但他守不住财产
…but incapable of keeping one.
有天分跟能力赚钱的人
For the qualities and energies which lead a man to achieve the first…
通常也因此落得倾家荡产
…are often the very cause of his ruin in the latter case.
现在他得处理一大堆事务 有更多的责任
Now he was burdened with the harassing cares and responsibilities…
都是头衔跟财产带来的压力
…which are the dismal adjuncts of great rank and property.
此时,他的日子…
And his life now…
多半忙于写信给律师 跟财产管理人
…seemed to consist mostly of drafts of letters to lawyers and money-brokers…
忙着应付…
…and endless correspondence…
设计师跟厨师
…with decorators and cooks.
两位,我要离开几分钟 继续做功课
Gentlemen, I’m going to leave you for a few minutes. Carry on with your work.
是的
Yes, sir.
布林
Bully.
嗯?
Mm-hm?
“费力”…
What does…
是什么意思?
…”strenuous” mean?
布莱恩,我在念书
Bryan, I’m trying to work.
那是什么意思?
But what does it mean?
意思是花力气去做一件事
It means “an effort requiring strength.”
“四边形”是什么意思?
What does “quadrangle” mean?
四边形是有四个边的形状 譬如正方形或长方形
A quadrangle is a four-sided figure like a square or a rectangle.
请安静点,我要做功课
Now, please be quiet, and let me get on with my work.
布莱恩,请你安静一点!
Bryan, please be quiet!
你有看到我的铅笔吗?
Have you seen my pencil?
我没看到
No, I haven’t.
布莱恩,请你不要吵我
Bryan, please stop making so much noise.
那是我的铅笔
That’s my pencil.
才不是!
No, it isn’t.
-就是,那是我的铅笔! -这不是你的!
It is. It’s my pencil!
整个早上我都在用这支铅笔
I’ve had this all morning.
-这是我的铅笔! -去坐下!
It’s my pencil!
-这是我的铅笔! -听着,拜托你安静一点!
Listen, will you be quiet!
那是我的铅笔!
It’s my pencil!
我要好好教训你
I’ll teach you a lesson.
到底是怎么一回事?
What the devil’s going on in here?
我说过不准你对这孩子动手
I told you never to lay a hand on this child.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five.

-Aah! -Six.
你打完了吗,瑞德蒙巴里先生?
Will that be all, Mr. Redmond Barry?
对,我打完了
Yes, that will be all.
那么你得听我说
Well then, look you now.
从现在开始 我不会再接受你的处罚
From this moment, I will submit to no further chastisement from you.
你敢再打我,我会杀了你
I will kill you if you lay hands on me ever again.
你听清楚了吗?
Is that clear to you, sir?
给我滚出去
Get out of here!
你不觉得他跟我的鞋 他穿得很合适吗,夫人?
Don’t you think he fits my shoes very well, Your Ladyship?
亲爱的孩子
Dear child…
我还活着,对你来说真的很不幸
…what a pity it is I’m not dead, for your sake.
林登家会有个适当的继承人
The Lyndons would then have a worthy representative…
享受显赫的巴里家族…
…and enjoy all the benefits…
带来的所有福利
…of the illustrious blood of the Barrys of Barryville.
对吧…
Would they not…
瑞德蒙巴里先生?
…Mr. Redmond Barry?
我有多爱这个孩子
From the way I love this child…
你就该知道我有多爱他的哥哥
…you ought to know how I would’ve loved his elder brother…
如果他也能爱他的母亲
…had he proved worthy of any mother’s affection.
夫人!
Madam!
我一直在忍♥受
I have borne as long as mortal could endure…
你的爱尔兰丈夫对我的无礼虐待
…the ill treatment of the insolent Irish upstart whom you’ve taken to your bed.
不只是他的低微出身 跟粗鲁举止让我觉得恶心
It is not only his lowly birth and the brutality of his manners which disgust me.
还有他对夫人做出的可耻行为
But the shameful nature of his conduct toward Your Ladyship…
他残酷野蛮的举动
…his brutal and ungentlemanlike behavior…
还有公开背叛你
…his open infidelity…
无♥耻♥地强取豪夺你跟我的财产
…his shameless robberies and swindling of my property, and yours.
