1769年
英国是当时的殖民帝国和奴隶贸易中心
她真可爱
How lovely she is.
真像她妈妈
So much of her mother.
别害怕
Do not be afraid.
我带你去过好日子
I am here to take you to a good life.
这是你本就应得的
A life that you were born to.

Here.
佳人蓓尔
根据真实事件改编
汉普斯特村 肯伍德庄园
伊丽莎白·默里
Elizabeth Murray!
立刻给我回来
Bring yourself back here this very moment!
她妈妈死了
Her mother is dead.
我求你了 叔叔
I beg you, Uncle… love her,
不管我在不在都一样
as I would were I here…
接纳她去爱她
and ensure that she is in receipt
因为她是我的骨肉
of all that is due to her as a child of mine.
这绝对不可能
That is simply impossible.
这是理所应当的事 没有什么不可能
What is right… can never be impossible.
但她是黑人
She is black.
她是我的骨肉
She is my blood.
但她是黑人
But she is black.
这一点你略过没提
A detail you chose not to share with us.
过几小时我就要带队
In a few hours I am to captain
去印度群岛进行追踪性研究
a voyage to the Indies on a longitude experiment.
之后的事 谁知道呢
After that, who knows?
我无权过问国王与他的皇家海军
It is not in my gift to question the King and his Royal Navy.
你考虑过我的处境 我的声誉吗
Do you have in mind my position, my reputation?
-先生 -我可是首席法官
– Sir. – I am the Lord Chief Justice.
做事有点分寸
Have some sense of propriety,
知道自己在要求什么
boy, and understand what it is you are asking.
她可是黑白混血
She is a mulatto.
她叫什么
What has she been named?
她叫蓓尔 用了她妈妈的名字
She is Belle. After her mother.
黛朵·伊丽莎白·蓓尔·琳赛
Dido Elizabeth belle Lindsay.
她跟你姓
She takes your name?
我不觉得羞耻
I am not ashamed.
我们会叫她黛朵
We will call her Dido.
天哪 她如此瘦弱
Good Lord, she is thin.
玛丽 带她去吃点东西
Mary, find her some food.
小甜心
Sweet child.
那艘船…
A ship is…
不是你这种宝贝该待的地方
no place for one so precious as you.
在这里
In these walls…
你会作为我的孩子生活着
yours will be a life equal to my blood.
你现在还不能明白
And you will not understand in this moment…
但你只要知道我爱你
but know in your heart you are loved.
就像我爱你的妈妈一样
Just as I loved your mother.
你就是他们说的黑鬼吗
Are you what they call a ‘negro’?
我听到他们谈话了
I heard them talking.
问题一个接一个 伊丽莎白
Questions, questions, Elizabeth. A most
跟你♥爸♥爸一样 真是气人
irritating trait you share with your father.
法官爸爸吗
Papa M?
不 你的生父
No! Your birth papa,
大卫·默里先生
Sir David Murray.
你不应该想说什么就说什么 知道吗
You should not always insist on speaking your mind, you know.
否则你会孤独终老
You’ll end up an old maid,
自娱自乐聊以自♥慰♥
with only your own company as entertainment.
就像你一样吗 玛丽阿姨
Like you, Aunt Mary?
女仆们都这么说
That’s what the maids say.
小兔崽子
Oh, you little…
被我抓住有你好看的
Just wait till I catch you.
伊丽莎白 给我回来
Elizabeth, come back here this moment!
这儿也有我的画像 你想看吗
There’s one of me, too. Would you like to see it?
威廉·默里
William Murray.
曼斯菲尔德第一代伯爵
1st Earl of Mansfield.
这儿
Now…
这是我的外甥 知道吗
this is my nephew. Do you understand?
就是你的叔叔
It’s your uncle…
大卫·默里先生
Sir David Murray.
伊丽莎白的父亲
Elizabeth’s papa?
是的 你真聪明
Yes, that’s right. You’re very sharp.
第七代斯托蒙子爵
7th Viscount Stormont who will inherit…
我死以后…他会继承一切
everything we are standing on… when I am gone.
在英国出生的
Born on English soil.
确实
Indeed.
他在一艘被俘虏的西班牙奴隶船上
He discovered her mother
认识了她母亲
aboard a captured Spanish slave ship.
所以 现在我们得照看两个侄女
So… now we have 2 nieces in our guardianship.
也好 伊丽莎白也需要同伴
Well, Elizabeth was in much need of a companion.
当被问起的时候就这么说
And that is what we shall say when questions are asked.
我们应该说她生来
We shall say that, in accordance with her birthright,
就有权生活在这片屋檐下
she is entitled to live beneath this roof.
这是理所应当的
That is the nature of order.
那她的肤色呢
And where in that order should her color be placed?
是否比她的默里血统更重要
Above or below her Murray bloodline?
-结婚呢 -不可能
– Marriage? – Impossible.
凭她外缘血统配上的婚姻
Any match her ‘other origins’ would attract would…
不但会使她蒙羞 也会降低家族地位
surely disgrace her and the family’s rank.
当我们不在了呢
And when we are no longer here?
没有丈夫 谁来照顾她
No husband… who will take care of her then?
编个玫瑰花环 口袋飘香四溢
Ring a ring o’ roses A pocket full of posies
阿嚏 阿嚏 我们都倒地
Atishoo, atishoo We all fall down!
女孩们
Girls!
别尖叫了 别像个讨厌的法国人
Will you refrain from shrieking! Like the blessed French!
我从没有跟你说过这么重要的事
I have no experience in the ways of breaking grave news to you.
我还以为会有一天
I had thought I should one day…
有机会去好好了解他
have the opportunity to make his better acquaintance.

