the world is a devastating place.
若是你不想被法律和爱情毁掉的话
You must learn to protect your emotions
你就必须学会
if you wish to prevent matters both of law
掩藏你的情绪
and love, from devastating you.
很高兴见到你 约翰
Good to see you, John.
法庭上请肃静 肃静
Silence in the court! Silence!
英国最高法♥院♥上诉法庭
The Appeal Court of the King’s Bench
格雷格森对吉尔伯特一案
case of Gregson versus Gilbert.
我今天在此
I am here today…
将对于下级法♥院♥提交上来的
to rule on certain matters…
关于奴隶船桑格号♥的相关事宜
referred to me from the Lower Court
做出宣判
in the case of the slave ship Zong.
感谢您的到访 沃恩先生
How kind of you to come, Mr. Vaughn.
我一直都想带您看看
I have thought of nothing else but showing
玛丽阿姨养的菊花
you Aunt Mary’s chrysanthemums.
我很荣幸 默里小姐
What a pleasure, Miss Murray.
你也来吧 妈妈
You too, Mama.
玛丽阿姨
Aunt Mary?
船上奴隶是否由于漫长旅程中饮用水不足
Whether the enslaved cargo was jettisoned in emergency
危及到船长和船员性命
to save captain and crew from certain death
才在紧急状况下被抛弃
when the extended journey threatened shortage of drinking water.
不 我再也不干了
No. Never again.
那我就自己驾车过去
Then allow me to take the reins.
首先我要说明的是
Now let me be clear…
船上缺少饮用水
the loss of water on a ship
是件极其危险的事情
constitutes a singularly dangerous affair.
缺水而造成的暴♥动♥ 奴隶们的敌意
Insurrection of thirsty and hostile slaves
极具高涨 再加上要和那么多人一起
at its extreme, and an impossible task
分享所剩不多的淡水储备
to share diminished water
简直是不可能的事
reserve amongst all those living, at best.
每一项都对海员的生命造成极大威胁
Each implies a severe threat to the lives of the seamen.
在这种紧急情况下
And in such emergency circumstances
我们的法律是透明且明确的
our law is transparent and unequivocal.
抛弃奴隶是合法的
The jettisoning of enslaved cargo is legal!
保险公♥司♥应该给予赔偿
And it beholds the insurers to pay losses.

No!
法庭上请肃静
Silence in court!
先生们 法庭上请肃静
Gentlemen, silence in court!
然而
However
桑格号♥的状况并不是这样
these were not the circumstances of the Zong.
奴隶们并不是因为缺水才被抛弃
Slaves were not jettisoned because water supplies ran low.
实际上 证据表明该船驶过八个港口
Indeed, evidence shows the ship sailed past 8 ports
却没有停下来补充水源
without pausing to restore water supplies.
我的调查表明那些奴隶
My finding is that the slaves
被抛弃 被杀害是因为桑格号♥的船主
were jettisoned, killed, because the Zong ship’s owners
选择高密度地运送他们的奴隶
chose a tight packing fashion to transport their slaves.
他们知道这样做的风险
They knew the risk since this fashion of transportation
就是会引起奴隶生病
is well-known to cause disease in slaves.
这种疾病将使得桑格号♥船上的奴隶
Disease that rendered the Zong slaves
无法卖♥♥出
impossible to sell.
法庭上请肃静 先生们 肃静
Silence in the court! Gentlemen, silence!
将船上的生命
It is not legal…
赶下船丢下水 就为了获得保险赔偿
to discharge lives from a ship into the waters
是不合法的
to facilitate insurance compensation.
不管是马还是人
Whether they be the lives of horses
奴隶或自♥由♥人
or human beings, slaves or otherwise
这么做既不合法
it is not legal
也不合理
neither is it right.
很显然 船主仅仅为了经济上获利
It is clear that a fraud has been committed
欺诈保险公♥司♥为淹死的奴隶
in claiming insurance on slaves who were drowned
做出赔偿
solely for financial gain.
我认为
It is my opinion
奴隶制
that the state of slavery
十分丑恶
is so odious a position
不该得到任何支持
that nothing may support it.
纵使天堂陷落
Let justice be done
正义也须申张
though the heavens may fall.
我宣判保险公♥司♥不予赔偿
I find in favor of the insurers
并且推♥翻♥下级法♥院♥的判决
and overturn the decision of the Lower Court.
全体起立
All rise!
你不要怪达文尼尔先生
You may not blame Mr. Davinier.
我今天来完全是出于自己的意愿
My attendance today is absolutely at my own volition.
我清楚 黛朵
I’m fully aware, Dido.
阁下 您今天的判决让我深受鼓舞
My Lord, I am inspired by your decision today.
从此我们将开始新的篇章
We will not go backwards from here.
历史将会验证你的乐观是否正确
History will judge whether your optimism is warranted.
你是个有信念的人
You’re a man of conviction.
我在努力
I’m trying to be.
我没有改变我的主意
I’ve not changed my mind.
她必须嫁给一位绅士
She is to marry a gentleman.
达文尼尔难道不是位绅士吗
And Mr. Davinier is not a gentleman?
他的确是
He is, indeed.
我喜欢他 爸爸
My affections are with him, Papa.
所以他应该有份适合他的职业
And that is why he should have an occupation befitting one.
我非他不嫁
I wish for nothing if not to be his wife.
达文尼尔先生 我想让你
Mr. Davinier, I would like
明天一早来我的法♥院♥
you to attend my chambers in the morning.
有些事你可以帮我的忙
There are some matters you can assist me with.
-阁下 -另外 如果你愿意的话
– Your Lordship? – And, if you think it’s a good idea
我想赞助你就读英国律师学院
I would like to facilitate your entry into the Inns of Court.
我乐意之极 阁下
I think it is a very good idea, my Lord.
这是真的吗
Can it be true?
当然 他能感受到我的感受
Of course. He sees what I see.
他说得也很清楚
His words were as clear as…

No.
不 我是说 你真的爱我吗
No, that your feelings for me are so?
你真的愿意嫁给我
That you would be my wife?
因为我无法想象没有你的生活
Because I cannot conceive of a life without you.
我爱你
I love you
我用我的一切
for all that you are
爱着
and with all
完完整整的你
all that I am.
黛朵和约翰婚后育有两子
桑格号♥案成为废除奴隶制的导火索
伊丽莎白·默里结婚后育有三子
黛朵和伊丽莎白的油画悬挂在肯伍德直到1922年
今日该油画悬挂于苏格兰的曼斯菲尔德爵士的出生地斯康王宫

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!