我无法亲自鞭笞这个卑贱恶徒 也无法忍♥受…
And as I cannot personally chastise this low-bred ruffian, and cannot bear…
见证他对你的所作所为
…to witness his treatment of you…
我厌恶有他在身边 对他避之唯恐不及
…and loathe his company as if it were the plague…
因此我决定离开我自己的家 再也不会回来
…I have decided to leave my home and never return.
至少在他可憎的余生
At least, during his detested life…
或者我的有生之年,我不会回来
…or during my own.
你好,爵爷
Good day, My Lord.
你好,贝克
Good day, Barker.
有人陪你一起来吗,爵爷?
Will anyone be joining Your Lordship?
不,我是一个人
No, I shall be alone.
谢谢
Thank you.
烤牛肉很不错,爵爷
The roast beef’s very good, My Lord.
嗯哼
Uh-huh.
尼维,你好吗?
Hello, Neville. How are you?
巴里,你好
Ah, Barry. Hello.
我看到你是一个人 何不过来跟我一起坐呢?
I see you’re alone. Why don’t you join me?
谢谢你,巴里,你太好心了 可是…
Oh, thank you, Barry, you’re very kind, but…
我在等人
…I’m expecting someone to join me.
真可惜 林登夫人跟我最近很想念你
What a shame! Lady Lyndon and I have missed your company lately.
请帮我跟林登夫人问好
Please give my respects to Lady Lyndon…
最近我很忙,没办法常过去
…and say I’ve been very busy of late and not been able to go about much.
我会的
I shall.
下个月八号♥ 我们要邀请客人过来打牌
The eighth of next month we’re having some guests over for cards…
希望你跟温多佛夫人能一起来
…we’d love to have you and Lady Wendover join us.
我得看一下行事历 但我想那晚我应该有事
I’ll check my diary, but I think I’m engaged on that evening.
希望你能把事情排开 我们很想再见到你
I hope you’re not engaged. We’d love to see you again.
我再写信告诉你,我有没有空
I’ll write and say if I’m free or not.
我很期待能听到你的回音 很高兴能再见到你
I look forward to hearing from you. It’s nice to see you again.
就算他真的杀了布林顿子爵
If he had murdered Lord Bullingdon…
巴里也不会得到 这么多冷淡愤慨的回应
…Barry could scarcely have been received with more coldness and resentment…
现在走到哪里,他都面临这样的窘境
…that now followed him in town and country.
朋友远离了他
His friends fell away from him.
大家都说他虐待他的继子
A legend arose of his cruelty to his stepson.
现在他还得烦心呆帐的问题
Now all the bills came down on him together.
结婚多年来,他签下大量的帐单
All the bills he had been contracting for the years of his marriage…
债主急着上门讨债
…and which the creditors sent in with a hasty unanimity.
数目惊人
Their amount was frightful.
巴里被一大堆的帐单、债务
Barry was now bound up in an inextricable toil of bills and debts…
贷款、保险跟他的恶行所淹没
…of mortgages and insurances, and all the evils attendant upon them.
林登夫人的收入几乎无法…
Lady Lyndon’s income was hampered almost irretrievably…
支付这些款项
…to satisfy these claims.
你觉得可以吗?
Do you think that’s good?
非常好
Excellent.
这是谁?
Who’s this?
这是墙上的孔雀
It’s a peacock on the wall.
上面写了什么?
What’s it say?
昨天我看到这只鸟
I saw this bird yesterday.
那是谁?
Who’s that?
妈妈坐在马车里
Mama in her coach.
她要去伦敦吗?
Is she going to London?
我不知道
I don’t know.
挡开
Parry.
挡开
Parry.
非常好
Very good.
巴里犯了很多错误
Barry had his faults…
但没有人能说他不是个好父亲
…but no man could say of him that he was not a good and tender father.
他宠溺他的儿子
He loved his son with a blind partiality.
从来不拒绝他的要求
He denied him nothing.
很难描述他对儿子的期待有多高
It is impossible to convey what high hopes he had for the boy…
他殷切期盼
…and how he indulged in a thousand fond anticipations…
未来他会是个有成就的人
…as to his future success and figure in the world.
但命运注定他无法留下血脉
But fate had determined that he should leave none of his race behind him…
他的余生则会是…
…that he should finish his life…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!