Yes.
是的 我知道
Yes, I know.
一年2000英镑
2,000 pounds a year?
那么你就是继承者了
Then you are an heiress.
他留给了你一大笔财富
He has left you your fortune.
我爸爸的新妻子希望他别给我留任何东西
My father’s new wife wishes him to leave me not a thing
他答应了
and he obliges her.
我觉得如果妈妈没死他会更爱我
I think he might have loved me more if mama had not died.
我觉得 爱是个复杂的东西
I think… love must be a very complicated thing.
有这么丰厚的嫁妆
With such a dowry,
你想嫁哪就嫁哪
you may marry into any good family you wish.
我们要接待访客吃晚餐
We shall be receiving visitors for dinner.
访客 谁会来这拜访
Visitors? Whoever bothers to visit us here?
除了死人也没人能离开这
Or leave, except the dead.
再说一遍 黛朵
Once again, Dido?
床 玛丽阿姨
Beds… Aunt Mary.
我们应该准备一些床位
We should prepare some
以防我们的客人想留宿
extra beds in case our visitors are to stay.
我们能穿新的丝绸衣吗
May we wear the new silk?
我给你做头发 贝蒂
I will do your hair, Bette.
玛丽阿姨 让我们穿新衣服吧
Say we may wear them, Aunt Mary.
你不能跟我们一起吃晚饭 黛朵
You will not be dining with us, Dido.
我知道
Of course.
可我可以饭后加入 不是吗
But I may join after dinner, may I not?
可以 你应该很了解规矩
Yes. Such are the rules and you know them well.
爸 为什么仆人们没有资格跟我就餐
Papa, how may I be too high in rank to dine with the servants…
而我又没有资格跟家人用餐呢
and too low to dine with my family?
和客人吃饭是一个正式的事 黛朵
Dinner with guests is a formal proceeding, Dido.
我们不能强迫客人们
We simply can’t impose upon
和我们一样忽视礼节
visitors our disregard of those formalities.
我现在不是很富有吗
But… am I not wealthy now?
我是继承者 我现在已经不一样了
An heiress? Surely that changes matters.
亲爱的 没这么简单
Oh, my dear. If it were so simple.
钱财是会带来改变

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!