound.
你那一枪没杀了他,那是空包弹
The shot you hit him with could not hurt him. It was made of tow.
空包弹?
Tow?
布莱迪家族不可能让你 害他们一年损失一千五百镑
The Bradys wouldn’t let you kill 1, 500 a year out of the family.
他们安排决斗,目的是为了除掉你
The plan of the duel was arranged in order to get you out of the way.
懦弱的奎恩不同意举♥行♥婚礼
The cowardly Quin couldn’t be brought to marry…
因为他怕你
…from fear of you.
但你真的打中他了,我的孩子
But hit him you certainly did, me lad.
不过子弹是空包弹
With a fine thick plugget of tow.
他吓昏了,一小时后才醒过来
He was so frightened, it took him an hour to come to.
你需要钱吗?
Are you in want of cash?
你可以跟我开口 你姨丈给我几百镑
You may draw on me. For I got a couple of hundred from your uncle.
有了那笔钱,你可以不愁吃穿
While that lasts, you shall never want.
只有伟大的历史学家才能解释
It would require a great historian to explain the causes…
欧洲七年战争的起因
…of the Seven Years’ War in Europe…
巴里的部队出发投入战争
…to which Barry’s regiment was now on its way.
就这么说吧 英格兰跟普鲁士结盟
Let it suffice to say, that England and Prussia were allies…
投入战争对抗…
…and at war against…
法国、瑞典、俄♥罗♥斯♥跟奥地利
…France, Sweden, Russia and Austria.
巴里初尝战争滋味

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!