Without knowing, privately, that my heart stopped a moment
我的心都会停止跳动
each time that he looked at me.
即使是你也有可能
It is possible that even you
无法对抗改变 亲爱的
cannot fight change, my darling.
有时无法对抗是因为你也身在其中
Sometimes you cannot fight it because you are a part of it.
你爱她吗
Do you love her?
我视她为己出
As though she were created of you and me.
所以我才不能
And that is why
眼睁睁看着她自降身价
I simply will not see her diminished.
温彻斯特侯爵的侄女
The niece of the Marquis of Winchester.
詹姆斯·阿什福德先生
Mr. James Ashford is to
要娶温彻斯特侯爵的侄女
marry the niece of the Marquis of Winchester.
我在报纸上看到的
I’m reading it here.
你未来的婆婆肯定欢呼雀跃 黛朵
Well, that will render your future mother-in-law ecstatic, Dido.
你绝不能告诉任何人
Don’t you dare say a word.
我不会的
I won’t.
为什么
Why
为什么他们总是这样
why do they always do that?
谁啊 贝蒂
Who, Bette?
男人
Men.
他们就这样一走了之再不回来
They just leave and never come back.
我在快活园
I saw you with Mr. Davinier
见到你与达文尼尔先生在一起
at the Pleasure Garden.
你怎么也没跟我说
You said nothing.
我想等你自己告诉我
I wanted you to tell me.
我希望你信任我
To trust me.
我应该告诉你的
I should have.
你知道吗
You know
要是我能像你一样有选择的权利
if I had your choice
我肯定会选自己爱的人
I would choose the man I loved.
我只希望他值得你爱
I simply hope he’s worth it.
我通常不会
I am not in the habit of
对一件事情的缘由再三追问
requiring an explanation more than twice
但这次你得原谅我必须这么做
but on this occasion you will have to forgive me.
反复纠缠毫无意义
There is little point in repetition.
那我看看我是否明白了
Then let me be clear I understand.
你的养女 黑白混血的养女
Your charge, your mulatto charge…
-够了 -我说的不对吗 夫人
– That is enough! – Is it not true, Your Ladyship?
她的血统
Whose unfortunate circumstances,
我们也决定不予计较了
at birth, we chose to forgive
可她却决定解除与我儿子 一位绅士
has decided she no longer wishes the match with my son
同时也是一位军官的婚约
a gentleman and an officer?
为什么
Why,
琳赛小姐
Miss Lindsay?
你难道认为我就不需要
Do you feel I have any lesser need
确保我孩子的幸福和未来吗
to ensure my child’s wellbeing and future than you?
她哑巴了吗
Does she still have a tongue?
我会讲话 夫人
I have a tongue… madam.
而你说的话足以解释
Though yours explains well enough
我不愿嫁给你儿子的原因
why I may not marry your son.
你认为我的境况是不幸
You view my circumstances as unfortunate
而我跟我的那些同胞们相比
though I cannot claim even a portion of the misfortune
远远谈不上不幸
to those whom I most closely resemble.
我最大的不幸将是嫁入一个
My greatest misfortune would be to marry into a family
以我为耻的家庭
who would carry me as their shame
就像我被迫以我母亲为耻一样
as I have been required to carry my own mother.
她的罪行就是生为黑人
Her apparent crime to be born negro
而我则是她的罪证
and mine to be the evidence.
既然我不愿否认我的母亲
Since I wish to deny her no more
也不愿否认自己
than I wish to deny myself
所以请原谅我不想嫁给一个
you will pardon me for wanting a husband
觉得需要”宽恕”我的出身
who feels ‘forgiveness’ of my bloodline
并且毫无风度的人
is both unnecessary and without grace.
我要把它挂在肯伍德
It will hang at Kenwood.
真的吗
Will it?
你为什么这么惊讶
Why should that surprise you?
为什么不会
Why should it not?
你在看什么书
What are you reading?
一位名叫托马斯·戴的先生写的书
A gentleman named Thomas Day.
他谈到一名同意娶英国女士为妻的奴隶
He speaks of a slave who agreed to marry an English lady.
他替人♥民♥讲话
A voice for people
那些像我母亲一样
people like my mother
没有发言权的人♥民♥
who do not have one.
你在这种书中找到了自我吗
Do you find yourself in such writing?
我在任何地方都找不到自我
I don’t know that I find myself anywhere.
你想要什么 黛朵
What do you want, Dido?
你到底在寻找什么
What precisely are you looking for?
我做了所有可以让你
I have enabled every rule of convention
找到自我的事情
so that you would know exactly where you belong
但这一切对你来说还是不够
and yet little appears enough for you.
要是没有法律呢 爸爸
And what if there were not a rule, Papa?
要是不存在允许你收养我的法律呢
What if the rule that allowed you to take me did not exist?
你会把我扔回贫民窟吗
Would you have returned me to the slums?
你很勇敢
You are courageous.
当你遇到你坚信的事情
When it comes to the matters you believe in,
周遭社会就变得无足轻重了
society is inconsequential.
只要你够在乎 你不惜违反所有法规
You break every rule when it matters enough,
爸爸 我就是证据
Papa. I am the evidence.
这幅画就是证据
This painting is the evidence.
看看他们 针锋相对
Look at them. For and Against at each other’s throats.
那些教友派的信徒是怎么进来的
How on earth did the damn Quakers find their way in here?
你是个勇敢的人
You are a brave man,
在宣判的前一晚来跟这些团体协商
negotiating these quarters on the eve of your judgment.
你终于要开口了
Finally you are to speak.
要是英国毁了 都是你的错
If England is destroyed, we shall blame you.
宗教信仰不是道德准则的唯一守护
Religion not being the only guardian of our morality.
当然不是 还有个人责任感
Of course not. There is self-responsibility.
要是这也不管用的话 法律难道没有责任吗
And failing that, does the law not have a duty?
法官和议会难道没有责任
Does the Bench and Parliament
维护并且立法来促进我们的道德准则
not have a duty to uphold and create the laws
而不是阻碍它的进步吗
that progress our morality not retard it?
即使不是为了保护我们不受他人侵害
If not to protect us from
也该防止我们自我伤害
others then to protect us from ourselves.
允许我们贬低
Laws that allow us to
其他任何人的人性的法律都不是法律
diminish the humanity of anybody are not laws.
它们是犯罪的根源
They are frameworks for crime.
我不在乎你作为一个个人
I do not care if you, as an individual,
是否有人性或是有良知
are without character or conscience.
但是如果一个国家的法律鼓励而不是约束
But a land whose laws sanction, not control
其公民中的野蛮风气
the barbarous among its citizens,
那这个国家就没希望了
that is a country whose hope is lost.
你为什么这么在乎这件事呢
Why does it matter to you so much?
阁下 我看过你的笔记
M’lord… I have seen your notes!
要是他们真的需要水 早就可以补充了
If they had wanted water, they could have had it.
是黛朵拿走的
Dido took them.
阁下 若你做出对那些商人有利的判决
M’lord! If you find for the traders
你就是在法律上认可
you will be formalizing
给奴隶上保险的概念
in law the concept of insuring human cargo.
没错
That’s correct.
开车
Drive.
那请您记得 有一天您归西后
Then know that when you are gone,
您的遗产将会让琳赛小姐活在一个
your legacy will be to have left Miss Lindsay
生不如死的世界里
in a world where she may be worth more dead than alive.
琳赛小姐不是奴隶
Miss Lindsay is not a slave.
真是谢天谢地
By the very grace of God.
这件事与琳赛小姐无关
This is not about Miss Lindsay.
当然有关
Of course it is.
这与我们所有人都有关
It’s about all of us.
与所有事情都有关 所有重要的事情
It’s about everything. Everything that’s important.
达文尼尔先生
Mr. Davinier…
这个世界是个危险的地方

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!